PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Bill Simmons: "This game sucked"

Stevo
02-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Another Steeler-hater. This guy is writing an opinion article about a game he admits he didn't really watch. And his whole view is based on the fact that the Steelers cost him money that he bet.

And he is getting paid to do this type of garbage during a recession?

Any thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090202&sportCat=nfl

The retroactive Super Bowl running diary

By Bill Simmons
Page 2

Updated: February 2, 2009

Midway through the third quarter of Super Bowl XLIII, I was congratulating myself for attending a party instead of writing about the game. Pittsburgh was driving with a 10-point lead. The Cardinals had a salad fork sticking out of them ever since the 14-point swing at the end of the first half, when James Harrison unleashed his amazing 100-yard TAINT with help from the officials (who ignored LaMarr Woodley's blatant clipping and Harrison's getting tackled just short of the goal line). Other than that one play, this was a snoozefest. We weren't even getting enough Cuba Gooding Jr. shots.

So how did Pittsburgh almost blow this thing? Again, I was watching the game at a party. You eat and drink and talk to people at parties. I spent most of my night talking to friends and having inane conversations such as when my friend Ace and I tried to figure out if there was a sports equivalent to Sondra Locke's career.

(cont...)

Here's the point: I was talking to friends, semi-watching the game, adding up all my "winning" Pittsburgh-related bets and having a grand old time. Then a switch flipped and it turned into one of the better Super Bowl endings ever. (Note to anyone playing the "greatest ever" card -- we quickly overrate the Super Bowl every time it's good. Settle down. The fourth quarter wasn't any more exciting than the Panthers-Pats game. Fitzgerald's long TD wasn't any more or less exciting than Isaac Bruce's long TD that won the Rams-Titans game. The ending wasn't any more dramatic than Bills-Giants or Niners-Bengals II. Let the record show that this game sucked for three solid quarters except for the Harrison play.) And as I was driving home, I couldn't help but think

"What the hell just happened?"

(cont...)

In retrospect, it was the second-weirdest "Why didn't anyone seem to care that the ending was shady?" sequence, narrowly trailing Game 7 of the 1988 NBA Finals, when the Lakers' crowd stormed the court with three seconds remaining, then Magic body-blocked Isiah right before he attempted the game-tying 3-pointer ... no call. That will never be topped. The Warner "fumble" was close though. I thought it seemed like a pass. What do I know? I just know that I lost my Super Bowl pick. And a little money.

So what did we learn from Super Bowl XLIII? Don't pick a Super Bowl team that can't run the ball or protect its QB to cover a seven-point spread. Don't cheer in the press box even if your son is making one of the most exhilarating Super Bowl plays ever. Don't listen to Cousin Sal on Super Bowl prop bets. Don't show your hands to John Madden if they're big and strong. Don't rush to call an exciting Super Bowl game "the greatest ever!" just because it's fun to say or write things like that. Don't ignore Mike Lombardi's Super Bowl advice. Don't try to figure out how this Cards team inexplicably caught fire, developed a heart and came within one defensive stand from winning four straight playoff games and a title, because the NFL is officially as unpredictable as March Madness and that's just the way it is. And don't go to a Super Bowl party if you write about sports for a living. You never know what might happen.

fansince'76
02-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Simmons is a Pats* ballwasher. Next. :coffee:

CanadianSteel
02-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Ya he can suck the big one like all the other Steeler haters in the Media....

Harrison92
02-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Bitchass trick

Edman
02-03-2009, 09:59 AM
The game "sucked" because Tom Gaydy and Belicheat weren't there.

Go suck on one Simmons.

Dino 6 Rings
02-03-2009, 09:59 AM
His is the one PodCast I can't get through...so his opinion of the game, means crap to me.

Fck Him...Fck all haters.

MikeTheGreaseMan
02-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Even if you are a Steeler Hater, how can you honestly say 'this game sucked?' I think it proves he's just an idiot, not a Steeler Hater. What a douche........

Here's something to stir the pot during the offseason:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34998278@N05/3250934624/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34998278@N05/3250934624/

kmsteelerwr15
02-03-2009, 10:14 AM
maybe he would have enjoyed the game more if he actually watched it, instead of having coffee talk with these alleged "friends"

BleedBlacknGold0
02-03-2009, 10:38 AM
People who act disinterested like this are generally just bitter. I read this article the other day and didn't pay any attention to it.

My buddy is a Ravens fan and all he said all week was how the Ravens let the Steelers win and he didn't care.

Dino 6 Rings
02-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Its the old way to get hits to your website...bash the Steelers and Steelers Nation attacks your website and generates hits...boring.

TeeJay
02-03-2009, 10:49 AM
"So what did we learn from Super Bowl XLIII?"

That you're a prick Simmons, who apparently learn't nothing. Otherwise you'd have noticed that The Pittsburgh Steelers and everyone involved in their organisation are the greatest franchise in the history of the NFL......

So go f**k yourself Simmons and all you Steeler hating media retards. If you had bothered to watch, or just paid attention you would know that the fumble had been reviewed 'upstairs' and was correctly called. And prior to that, you'd have witnessed a media berated QB and WR take their team nearly the length of the field in the final two minutes to clinch the game. So don't even think of making snide remarks about it 'being a shady ending'. As for the game sucking for three quarters, stick to attending parties and eating prawn sandwiches. You're obviously far better at that than actually writing a dignified article on the SB. If you're so petty, and steamed up with jealous hatred for the Black and Gold that you couldn't even ackowledge what The Steelers have just acomplished, then you'd best stay away from football for a while. Cause The Steelers are here to stay, and there's another four fingers waiting.................But then you'd probaby enjoy being four-fingered.

Here's one for you! :countdown

BigIg
02-03-2009, 10:51 AM
SteelerFever Big Ig: "Bill Simmons Sucks"

Stover4Prez
02-03-2009, 11:28 AM
This guy is a dumbass. That game was awesome!

4xSBChamps
02-03-2009, 11:34 AM
maybe he would have enjoyed the game more if he actually watched it, instead of having coffee talk with these alleged "friends"

..... many of whom have 4 legs, an inflation-nozzle that is well-hidden, or both.....

devilsdancefloor
02-03-2009, 12:04 PM
http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/3/2/3/f_asshat22713m_1c3eff2.jpg

It appears bill is busy and istn taking calls today

Hines0wnz
02-03-2009, 12:49 PM
I wish I could get paid to be an idiot... :coffee:

mtsamuelson
02-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Sounds like he needs a diaper...

Dodt
02-03-2009, 12:53 PM
so does espn have a shrine to Thomas Brady in there headquarter?.

4xSBChamps
02-03-2009, 12:56 PM
I wish I could get paid to be an idiot... :coffee:

LIFE IS TOUGH

http://www.toplessrobot.com/john_wayne.jpg

IT'S TOUGHER IF YOU ARE STUPID

OX1947
02-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Simmons is an avid Bostonite. He hates the Lakers and Kobe Bryant and throws them under the bus every chance he gets no matter what they do. As far as Pittsburgh, well, Pats 0, Steelers 2 in the last 4 years. This after the Pats were 1 win away from getting to 4 for a tie. And now the Steelers just doubled the Pats 6 to 3. Suck it!!!

4xSBChamps
02-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Simmons is an avid Bostonite.

And now the Steelers just doubled the Pats 6 to 3. Suck it!!!

imagine a Stiller Head Coach, deciding to leave this franchise to become a Head Coach in the college ranks, the week before the play-offs begin while preparing for an opponent, as Chuck Fairbanks did to the Pats in '76

:tt02:

OneForTheToe
02-03-2009, 01:08 PM
ESPN should cancel his podcast. Cot only is he a complete idiot, but he never talks about anything but gambling. I'm not a "fuddy-duddy." I understand that gambling is part of what makes the NFL so popular, but at the very least, ESPN should do what other sports networks do and give "wink-wink" coverage gambling as oppossed to this blatent advocasy.

Plus, BS is a moooron.

tyler289
02-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Anyone who takes Bill Simmons seriously needs to understand who he is and what he does.

He writes HUMOR articles. Jesus. He's funny as hell.

The reactions on here are hilarious. Way too many people are taking what he says wayyyy too seriously. He doesn't like this year's SB because he lost money. So what? Who cares? All of his articles are either just his opinion on something or long joke columns.

steelerdave1969
02-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers 27
Arizona Cardinals 23

The Steelers won a thrilling game last night at the end was the best part of the game and I lost a lot of money because of a stupid illegal block on the Steelers...

What a DeuschBag!! Now I am a writer for the steelerdave69 foundation, anyone want to hire me?....

:rofl:

Dino 6 Rings
02-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Anyone who takes Bill Simmons seriously needs to understand who he is and what he does.

He writes HUMOR articles. Jesus. He's funny as hell.

The reactions on here are hilarious. Way too many people are taking what he says wayyyy too seriously. He doesn't like this year's SB because he lost money. So what? Who cares? All of his articles are either just his opinion on something or long joke columns.

He's a huge Teen Wolf fan.

TeeJay
02-03-2009, 01:59 PM

He writes HUMOR articles. Jesus. He's funny as hell..

Then he has just joined The League of....FAIL.! :jerkit:

tyler289
02-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Then he has just joined The League of....FAIL.! :jerkit:

Why? Because he doesn't think Sunday's game was God's gift to sports fans?

Please. Simmons is a funny writer who is a clear New England fan. Who care.s

Dino 6 Rings
02-03-2009, 02:04 PM

He's good at picking spreads too, Uncle Sal, not so much.

SteelersinCA
02-03-2009, 02:07 PM
I'm diggin the name change DINO!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

TeeJay
02-03-2009, 02:09 PM

Show me the funny bits in that article then if he's so hilarious.

And I don't recall anyone mentioning Sundays game being the God's gift to Sports fans....................Simmons may have done, had Brady been in it....but he wasn't.

crosby87penguins
02-03-2009, 02:20 PM
"The Cardinals had a salad fork sticking out of them ever since the 14-point swing at the end of the first half, when James Harrison unleashed his amazing 100-yard TAINT with help from the officials (who ignored LaMarr Woodley's blatant clipping and Harrison's getting tackled just short of the goal line)."

Taint? What? Not even trolls/other media haters/fans of other teams are bringing something ridiculous like that up...

dcherry
02-03-2009, 02:40 PM
dude, TAINT is Simmonese for Touchdown After INTerception.

FacemeIke
02-03-2009, 02:48 PM
People like this make my blood boil, and then I realize that I know more then him, so that makes it easier to ignore him.

Dino 6 Rings
02-03-2009, 02:55 PM

Thanks for clearing that up!

tyler289
02-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Show me the funny bits in that article then if he's so hilarious.

And I don't recall anyone mentioning Sundays game being the God's gift to Sports fans....................Simmons may have done, had Brady been in it....but he wasn't.

This article isn't so much a funny one as the others, if you go through his chat transcripts and his columns LEADING up to the Super Bowl, they're pretty damn funny.

CargoJon
02-03-2009, 03:21 PM

This guy can kiss my dog's TAINT.:tt02:

steelpride12
02-03-2009, 03:22 PM
it's sad when a fan of a team(Cheatriots) is a story writer for sports and the NFL.

SteelCurtain7
02-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Another Steeler-hater. This guy is writing an opinion article about a game he admits he didn't really watch. And his whole view is based on the fact that the Steelers cost him money that he bet.

And he is getting paid to do this type of garbage during a recession?

Any thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090202&sportCat=nfl

The retroactive Super Bowl running diary

By Bill Simmons
Page 2

Updated: February 2, 2009

Midway through the third quarter of Super Bowl XLIII, I was congratulating myself for attending a party instead of writing about the game. Pittsburgh was driving with a 10-point lead. The Cardinals had a salad fork sticking out of them ever since the 14-point swing at the end of the first half, when James Harrison unleashed his amazing 100-yard TAINT with help from the officials (who ignored LaMarr Woodley's blatant clipping and Harrison's getting tackled just short of the goal line). Other than that one play, this was a snoozefest. We weren't even getting enough Cuba Gooding Jr. shots.

So how did Pittsburgh almost blow this thing? Again, I was watching the game at a party. You eat and drink and talk to people at parties. I spent most of my night talking to friends and having inane conversations such as when my friend Ace and I tried to figure out if there was a sports equivalent to Sondra Locke's career.

(cont...)

Here's the point: I was talking to friends, semi-watching the game, adding up all my "winning" Pittsburgh-related bets and having a grand old time. Then a switch flipped and it turned into one of the better Super Bowl endings ever. (Note to anyone playing the "greatest ever" card -- we quickly overrate the Super Bowl every time it's good. Settle down. The fourth quarter wasn't any more exciting than the Panthers-Pats game. Fitzgerald's long TD wasn't any more or less exciting than Isaac Bruce's long TD that won the Rams-Titans game. The ending wasn't any more dramatic than Bills-Giants or Niners-Bengals II. Let the record show that this game sucked for three solid quarters except for the Harrison play.) And as I was driving home, I couldn't help but think

"What the hell just happened?"

(cont...)

In retrospect, it was the second-weirdest "Why didn't anyone seem to care that the ending was shady?" sequence, narrowly trailing Game 7 of the 1988 NBA Finals, when the Lakers' crowd stormed the court with three seconds remaining, then Magic body-blocked Isiah right before he attempted the game-tying 3-pointer ... no call. That will never be topped. The Warner "fumble" was close though. I thought it seemed like a pass. What do I know? I just know that I lost my Super Bowl pick. And a little money.

So what did we learn from Super Bowl XLIII? Don't pick a Super Bowl team that can't run the ball or protect its QB to cover a seven-point spread. Don't cheer in the press box even if your son is making one of the most exhilarating Super Bowl plays ever. Don't listen to Cousin Sal on Super Bowl prop bets. Don't show your hands to John Madden if they're big and strong. Don't rush to call an exciting Super Bowl game "the greatest ever!" just because it's fun to say or write things like that. Don't ignore Mike Lombardi's Super Bowl advice. Don't try to figure out how this Cards team inexplicably caught fire, developed a heart and came within one defensive stand from winning four straight playoff games and a title, because the NFL is officially as unpredictable as March Madness and that's just the way it is. And don't go to a Super Bowl party if you write about sports for a living. You never know what might happen.

No, Bill Simmons...YOU suck. The Cheatriots**** suck. That is all. :rolleyes:

TeeJay
02-03-2009, 03:25 PM
This article isn't so much a funny one as the others, if you go through his chat transcripts and his columns LEADING up to the Super Bowl, they're pretty damn funny.

It's ok Tyler...I wasn't have a pop at you....just that article. But I guess I won't be trawling through his transcripts.......If I want humour, I'll watch Bill Hicks, or Monty Python.

4xSBChamps
02-03-2009, 03:32 PM

~ Bill Smmons ~

..... only YOUR career rivals Sondra Locke's in sports.....

Simmons in Pittsburghese means 'my inflatable sheep has a restraining-order against me'

tyler289
02-03-2009, 03:52 PM
it's sad when a fan of a team(Cheatriots) is a story writer for sports and the NFL.

Again, people need to understand he writes for ESPN Page 2, which is mostly humor and/or special stories (like the recent top 60 Pittsburgh plays). Simmons talks about baseball and basketball in his chats/columns regularly.

He definitely should not be taken seriously, because his whole draw is his comedic writing, which is clear in most of his stuff.

I actually thought this column was ridiculous, it wasn't funny, and just had an air of "oh, i'm cool, I didn't watch, but I still think Harrison's TD shouldn't have counted and it was boring." :blah:

He's a New England guy at heart, so it's best to read his columns for humor.

crosby87penguins
02-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Oh, well he's cool. (sarcasm) I mean still, he thought Woodley clipped someone and Harrison was short of the goal line... anyone else think so? No? Okay America.

...but hey, at some point you just gotta say, however you slice it, we're 6 time Super Bowl champs, and who cares what anyone else says, because that's all that matters. I know why we're all a lil defensive because of some of this media BS though.

paw-n-maul-u
02-03-2009, 05:02 PM
i mean he's not really tooooo far off the fact. I read this article days ago and never thought "wow what a doosh" ... the game was pretty standard status quo, steelers doin their work.

The defense seemed to have arizona in 3rd and 18's every series.
We were driving with relative ease.

But ben roethlisberger had like 120 yards in the first quarter ... and end of the third he had like 190. ... I really don't disagree much with his article. sure he could have left all that retarded nonsense out about a party and his bets, i mean honestly WhoTF really cares. but other than that i thought the opinions were pretty accurate, he just tried to sound too cool. not a good article. but i dont think he was nessecarily bashing the steelers. ... He bet on them ... just didnt think they would cover the spread. they didnt. bump