PDA

View Full Version : bill cowhers joke of the week

tony hipchest
01-02-2006, 01:49 PM
-from his post game press conference:

How do you feel about going to Cincinnati?

They?re playing at a high level. This will be our third time playing them. They?re explosive. They played well defensively down the stretch. There will be a lot of excitement in that stadium, their first playoff game in a long time. :blah: :blah: :blah:

clevestinks
01-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Well on defense, boy is he being nice~

Livinginthe past
01-02-2006, 04:37 PM

They?re playing at a high level. This will be our third time playing them. They?re explosive. They played well defensively down the stretch. There will be a lot of excitement in that stadium, their first playoff game in a long time. :blah: :blah: :blah:

Thats the kind of bare-faced sarcasm that a future playoff opponent could easily make bulletin board material out of.

Either that or Cowhers brain has already clicked in Playoff Mode.

NM

tony hipchest
01-02-2006, 04:49 PM
i dont know how well that would play over in the bengals locker room.

marvin lewis- "heres bill cowher paying us compliments but he is obviously making fun of us cause, everyone knows we have sucked recently."

you think the team would buy it? what a motivational tactic!

cowher is always over complimentary of his teams opponents. sometimes to a fault i think. hell he talked up the browns saying pretty much the same thing about them. i bet crennell posted those quotes to get them ready for that 41-0 butt whipping, huh?.

Livinginthe past
01-02-2006, 06:04 PM

marvin lewis- "heres bill cowher paying us compliments but he is obviously making fun of us cause, everyone knows we have sucked recently."

cowher is always over complimentary of his teams opponents. sometimes to a fault i think. hell he talked up the browns saying pretty much the same thing about them. i bet crennell posted those quotes to get them ready for that 41-0 butt whipping, huh?.

How about :

Marv : The Steelers have become so used to owning us on a regular basis that they now feel that they make sarcastic comments about the performance of our D 'down the stretch'.
Thats the AFC North Champs they are talking about - and they are doing the talking right before they are going to try and come into our house and take our season from us.

I would call what Cowher said as close as you can get to an outright lie - I just have to wonder if he doesn't have some sort of underhand motivation for saying these things.

NM

tony hipchest
01-02-2006, 06:22 PM
How about :

Marv : The Steelers have become so used to owning us on a regular basis that they now feel that they make sarcastic comments about the performance of our D 'down the stretch'.
Thats the AFC North Champs they are talking about - and they are doing the talking right before they are going to try and come into our house and take our season from us.

I would call what Cowher said as close as you can get to an outright lie - I just have to wonder if he doesn't have some sort of underhand motivation for saying these things.

NM hes probably thinking about the 3 int. they had on ben in the last game and he dont want his team taking the bengals lightly despite the years of ownership and how crappy they have been playing on defense recently. he probably gives the bengals credit for having nothing to play for recently and the fact that the bengals offense and special teams were the ones who gave up 2 td's against the bills.

really bill is one of the more respectful coaches and has always been very complimentary of the job his former pupil marvin lewis has done dating back to his days with baltimore. cowher is smart enough not to overlook their capabilities of creating turnovers to. and we all know the team that leads in t.o. margin wins the majority of the time.

but i wouldnt put it past him to let jerome drop kick an extra point if they built up a sizeable lead. after all it is jeromes final playoffs:rolleyes:

Livinginthe past
01-02-2006, 07:07 PM
but i wouldnt put it past him to let jerome drop kick an extra point if they built up a sizeable lead. after all it is jeromes final playoffs:rolleyes:

Well that would certainly be a nice gesture from Cowher - why cant more coaches be like this and think outside the box?

NM

tony hipchest
01-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Well that would certainly be a nice gesture from Cowher - why cant more coaches be like this and think outside the box?

NM because not all coaches are named Bill :rofl:

Livinginthe past
01-02-2006, 08:10 PM
because not all coaches are named Bill :rofl:

Ha ha. Thats a sharp observation Tony.

:cheers:

NM

3 to be 4
01-02-2006, 09:38 PM
that stupid Belichick, whats he know about coaching anyway.

Suitanim
01-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Steelers 37
Bungs 24

Sharkissle29
01-02-2006, 10:11 PM
steelers 27
bengals 17

augustashark
01-02-2006, 10:51 PM
How about :

NM

I don't think a coach would even come close saying these things!!! Vets in the locker room would laugh at something like that.

Livinginthe past
01-03-2006, 09:12 AM
I don't think a coach would even come close saying these things!!! Vets in the locker room would laugh at something like that.

I see - im willing to bet that you have never been a professional football player - so your opinion on the matter is worth about the same as mine.

Still...at least this post at least on the subject of football.

Keep up the good work.

NM

CantStop85
01-03-2006, 02:45 PM
steelers 27
bengals 17
Steelers 27
Bengals 27
:smile:

Just wondering...what would happen if two teams tied in the playoffs? Would the game be extended or would another game be played or what?

augustashark
01-03-2006, 04:08 PM
I see - im willing to bet that you have never been a professional football player - so your opinion on the matter is worth about the same as mine.

Still...at least this post at least on the subject of football.

Keep up the good work.

NM

No, I just thought it was funny that you gave us what you thought Marvin would be saying to his team for this weekends game.....

You have no possible way to know if I played pro ball or not, so a come back like that shows that being the water boy for the high school team gave you no perspective!

Keep up the good posts!!! If you would please tell me what John Fox is saying to his team?

Livinginthe past
01-03-2006, 04:20 PM
No, I just thought it was funny that you gave us what you thought Marvin would be saying to his team for this weekends game.....

You have no possible way to know if I played pro ball or not, so a come back like that shows that being the water boy for the high school team gave you no perspective!

Keep up the good posts!!! If you would please tell me what John Fox is saying to his team?

I am sure you are aware of the term 'context' Shark.

This is the post just before my take on what Marv Lewis might theoretically say to his troops.

You see whats happening there?

Thats right shark - Tony is talking about lockerroom motivational techniques - thats called a context buddy - try to keep up.

If you spend a little less time following me around from thread to thread (your loyalty is touching though) and a little more time talking actual football then you might find yourself engaged in meaningful conversation instead of pointless sniping.

NM

augustashark
01-03-2006, 04:32 PM
I am sure you are aware of the term 'context' Shark.

This is the post just before my take on what Marv Lewis might theoretically say to his troops.

You see whats happening there?

Thats right shark - Tony is talking about lockerroom motivational techniques - thats called a context buddy - try to keep up.

If you spend a little less time following me around from thread to thread (your loyalty is touching though) and a little more time talking actual football then you might find yourself engaged in meaningful conversation instead of pointless sniping.

NM

No sniping and no following....Just seems that you have the stupidest takes when it comes to football, so I have to respond!!!!

So let me ask you a question. Do you think that M.Lewis will use this as motivation?

Livinginthe past
01-03-2006, 04:55 PM
No sniping and no following....Just seems that you have the stupidest takes when it comes to football, so I have to respond!!!!

So let me ask you a question. Do you think that M.Lewis will use this as motivation?

It just seems I have the stupidest takes when it comes to football?

Why thank you!

We are all welcome to our opinions of course.

First up - my original thoughts on Cowhers comments being 'intended slights' against the Bengals were more tongue in cheek than anything else (Tony H always has a few digs at my teams esteemed coach for dirty tricks)

I very much doubt that Cowher has the ability to try and get under other HC's skins - call him a good guy for arguments sake.

In all honesty I think that Marv Lewis will use the fact that the public and the media think his team has run out of steam for the playoffs and will return to their Bungle like ways as a pep talk.

Alot of people are not putting enough weight on the fact that this game is going to be in Cincy's house - thats always worth a few points - especially in the playoffs.

If I was Marv I would be showing his team past humiliations of the Bengals on video - this team has the ability to erase alot of that pain.

NM

augustashark
01-03-2006, 05:01 PM
It just seems I have the stupidest takes when it comes to football?

Why thank you!

We are all welcome to our opinions of course.

First up - my original thoughts on Cowhers comments being 'intended slights' against the Bengals were more tongue in cheek than anything else (Tony H always has a few digs at my teams esteemed coach for dirty tricks)

I very much doubt that Cowher has the ability to try and get under other HC's skins - call him a good guy for arguments sake.

In all honesty I think that Marv Lewis will use the fact that the public and the media think his team has run out of steam for the playoffs and will return to their Bungle like ways.

Alot of people are not putting enough weight on the fact that this game is going to be in Cincy's house - thats always worth a few points - especially in the playoffs.

If I was Marv I would be showing his team past humiliations of the Bengals on video - this team has the ability to erase alot of that pain.

NM

Hold on to your hat!

I could'nt agree more! Very good points....I think that all the talking the media is doing is only helping the Bengals.....I do think we have the trump card....the bad loss we had at home will be played over and over by BC!

Just hope we get up early and take the crowd out of it...

tony hipchest
01-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Steelers 27
Bengals 27
:smile:

Just wondering...what would happen if two teams tied in the playoffs? Would the game be extended or would another game be played or what? the game is extended to a 6th quarter. sudden death. im not sure if the teams get an extra 2 timeouts for the 6th quarter like they do the 5th though. and i cant be positive but i think it has happened before a while back. if im thinking correctly i think i remember hearing about it happening sometime before the 80's

Motley Nate
01-03-2006, 06:42 PM

What game was he watching?

I love the Bengals but they have some serious tackling issues.

tony hipchest
01-03-2006, 07:07 PM

NM

i prefer the term "jedi mind tricks" lol

but no cowher doesnt try to dig at another coach unless they really piss him off like when butch davis (as ambrige pointed out i think) called him "cowher" in a press conference.

i was really suprised at how pissed and offended he was by this. he pretty much publicly reprimanded him and told him thats not his name. lol he told him he can call him "bill" or "coach" or "mr. cowher". i didnt think it was that big of a deal but cowhers sentiments seemed to be that a head coach is one of 32 and they work long and hard to achieve that position and should be addressed properly with respect. WOW!

SalukiSteelers
01-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Hey guys. I don't know if Cowher was being "toungue-in-cheek" with those comments. I get to interview coaches in several sports at both the college and high school level, and that falls right in to line with the way coaches and athletes talk about opponents. Since I didn't hear Cowher's voice when he said that, I can only assume that he's following the time-tested tactic of crediting one's opponents even if they might not necessarily deserve it. I've seen coaches whose teams have just crushed the opposition talking about what a good team the losers were. Even when there are comments leading up to a game that looks like a mis-match -- and I'm not saying that this game against Cincy qualifies as that -- coaches go out of their ways to find something positive to say about their upcoming lamb. I don't know what the relationship between Cowher and Lewis is, but I would have to think that they're members of the mutual admiration society. Rarely do coaches make a point of needling the opposition before, or even after, a game. For every Ol' Ball Coach cracking on the Vols, there are a hundred milque-toast comments from coaches looking for something positive to say about their next opponents. I don't know, that's just how I see it.