PDA

View Full Version : Time to Move on.

Preacher
02-04-2009, 12:00 PM
So our Steelers won the SB.

We are happy, we are excited. It still hasn't completely sunk in.

However, We have FA coming up, resigning our players, contract restructuring, Combine and draft, etc.

And one big question: How does Tomlin handle win a SB? Is the drive lesser now, or does he get even hungrier and drive his team harder this year?

Hines0wnz
02-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Can we please revel just a few days longer? :tt02:

I know this is 2 in 3 years but I like to savor sweet victory, especially this one since the Cowgirls are officially second fiddle to us once again. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
02-04-2009, 12:05 PM
It's not over yet.

I'm still picking out more new hats.

Call me back around draft day.

Steelcitygal87
02-04-2009, 12:07 PM

However, We have FA coming up, resigning our players, contract restructuring, Combine and draft, etc.

And one big question: How does Tomlin handle win a SB? Is the drive lesser now, or does he get even hungrier and drive his team harder this year?

Well, as he stated after one of their wins this season.."There is no quit in this team". And I believe that same attitude will carry over into next season. That is the ultimate goal of every team every single year... from off season conditioning, to training camp, through the reg. season...to become World Champs. So I believe next year the fire and desire to repeat will be there.

fansince'76
02-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Stay off the motorcycle, Ben!

Hines0wnz
02-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Well, as he stated after one of their wins this season.."There is no quit in this team". And I believe that same attitude will carry over into next season. That is the ultimate goal of every team every single year... from off season conditioning, to training camp, through the reg. season...to become World Champs. So I believe next year the fire and desire to repeat will be there.

Plus, as his John Lynch interview indicated he will always find ways for them to improve. I think he will really challenge them next season to be even better.

Steeldude
02-04-2009, 12:09 PM
i think tomlin will remain hungry due to his young age.

Hines0wnz
02-04-2009, 12:10 PM

I was hoping he would ride twisties with me! :flap:

fansince'76
02-04-2009, 12:11 PM
I was hoping he would ride twisties with me! :flap:

KW2 is available to do that with you. :chuckle:

Steelcitygal87
02-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Plus, as his John Lynch interview indicated he will always find ways for them to improve. I think he will really challenge them next season to be even better.

Yep, that is what a great coach does...from year to year.... bringing out and demanding the best from his players. He obtained the ultimate success with this team this year...and I don't think he is the type of person to just settle on past glory...so next year he will push them even harder. He is the perfect fit as coach for this team...I truly believe that. :tt03:

BlastFurnace
02-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm celebrating this one for a while.

I'm not even worried about the status of Max, Nate, BMAC, etc. That time is here for Colbert....It's not here for me.

It's been two days....way...way to short to move on.

I moved on too early in 2005-6. I'm not making the same mistake this time.

I'm staying in "Sports Heaven"

BlastFurnace
02-04-2009, 12:41 PM
KW2 is available to do that with you. :chuckle:

I'd take him.

LukesDad88
02-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I don't see winning it in his second year as lessening the drive. If anything I see it as creating expectations and a demand to be back there again.

If he'd been coaching for 10-15 years and coming close time after time, then yeah, I could see it lowering his drive. Look at Cowher and Dungy. Both retired pretty shortly after finally winning it all. But again, in your second year? It only raises your expectations (for good or for bad).

roscoe777
02-04-2009, 12:56 PM
There is no way I can move on just yet, I haven't orderd anything.........but the flag on the front of the house is still up and will remain until I see fit. :tt02:

jjpro11
02-04-2009, 01:02 PM
no way. lol.. if i only had 2 days to enjoy the steelers winning the super bowl i wouldnt even bother being a fan and watching the nfl. im milking this one all summer long and into next year. :tt02:

BlastFurnace
02-04-2009, 01:03 PM
I just ordered the complete season on DVD.

I want to oder a nice coat, but unfortunately...in Texas...there isn't much use for one for 10 months out of the year.

BlastFurnace
02-04-2009, 01:04 PM
no way. lol.. if i only had 2 days to enjoy the steelers winning the super bowl i wouldnt even bother being a fan and watching the nfl. im milking this one all summer long and into next year. :tt02:

Exactly....Exactly!

It's way to soon to move on. This is a year long party this time.

SteelCurtain7
02-04-2009, 03:51 PM

Have to disagree a bit, Preacher-man. IMO, we all need about a week (two, at most) to let all these good times sink in. Then it's back to business. :tt:

SteelCurtain7
02-04-2009, 03:53 PM
I just ordered the complete season on DVD.

I want to oder a nice coat, but unfortunately...in Texas...there isn't much use for one for 10 months out of the year.

Don't let that nice weather stop you. :wink: I saw the Steelers pleather lacket (I have one) on sale for fifty-something at NFL.com. Awesome coat, should work well on Texas's "colder" nights. :tt:

jev7452
02-04-2009, 03:54 PM

hahaha i was thinking the same thing since we ALL know what happened last time they won a super bowl!!:banging:

Preacher
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Have to disagree a bit, Preacher-man. IMO, we all need about a week (two, at most) to let all these good times sink in. Then it's back to business. :tt:

:laughing:

I can understand. But I will tell you what... I am thoroughly impressed with our coach saying things like, "we are already a month behind in the 09 season."

Wow. Go get 'em coach!

westcoastransplant
02-04-2009, 03:56 PM

Super Bowl merch hasn't hit out here yet so I haven't had a chance to participate in that celebration yet.

As far as Tomlin goes, I think he had a great attitude when he said that next year they will not be looking to repeat or will not be the defending champions. This championship belongs to this year. Next year will have different personel, hopefully not too much, and will be filled with new challenges.

Steelersfanforlife
02-04-2009, 04:03 PM
the Steelers should focus on fixing the o-line during the Offseason. in about a week or so the Steelers organization will switch their focus to the Offseason because the superbowl win should have sunk in by then

SteelCurtain7
02-04-2009, 04:09 PM
:laughing:

I can understand. But I will tell you what... I am thoroughly impressed with our coach saying things like, "we are already a month behind in the 09 season."

Wow. Go get 'em coach!

You have to admire Coach Tomlin's focus. That's probably a good reason why they'll stand a good chance to repeat. :tt:

MasterOfPuppets
02-04-2009, 06:51 PM
tomlin is way to success drivin to pull back on the reigns.....from listening to his interviews, complacency isn't in his nature.

NJarhead
02-04-2009, 06:58 PM
It's not over yet.

I'm still picking out more new hats.

Call me back around draft day.

Find any good ones? That one they were wearing at the game was hideous.

AllD
02-04-2009, 07:28 PM
He can let the core players enjoy the challenge of a repeat. He might be missing a point of tradition. All of us who remember the magic of the birth, growth, and maturity of the 1970s teams attribute some of today's success to that legacy.

Sure free agency prohibts at this time, any team from equaling what was done with the 1979 Steelers (exclusively draft picks) from happening, it is not to say that some members will stay with the Steelers to prevent from having to play on the Lions, Browns, Raiders, etc. A person that jumps just for the money no longer has the right attitude.

The reality of a limited budget and common sense of taking care of veteran players versus paying huge sums to unproven rookies rarely occurs with the Black and Gold. It also promotes competition within the organization to keep the best players and field the best team every season without ever taking a season off.

Randal El will never go to the HOF now and he only has one ring when he could have easily had two. Fanaca will probably go to the HOF, but has to deal with so many headaches now. Porter deserves our respect, but he will never again have what he had in Pittsburgh. They all got paydays, but it wasn't like they were making minimum wage. Validation comes with making plays and winning in Championships. Anybody can cash a check and money doesn't last forever. And whatever they got, I guarantee it still wasn't enough in their minds.

Potsie
02-04-2009, 07:50 PM
He can let the core players enjoy the challenge of a repeat. He might be missing a point of tradition. All of us who remember the magic of the birth, growth, and maturity of the 1970s teams attribute some of today's success to that legacy.

Sure free agency prohibts at this time, any team from equaling what was done with the 1979 Steelers (exclusively draft picks) from happening, it is not to say that some members will stay with the Steelers to prevent from having to play on the Lions, Browns, Raiders, etc. A person that jumps just for the money no longer has the right attitude.

The reality of a limited budget and common sense of taking care of veteran players versus paying huge sums to unproven rookies rarely occurs with the Black and Gold. It also promotes competition within the organization to keep the best players and field the best team every season without ever taking a season off.

Randal El will never go to the HOF now and he only has one ring when he could have easily had two. Fanaca will probably go to the HOF, but has to deal with so many headaches now. Porter deserves our respect, but he will never again have what he had in Pittsburgh. They all got paydays, but it wasn't like they were making minimum wage. Validation comes with making plays and winning in Championships. Anybody can cash a check and money doesn't last forever. And whatever they got, I guarantee it still wasn't enough in their minds.

That's exactly why I'm not worrying about this teams losing much to FA. All of the players are talking about how this group is the most tight-knit that they have ever been a part of. I really believe that, aside from Larry Foote, a lot of our Free Agents will be willing to take maybe a little less pay than they would get elsewhere to stay a part of this team.

Fire Haley
02-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Find any good ones? That one they were wearing at the game was hideous.

I found a couple I like

http://product.images.fansedge.com/64-11/64-11639-P.jpg

http://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_245000/DS_245999_l.jpg

Galax Steeler
02-05-2009, 03:59 AM
I think this superbowl win just mad Tomlin get hungrier for his next superbowl I beleive that he is one that won't let up he is probably already thinking about next year.

DJ919
02-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Can we please revel just a few days longer? :tt02:

I know this is 2 in 3 years but I like to savor sweet victory, especially this one since the Cowgirls are officially second fiddle to us once again. :chuckle:

:tt02:..I agree 500%...All that other FA / Draft talk stuff is beyond our control. We're the fans...Steelers get the titles, We help in celebration. Steelers play, we cheer. The Steelers get to working on SB Ring #7...as a fan, I'll still and will always be celebrating 6 until that 7th is achieved. I'll celebrate each and every Steeler accomplishment . There's no time limit on that. :thumbsup:

AllD
02-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Three in a row would be special.

IndyColtsSBXLI
02-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Hey SBs don't come along every day,

take time enjoy it!

BlastFurnace
02-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey SBs don't come along every day,

take time enjoy it!

Exactly. This celebration is going to last a while.

lilyoder6
02-05-2009, 04:45 PM
i have a lil secret but.. i am gonna enjoy this SB and evrything.. til FA starts.. then i'll see how i feel.

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2009, 04:52 PM

In order to be a success, he must still be hungry. So must every single member of our team.

Ben only has 2 Rings. Terry has FOUR.

Ward has 2 Rings. Swann has FOUR.

Tomlin has 1 Ring. Noll has FOUR!

Until they pass the "Greatest Ever" they must maintain their focus and resolve to always be better. Because they are not the Greatest Ever. There are 4 Trophies on that case of 6 they didn't earn.

They all owe me more. I want more! Dang it! Go win me another one already! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(ps...how long do I have til the season starts? man...my wife is not going to put up with me for that long)

Fire Haley
02-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Three in a row would be special.

I like this

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/Sixburgh.jpg

stillers4me
02-05-2009, 05:28 PM
That picture is sweeeeeeet!

Besides, didn't the groundhog come out this week and say that Steelers have have six more weeks to celebrate? :chuckle:

Fire Haley
02-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Give me some karma and I'll steal some more.

Steelcitygal87
02-05-2009, 05:35 PM
That picture is beautiful! Thanks , Killer. :)

Fire Haley
02-05-2009, 06:13 PM
You tellum muffin

Harrison92
02-05-2009, 06:34 PM

I think Tomlin gets hungrier for winning.I think he now has even stronger love for the whole organization and Steeler Nation.That's going to drive him to bring SB#7 to the steel city.He see's our love for the Steelers and the Rooneys and I think it's sinking in fast.:thumbsup:

Shoes
02-05-2009, 06:37 PM

and stay out of the refrig Casey :chuckle: