PDA

View Full Version : Should I cancel my Sunday Ticket?

realdeal
02-04-2009, 09:20 AM
I have had Sunday Ticket now for 10 years. As a fan in Southern California, this is a necessary in order to watch every steeler game. Now that they won the Superbowl, how many primetime games are we awarded with? Times are tough people!

fansince'76
02-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Probably the same number. While Dallas gets 7 or 8 primetime games again.

VolatileMan
02-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Hey Im in No. California and if the game isnt on a national broadcast I just find the <<cough>> illegal <<cough>> stream of the game and watch it on my computer!

I watched every game this year! :tt03:

BlastFurnace
02-04-2009, 09:33 AM
This year, the NFL Ticket was a waste of money for me. I saw nearly every game on Network TV.

CPanther95
02-04-2009, 09:48 AM
I still like it for the Shortcuts. I normally watch 3 or 4 games that way.

kittenfantastico76
02-04-2009, 09:48 AM
We had nearly every game aired here (Northern Alabama) as well except maybe 3... (could have been less that that).

My suggestion, find a local sports bar or tavern or eatery that will have the NFL ticket next year - for the games you can watch at home... go out for the game. Get some friends/family together and make it an event. With the money you save from not buying the NFL ticket you could probably have a great time for 2-3 games vs. paying to see them all when they might already be on regular television!

This was my plan of attack (we didn't have any - close to home) places with the NFL Ticket... Hopefully in Cali, you will have more options than we did in our small town.

LambertIsGod58
02-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I've been a Sunday Ticket viewer for 7 years now. It started at $159 I think....Now it's almost $300. Don't know if I can keep justifying it to myself.

steelpride12
02-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Well the last two seasons, the Steelers are getting so many primetime games, and now after this super bowl win expect another 6-7 games in primetime.
Just stream some video usually.

Godfather
02-04-2009, 10:22 AM
The big thing this year was were were the second half of the doubleheader a lot of times. We should be able to count on that for the West Coast games and maybe one or two marquee matchups.

You'll know the schedule before you have to order so you can try to figure it out then.

realdeal
02-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks people! 3 large is steep. It's just nice watching all of the Steeler games in Hd from the comfort of my home.

Hines0wnz
02-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey Im in No. California and if the game isnt on a national broadcast I just find the <<cough>> illegal <<cough>> stream of the game and watch it on my computer!

I watched every game this year! :tt03:

Those are illegal? :doh:

fansince'76
02-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Those are illegal? :doh:

News to me too. :whistle: :chuckle:

MACH1
02-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks people! 3 large is steep. It's just nice watching all of the Steeler games in Hd from the comfort of my home.

Yep, Its spendy. I've had it for about 10+ years, started back when its was $139. Its nice to watch at home, but if for some reason you might miss the game you can dvr it. I usual call and get them to throw in Super Fan for free.

steelreserve
02-04-2009, 12:18 PM
I have had Sunday Ticket now for 10 years. As a fan in Southern California, this is a necessary in order to watch every steeler game. Now that they won the Superbowl, how many primetime games are we awarded with? Times are tough people!

Yes. Get a Slingbox and find someone who lives in Pittsburgh. You can watch every game for free then.

Indo
02-04-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm in central Alabama (I know, it sucks to be me), about 60 miles from anything that even resembles a "town". I also pay about $300 for Sunday Ticket but it's the only way to guarantee that I get to see all of the games in HD sitting on my own sofa.

Alabama in general has no idea about pro football---it's all about the SEC and either "Roll Tide" or "War Eagle" (Univ. of Alabama vs. Auburn, if you don't know...). If I went to a bar to watch Our Boys pummel another team I'd probably have to fight for them to switch the channel off of the local "Bass Masters" Pro Fishing channel (somehow that is seen as a "sport" instead of an excuse to pound Irons (pahnd Arns!))

$300, although a bit steep, is a small price to pay for me to stay connected to Steeler Nation

Preacher
02-04-2009, 12:30 PM
I am in the bay area of N. Cal.

Football coverage SUCKS for me. While we got a number of games this year, usually, since we have both the NFC and AFC here, if it isn't the Raiders or 49'ers, it isn't on.

steelreserve
02-04-2009, 12:36 PM
I am in the bay area of N. Cal.

Football coverage SUCKS for me. While we got a number of games this year, usually, since we have both the NFC and AFC here, if it isn't the Raiders or 49'ers, it isn't on.

Wow, another Bay Area fan? I didn't think there was anyone else on here who fully understood my plight.

I really have no idea why they have such an inane policy in place of blacking out the AFC game opposite the NFC home team and vice versa. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, from a business standpoint or from a fan's standpoint. All it means is you get the 49ers and Raiders ONLY, and as anyone can tell you, neither of those games are usually any fun to watch. Nobody quite understands how awful that is unless they've lived through it.

MACH1
02-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Wow, another Bay Area fan? I didn't think there was anyone else on here who fully understood my plight.

I really have no idea why they have such an inane policy in place of blacking out the AFC game opposite the NFC home team and vice versa. It makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, from a business standpoint or from a fan's standpoint. All it means is you get the 49ers and Raiders ONLY, and as anyone can tell you, neither of those games are usually any fun to watch. Nobody quite understands how awful that is unless they've lived through it.

Try living in Idaho. LOL

Its either what you get there or the suckhawks, donkos games. Then throw in the cryboys for good measure.

24seven
02-04-2009, 12:56 PM
LOL.. damn right about Idaho.. lived there for 12 years and 10 in Montana before that and both places were Donkeys mostly and Seahawks in Idaho before Denver actually started learning how to play. I've had Sunday ticket since the 2nd year Directv was out and it was I believe $139.99 for the early bird special. Then it went to 4 payments of $39.99.. Then they introduce Superfan and thats another $100 a year.. And throw in some HD for even more.. Now i'm paying like 6 months of payments @ $59.99 .. This is rediculous.. I take it in the ass and pay every year cause I can't live without the Steelers game. I'll probably cut out the superfan and deal with non HD games which royally sucks but times is hard fo sho.. Gotta cut back on things that don't matter and at this point I can live without HD but not my full ticket.. The wife wants to get rid of it completely as yes the games were on TV almost always this year but I have grandfather rights on my package cuz i've been a customer so long. i don't have to have a tv package to get sunday ticket .. but if i cancel I'll have to so I'm kinda stuck with dealing with it..

SteelersinCA
02-04-2009, 01:03 PM
San Diego sucks for a Steelers fan. If the Steelers aren't playing the early game the Chargers are on. I love the Red Zone channel for when the Steelers aren't on, makes fantasy football go much better.

BlastFurnace
02-04-2009, 01:07 PM
I used to go to the Sports Bar years ago, and I would still go to the Sports Bar, but I can't stand the smoking and feeling like I have aged 10 years from the 2nd hand smoke by the time I leave the building.

I also don't like fans who feel like they need to fight over the game as well. That doesn't happen that often, but it does happen from time to time.

fansince'76
02-04-2009, 01:10 PM
I used to go to the Sports Bar years ago, and I would still go to the Sports Bar, but I can't stand the smoking and feeling like I have aged 10 years from the 2nd hand smoke by the time I leave the building.

I also don't like fans who feel like they need to fight over the game as well. That doesn't happen that often, but it does happen from time to time.

I don't like going to bars to watch games either - too noisy.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-04-2009, 01:14 PM
NJ here and for the first time I bought the ticket. Also, where I moved didn't have a good cable package so we went with DirectTV. Of course wouldn't you know, the steelers were on TV here every week except the last week, lol

If you have been with the ticket for 10 years, you should have alock in at much cheaper. I'll reup again only because I rather not miss any games. Since its a weaker schedule, we may not have 4-6 games televised or more.

MACH1
02-04-2009, 01:16 PM
I don't like going to bars to watch games either - too noisy.

If I went to the bar for the games I'd spend well over $300 for the year. :laughing:

realdeal
02-04-2009, 01:24 PM
If I went to the bar for the games I'd spend well over $300 for the year. :laughing:

The Steeler Bar I used to go to had a "Glory Hole" in the restroom. I definitely spent more than 300 dollars.:laughing:

BozMan
02-04-2009, 02:41 PM
If you've been a customer for a while, you may be able to negotiate a discount with DirecTV.

I know people who have called them and asked to speak with the "retention department". Tell them you will cancel unless they provide a discount for next season. (You can make a plausible case that you can no longer afford Sunday Ticket at the current price b/c of the economy.)

A buddy of mine was able to get the all-HD package a couple seasons ago at a ridiculous rate by doing this. FWIW...

atlsteelers
02-05-2009, 09:24 AM
I payed 250 for the package last year with superfan thrown in for free. I have had it for the last 5 years. At the begining of the season google coupons for superfan. I called customer service and asked for superfan for a weekend that i was going to the beach so that i could watch the game on my labtop. they said they could not give superfan for just one weekend but that they would give it me for free for being a loyal customer for the entire year. know i am hooked on the superfan channel. i absolutely love wathcing that chanel when the steelers are not playing.

but it is a ton of cash considering the steelers were on regular tv except for like 3 games. but i like to drink a few "pops" during the game. so with direct tv i can do that without any worry about driving.

eafratitpm3
02-05-2009, 09:52 AM
You can google "How to watch NFL games live" and watch them for free on the Computer, save your money!

Curtain_of_Steel
02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
I think their HD package is BS. If you subscribe for HD on the reg package you should not have to buy it again for something else. As I said this was my first year with the package/directTV but the reg broad cast took me back 15 years with the picture. The 58inch plasma it was on was crying, telling me if I ever allow another shitty picture on her she is leaving the wall, LOL

LambertIsGod58
02-05-2009, 03:09 PM
I think their HD package is BS. If you subscribe for HD on the reg package you should not have to buy it again for something else. As I said this was my first year with the package/directTV but the reg broad cast took me back 15 years with the picture. The 58inch plasma it was on was crying, telling me if I ever allow another shitty picture on her she is leaving the wall, LOL

Hey Curtain....is HD that much better? I just bought a 52" Sony Bravia from Best Buy. Haven't got it installed yet. But if it's that much different, I think Directv will own me. I'm going to that from a 36" regular TV.

Big7BenHOF
02-05-2009, 04:51 PM
KEEP THE SUNDAY TICKET

Trust me. I live in California as well, and I absolutely love it. I've only had it for one year, but I always used to go to a local sports bar to watch the games, which is incredibly fun at times, but if you want to just maybe watch a game by yourself and whatnot, it's worth it. Trust me.

SteelersinCA
02-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Hey Curtain....is HD that much better? I just bought a 52" Sony Bravia from Best Buy. Haven't got it installed yet. But if it's that much different, I think Directv will own me. I'm going to that from a 36" regular TV.

HD TV is the greatest invention ever. It is leaps and bounds better than SD, especially for football. Get yourself a nice 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system before next season. you'll hear the crowd cheering in the back speakers and it's freakin awesome!!!! I don't watch any SD channels anymore, HD all the way!:popcorn:

TapOut64
02-05-2009, 07:40 PM
This year, the NFL Ticket was a waste of money for me. I saw nearly every game on Network TV.

Every game but the last one against Cleveland (which I saw anyways since I was visiting family in western PA) was shown on local network in Virginia Beach. Total waste of money for me.

For me it comes down to the Redskins schedule. They show every Redskins game in my area so if the Steelers happen to host an NFC team at the same time the Redskins play (unless an AFC team is playing in DC) I will not see the Steelers game.

For me it's more of an insurance policy to ensure that I will see every Steelers game.

Leftoverhard
02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Just go to the bar - way more fun.

oops- fixing sig right now....

dash66
02-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Just go to the bar - way more fun.

I've got to agree, especially if you aren't living in Pittsburgh. It's great to be able to celebrate Steeler's victories with other Seelers fans! The downside though is that I could just about pay for the sunday ticket with a month's bar tab! :drink:

SteelersinCA
02-05-2009, 10:17 PM
I've got to agree, especially if you aren't living in Pittsburgh. It's great to be able to celebrate Steeler's victories with other Seelers fans! The downside though is that I could just about pay for the sunday ticket with a month's bar tab! :drink:

Depends on the city I guess. The Steelers bar here is in the meat head district which means drunk Charger fans, drunk me, not a good combo.

realdeal
02-06-2009, 09:15 AM
HD rules! I will not watch unless it is in HD! What a difference!:tt03:

SteelersinCA
07-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Just called DirecTV tonight after I received an email about Sunday Ticket autobill, Sunday ticket is spread out in $44 payments and Superfan is spread out in $16.50 payments, I asked for Superfan for free and she said she would reduce the Sunday ticket price by $20 per payment for 6 months so that's better than getting Superfan for free. Go for it guys!!!

MACH1
07-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Just called DirecTV tonight after I received an email about Sunday Ticket autobill, Sunday ticket is spread out in $44 payments and Superfan is spread out in $16.50 payments, I asked for Superfan for free and she said she would reduce the Sunday ticket price by $20 per payment for 6 months so that's better than getting Superfan for free. Go for it guys!!!

Got almost the same deal here, $20 off 6 months, 6 months of free HD access and free superfan. I called to cancel superfan.

solardave
07-20-2009, 03:04 AM
I agree with the Sports bar idea. I don't drink but I'll eat some wings. My guess is you can still get 25 wings and a few beers for the price of one Sunday Ticket game. Plus you'll make some new Steeler friends.

Galax Steeler
07-20-2009, 03:44 AM
I have thought about getting sunday ticket but 300 dollars is alot of money.

stillers4me
07-20-2009, 05:24 AM
We could have watched all but one game at home last year here in Cinci, but still went to the bar. (the atmosphere is tops). We stayed home on Monday nights because of work and fortunately, The Thursday night was with Cinci so it was locally broadcast. It was a bitch getting up on Monday that Sunday night that went into overtime...........

scsteeler
07-20-2009, 06:40 AM
The Steeler Bar I used to go to had a "Glory Hole" in the restroom. I definitely spent more than 300 dollars.:laughing:

You sure you knew who was on the other side of that hole giving the Glory?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

SteelCityMan786
07-20-2009, 10:49 AM

2009 Gametime Breakdown
8:20-8:30-5
4:15-2
1:00-9

This is bound to change with the NFL's Flex Schedule Rule.

Fire Haley
07-20-2009, 11:20 AM
It's not about just Steelers games - I like to watch them all.

Unless you like gettin stuck watching the Saints vs. Rams games

T&B fan
07-20-2009, 04:01 PM
The only good thing about direct tv is the sunday ticket which is very expensive. I am locked in with dish network anyways so I don't have much choice.

I love going to the bars except I have to get there more then 2 hrs early if I don't want to stand for the entire game. It gets crazy with steeler fans down here in south west florida.

I am thinking about just hooking up my computer to the tv and streaming it that way for the games I can't see.

Anyone know where I can stream the game at a decent quality? I am thinking about Free to Air as a possibility to get the pittsburgh local channels.

I have not streamed any games yet .good idea if it will work though .. I have down loaded stuff to my comp then put it on the TV with a HDMI cabble but had to use the comp to have sound ??? some one told me that sound is not easy to transfer to TV from comp

AllD
07-20-2009, 04:27 PM
The only good thing about direct tv is the sunday ticket which is very expensive. I am locked in with dish network anyways so I don't have much choice.

I love going to the bars except I have to get there more then 2 hrs early if I don't want to stand for the entire game. It gets crazy with steeler fans down here in south west florida.

I am thinking about just hooking up my computer to the tv and streaming it that way for the games I can't see.

Anyone know where I can stream the game at a decent quality? I am thinking about Free to Air as a possibility to get the pittsburgh local channels.

Get an Nfusion.

fordfan485
07-20-2009, 04:29 PM
I say keep it even if they do show must games on network TV.

I got lucky this past season, I live in Norfolk,VA which is considered the Redskins market so I didnt have to worry about an AFC team nearby over riding the steelers on CBS(all nfc games are on fox) if they were on at the same time(which in ur case would probably be the raiders or the chargers every week which could be an issue.

Every game was on TV here exept for 2 i got lucky. The 2 that weren't on tv: the thursday night game against cincy on NFL network ( cox cable blows and doesn't give it to you even with their digital package its extra) but was still able to get that one online on nfl.com (well most of it the online broadcast sucked and was more talk instudio than football:blah:) The other game was the game at home vs the browns but i didnt give a shit about that because I was at that game :tt: to witness that 31-0 asswhooping ( though it did get scary when ben went down).

Anyways I say keep it its only 300 bucks, i know i would if my apt complex allowed satellite dishes. Look at it this way you would easily spend that much for 2 decent tickets for one game in person,but with sunday ticket your getting all 16 games GUARANTEED for about that price. Yea you could go to a bar and watch the game but personally I hate the smell of cigarette smoke and paying tons of money for beer and food at a bar and watching it on a shitty TV. Also don't count on online streaming to see all the games. 2007 season i had to do that for over half the games that wernt primetime. It sucked, streams were unreliable, often crashed during the game and had shitty quality or constantly disconnected you and had forced you to reconnect.

I know its a little late now but for the future if you set aside money throughout the year for the whole year it doesnt sting as bad as paying 300 bucks at once. It comes out to 25 bucks a month which isnt hard to trim from your budget.(but everyone's situation is different so I dunno, just my experience)

BlastFurnace
07-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Direct TV gave me a discount this year. That being said, I really enjoy watching all the games....unless the Steelers lose....then I'm not in the mood to watch anything else.

NJarhead
07-20-2009, 05:41 PM

Ditto. I think I may have missed one game if I didn't have NFL Sunday Ticket. Still, I don't want to take any chances. There are only 16 to 20 of them per year.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-20-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys. I just got mine knocked down to $149 and the Superfan pack is free!

Bring on the HD Steeler football !

steelers7807
07-21-2009, 05:49 AM
My friend was trying to cancel the sunday ticket and got the same deal as you Hammer-$150.00 and the superfan free. Just go and try and negociate with them. Something is better than nothing in thier eyes.

Curtain_of_Steel
07-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Lambert, sorry for the long delayed response.

HD is definately worth it IMO. But I can tolerate a regular event not in HD. The problem with DirectTV is, their non hdtv broadcast looked like it was 20 years ago. IMO they filtered it to look way worse than it should be to get people to upgrade.
I have a 58inch Samsung in the theater room and a 42 in the family room. Can not beat the picture, of course it has to be set up right, LOL Found out that later when someone said WTF, the picture is good, but let me(him) fix it, lol

However in my area in NJ, 16 out of the 17 games were on Broadcast TV and the 17th game meant nothing. So it was a waste. DVR was a blassing as I was soccer games every sunday, yelling at people, "I don't want to know, I don't want to know. Than coming home fast forwarding through everything and watching the game in 45 minutes, lol.

This year so far DirectTv hit my credit card for the first payment. Illegally as I didn't sign up for the auto enrollement, major mercahtn account violation. I need to call them as they stated they would like to talk to me before canceling. So my guess is, everyone can get it cheaper by calling and saying, ummm I want to cancel. I will post my results as well.

SteelersHoss
07-21-2009, 10:35 AM
I say u still buy it. Better se safe than sorry.

sixstringlass
07-21-2009, 08:52 PM
If you call and ask to cancel the Sunday Ticket, they'll knock some money off. I got them to knock it down to $200, and got Super Fan for free, too. Worth ten minutes on the phone, IMO.

NJarhead
07-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks guys. I just got mine knocked down to $149 and the Superfan pack is free!

Bring on the HD Steeler football !

How?

Hammer Of The GODS
07-22-2009, 08:51 PM
All you gotta do is call them up and say "Hey I just looked at my bill and Sunday Ticket is just too much money in this economy". I reminded them of how it used to be $149 and boom they knocked it back down. If they don't offer it tell them you want to cancel and you want to speak to the retention department. They should toss in the superpack too. Good luck