PDA

View Full Version : Celebration Prop Rule

BleedBlacknGold0
02-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Just went on the Cards forums and everyone is bringing this up. I didn't think the Holmes celebration was unsportsmanlike at all.

Isn't this rule in effect to stop the Chad Johnsons and TO's from writing on the ball and doing ridiculous crap?

And during most touchdown celebrations it could be used depending on how you interpret it. They brought up WIllie Parker rolling the ball earlier in the season too. They called that a bowling ball celebration.

I guess anybody who spikes the ball now could be called for mimicking the actions of picking up a hot potato?

jjpro11
02-03-2009, 12:14 PM
part of the reason it wasnt called was because it was a full minute after the touchdown.. by that time, everybody was already walking away from the end zone.. players to the sidelines and refs to the video booth and wherever they huddle. has there ever been an end zone celebration penalty that occurred a full minute or so after the touchdown?

Dizzle43
02-03-2009, 12:20 PM
part of the reason it wasnt called was because it was a full minute after the touchdown.. by that time, everybody was already walking away from the end zone.. players to the sidelines and refs to the video booth and wherever they huddle. has there ever been an end zone celebration penalty that occurred a full minute or so after the touchdown?

I was about to make this point also. The main celebration for the touchdown was all the players going up to Santonio as he lay on the ground. It was so long after the fact of the touchdown that the penalty was not called. Had he gotten up just after the touchdown and did the celebration it would have been flagged.

Stover4Prez
02-03-2009, 12:25 PM
The reason it wasn't called is because the refs didn't see it. I don't like the rule any more than anyone else, but everything that transpired qualified for 15 yards. I'm glad they didn't call it, but had the stripes seen it, they should have called it. He was still in the end zone and clearly used a prop.

While it is a stupid rule, Holmes gets paid millions to play the game and know the rules. He should be smarter than that and not risk yards against his team so he can get on camera for a couple more seconds. He should have waited until the sideline if he really wanted to do it.

Just my opinion.

fansince'76
02-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Just went on the Cards forums and everyone is bringing this up....

And was the difference in the game in their minds, I'm sure. I'm also sure Gandy only held Harrison 3 times that entire game instead of at least 10 or 12 times as well. :coffee:

Stover4Prez
02-03-2009, 12:28 PM
The difference in the game was allowing a 87 yard drive with 2:30 on the clock. NOT a celebration play!