PDA

View Full Version : ROUGHING THE PASSER

eden
02-03-2009, 09:56 PM
all my buddys are haters and they are saying that wasnt a good call and also ben should have been flaged for intensional grounding twice . i dont really like the roughing penalty for anybody i think it is a shit rule but if they are gonna call it for all the other teams then they better call it for ben he always gets hit late you know i have had a rough time the last 2 days i am ready to stop defending my team verbily and start inflicting pain the harrison way :banging: :banging:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
02-03-2009, 09:59 PM
all my buddys are haters and they are saying that wasnt a good call and also ben should have been flaged for intensional grounding twice . i dont really like the roughing penalty for anybody i think it is a shit rule but if they are gonna call it for all the other teams then they better call it for ben he always gets hit late you know i have had a rough time the last 2 days i am ready to stop defending my team verbily and start inflicting pain the harrison way :banging: :banging:

It was a good call. Ben was out of the tackle box, not intentional grounding. Even Madden (a known Steelers hater) showed it on screen.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Yeah, I thought they could have let the roughing the passer call go, but Dansby did extend his forearms with a shiver after the ball was out. It could have gone either way.

As for grounding. I watched it again and made note of where the tackle box would have been. Ben was just outside the margin of it, so not really a valid gripe.

MACH1
02-04-2009, 12:06 AM
The roughing call was a little tickytac, not like taking a late helmet to the small of the back.

tony hipchest
02-04-2009, 12:18 AM
the refs painted themselves into a corner this season.

by not calling any blatant roughing calls agaisnt ben this season they led all other teams to think it was "open season".

by not calling the million blatant holds against harrison, they led all teams to think they could get away with whatever they wanted to.

by the time they had to call a game consistantly with all the rest, they were "damned if they do, damned if they dont".

as for the double standard on roughing the passer call goes, think back to the steelers being penalized for sneezing on drew brees's foot 2 years ago vs ben being hauled off on a stretcher vs. the browns, or almost having ribs broken vs the ravens this season.

SC Steeler Steve
02-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Yeah I thought the roughing was tickytac, kinda like the holding in the endzone that gave the Cards the safety on a third down conversion that would have prolly sealed the game for Pittsburgh for a 20-14 win. I mean if you want to go there lets go all the way there. The grounding argument has no validity. Basically I guess I am saying profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilter the haters.

Benzbrother
02-04-2009, 12:28 AM
I was alright with the roughing the passer call. I mean yea, they could have let it slide, but it's not like Dansby was diving through the air as Ben let go of the ball. He was still running toward him and ended it with a little shove. Sure, it wasn't like he laid him out, but he could have held back.
I don't like the roughing the passer penalty, but as long as its in place - I think it was the right call

Galax Steeler
02-04-2009, 03:51 AM
Ben was outside the box when he threw the ball away there was no way it was intentional grounding as for the roughing the passer call I beleive it could have went either way.

stillers4me
02-04-2009, 04:59 AM
as for the double standard on roughing the passer call goes, think back to the steelers being penalized for sneezing on drew brees's foot 2 years ago vs ben being hauled off on a stretcher vs. the browns, or almost having ribs broken vs the ravens this season.

....we got 15 yards for pulling Bress' sock down. :yikes:

HometownGal
02-04-2009, 05:55 AM
I, too, think it was a questionable call, but I've seen far worse not called not only with regard to Ben, but the NFL as a whole. I think every season the refs get worse and more inconsistent with their calls. Blame it on global warming - it's frying their brain cells. :chuckle:

Milkman
02-04-2009, 06:26 AM
Just tell them all to stop crying like lil babies and get a Kleenex box out and say, "Do you want one or two?"

Haters :monkey:

SteelMember
02-04-2009, 07:20 AM
the refs painted themselves into a corner this season.

by not calling any blatant roughing calls agaisnt ben this season they led all other teams to think it was "open season".

by not calling the million blatant holds against harrison, they led all teams to think they could get away with whatever they wanted to.

by the time they had to call a game consistantly with all the rest, they were "damned if they do, damned if they dont".

Exactly. and I'm tired of having to justify each and every penalty to every obvious hater out there. Sorry cinderella didn't get to ride off with the championship...The Steelers just took what was theirs and just had to "smash some faces" along the way. :chuckle:

PisnNapalm
02-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Ben has taken many many shots that were harder than that and never gotten a call.

Quite frankly I was surprised by the call, but I'm not complaining. Manning and Brady get calls all the damn time for less than that one.

VinnySteel
02-04-2009, 08:08 AM
I just thought "about time". Like others have said, Ben has been getting banged around all season and I don't recall even one roughing the passer penalty (could be wrong), and I don't care if it was borderline, he got hit in the back and the defender had time to pull up and not hit him. In my mind that is a penalty.

Steelcitygal87
02-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Ben has taken many many shots that were harder than that and never gotten a call.

Quite frankly I was surprised by the call, but I'm not complaining. Manning and Brady get calls all the damn time for less than that one.

Yeah, Ben has certainly had his share...the most recent one being that shot he took in the back during the AFC Championship game. It was well after he had let the ball go...and nothing was called:mad:.

stlrtruck
02-04-2009, 08:25 AM

And your "buddys" are probably the same ones that if it was a Steelers player hitting the QB the same way would want to see 1,000 yellow flags throw for it.

revefsreleets
02-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Intentional grounding? Do they know anything about the rule? That's ridiculous.

Now the roughing the passer call is a little different. I hate the new criteria for it, but, technically speaking, the hit fell under those criteria. And Lord knows we've had that stupid flag thrown against us plenty of times this year, and not ONCE has Ben gotten the call, and I can think of at least 7-8 times he was blatantly hit late, far exceeding the minimum threshold of the new rules.

LambertIsGod58
02-04-2009, 09:13 AM
The roughing call was a little tickytac, not like taking a late helmet to the small of the back.

yeah, from what I saw Dansby didn't have alot of time to stop from making the hit.

DACEB
02-04-2009, 09:17 AM
yeah, from what I saw Dansby didn't have alot of time to stop from making the hit.

Agreed, but I think the clincher was that he extended his arms after the hit (which was late), when he could have bearhugged Ben and held him up.