PDA

View Full Version : Most important qualities for offensive linemen

Steelcitygal87
02-05-2009, 06:21 AM
I just came across this article breaking down all the qualities that an NFL offensive linemen should possess...thought this guy broke it down very well!

As one would expect, not every offensive line coach trumpets the same characteristics when determining the likelihood of success for a given player. The Indianapolis Colts Howard Mudd looks primarily for quickness and arm length because of the way he teaches his offensive linemen to jump set in pass protection. Alex Gibbs, now of the Houston Texans, has had success for years by finding lean athletes with great lateral speed to run his one-cut zone blocking scheme. Others, like the New England Patriots Dante Scarnecchia, emphasize mental and physical toughness, believing those players will come through in the clutch.

Though every offensive lineman in the NFL must possess some level of competency in all of these categories to even get an opportunity in the NFL, the following list represents the most important qualities I look for when evaluating fellow offensive linemen.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ross_tucker/05/22/linemen/

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Nice article by Tucker!!

The other things that I like to see is a guy with a decent amount of flexibility in the knees and hips. Low man wins in football and generating power from your lower legs is important.

I love guys that have developed a good punch and use their hands in both pass and run blocking. Lots of people think you just cross your arms and ram into the guy in front of you, but you really want to hit the defender with the palm of you hands.