PDA

View Full Version : Wiz can only blame himself....

aries4972
02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
----Why was Dominque Rodgers Cromatie(sp?) locked up all day with Santonio.

----Holmes abused him all night with the exception of maybe two or three plays where he was in great position. dude was giving him a 10-15yrd cushion:doh:

----why didn't they put the rookie on Ward who he was hurt?

Does anyone think the game would have turned out differently if they doubled Holmes and let the rookie cover Ward?

just asking

:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

Steelersfanforlife
02-04-2009, 03:34 PM
probably should have doubled Homes he was abusing Rodgers Cromatie all night. the game probably would not have been affected entirely but you never know.

steelreserve
02-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Well, if you asked anyone before the game, Rogers-Cromartie walked on water, as did Warner and Fitzgerald. All we did was shove a big dose of reality down their throats. It wouldn't have turned out any differently.

jjpro11
02-04-2009, 03:49 PM
nate washington burned him too but ben underthrew it. but im not going to trash the guy.. he was a rookie. if someone were to judge ike taylor on his 2nd half performance, they would think he isnt a very good cb.. which we all know couldnt be more untrue.

BlastFurnace
02-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I don't think Whiz has anything to be ashamed of. They came within a whisker of beating us.

mike15618
02-04-2009, 04:30 PM
This is exactly why I think the Rooneys didn't give Wiz the HC job.Brilliant as he is, he's way to trucken conservative. He played the game not to loose when he should have been playing to win. It's the biggest melon farming game of dog mad year. Tomlin & LeBeau played it way to safe in my book and I'm now convinced Arians has lost all grasp of sanity but how do you (insert derogatory term for sexual intercourse here) justify not throwing Fitz the friggen ball for three middle finger quarters? We're lucky Wiz was on the other side and not on ours.

drizze99
02-04-2009, 04:47 PM
DRC was even getting burned by Nate... The Steeler wideouts made him their bitch all night long.

HAWK
02-04-2009, 05:03 PM
...and I'm now convinced Arians has lost all grasp of sanity

Huh?

AllD
02-04-2009, 06:47 PM
The Cards got outcoached. They did not change their game plan until the 3rd when they played like they had nothing to lose. That's when the momentum changed in their favor.

Both Ds were gassed and the fact that the Cards only had 6 plays in the first quarter kept them with their conservative strategy from building an early, large lead. Maybe they should have taken the ball and came out throwing bombs. 20/20

T&B fan
02-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Well, if you asked anyone before the game, Rogers-Cromartie walked on water, as did Warner and Fitzgerald. All we did was shove a big dose of reality down their throats. It wouldn't have turned out any differently.

:rofl::rofl::toofunny::toofunny:

IAWarnerFan
02-04-2009, 08:00 PM

Rookies! :mad:

xFreeWord420x
02-05-2009, 12:27 AM
The Cards got outcoached. They did not change their game plan until the 3rd when they played like they had nothing to lose. That's when the momentum changed in their favor.

Both Ds were gassed and the fact that the Cards only had 6 plays in the first quarter kept them with their conservative strategy from building an early, large lead. Maybe they should have taken the ball and came out throwing bombs. 20/20

The Cardinals didn't get out-coached, they got out played. They actually had a fantastic offensive game plan, it just didn't pan out because our defense has seen it all.

As you all know, as well as they did, the flats were going to be wide open all nite because of the coverage on Fitz. So they were patient, and took it while they could. Once the Steelers picked up on that, the flats weren't open anymore, but the seems were.

You could have Lebeau tell me in person, and I still wouldn't believe it was his plan to start picking up the flats, and spread out the safeties. If you watch right before the 65-yard touchdown pass, you can see Batch discussing something with Tomlin. I am thinking he saw something, and thats what convinced the change in our scheme. Warner being the smart QB he is, also saw what we did, and took advantage of it. Notice Fitz playing in the slot?

As for the Wiz not getting the job; He doesn't fit the mentality of a Steelers HC. He is way to conservative, and isn't defensive minded. The only reason Tomlin got the job over Grimm and Wiz, is solely because of his defensive history.

Now, as for BA, he has never had sanity to begin with. Who and the hell calls a dive when your in your own endzone?

IAWarnerFan
02-05-2009, 01:24 AM
The defense got outplayed the whole game. The offense made one HUGE mistake, but overall did well enough to win. The defense had a chance to put a little checkmate at the end like they did vs Atlanta and just didn't get it done.
Big Ben > Matt Ryan was probably the reason for that tho. Both were excellent teams in the end and this could very well be known as one of the best Super Bowls all time.

Galax Steeler
02-05-2009, 03:46 AM
I think if they would have moved him over to cover Ward I beleive that Ward would have had a good game his knee might have been a bothering him but single coverage on Ward that don't work to well.

LukesDad88
02-05-2009, 08:07 AM
What the heck are you guys talking about, Whis way to conservative and not fitting the Steelers mold? They threw the ball forty times! That's conservative? And since when is a Steeler coach not conservative? All we hear is "Smashmouth Football"! Steeler Football is strong defense, strong running game, throw the ball 20-25 times, control time of possession. That sure sounds conservative to me. As far as their D, that's on Pendergast. Even then, they've only got so many people in the secondary, and normally play Wilson as a blitzing safety. That leaves DRC and Franciso and some no name guys. Wards got to pull attention, they have to watch Nate on the long ball, you've got to have decent coverage on Miller down the middle, that means you've got to try to keep your Holmes covered by one guy. If it's one, then it needs to be your best guy. That was DRC. Fortunately, he wasn't good enough.

It wasn't DRC ruining them at the end, it was Francisco.

Whis conservative? Two flea flickers in the playoff. Throwing on first and goal. Whis wasn't too conservative, he wasn't conservative enough.

I like Tomlin, I think he was the right choice, but you got to admit that Whis did a heck of a job in turning that franchise around.

fansince'76
02-05-2009, 08:10 AM
I like Tomlin, I think he was the right choice, but you got to admit that Whis did a heck of a job in turning that franchise around.

I'd like to see if they can actually sustain it first as opposed to being just a one year fluke. Of course, the NFC West isn't exactly packed with powerhouses, so they may win the division again more by default than anything else.

xFreeWord420x
02-05-2009, 08:58 AM
What the heck are you guys talking about, Whis way to conservative and not fitting the Steelers mold? They threw the ball forty times! That's conservative? And since when is a Steeler coach not conservative? All we hear is "Smashmouth Football"! Steeler Football is strong defense, strong running game, throw the ball 20-25 times, control time of possession. That sure sounds conservative to me. As far as their D, that's on Pendergast. Even then, they've only got so many people in the secondary, and normally play Wilson as a blitzing safety. That leaves DRC and Franciso and some no name guys. Wards got to pull attention, they have to watch Nate on the long ball, you've got to have decent coverage on Miller down the middle, that means you've got to try to keep your Holmes covered by one guy. If it's one, then it needs to be your best guy. That was DRC. Fortunately, he wasn't good enough.

It wasn't DRC ruining them at the end, it was Francisco.

Whis conservative? Two flea flickers in the playoff. Throwing on first and goal. Whis wasn't too conservative, he wasn't conservative enough.

This is a new era of football.. An era of football that isn't about power anymore, it is about speed. Conservative isn't the same conservative it once was. Your right, conservative used to mean running the ball until 3rd and long, but it doesn't anymore. In Wiz position, conservative is exactly what he was for 3 quarters, 3-5 yard passes, draws and dives from James. Wiz doesn't fit the steelers mold, at all. Like I said, he isn't defensive minded.

As far as Wiz doing a good job, I agree 100%, and there is no doubt about it. The Cardinals were basically a no name, and they were in the super bowl? But he wasn't the greatest OC in my eyes. I am not taking anything away from him. Read my post, I was defending him. Wiz was way to conservative the whole game though, until he realised he shouldn't be. Thats where the 65 yarder comes in.

Milkman
02-05-2009, 09:05 AM
Didn't DRC get burned by Desean Jackson in the NFCCC?

That was probably a precursor of things to come since Jackson and Holmes are both speedsters.
:coffee:

HAWK
02-05-2009, 09:52 AM

Isn't that what so many of complained about all the time when Whiz was our OC?:banging:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Who was the other option?? Lock up Rod Hood on Holmes??

DRC was their best option, otherwise they needed Wilson to play a lot of coverage and he really isnt a good safety in coverage.

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I think that the early Pass to Ward that was a huge gain opened up our passing attack for Holmes. Nate was a non-factor all day, Our TEs were pretty well used however, we usually had a guy in the flat that needed to be watched as well. If they would have moved a double over to Holmes, the ball would have went to Ward even more.

Hurt or not, he is the Clutch Receiver that you have to watch in the key points of the game. That first catch of his probably put fear into the Cardinals of a 2nd MVP for him so they had to pay him close attention.

They put faith in the Rookie and it didn't work. It happens, but that Rookie will be the better for it next season.

steelax04
02-05-2009, 12:35 PM
I don't think Whiz has anything to be ashamed of. They came within a whisker of beating us.

I agree... I think he and his staff have done a hell of a job in AZ. Just unfortunate for them that it's an aging QB that helped pull them to the Super Bowl and not a stud still on the rise like Ben.

Preacher
02-05-2009, 01:06 PM
The defense got outplayed the whole game. The offense made one HUGE mistake, but overall did well enough to win. The defense had a chance to put a little checkmate at the end like they did vs Atlanta and just didn't get it done.
Big Ben > Matt Ryan was probably the reason for that tho. Both were excellent teams in the end and this could very well be known as one of the best Super Bowls all time.

Great summation.

markymarc
02-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Holmes was going to burn whoever was put on him in the Super Bowl. DRC is their best cover corner and Holmes showed the world why he is a very good WR now.

lilyoder6
02-05-2009, 04:38 PM
i think whiz was smart 2 keep drc on holmes all day.. esp with the way holmes has been playing all post-season.. DRC was the cards best corner.. and he has great speed that could keep up with holmes...

all i have 2 say is that.. DRC will be a greater cb next yr.. and maybe a pro-bowl