PDA

View Full Version : Best, most insightful P. King article ever- "We are Family"

tony hipchest
02-03-2009, 09:33 PM
ive never been one to hate on king because of great article such as this one-

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/02/02/superbowl/index.html

"Hey, Mr. Rooney,'' calls out Hines Ward, with a mischievous smile, from 20 yards away. "You with the Taliban?''

Sunday, 3:20 p.m., Crowne Plaza Hotel East, Tampa: The Steelers walk to the final team bus for the 14-mile ride to the Super Bowl. Rooney is talking to a visitor of the hotel when nose tackle Casey Hampton walks by. "Old man!'' Hampton said, stopping to model his jeans, T-shirt and-Army-Navy-store-jacket outfit. "How's my suit?''

Sunday, 11:30 p.m., Raymond James Stadium, visitors locker room: Rooney, as he does after all games, win or lose, walks from locker to locker, thanking players for their play. He'll shake every hand. When he gets to defensive end Aaron Smith, he has to tap Smith to get his attention because he's got media at his locker. Smith sees Rooney, who sticks out his hand. Smith doesn't shake his hand. He hugs Rooney. "I'm happy you got your sixth, sir,'' Smith said.

Watching six hours of Steelers practice at the Super Bowl was different than watching six hours of the Patriots or Colts during previous PFWA assignments at the big game. All got their work done. The Patriots were pretty serious seven years ago, the Colts a tad more light-hearted but mostly businesslike. I'm not saying the Steelers were Delta House fratboys at Faber College, but what struck me was how much fun they were having. Smiling, laughing, really enjoying themselves.

On Thursday, safety Anthony Smith did double and triple blackflips to entertain the defensive backs during a practice lull.

Chemistry didn't win the most exciting Super Bowl I've covered, but chemistry did wear a Pittsburgh jersey. I'm convinced it played a part in what happened in the Steelers' last-minute 27-23 win, the same way organization and intelligence helped New England win three Super Bowls. Chemistry got built three years ago in Pittsburgh when Jerome Bettis wanted to draw the franchise quarterback more into the fraternal graces of the locker room and started playing a silly game with Ben Roethlisberger, standing 20 yards from the goal post and seeing who could be the first one to hit an upright with a pass. It stays built because Tomlin flits from group to group at practice, being involved, touching almost every player every day. "FAST Willie Parker!'' he'll say when Parker sprints upfield against air in a practice.

No one knows what chemistry is, or how important it is in winning. But you ask coaches, and they'll say they're trying to build the right chemistry on their team. Always. It's one of those things you can't define, but you can see. And the Steelers are full of it.

"We're brothers,'' said cornerback Ike Taylor. "We're closer than brothers.

This was the circle of Pittsburgh life Sunday: Hines Ward went to Santonio Holmes in the morning and told him, in essence, It might not be my day because of how my knee's feeling, and players become stars by excelling on days like Super Sunday. Ward knew the guy he'd taken under his wing was ready to fly.

way too long to post it all.... many more tidbits and a must read for steeler die hards. the part of ward crying, going up the tunnel is especially telling...

You look like you're just leaving a funeral,'' I said.

"No,'' he said. "All the work I put in -- we put in -- paid off. I didn't know if I was going to be able to do anything out there because of my knee, and we did it. All of us. I am so proud of Santonio. So proud. It's a great thing about this team. It's such a team.''

what a season.

what a team. :helmet:

HometownGal
02-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Very nice read, Tony. I got goosebumps reading it. :drink:

I just wish I could read a good Steelers article like this one without having the Pats* mentioned in it. The Pats* were a non-factor this season and I just don't get why just about every article I've been reading lately has to mention those dirty, rotten scoundrels.

Steelers
02-03-2009, 10:58 PM
I just wish I could read a good Steelers article like this one without having the Pats* mentioned in it. The Pats* were a non-factor this season and I just don't get why just about every article I've been reading lately has to mention those dirty, rotten scoundrels.

Probably because they're the dynasty* Pittsburgh is dethroning.