PDA

View Full Version : Very Disappointing..

xFreeWord420x
02-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Okay everyone, since this is really my first thread.. I will give you some History on me.

I have been a Steelers fan since I was a Twinkle in my dads eye. I am 22 years old, live and die by the Steelers. I am a Union Ironworker(What's more fitting to be a steelers fan?). I haven't missed a game in 12 years. The reason I missed that game is because I had to goto the hospital and get stitches, which my father made me wait 12 minutes until half-time to go. We bleed black and gold.

To get back on subject, I was quite dissapointed in the actions of some of the Steeler Nation at the Parade Tuesday. We showed up @ the End of the Parade, where the stage was located, at 6 a.m. We drove an hour and a half to get there. At that time, there wasn't many fans yet. Well, needless to say, it started getting packed. First off, a fight broke loose in the crowd. We just won our 6th superbowl, wtf is there to fight about? Have some class, and save it for the bar.

Second, right before the parade started, they moved some of the family members right in front of us. Everyone started chanting "bullsh**", and causing problems with the family. There were a couple girls who looked like they are 15, and a couple who looked even younger. Obviously these girls were getting aggitated. So then the threats started.. and then people started throwing their papers at them, and other misc. items. Talking about spitting on them, and many other rude/crude remarks and actions.

I have always prided myself on being part of the Steelers nation, because we have pride and class. But those action completely contradicted everything we stand for, and I was 100% dissapointed in the Nation in that moment. I have been to as many Parades as my blessed eyes have seen superbowls. I have been to many games, and rallys. I have NEVER seen this type of behavior.

I just thought I would post, and see how you guys and gals feel about this. It just angered me beyond all belief. That is not the Steeler Nation way.

Thanks,
Mike

DJ919
02-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Yes, its stupid that these kind of unfortunate things happen, but it happens so often when championships are won, its pretty much expected. Just keep celebrating and let the stupid stuff fall to the way side... I couldn't attend the celebration parade, but regardless of the dumb stuff, I wish I could have made it, and consider you lucky for being able to :thumbsup:

xFreeWord420x
02-05-2009, 12:34 AM
Yes, its stupid that these kind of unfortunate things happen, but it happens so often when championships are won, its pretty much expected. Just keep celebrating and let the stupid stuff fall to the way side... I couldn't attend the celebration parade, but regardless of the dumb stuff, I wish I could have made it, and consider you lucky for being able to :thumbsup:

2nd one in 22 years. Thats just to amazing.

stillers4me
02-05-2009, 05:31 AM
They are the same people that would have been fighting if we had lost.

Steelersfanforlife
02-05-2009, 05:41 AM
why would they need to fight

HometownGal
02-05-2009, 05:49 AM
Unfortunately, some people feel that "celebrating" gives them the right to destroy other people's property and ruin the experience of other fans who want to honor their team. These are the same curmudgeons who will bash the team when they have a bad game and get up on their high horses to slice and dice a player who has a brush with the law. Just remember, though - those idiots represent only a miniscule fraction of the Steelers Nation! :drink:

P.S. Welcome to SF! :wave::tt02:

1st&Goal
02-05-2009, 05:58 AM
I'm sorry you had to experience the darker side of what a crowd is capable of my friend. Remember the 10% rule. No matter where you are or what the occasion, 10% of people are just plain idiots. These 10% do NOT represent the classy values of he TRUE Steeler fan. These people are idiots not only in public, but in there private lives as well. Surround yourself with true Steeler fans next time, and your joy will be multiplied.

GBMelBlount
02-05-2009, 05:58 AM
The reason I missed that game is because I had to goto the hospital and get stitches, which my father made me wait 12 minutes until half-time to go. We bleed black and gold.

Are you sure a gaping wound and severe blood loss is enough reason to miss a Steeler game? :chuckle: j/k

Sorry to hear about the crowd freeword. You can't really control the type of people that root for a team. Fortunately, as stated, it is only a small percentage of steeler nation. I hope you enjoyed it otherwise. :thumbsup:

MasterOfPuppets
02-05-2009, 06:05 AM
Are you sure a gaping wound and severe blood loss is enough reason to miss a Steeler game? :chuckle: j/k

Sorry to hear about the crowd freeword. You can't really control the type of people that root for a team. Fortunately, as stated, it is only a small percentage of steeler nation. I hope you enjoyed it otherwise. :thumbsup: yeah i was thinkin the same thing....my father (hard core baltimore colt fan) woulda waited till 12 minute AFTER i passed out from blood lose before i'd been taken too the hospital.....:doh:

xFreeWord420x
02-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Unfortunately, some people feel that "celebrating" gives them the right to destroy other people's property and ruin the experience of other fans who want to honor their team. These are the same curmudgeons who will bash the team when they have a bad game and get up on their high horses to slice and dice a player who has a brush with the law. Just remember, though - those idiots represent only a miniscule fraction of the Steelers Nation! :drink:

P.S. Welcome to SF! :wave::tt02:

Thank you very much!

And if I had the shear passion for the steelers I had now, I would have stitched it myself =P

aries4972
02-05-2009, 09:40 AM
Okay everyone, since this is really my first thread.. I will give you some History on me.

I have been a Steelers fan since I was a Twinkle in my dads eye. I am 22 years old, live and die by the Steelers. I am a Union Ironworker(What's more fitting to be a steelers fan?). I haven't missed a game in 12 years. The reason I missed that game is because I had to goto the hospital and get stitches, which my father made me wait 12 minutes until half-time to go. We bleed black and gold.

To get back on subject, I was quite dissapointed in the actions of some of the Steeler Nation at the Parade Tuesday. We showed up @ the End of the Parade, where the stage was located, at 6 a.m. We drove an hour and a half to get there. At that time, there wasn't many fans yet. Well, needless to say, it started getting packed. First off, a fight broke loose in the crowd. We just won our 6th superbowl, wtf is there to fight about? Have some class, and save it for the bar.

Second, right before the parade started, they moved some of the family members right in front of us. Everyone started chanting "bullsh**", and causing problems with the family. There were a couple girls who looked like they are 15, and a couple who looked even younger. Obviously these girls were getting aggitated. So then the threats started.. and then people started throwing their papers at them, and other misc. items. Talking about spitting on them, and many other rude/crude remarks and actions.

I have always prided myself on being part of the Steelers nation, because we have pride and class. But those action completely contradicted everything we stand for, and I was 100% dissapointed in the Nation in that moment. I have been to as many Parades as my blessed eyes have seen superbowls. I have been to many games, and rallys. I have NEVER seen this type of behavior.

I just thought I would post, and see how you guys and gals feel about this. It just angered me beyond all belief. That is not the Steeler Nation way.

Thanks,
Mike

Dude there are assholes everywhere "Steeler World" is no exception

memphissteelergirl
02-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Yes, sadly even Steeler Nation has its share of numbnuts, but it's those few that have to make the rest of us look bad.

FreeWorld, I hope your experience didn't deter you from making the next parade....same time next year, if all goes well :wink02:

xFreeWord420x
02-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Dude there are assholes everywhere "Steeler World" is no exception

It's not assholes lol.. Im an asshole.. But those guys are just morons.

It's just made me think, "No wonder they didn't want to have a parade.".. That is not a thought I want to have. And don't worry it won't deter me from anymore parades. Btw, the one at Station Square was a hell of a lot better.

Jackal
02-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Well, from the reports I've heard, I think yours was an isolated incident. Even the police remarked on the news yesterday how well behaved everyone was, and that there wasn't 1 arrest out of the 350,000 in attendance.

Where I was standing, about 50 yards in front of the stage, everyone was pretty peaceful. The only thing that happened was, after many people had been standing there for hours, they pulled these huge PAT busses in, completely blocking the views of about 500 people. So, those people pushed the barriers up against the bus and made there way right up next to the stage.

devilsdancefloor
02-05-2009, 12:07 PM

Sorry to hear about the crowd freeword. You can't really control the type of people that root for a team. Fortunately, as stated, it is only a small percentage of steeler nation. I hope you enjoyed it otherwise. :thumbsup:

i was thinking boy toughen up take this towel and apply pressure game should be over in a few hours!! :wink02:

Any sorry abou tthe asshats who was trying to ruin the fun of everyone!

xFreeWord420x
02-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Well, from the reports I've heard, I think yours was an isolated incident. Even the police remarked on the news yesterday how well behaved everyone was, and that there wasn't 1 arrest out of the 350,000 in attendance.

Where I was standing, about 50 yards in front of the stage, everyone was pretty peaceful. The only thing that happened was, after many people had been standing there for hours, they pulled these huge PAT busses in, completely blocking the views of about 500 people. So, those people pushed the barriers up against the bus and made there way right up next to the stage.

I was opposite of that.. right beside where they were entering the stage.. right up against the barrier.. we moved ours abit also.

kingkulsteel
02-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Its just a change in general people now think it is a great honor to be called ghetto or redneck. My thought has always been if you can't behave yourself in public don't go out in public until you can

steelerdave1969
02-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I just think its stupid to go off and cause trouble over something that your supposed to be happy about, that is just something that I truly dont understand.
Sorry for your experience though...
:hug:

Morgan
02-08-2009, 11:51 AM
it doesn't matter.... EVERY EVERY EVERY team in the NFL has some TERRIBLE fans and EVERY EVERY EVER team in the NFL has some fantastic fans. The terrible fans will be terrible no matter what. They're worthless wastes of skin and air in their non-fan lives too, btw.

Hapa
02-08-2009, 03:14 PM
There are thousands of people in Steelers nation. It's unrealistic to think they're all good people.

steelerbackr4life
02-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I was opposite of that.. right beside where they were entering the stage.. right up against the barrier.. we moved ours abit also.

I was right there also. I was a little to the left of where they moved the family members to. I did notice one of the younger girls getting agitated but I did not know what it was in response to. It did get kind of crazy with all the people trying to get a spot that came after people who were already there. This one middle aged woman actually tried to push her round body through me (Im 6/2 225 lbs.) while saying she had an emergency. Everyone got a good laugh when I pointed out to her there was an emergency response vehicle directly in front of the Steel workers building. She wound up being stuck in a mass of people I know she saw nothing,(As I mentioned earlier she was a round woman 5x5 build)

Overall we had a good group that looked out for one another. There were enough of us that were of bigger size that policed ourselves. There was one guy who brought his young daughter and we kept a spot for her where she had some room to move around in her own little circle. When every one came up I was closest to the barricade I let her stand in front of me she had better view than everyone. Several players acknowledged her along with Mr. Rooney.

Whenever you get a large crowd and emotions along with maybe the influence of alchohol become a factor in peoples behavior there will be things that a normal well mannered person will find disturbing. I think for the most part it was a good crowd. Trust me I have been witness to alot worse. I also have tickets for the Yankees just imagine the carnage of a loud mouthed fan of the sawx in a crowded Bronx Subway.

I commend you xfreeword and the job your parents did for raising a person who recognizes non classy behavior and has an issue with it. :thumbsup:

Stlrs4Life
02-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Shame you had to witness that. But like said every where you go, you are going to find a few rotten apples.

Morgan
02-08-2009, 08:40 PM
I was at the Tampa/Steelers game where Kordell had the crying fit... I was sitting in seats that belonged to a season ticket holder who usually sold them, from what I understood from some of the seat neighbors. The guys right behind me were Tampa fans an they were very cool dudes. We had a good time talking football, and enjoying the game. No animosity. The guys behind THEM were trying the WHOLE GAME to get me to actually fight them. No kidding, they were saying things that would curdle cream. The guys in between us that I'd never met told me to just ignore them, they wouldn't start swinging unless I took a swing first, but they did this to EVERYONE who bought the seats I was in.

You just can't (generally) judge a group based on certain members.

Cordlisberger
02-08-2009, 09:56 PM
OK so I am one of the few who had a bad experience ... I took my pregnant wife of 3 months we actually flew in to see the parade cause I could not miss it. It turned bad for me when a guy grabbed my wife in a way only I should in the privacy of our home (even though I dont get to), with her being pregnant it only elevated my anger but because we were there to have fun I told him he was out of line and tried my hardest to walk away and maintain my cool, but he then tossed his beer on her at which point I did snap and turned to him and gave him a push when his buddy hit me in the side of the head, another steeler fan and a good guy came to my defense and tackled the guy who hit me (looked like james harrison taking out the browns fan), I did not really know what was going on from there I just looked for the guy who started this whole mess and did exactly what I did not want to do and got into it a little with this guy I hit him a few times he hit me a few time he then for some reason when to the fetal position clutching is face and I stopped the police came and grabbed us both and took some statements and took the other guy to jail. Now I do apologize for doing what I did to all of steeler nation but everyone please know that my wife and her safety comes first so please accept my apology if I affected anyone's good time... on another note I still enjoyed the parade and hope i do not fall into that 10%

StainlessStill
02-08-2009, 10:15 PM
I was at the parade also, about 30 ft from the stage, on the fence. I went to bed at 3, got up at 6 and got there at 7. Got my spot along the fence, and it started packin' in around 9-10 o clock. Best fans in the world. Who would of thought standing 6 hours would be so much fun.

Fortunately, I didn't get to experience any assholes in the crowd, and wasn't in the mood to deal with it. My section had a blast and was in full celebration for 6 hours. Time of my life.

Just remember don't blame "Steelers Nation." That speaks for all of us. You will have a handful of fans do absurd things.. just let em go and ignore. Every experience I've had with Steelers fans have been very comforting and just plain awesome.

BlastFurnace
02-08-2009, 10:29 PM
OK so I am one of the few who had a bad experience ... I took my pregnant wife of 3 months we actually flew in to see the parade cause I could not miss it. It turned bad for me when a guy grabbed my wife in a way only I should in the privacy of our home (even though I dont get to), with her being pregnant it only elevated my anger but because we were there to have fun I told him he was out of line and tried my hardest to walk away and maintain my cool, but he then tossed his beer on her at which point I did snap and turned to him and gave him a push when his buddy hit me in the side of the head, another steeler fan and a good guy came to my defense and tackled the guy who hit me (looked like james harrison taking out the browns fan), I did not really know what was going on from there I just looked for the guy who started this whole mess and did exactly what I did not want to do and got into it a little with this guy I hit him a few times he hit me a few time he then for some reason when to the fetal position clutching is face and I stopped the police came and grabbed us both and took some statements and took the other guy to jail. Now I do apologize for doing what I did to all of steeler nation but everyone please know that my wife and her safety comes first so please accept my apology if I affected anyone's good time... on another note I still enjoyed the parade and hope i do not fall into that 10%

I don't have a problem with what you did at all.

It's a shame that you didn't permanantly disfigure him.

StainlessStill
02-08-2009, 11:35 PM

You would of did the Nation a favor by permanently ripping him apart, limb by limb. That's what I would of done. Ignorant people with no heart. You did the right thing and left too much of what I would of done on the ground. Unfortunate to experience it, but low-lives like that deserve to be put in their place and he showed his true character by going into the fetal position. Cheers to you, your wife, and your new born on the way.

xFreeWord420x
02-08-2009, 11:56 PM

First off, Congrats on the new Steelers fan.. I have a 9 month girl, and my g/f is pregnant with our second.

Second, Don't apologize. I commend you, because I would have never tried to walk away.. and probably would have got sent to jail for attempted murder lol.. You can mess with me all day, pick on me all day.. I dont have feelings.. but the second you mess with my kids or g/f.. your ass is grass.

xFreeWord420x
02-08-2009, 11:57 PM
I was right there also. I was a little to the left of where they moved the family members to. I did notice one of the younger girls getting agitated but I did not know what it was in response to. It did get kind of crazy with all the people trying to get a spot that came after people who were already there. This one middle aged woman actually tried to push her round body through me (Im 6/2 225 lbs.) while saying she had an emergency. Everyone got a good laugh when I pointed out to her there was an emergency response vehicle directly in front of the Steel workers building. She wound up being stuck in a mass of people I know she saw nothing,(As I mentioned earlier she was a round woman 5x5 build)

Overall we had a good group that looked out for one another. There were enough of us that were of bigger size that policed ourselves. There was one guy who brought his young daughter and we kept a spot for her where she had some room to move around in her own little circle. When every one came up I was closest to the barricade I let her stand in front of me she had better view than everyone. Several players acknowledged her along with Mr. Rooney.

Whenever you get a large crowd and emotions along with maybe the influence of alchohol become a factor in peoples behavior there will be things that a normal well mannered person will find disturbing. I think for the most part it was a good crowd. Trust me I have been witness to alot worse. I also have tickets for the Yankees just imagine the carnage of a loud mouthed fan of the sawx in a crowded Bronx Subway.

I commend you xfreeword and the job your parents did for raising a person who recognizes non classy behavior and has an issue with it. :thumbsup:

You must have been right beside me actually.. I saw Rooney talking to a couple people and kids. We had a couple "wanna be" reports trying to push their way through us also.. The one little lady was like 5'2" and snuck her way past my 6'5" 260lb ass lol.. But after a few fans made them feel like trash for stealing our spots when we stood there for 6 hours... they left.

Sixburgh Baby
02-09-2009, 01:12 AM

Thanks,
Mike

A lot of the people at the parade were just College and High Schools Kids looking for an excuse to act stupid, and they did.

Cordlisberger
02-09-2009, 10:50 AM
First off quick correction on my wife and baby she is 7 months pregnant I hit the wrong key somehow but a big difference, anyhow thanks for the support from everyone here I just thought after it all happened I was concerned some kid out there would see what happened and think thats what happens at thing like this and the last thing I wanted to do was ruin the fun for anyone else... on that note this guy deserved more than what he got I have been contacted by pittsburgh pd and the guy did end up with a broken nose and a lost a tooth and may be pressing charges on me so I may be back in Pitt soon I have contacted my lawyer and he said it self defense as deemed by the cops on site but I may get in trouble for using excessive force, they cop I talked with said he thought it was BS but he had to let me know... I will let all of ya know what happens when I know what happens I am not concerned, I only wish if I knew this was going to happen I would have not walked away with him laying on the ground

xFreeWord420x
02-09-2009, 12:24 PM
First off quick correction on my wife and baby she is 7 months pregnant I hit the wrong key somehow but a big difference, anyhow thanks for the support from everyone here I just thought after it all happened I was concerned some kid out there would see what happened and think thats what happens at thing like this and the last thing I wanted to do was ruin the fun for anyone else... on that note this guy deserved more than what he got I have been contacted by pittsburgh pd and the guy did end up with a broken nose and a lost a tooth and may be pressing charges on me so I may be back in Pitt soon I have contacted my lawyer and he said it self defense as deemed by the cops on site but I may get in trouble for using excessive force, they cop I talked with said he thought it was BS but he had to let me know... I will let all of ya know what happens when I know what happens I am not concerned, I only wish if I knew this was going to happen I would have not walked away with him laying on the ground

You should be alright man. Just tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.. So help you god =p

steelerbackr4life
02-09-2009, 06:59 PM
You must have been right beside me actually.. I saw Rooney talking to a couple people and kids. We had a couple "wanna be" reports trying to push their way through us also.. The one little lady was like 5'2" and snuck her way past my 6'5" 260lb ass lol.. But after a few fans made them feel like trash for stealing our spots when we stood there for 6 hours... they left.

It was cool the way all the people that were standing together bonded. One of my kids had to use the bathroom. I left the other 3 there in the crowd (as I mentioned in my earlier post I have Yankee tickets, they are used to big crowds) I walked her to our room in the Hilton and brought back some heinekens for my new found friends and nestled back to my parade spot.. Again the decent people there outnumbered the A holes.

steelerbackr4life
02-09-2009, 07:01 PM

In this court you are def innocent. Ty for putting that A hole diguised as a real Steeler fan in his place.

shevdog
02-09-2009, 09:14 PM
I was up there too. i didn't see that fight you were talking about. But I did hear the b.s. comment. Fans rushed in the one side street were teh buses were and they asked the fans to move out. Kind of was impossible. Not worth the b.s. comment. Then again at Heinz Field I hear that chant too. Anyhow, was disappoint but din't ruin the day. They so should have never parked those buses there. I did join in the "move the bus" chant, which they eventually did do that.