PDA

View Full Version : Which position do you want the Steelers to draft in the 1st round?

Steeldude
02-04-2009, 04:21 PM
i'm curious to what steelers' fans want. i am guessing OL will be chosen the most, but you never know. the DL isn't getting any younger. a case can be made for the DBs too.

Steelcitygal87
02-04-2009, 05:33 PM
I voted for OL. I do agree with you about our DL not getting any younger, but I feel we are more solid there than we are at the OL position...evident by our lack of being consistent in establishing a running attack in most of our games this year.

KeiselPower99
02-04-2009, 07:07 PM
As much as I think best player there I have to admit if its not a lineman Ill be suprised.

AllD
02-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if they traded #1 for a #2 and a #3.

TheWarDen86
02-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Keep Starks and grab someone to compete with Colon.

I also wouldn't be against trading Ike and keeping McFadden and Gay on the roster.

To me, it seems as though Ike gets beat, face guards and puts us on the goal-line too often. He's had his good moments, but I'm no longer impressed.

Galax Steeler
02-05-2009, 04:08 AM
I went ol cause we need to keep been off of his back my second pic would have been dl we need to work on both of these during the off season.

Acerero'1972
02-05-2009, 09:01 AM
OL in the first and DL in the second round

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Keep Starks and grab someone to compete with Colon.

Tony Hills will compete with Colon. The kid needs to prove he can compete and earn some playing time.

atlsteelers
02-05-2009, 09:58 AM
i went OL - looks everybody has the same idea. although i would like to see us add some youth to the DL too.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2009, 10:23 AM
You are all a bunch of lemmings. Everybody knows we are gonna draft RB and WR. :chuckle:

klick81
02-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Most. Unncessary. Poll. Ever. :flap:

Steeldude
02-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Everybody knows we are gonna draft RB and WR

amazingly, i have actually found mock drafts with the steelers taking a WR in the 1st.

The Duke
02-05-2009, 03:15 PM
You are all a bunch of lemmings. Everybody knows we are gonna draft RB and WR. :chuckle:

hmm....how about a DB? Warner torched the secondary in the super bowl after all :rolleyes:

Steelersfanforlife
02-05-2009, 03:27 PM
We really need an OL

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2009, 06:13 PM
hmm....how about a DB? Warner torched the secondary in the super bowl after all :rolleyes:

Yeah, I actually think Don Banks of SI has us taking a CB because he says that opposing offenses pick on Ike Taylor all the time and McFadden may be gone in free agency.

I can see McFadden maybe leaving, but the part about teams picking on Ike shows how little Banks knows about the team.

Steeldude
02-05-2009, 06:41 PM

a DB is needed. mcfadden will be gone and townsend isn't getting any younger. anthony smith is gone and carter is just average on his best day. someone needs to backup polamalu and clark if they get injured etc...

Billman
02-05-2009, 06:58 PM
I think we need a bruiser of a running back. A guy who can get 3 to 4 yds at a pop. We need to get back to ball control.

Billman

lilyoder6
02-05-2009, 07:06 PM
i wouldn't doubt the steelers picking up a db if there is real no apparant o-line or d-line thats a 1st rd talent

SunshineMan21
02-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Who the hell voted for RB?

And while we may need some DB depth, we don't need to spend a 1st round pick . . . out of our whole secondary only Troy was 1st round.

devilsdancefloor
02-06-2009, 01:09 AM

http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/3/2/6/f_lemmings1m_4ee2211.jpg

Oline:chuckle:

steelwall
02-06-2009, 01:29 AM
I'm going with QB..:laughing:...sorry couldnt resist..:chuckle:

steelerdave1969
02-06-2009, 04:57 AM
i'm curious to what steelers' fans want. i am guessing OL will be chosen the most, but you never know. the DL isn't getting any younger. a case can be made for the DBs too.

If the Steelers can get B-Mac resigned at DB, then I think the Steelers are set for a couple more years pretty well at that position. I voted Def. Line myself. I think that it takes longer for a DE or DT to get in our lineup with Aaron Smith and Big Snack holding down their resepective positions on this team. But, with the way that Tomlin held Snack out in this past spring would it suprise anyone if he made another statement to Hampton and drafted a top notch DT in this upcoming draft?, It wouldnt suprise me at all.

steelerdave1969
02-06-2009, 04:59 AM
I'm going with QB..:laughing:...sorry couldnt resist..:chuckle:

I think the Steelers could select a QB in the late rounds of this upcoming april draft, wouldnt suprise me at all..

Texasteel
02-06-2009, 05:01 AM
[QUOTE=SunshineMan21;558522]Who the hell voted for RB?QUOTE]

I think that was Steeldude. He's be pushing RB all year.

DACEB
02-06-2009, 09:21 AM
the way that Tomlin held Snack out in this past spring would it suprise anyone if he made another statement to Hampton and drafted a top notch DT in this upcoming draft?, It wouldnt suprise me at all.

Agreed. I voted D-line. We need to find that guy that can be disruptive in the backfield.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-06-2009, 09:38 AM
a DB is needed. mcfadden will be gone and townsend isn't getting any younger. anthony smith is gone and carter is just average on his best day. someone needs to backup polamalu and clark if they get injured etc...

I think the Steelers will sign McFadden. In 2010 the group will be Taylor, McFadden, Gay, Roy Lewis and a rookie. With Polamalu, Clark, Mundy and a 2010 draft pick at safety. Taylor, McFadden and Gay is still a good group of CB's.

TheSteelCurtain
02-06-2009, 10:56 AM
I think the Steelers will sign McFadden. In 2010 the group will be Taylor, McFadden, Gay, Roy Lewis and a rookie. With Polamalu, Clark, Mundy and a 2010 draft pick at safety. Taylor, McFadden and Gay is still a good group of CB's.

I agree im interested to see what Ryan Mundy does in camp this year. I like our CB group they have done a great job. Warner was going to put up numbers on any CB group. I dont know how people can say our secondary got totally torched in the super bowl. Arizona turned 1 dimensional about 10 minutes into the game. They are gonna put some yards up on any secondary. We kept them out of the endzone a good portion of the game though. Our coverage in the Superbowl was designed to keep everything in front. We knew going into it we would give up some yards. The 65 yd Fitz touchdown was just a terrible defense call. Polamalu and Lubeau both said so after the game. The long pass to bolding was a damned if you do damned if you dont scenario. Other than those 2 plays they did great.

Steeldude
02-06-2009, 01:31 PM
[QUOTE=SunshineMan21;558522]Who the hell voted for RB?QUOTE]

I think that was Steeldude. He's be pushing RB all year.

i have? for the last 7 or so years i have been pushing OL. i can't remember when i ever wanted a RB in the 1st round. i was opposed to drafting mendehall last season because it didn't fill a need.

Texasteel
02-06-2009, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=Texasteel;558540]

i have? for the last 7 or so years i have been pushing OL. i can't remember when i ever wanted a RB in the 1st round. i was opposed to drafting mendehall last season because it didn't fill a need.

You'll feel much better if you can find a sence of humor.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-06-2009, 04:06 PM
[QUOTE=Texasteel;558540]

Steeldude, You quoted this back in December

Steeldude
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4570 Re: Good left tackles are hard to come by (not to mention expensive)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i can't see the steelers drafting OL in the first 2 rounds. unless they find someone with a lame foot who is known to be injury prone.

i am guessing they pick a WR or TE with the first pick.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-06-2009, 04:09 PM
The 65 yd Fitz touchdown was just a terrible defense call. Polamalu and Lubeau both said so after the game. .

It actually wasnt a bad call....it was a bad play by Polamalu. He jumped the out by Boldin and left Ike all alone in the middle with Fitzgerald. IF Troy stays inside, that TD never happens.

Just so the world knows........Troy is human too and makes mistakes.

Steeldude
02-06-2009, 05:13 PM
You'll feel much better if you can find a sence of humor

:smile: or if you can apply sarcasm to the post with an emoticon or something similar :smile:

LukesDad88
02-06-2009, 05:15 PM
I vote for best player on the board. Whether it's O-Line, D-Line, Linebacker, D-Back, WR, RB, whatever.

It's worked out pretty well, so far. OTOH, if you have several players on the board that are all equivalent players, and one of them happens to be a LT....

Steeldude
02-06-2009, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=Steeldude;559039]

Steeldude, You quoted this back in December

Steeldude
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4570 Re: Good left tackles are hard to come by (not to mention expensive)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i can't see the steelers drafting OL in the first 2 rounds. unless they find someone with a lame foot who is known to be injury prone.

i am guessing they pick a WR or TE with the first pick.

that's my guess to what the steelers could do. it's not who i want drafted.

TheWarDen86
02-06-2009, 05:20 PM
It actually wasnt a bad call....it was a bad play by Polamalu. He jumped the out by Boldin and left Ike all alone in the middle with Fitzgerald. IF Troy stays inside, that TD never happens.

Just so the world knows........Troy is human too and makes mistakes.

Ike was covering him and Fitz blew him out.

SunshineMan21
02-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I think it was actually Harrison (terribly enough) who ended up trying to cover Fitz.

As for the D-line argument, I agree with you guys--while our D-line is excellent now, Hampton, Smith, and Kirschke are all on the wrong side of 30, and we need to make sure that when they start slowing down we have more guys ready to step in and fill their shoes.

The problem is that there are such a small number of players with the ability to be a 3-4 NT like Casey Hampton, Kelly Gregg, Jammal Williams, etc . . . that it's very unlikely that we can get one with the #32 picks.

As for DEs, unless we take Tyson Jackson (who seems to be falling), I haven't heard much about any good 3/4 DE prospects in this year's draft.

When it seems like we'll have some solid options at O-line, IMO it makes sense to go there.

Nighthawk
02-07-2009, 12:13 AM
I voted DL. I just can't see us pulling the trigger in first round on OL, we're gonna need to start getting some bodies back there to replace our aging DL.. 2nd , 3rd, even 4th i can see us getting OL, maybe one of those rounds we try to find an energy/dangerous return guy

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Ike was covering him and Fitz blew him out.

Go back and watch the play. Tell me if the Steelers are not in cover-2 and Troy decides to jump the out route that Boldin runs.............instead of giving Ike safety help over the top with Fitzgerald. Troy made the bad read.

Ike cant be expected to cover the entire half of the field with Fitzgerald all alone(for 3-4 seconds), any more than the Cards can expect DRC to stick with Holmes in the same situation.

IF you think that coverage was "blowing him out" you have unrealistic expectations of an NFL CB. Again, go watch the tape. This video doesnt show all of it,(the aerial replay is better) but you can see Boldin run the out and Troy comes in late because he helped with Boldin.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e8487a

We dont need a CB if Taylor, McFadden, Gay, Townsend are back next season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-07-2009, 12:03 PM
As for DEs, unless we take Tyson Jackson (who seems to be falling), I haven't heard much about any good 3/4 DE prospects in this year's draft.

Fili Moala
Jarron Gilbert
Evander Hood

are all better 3-4 DE prospects than Tyson Jackson IMO. I would even take Mitch King if he was a bit bigger. Jackson looks like Tarzan...........but plays like Jane.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2009, 12:20 PM
I would like Two offensive Linemen..a DE and a safety with the first four picks...Not necessarily in that order.

stillers4me
02-07-2009, 03:13 PM
As great as this season was I hate complain. But I wish someone would go back and figure out how many points we left at the goal line we couldn't punch it through.

That's who I want ......what ever it takes to get 6 on 3rd and goal. It was making me crazy!

Aussie_steeler
02-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Fili Moala
Jarron Gilbert
Evander Hood

are all better 3-4 DE prospects than Tyson Jackson IMO. I would even take Mitch King if he was a bit bigger. Jackson looks like Tarzan...........but plays like Jane.

All three of those DE's might well be there in the 2nd round when we pick. Through in a couple of FS (Pegues, Delmas, Moore or Johnson). I wouldnt complain about any of them.

This pick looks like it will be a quality D pick (unless someone free falls)

In the first I would gladly take a pass orientated LT / RT. They are never going to change Big Bens scrambling style of play so give him a mobile pass orientated OT who can keep him upright.

SunshineMan21
02-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Fili Moala
Jarron Gilbert
Evander Hood

That's true . . . I had forgotten about Moala. I like him, but I don't think he's an elite talent to the point where I pass on Alex Mack (ex.) to take him.

MasterOfPuppets
02-07-2009, 05:38 PM
That's true . . . I had forgotten about Moala. I like him, but I don't think he's an elite talent to the point where I pass on Alex Mack (ex.) to take him.if someone could light a fire under his ass, he could be elite....he takes to many plays off....:thmbdown:

TheWarDen86
02-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Go back and watch the play. Tell me if the Steelers are not in cover-2 and Troy decides to jump the out route that Boldin runs.............instead of giving Ike safety help over the top with Fitzgerald. Troy made the bad read.

Ike cant be expected to cover the entire half of the field with Fitzgerald all alone(for 3-4 seconds), any more than the Cards can expect DRC to stick with Holmes in the same situation.
IF you think that coverage was "blowing him out" you have unrealistic expectations of an NFL CB. Again, go watch the tape. This video doesnt show all of it,(the aerial replay is better) but you can see Boldin run the out and Troy comes in late because he helped with Boldin.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e8487a

We dont need a CB if Taylor, McFadden, Gay, Townsend are back next season.

I will go take another look, but I don't recall it being a 3-4 second play (prior to the catch) either.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2009, 02:39 PM
I will go take another look, but I don't recall it being a 3-4 second play (prior to the catch) either.

I watched it again and both Polamalu and Clark (on the other side) jumped out routes which left the middle of the field open. Might have been a defensive coverage where the safety's had outs and the CB's responsible for the deep third of the field.

I heard Ike Taylor on Jim Rome and he described the play as having a blitz on and Kurt just hung in their and waited, but he couldnt cover Fitzgerald long enough to stop the catch. Might not closer to 2-3 seconds instead of 3-4, but basically you cant leave a corner alone with Fitz in the middle of the field by himself.

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2009, 03:15 PM
:toofunny: ......i seen over on the cardnals board, they're argueing over who blew the coverage on holme's 40 yd catch.