PDA

View Full Version : Holmes Earned the MVP.

steelers2685
02-03-2009, 10:48 PM
On my way to the parade today, I heard a couple guys arguing with each other over who got the MVP award at the Super Bowl. One said Ben because he executed the drive and bought time to deliver the passes that led the team down the field. The other said Holmes because he made the clutch catch that will forever go down in Steelers history as the catch that brought home six.

Here's my take:

Holmes earned the MVP not only in the Super Bowl, but because of his reliability throughout these playoffs as a whole! He performed exceptionally well in his spot at punt returner on special teams time and time again when we needed a spark. He got free from defenders time and time again when Ben was in trouble to give this team a chance for a completion, let alone turning that catch into a huge play. On Sunday, he showed that he could handle the pressure and be the Offenses other rock to lean on. If Ben would have completed the passes to other receivers during the drive, then yes, Ben should have earned MVP. However, to have all four catches, including the game winner after missing an easy one on the previous play, that seals the deal in my book. I'm just really tired of people not showing respect when it is deserved but choose to debate instead.

Let's just hope that he takes Hines' advice and keeps his head on straight because his destiny for stardom has begun. Nice job To :thumbsup: This award stands for not just what you did in the S.B. but what you did throughout all three postseason games this year for us.

IAWarnerFan
02-03-2009, 11:23 PM
They need to have a playoff MVP. No doubt that would be Fitz and or Kurt! :flap:

Steelersfanforlife
02-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Holmes definitely deserved to be named the MVP. he did great throughout the playoffs

IAWarnerFan
02-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Holmes definitely deserved to be named the MVP. he did great throughout the playoffs

It's an award for the Super Bowl only! :wink02:

Steelcitygal87
02-04-2009, 05:46 AM
On my way to the parade today, I heard a couple guys arguing with each other over who got the MVP award at the Super Bowl. One said Ben because he executed the drive and bought time to deliver the passes that led the team down the field. The other said Holmes because he made the clutch catch that will forever go down in Steelers history as the catch that brought home six.

Here's my take:

Holmes earned the MVP not only in the Super Bowl, but because of his reliability throughout these playoffs as a whole! He performed exceptionally well in his spot at punt returner on special teams time and time again when we needed a spark. He got free from defenders time and time again when Ben was in trouble to give this team a chance for a completion, let alone turning that catch into a huge play. On Sunday, he showed that he could handle the pressure and be the Offenses other rock to lean on. If Ben would have completed the passes to other receivers during the drive, then yes, Ben should have earned MVP. However, to have all four catches, including the game winner after missing an easy one on the previous play, that seals the deal in my book. I'm just really tired of people not showing respect when it is deserved but choose to debate instead.

Let's just hope that he takes Hines' advice and keeps his head on straight because his destiny for stardom has begun. Nice job To :thumbsup: This award stands for not just what you did in the S.B. but what you did throughout all three postseason games this year for us.

--------------------------------------------

"Let's just hope he takes Hines advice and keeps his head on straight"- That is what I am anxious to see. He has such great character guys around him..to mentor him..show him the correct way to handle himself with all the fame that has come his way. Hopefully he will keep his act together off the field. On the field...hopefully no more end zone celebrations that might cost us 15 yards.

HometownGal
02-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Holmes earned the MVP honors because he DESERVED it. Santo made several key grabs in the game and sure Ben made the throw on the game winning play, but Holmes had 3 Arizona defenders shadowing him in the EZ, kept his focus on the ball and made a phenomenal catch, making sure he got both sets of toes in bounds. That catch was Rice-esque! :drink:

SteelMember
02-04-2009, 07:52 AM
They need to have a playoff MVP. No doubt that would be Fitz and or Kurt! :flap:

So your saying you want to invent trophys/awards for your metophoric victory. :flap:

Holmes made 4 of the 5 catches on the last drive alone. Sure, Ben made some great throws, but his decision to keep going with the hot receiver was his best of all.

wvsportsman
02-04-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm not saying santonio doesn't deserve the award because it was a great catch! But who took the team on his back in the huddle when has told them it's now or never guy's? and who engineered th drive? And who put the ball in the only spot Holmes could catch it between three defenders?? Who has done this all season?