PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Books...

Steelcitygal87
02-03-2009, 08:23 PM
If this has been posted before..I apologize for making another thread.

List your favorite books :)

1. The Bible
2. Mere Christianity- C.S. Lewis
3. The Wounded Spirit- Frank Peretti (outstanding account of his boyhood life of torment due to disfigurement....about how we treat each other in society..I HIGHLY recommend this book)
4. The Simple Faith of Mr. Rogers-Amy Hollingsworth
5. A Quiet Strength- Tony Dungy( A MUST read)
6. Self- Reliance & Other Essays-Ralph Waldo Emerson(imo the greatest essayist ever)
7. The Outsiders-S.E Hinton
8. To Kill A Mockingbird- Harper Lee( LOVED the movie staring Gregory Peck)
9. Little House On the Prairie series- Laura Ingalls Wilder( grew up reading this wonderful series.. near and dear to my heart...one of my fav. authors)
10. The Lady of Shalott- Alfred Lord Tennyson(while not a book..simply a poem..it is my absolute fav. one...speaks to the die-hard romantic in me)

TeeJay
02-03-2009, 08:44 PM
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings (the book is still better than the film!)
Arnhem
The Hardest Day
The Krays
Montgomery
The Rats
The Spear
The Magic Cottage
Christine
Friday Night Lights
Dune

Steelcitygal87
02-03-2009, 08:49 PM
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings (this was the late 70's!)
Arnhem
The Hardest Day
The Krays
The Rats
The Spear
The Magic Cottage
Christine
Friday Night Lights
Dune

Some of those I am familiar with...but what is...The Magic Cottage about?

Polamalu Princess
02-03-2009, 08:55 PM
I love this post! I will think about this and get back to you later friend. Yet, the Bible is #1 on my list as well.

TeeJay
02-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Some of those I am familiar with...but what is...The Magic Cottage about?

The Magic Cottage by James Herbert...The English Steven King........just better!:wink02:. Author of The Rats and The Spear among many others; Haunted and The Ghosts of Sleath I couldn't possibly mention.

It's about a husband and wife who buy a cottage (strangely enough), and when they move in they find live to be really good, even the animals are nice....then things change, shall we say.......

If you like a good scarey story without the gore, then I'd recommend it.

A++ in fact!

You could also try The Haunting of Toby Jugg by Dennis Wheatley....my Mum had that in her bookcase when I was a kid and the front cover spooked the life out of me - guess that's why I love horror stories now!

Oh...and anything by Clive Barker.........

Steelcitygal87
02-03-2009, 09:29 PM
The Magic Cottage by James Herbert...The English Steven King........just better!:wink02:. Author of The Rats and The Spear among many others; Haunted and The Ghosts of Sleath I couldn't possibly mention.

It's about a husband and wife who buy a cottage (strangely enough), and when they move in they find live to be really good, even the animals are nice....then things change, shall we say.......

If you like a good scarey story without the gore, then I'd recommend it.

A++ in fact!

You could also try The Haunting of Toby Jugg by Dennis Wheatley....my Mum had that in her bookcase when I was a kid and the front cover spooked the life out of me - guess that's why I love horror stories now!

Oh...and anything by Clive Barker.........

Sounds like a story I would enjoy.....as I do like a suspenseful, scary story without the gore.....not a fan of gory books or movies.

Clive Barker...scares the crap outta me lol

Thank you for the review!

tony hipchest
02-03-2009, 09:51 PM
i very rarely read books more than twice, other than these that i can read over and over-

1. the bible (the ultimate cosmic comic book)
2. the agony and the exctasy
3. helter skelter
4. the ammityville horror

( i wont even count "kids books" such as any calvin and hobbes, peanuts, and farside or old yeller)

TeeJay
02-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Sounds like a story I would enjoy.....as I do like a suspenseful, scary story without the gore.....not a fan of gory books or movies.

Clive Barker...scares the crap outta me lol

Thank you for the review!

You're welcome - And I would most emphatically recommend The Magic Cottage. (Any of James Herberts books actually if you like scarey/non gore horror.......just perhaps give The Rats and it's sequels a miss :wink02: - Although that was the reason I got my first Rat as a pet:thumbsup:)

Clive Barker's not right, which is why I just love his writing - The Great and Secret Show still has me wondering wtf did I just read there?

And definitely, most utterly, read Creed by JH. That's creepy, creepy.

Steelcitygal87
02-04-2009, 05:30 AM
You're welcome - And I would most emphatically recommend The Magic Cottage. (Any of James Herberts books actually if you like scarey/non gore horror.......just perhaps give The Rats and it's sequels a miss :wink02: - Although that was the reason I got my first Rat as a pet:thumbsup:)

Clive Barker's not right, which is why I just love his writing - The Great and Secret Show still has me wondering wtf did I just read there?

And definitely, most utterly, read Creed by JH. That's creepy, creepy.

Creed....creepy, but not gory right? You wouldn't trick me, would you? lol

And yeah, I'm thinking I'll pass on the RATS...You had a pet rat? Now that is interesting. What was his name?

And to say Clive is "not right" is putting it mildly lol. "What does not kill you, will make you wish it had".

kittenfantastico76
02-04-2009, 10:23 AM
I am a HUGE Chuck Palahniuk fan...

Diary
Choke
Fight Club
Monster
(I could go on and on)

Also, Silence of the Lambs
(I like dark books (because my life isn't dark), comedies (to lighten the mood), fiction, psychology based books as well - twisted I guess you could say).

And I love almost anything by David Sedaris.

I'm in the middle of reading
Wicked: The Real Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West
by: Gregory Maguire

I love it - I need to complete it, (so I can read the other parts to this story - Son of a Witch, Lion Among Men, etc) I've been in the process of reading this for over a year - it's amazing but I never have time to SIT DOWN and read.

I look forward to everyone's answers so I can find some great reading material.

Steelcitygal87
02-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Diary
Choke
Fight Club
Monster
(I could go on and on)

(I like dark books (because my life isn't dark), comedies (to lighten the mood), fiction, psychology based books as well - twisted I guess you could say).

I love it - I need to complete it, (so I can read the other parts to this story - Son of a Witch, Lion Among Men, etc) I've been in the process of reading this for over a year - it's amazing but I never have time to SIT DOWN and read.

Yeah, that is why I decided to start this thread...I love seeing what other people's taste in reading is, and get some ideas on new reading material. My local library is practically my other home lol.

AllD
02-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Dan Rooney's book, "My 75 Years with the Pittsburgh Steelers" is pretty good even with a couple of typos.

steelpinstripe72
02-04-2009, 03:44 PM
1. The Bible
2. Quiet Strength, by Tony Dungy
3. The Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien
4. The Chronicles of Narnia, by CS Lewis
5. The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch
6. Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga, by Stephen Davis
7. Saucerful of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey, by Nick Schaffner
8. Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball's Last Hero, by David Marannis
9. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
10. Birth of a Dynasty: Behind the Pinstripes with the 1996 Yankees, by Joel Sherman

Steelcitygal87
02-04-2009, 06:46 PM
1. The Bible
2. Quiet Strength, by Tony Dungy
3. The Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien
4. The Chronicles of Narnia, by CS Lewis
5. The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch
6. Hammer of the Gods: The Led Zeppelin Saga, by Stephen Davis
7. Saucerful of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey, by Nick Schaffner
8. Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseball's Last Hero, by David Marannis
9. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams
10. Birth of a Dynasty: Behind the Pinstripes with the 1996 Yankees, by Joel Sherman

What's the Last Lecture about?

SteelCurtain7
02-04-2009, 06:49 PM
If this has been posted before..I apologize for making another thread.

List your favorite books :)

1. The Bible
2. Mere Christianity- C.S. Lewis
3. The Wounded Spirit- Frank Peretti (outstanding account of his boyhood life of torment due to disfigurement....about how we treat each other in society..I HIGHLY recommend this book)
4. The Simple Faith of Mr. Rogers-Amy Hollingsworth
5. A Quiet Strength- Tony Dungy( A MUST read)
6. Self- Reliance & Other Essays-Ralph Waldo Emerson(imo the greatest essayist ever)
7. The Outsiders-S.E Hinton
8. To Kill A Mockingbird- Harper Lee( LOVED the movie staring Gregory Peck)
9. Little House On the Prairie series- Laura Ingalls Wilder( grew up reading this wonderful series.. near and dear to my heart...one of my fav. authors)
10. The Lady of Shalott- Alfred Lord Tennyson(while not a book..simply a poem..it is my absolute fav. one...speaks to the die-hard romantic in me)

Your first two picks are mine as well. I also enjoy the works of:

Edgar Allan Poe
Dean Koontz
Eric Wilson
Steven James
TL Hines
Tim Downs
Melanie Wells
Sherlock Holmes

Steelcitygal87
02-05-2009, 07:15 AM
Your first two picks are mine as well. I also enjoy the works of:

Edgar Allan Poe
Dean Koontz
Eric Wilson
Steven James
TL Hines
Tim Downs
Melanie Wells
Sherlock Holmes

Dean Koontz....is he a sci-fi/ fantasy writer?

IronFan
02-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Koontz is a sci-fi/horror/action author.

Nobody here a fan of George RR Martin? Easily my all time favorite author. His A Song of Ice and Fire series is so unbelievably well done that its mind numbing. The characters are so well drawn that they literally seem to leap off the pages and demand your attention. The story is insanely well thought out and despite the complexity and depth of the tale, easy to understand and follow. I’ve gotten this series on the shelf of near all of my friends and half of my family as well as a host of online acquaintances. I’ve yet to encounter a single individual that was not thoroughly engrossed and impressed.

Not for the meek mind you. It is very vulgar and very violent.

The Series I believe is slated for seven volumes, four of which are available in paperback now.

Book One: A Game of Thrones
Book Two: A Storm of Swords
Book Three: A Clash of Kings
Book Four: A Feast for Crows

Other than Martin, I’m a big King fan. The Gunslinger series was absolutely phenomenal as well as Bag of Bones (probably my favorite stand alone novel). Comes the Blind Fury from John Saul and the Witching Hour from Anne Rice are both excellent reads as well.

Too many great works to list really.

kittenfantastico76
02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah, that is why I decided to start this thread...I love seeing what other people's taste in reading is, and get some ideas on new reading material. My local library is practically my other home lol.

It's so funny that you mention that - I drove by our library like I do everyday and it dawned on me AFTER reading this thread that I should really stop in there and pick up some new material! It's a beautiful library too - very tranquil! They don't get the love they deserve, I should get my butt over there!

TeeJay
02-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Creed....creepy, but not gory right? You wouldn't trick me, would you? lol

And yeah, I'm thinking I'll pass on the RATS...You had a pet rat? Now that is interesting. What was his name?

And to say Clive is "not right" is putting it mildly lol. "What does not kill you, will make you wish it had".

Creed, definitely creepy, but not a gore fest! :wink02:

And yep, had a Rat, went by the name Arthur! Fancy Rats make excellent pets - very intelligent, very clean, and great fun to have around! :thumbsup:

But, back to the books.....that list could'ave gone on for miles! :wink02: Great to see what other people read.

stlrtruck
02-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Bible
Quiet Strength (Tony Dungy)
Left Behind (13 book series by Tim LeHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins)

Books I want to read:
Keep It Simple (Terry Bradshaw)
It's Only a Game (Terry Bradshaw)
Under the Helmet (Jerome Bettis)
My Life: 75 Years in the NFL (Dan Rooney)

Steelcitygal87
02-05-2009, 12:08 PM
It's so funny that you mention that - I drove by our library like I do everyday and it dawned on me AFTER reading this thread that I should really stop in there and pick up some new material! It's a beautiful library too - very tranquil! They don't get the love they deserve, I should get my butt over there!

Funny you said ..."dawned on me" because that is my name lol.

You echo my sentiments exactly! I LOVE going to the library. It is so peaceful...I could spend all day there( and often times do). At my local library you can rent DVDS and VHS movies for FREE, and they have a pretty decent selection too. They have terrific programs for children and adults. I have been going there since I was in grade school. :) It is very dear to my heart.

Here is a link about my library..the architecture is simply BEAUTIFUL. It is worth the trip alone just to see the building. I wish this website had some pictures of the inside...which is just as beautiful.

http://architectdesign.blogspot.com/2008/06/bfjones.html

Steelcitygal87
02-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Creed, definitely creepy, but not a gore fest! :wink02:

And yep, had a Rat, went by the name Arthur! Fancy Rats make excellent pets - very intelligent, very clean, and great fun to have around! :thumbsup:

But, back to the books.....that list could'ave gone on for miles! :wink02: Great to see what other people read.

Aurthur....I like it. Never would have thought they were clean..

If you would like.....please continue with your list.

memphissteelergirl
02-05-2009, 12:20 PM
-Anything by Jane Austen
I'm also a huge fan of the "Sub-Roma" mystery series by Steven Saylor. It is a mystery series set in ancient Rome.
-"Exodus" and "Trinity" by Leon Uris
-"Nicholas and Alexandra" by Robert Massie (biography of the last Tsar and Tsarina of Russia)
Just recently finished "King, Kaiser, and the Tsar" by Catrine Clay (can ya tell I'm a histoy geek? :wink02:)
"The Alienist" by Caleb Carr (think "CSI" or "Criminal Minds" set in the early 20th century)

Steelcitygal87
02-05-2009, 12:29 PM
-Anything by Jane Austen
I'm also a huge fan of the "Sub-Roma" mystery series by Steven Saylor. It is a mystery series set in ancient Rome.
-"Exodus" and "Trinity" by Leon Uris
-"Nicholas and Alexandra" by Robert Massie (biography of the last Tsar and Tsarina of Russia)
Just recently finished "King, Kaiser, and the Tsar" by Catrine Clay (can ya tell I'm a histoy geek? :wink02:)
"The Alienist" by Caleb Carr (think "CSI" or "Criminal Minds" set in the early 20th century)

I LOVE Jane Austen...how could I have forgotten about her:doh:?? Northhanger Abbey...Catherine and Henry...what chemistry...I love their romance. Did you happen to catch the PBS special?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/northangerabbey/index.html

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2009, 12:39 PM
"The Art of War" by Sun Tzu

"The Divine Comedy" Dante Alighieri

"The Iliad and the Odyssey" Homer

"Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" Lewis Carroll

"The Dark Tower" Series. Stephen King

"Lord of the Rings" J.R.R. Tolkien

"It's Only a Game" Terry Bradshaw

GBMelBlount
02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Atlas Shrugged.

memphissteelergirl
02-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I LOVE Jane Austen...how could I have forgotten about her:doh:?? Northhanger Abbey...Catherine and Henry...what chemistry...I love their romance. Did you happen to catch the PBS special?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/northangerabbey/index.html

I didn't see that one, but I loved the "Pride and Prejudice" adaptation.
I just saw Part I of "Sense and Sensibility" the other night (missed the first broadcast)...this one seems more true to the book than the movie adaptation Emma Thompson did back in the 90's (although I loved that one...have the DVD).

TeeJay
02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
If you would like.....please continue with your list.

OK!! :thumbsup: Well, a few more would be:-

It's Not About The Bike - Lance Armstrong
Jamaica Inn - Daphne du Maurier
Darkness Tell Us - Richard Laymon
A Walk In The Woods - Bill Bryson
The Blue Nowhere - Jeffery Deaver
White Shark - Peter Benchley
Jimi Hendrix Electric Gypsy - Harry Shapiro and Caesar Glebbeek
Cash - Johnny Cash
The Last Fish Tale - Mark Kurlansky
Men of Steel - Jim Wexel

Just started My Life In and Out of a Helmet - by JB himself, to be followed by My 75 Years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL - Dan Rooney!!

Steelcitygal87
02-05-2009, 01:40 PM
OK!! :thumbsup: Well, a few more would be:-

It's Not About The Bike - Lance Armstrong
Jamaica Inn - Daphne du Maurier
Darkness Tell Us - Richard Laymon
A Walk In The Woods - Bill Bryson
The Blue Nowhere - Jeffery Deaver
White Shark - Peter Benchley
Jimi Hendrix Electric Gypsy - Harry Shapiro and Caesar Glebbeek
Cash - Johnny Cash
The Last Fish Tale - Mark Kurlansky
Men of Steel - Jim Wexel

Just started My Life In and Out of a Helmet - by JB himself, to be followed by My 75 Years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL - Dan Rooney!!

Daphen du Maurier-' Rebecca'..my favorite...absolutely loved the movie version too. Never read the 'Jamaica Inn'...I must do that .

Just looked up A Walk In the Woods...looks very interesting. Might have to check that one out too lol..I am going to have a lot of reading to do.

Darkness, Tell Us- Was just reading some of the reviews about it on Amazon...lots of sex talk ..too much for one person's liking. What did you think?

TeeJay
02-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Daphen du Maurier-' Rebecca'..my favorite...absolutely loved the movie version too. Never read the 'Jamaica Inn'...I must do that .

Just looked up A Walk In the Woods...looks very interesting. Might have to check that one out too lol..I am going to have a lot of reading to do.

Darkness, Tell Us- Was just reading some of the reviews about it on Amazon...lots of sex talk ..too much for one person's liking. What did you think?

The more he wrote, the more of that seemed to appear in his books. He did start to creep me out in the end, so even I stopped reading him!

I'd definitely recommend both Jamaica Inn (it's a classic, and then you'd want to go to Cornwall and visit the Inn - it's still there, albeit a tourist trap now! :wink02:), and A Walk in The Woods - the first one of Bill's books I read.......which lead me to read Notes from a Small Island and Notes from a Big Country - both very funny!!

Steelersfanforlife
02-05-2009, 05:40 PM
No Favorite Books

steelersfanman92
02-05-2009, 05:44 PM
My favorites are
Band of Brothers- Steven Ambrose
It's Only a Game- Terry Bradshaw
The Blind Side- Michael Lewis
Marine Sniper- Charles Henderson

SteelCityKing
02-05-2009, 06:26 PM

Diary
Choke
Fight Club
Monster
(I could go on and on)

long live The Chuck! WHOO! =)

BrandonCarr39
02-05-2009, 09:11 PM
John Grisham's older books(The Firm, The Pelican Brief, and The Client)

As a kid, I loved those "Hardy Boys" and Judy Bloom books.

kittenfantastico76
02-05-2009, 09:19 PM
long live The Chuck! WHOO! =)

He is dare I say... THE man!

Steelcitygal87
02-06-2009, 01:21 AM

I read and loved the Hardy Boys series too! And Nancy Drew. Remember the tv shows? Shawn Cassidy and Parker Stevenson?

I am a fan of John Grisham's work as well.

SteelCurtain7
02-06-2009, 04:54 PM

The Hardies ruled...and they never aged!!!!!!!!!!! :flap:

hindes204
02-06-2009, 06:20 PM
THE DARK TOWER SERIES, by Stephen King

hands down the greatest compilation of books i have ever read

also,

Most of John Grishams books

Deliver us from evil, by Sean Hannity

Culture Warrior, by Bill O'reilly

hindes204
02-06-2009, 06:25 PM
What's the Last Lecture about?

Its a very inspirational book by Randy Pausch (may be mispelled)....he was a pittsburgh native, carnegie mellon professor, and die hard steeler fan...unfortunately he passed away in the summer of 2008 from pancreatic cancer. He knew he was dying when he wrote the last lecture....it is definitely a must read

SteelCityMom
02-06-2009, 07:55 PM
The Princess Bride by William Goldman is hands down my favorite book of all time, I've read it more times than I can count and it's great each time.

Catcher in the Rye is another one that is in tatters it's been read so much.

I have a ton of Stephen King, all are very good, my favorites would have to be Insomnia, Dreamcatcher and It though.

The Time Machine and Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G Wells are big faves of mine.

My favorite joke book of all time deserves mentioning too, since I still use some of the words and phrases in everyday life, Sniglets by Rich Hall....Words that don't appear in the dictionary but should. Still a classic for me to this day.

MasterOfPuppets
02-06-2009, 07:59 PM
you stephen king / dean koontz fans...should try "carrion comfort" by dan simmons .....its a huge novel, about 2 inches thick....i just couldn't put it down.

Steelcitygal87
02-07-2009, 08:28 AM
Its a very inspirational book by Randy Pausch (may be mispelled)....he was a pittsburgh native, carnegie mellon professor, and die hard steeler fan...unfortunately he passed away in the summer of 2008 from pancreatic cancer. He knew he was dying when he wrote the last lecture....it is definitely a must read

Then I will definitely read it. Sounds like a very interesting book.

TeeJay
02-13-2009, 08:13 PM
*Bump*

If you forget Books, you forget Life

Steelcitygal87
02-13-2009, 08:21 PM
*Bump*

If you forget Books, you forget Life

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become." C. S. Lewis