PDA

View Full Version : Are you a believer now?

MichiSteeler
01-02-2006, 11:28 AM
I remember from a post awhile back that not everyone was a believer in Willie Parker. Me included. But after yesterdays game, he really showed me that he has become better and we just might be ok with him at the controls. Hes doing a lot less side to side dancing and running north and south now and that is making him a lot better. Who else is now a believer in Fast Willie?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Im not still 100% sold on him, he's getting better and better, but I wanna see him continue to improve next year before Im personally ready to annoint him as the next big time starting RB for the Steelers. Doing it one year is great, and he's shown vast improvement as the year has gone on with his vision and power between the tackles..but at this point I want to have a viable option besides him and Duce just to be safe..especially if Jerome doesnt come back.

clevestinks
01-02-2006, 11:56 AM
I said early on another thread that I am coming around. He is starting to improve weekly. He is running N & S now. It almost seems as if he gains positive yardage every play. Give me three good playoff games, and a great Superbowl, then I`m totally sold! LOL
He is moving up in my book

BlitzburghRockCity
01-02-2006, 11:57 AM
If he plays well against the stiff competition in the playoffs, which remember our OL has to play well too, then that is giant step towards solidifying himself as our starter next year.

clevestinks
01-02-2006, 12:05 PM
If he does play well in the post season. Then this takes a little pressure off the Steelers to draft a running back early. We have some other needs, that we can address before going rb

BB2W
01-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Willie was running hard yesterday, but he still has a lot of work to do... he can be even better. I think that he hits the hole to quick most of his carries. He doesn't allow the blocks to set up and he just sprints right into people. On the other hand sometimes it helps him get something out of nothing. I think he will continue to improve the more carries he has at this level.

Nothing like some monday mourning runningback. :grin:

Rotorhead
01-02-2006, 01:01 PM
I definately think Parker is a good RB. He is insanely fast. I am still up in the air whether he is the RB for the Steelers. Our team seems to be built for a guys that can consistantly get 3-4 yards (like Bettis) as opposed to someone that will get stuffed a couple times then bust one for 40 yds. If we start focusing on more of a west coast style short passing game next year (which we have the receivers and QB to do that now) then Parker will be able to flourish (Marshall Faulk like). He seems to do better when we pass a bit to set up the run rather than using him to run to set up the pass. I think it is very possible to use him as a primary back next year with a little tweeking to the play calling and it would benefit our game alot.

tony hipchest
01-02-2006, 01:16 PM
I definately think Parker is a good RB. He is insanely fast. I am still up in the air whether he is the RB for the Steelers. Our team seems to be built for a guys that can consistantly get 3-4 yards (like Bettis) as opposed to someone that will get stuffed a couple times then bust one for 40 yds. If we start focusing on more of a west coast style short passing game next year (which we have the receivers and QB to do that now) then Parker will be able to flourish (Marshall Faulk like). He seems to do better when we pass a bit to set up the run rather than using him to run to set up the pass. I think it is very possible to use him as a primary back next year with a little tweeking to the play calling and it would benefit our game alot. good take rotorhead. i just dont wanna see too much short passing. i still like ben throwing 15-20 yd passes and taking his shots deep. we definitely seem to do well using the passing game to set up the run though. the team sometimes seems to have some wind taken out of its sails when this dont work though. gott to have that power running game to fall back on and i think willie and verron/duce or other similar back can provide that. bettis???

one more year!

Koopa
01-02-2006, 04:48 PM
naw i ain't a beleiver yet by a long shot, sure he rushed for over 1000 yards in season. sure he tore up the lions, wow, sure he tore up the texans, amazing, sure he tore up the bengals, once, i like willie a lot but not as a starter for this team, we need a power back to be better then we are now, and if lendale white is there when we pick in the first round we better draft him cause he's the real deal. parker might have a tougher go around next year now that teams will know what kinda player he is (see julius jones for an example)

SteelerDan43
01-02-2006, 04:50 PM
I see him as much more of a change of pace/3rd down and long type of guy. I just dont like the whole method of get stopped two or three times then break for 20. I would prefer a more methodical 3-4 yards per carry power guy that doesnt take alot of takles for losses.

83-Steelers-43
01-03-2006, 01:05 PM
I agree. At first I was skeptical about Willie Parker. Maybe my skepticism was brought on by flashbacks of "Famous Amos", but compared to earlier in the season he is hitting the holes better. It seems that he has a better idea and understanding of where the holes me might be before he hits them. One of the things I would like to see happen in the playoffs are more screen passes to Willie Parker.

Livinginthe past
01-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Parker still has a ways to go before he is the sort of RB that the Steelers could game-plan around.

I still maintain that he has come a long way in a very short time - its a learning curve - look at how long Tiki Barber took to fully mature as an elite NFL RB.

I think that the Steelers will definitely look to the draft for a RB in the power running mold of Bettis.

NM

83-Steelers-43
01-03-2006, 01:43 PM
No doubt he still has room for improvement and I don't feel he would even doubt that. The guy hardly played at all last season and in college he never started. He's learning quick but I would not be shocked to see the Steelers draft a power/Bettis type back in the 3rd or 4th round. Drafting a RB in the 1rst or 2nd round would not be smart. IMO, we have other area's of concern heading into the draft before worrying about a RB in the first or second rounds. A WR over 6'1" with good hands being the most important in my opinion. CW has not impressed me at all this season and Quincy Morgan tends to drop the ball more times than not. We have a good QB that could be great in the future, why not get him the weapons needed? While I feel Ward and ARE are very capable WR's, a tall WR is something I would love to see this team pick up. For being a running team you would not have to worry about teams stacking eight in the box.

While I was not a fan of Plaxico Burress, opposing teams still had to take notice of him and game plan around him, you can't say that about CW or even ARE. I'm not taking anything away from ARE, but I felt he was more dangerous and better well suited when he was used in the third slot. Once again, I'm not taking anything away from ARE or Ward but I strongly believe this team needs a tall, deep threat WR. Even If you don't agree with me on that, what would it hurt exactly? Having had this conversation many times before It seems a good number do not feel we need a deep threat, but it would be nice to have one come playoff time when and If a team happens to stop your running game and you have a good QB and a deep threat type of WR that can change the tempo and face of game on one play. We don't have that on this team. Hopefully in the near future we will. Well, at least that's what I'm hoping for in the near future.

fergusonat
01-03-2006, 02:05 PM
^I agree...the Steelers would definitely benefit from a major deep threat. Cedric Wilson and Quincy Morgan play one great game and then drop everything the next...they're inconsistent. That was a huge frustration in the Lions game...dropped passes all around. Granted, Big Ben was not putting the ball where it needed to be everytime, but the receivers need to improvise sometimes to keep the play going. I don't think Cedrick or Quincy have that versatility. Now Heath and Hines...they make a play work even when Ben throws the ball a little behind them or a little high.

As for Willie, I think the team has really appreciated him being able to break those big runs, but that's not what the Steelers are at the very core of it all. We need a grinding, wrecking-ball runningback to run down the clock and wear down the defense. Sometimes I wish Willie would keep the offense on the field a little longer, haha...

Koopa
01-03-2006, 04:07 PM
No doubt he still has room for improvement and I don't feel he would even doubt that. The guy hardly played at all last season and in college he never started. He's learning quick but I would not be shocked to see the Steelers draft a power/Bettis type back in the 3rd or 4th round. Drafting a RB in the 1rst or 2nd round would not be smart. IMO, we have other area's of concern heading into the draft before worrying about a RB in the first or second rounds. A WR over 6'1" with good hands being the most important in my opinion. CW has not impressed me at all this season and Quincy Morgan tends to drop the ball more times than not. We have a good QB that could be great in the future, why not get him the weapons needed? While I feel Ward and ARE are very capable WR's, a tall WR is something I would love to see this team pick up. For being a running team you would not have to worry about teams stacking eight in the box.

While I was not a fan of Plaxico Burress, opposing teams still had to take notice of him and game plan around him, you can't say that about CW or even ARE. I'm not taking anything away from ARE, but I felt he was more dangerous and better well suited when he was used in the third slot. Once again, I'm not taking anything away from ARE or Ward but I strongly believe this team needs a tall, deep threat WR. Even If you don't agree with me on that, what would it hurt exactly? Having had this conversation many times before It seems a good number do not feel we need a deep threat, but it would be nice to have one come playoff time when and If a team happens to stop your running game and you have a good QB and a deep threat type of WR that can change the tempo and face of game on one play. We don't have that on this team. Hopefully in the near future we will. Well, at least that's what I'm hoping for in the near future.

well if lendale white is sitting there when we are picking in the first i say **** all the other needs cause with lendale white we have our future at running back and him and he'll help take a lot of pressure off of big ben. i do agree that we need to draft a tall wr in the second or third

tony hipchest
01-03-2006, 06:08 PM
well if lendale white is sitting there when we are picking in the first i say **** all the other needs cause with lendale white we have our future at running back and him and he'll help take a lot of pressure off of big ben. i do agree that we need to draft a tall wr in the second or third

what if lendale white has as much impact as ron dayne or t.j. duckett? or a duce staley and a verron haynes (no slam on the injured one and the one buried on the depth chart) a 1st round draft pick is a big price to pay for a what if. are lendales talents and numbers inflated being surrounded by bush and leinart? i dont know cause i dont follow them much.