PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Legursky to two-year deal

mesaSteeler
02-05-2009, 06:35 AM
Steelers sign Legursky to two-year deal
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x376552837/Steelers-sign-Legursky-to-two-year-deal
February 05, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

ANTHONY HANSHEW

The Herald-Dispatch

Not bad, earning a promotion following a Super Bowl championship celebration.

Following a week's preparation in Tampa, Doug Legursky the practice squad member looked on while his Pittsburgh Steelers dramatically rallied past Arizona for the Super Bowl XLIII trophy. Three days later, the former Marshall University football standout was rewarded with a two-year contract, cementing active roster status.

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed, but Legursky obviously was more than content Wednesday evening.

"It's definitely a good feeling," the 6-foot-1, 323-pound offensive lineman said. "This is a good situation. We've got a lot of guys up for free agency, but hopefully we'll keep most of them."

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Legursky's former Mid-American Conference rival, connected with Santonio Holmes, a former opponent at Ohio State, for the winning touchdown, providing a signature Super Bowl moment. The thrilling victory capped Legursky's rookie season featuring two early releases before earning a secure practice squad spot.

"It was an awesome, awesome experience," said Legursky, a four-year Thundering Herd starter from 2003-07. "We had a great week of preparation. There was a lot of commitment and focus but we wanted to have a good time as well as prepare for the game.

"And then to have the great game that it was with the atmosphere and great plays all over the place. It was fun to watch everyone's hard work come together to win a Super Bowl."

Following the equivalent of a college redshirt season in the pros, Legursky now turns attention to producing on game days. He's lined up at center and guard and likely will serve dual duties again this season. Bottom line, the Beckley native is more than ready for NFL playing time.

"I'm just going to go in with the same mindset to get better and show that I'm capable of being a good player in any way they need me," Legursky said. "This season was kind of tough. I got a job yes, but I want to contribute as well as I can.

"I'm definitely so glad that we got that victory. It's a great feeling and I hope to have that feeling as a player some day."

1st&Goal
02-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Hmmmmm, a whopper of an O lineman. Sounds good. I hope this guy works out. Imagine the damage Ben could do with more time in the pocket !

drizze99
02-05-2009, 08:20 AM
One thing I always wondered....

Do practice squad players get SB rings?

TailgateMel
02-05-2009, 08:33 AM
I read this about whom the colts gave their rings to when they won it a couple of years ago:

The team did not release a list of ring recipients, but all 53 players who were on the active roster for the Super Bowl, along with the eight-man practice squad and players on the injured reserve list, received the deluxe, "first-tier" ring. It's priced at approximately $5,000, the maximum allowed by the NFL for Super Bowl rings. Top executives and other team officials also received that ring.

Some employees were given a second-tier ring, a scaled-down version of the original priced between $1,500 and $2,000, while others received a third-tier ring that, according to Irsay, "is more like a class ring."

All were made by Herff Jones, a local jeweler.

CargoJon
02-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Believe the Colts also gave one to Edgrerrin James, even though he'd left the year before...

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Legursky must be impressing in practice. He honestly looked terrible as a 3rd stringer in the preseason......but is a workout warrior and incredibly strong.

If they are liking him, it might mean the Steelers think they are OK at center with Hartwig, Legursky and Stapleton all able to play there.

I bet he came pretty cheap for a 2 year guy anyways. Probably not a big deal if he gets cut in training camp.

SamUK
02-05-2009, 10:28 AM
So... is this the first step for damage limitations if they expect not to sign O line players in the summer... or the first sign of building blocks...

OneForTheToe
02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
He must be impressing on the P.S. Hartwig will be starting next season with maybe a draft pick to groom. Also, while I thought Stapleton played pretty good at guard, his play convinced me that he will not be are starting center short of being a an emergency back-up. He played pretty well in the playoff, but I don't think he has the strength/power to be a starting AFC center. Just look across the line at the huge DTs in San Diego, Baltimore ....... for evidence. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so.

tony hipchest
02-05-2009, 10:42 AM
i think were gearing up to have a very inexpensive offensive line (we have to).

maybe all but 1-2 of cowhers/grimms guys will be purged and tomlin starts from scratch.

woodley, harrison, clark, heath, santonio, mcfadden, washington are all more important than most of the cowher o-line leftovers.

KeiselPower99
02-05-2009, 10:48 AM
I read this last night and it gives me hope that Legursky may be groomed to replace Hartwig in a few years. Stapleton had decent moments but looked nothing more then a great backup.

devilsdancefloor
02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
can he play LG are we getting ready to wave buh bye to kemo?

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2009, 12:04 PM
can he play LG are we getting ready to wave buh bye to kemo?

I kind of like Kemo, think he did an alright job filling in for the All Pro that left us last year. It was the guys first year starting. I think we should keep him.

KeiselPower99
02-05-2009, 12:15 PM
They are gonna offer him a deal but its not expected to be anything huge.

OneForTheToe
02-05-2009, 01:31 PM
I could see a completely different left side to the line. Hartwig will start at center unless something completely unseen happens. I think either Stapelton or Simmons start at RG. Simmons is a bit stronger and more polished, but Stapelton isn't that far behind and could get better. Plus, Darnell is much cheaper, which isn't completely irrelevant. Most of us seem to think that Willie would be a better guard than tackle. As a matter of fact, the only people who don't seem to think that are the Steelers. So, I'm going to assume that Willie will be starting at Rt next season. Of course, if Tony Hills steps up that could change their opinion.

So, with the center to right side relatively set, I think the Steelers are prepared to replace the whole left side if necessary. I don't think they will over pay for Kemo, Max or Marvel. Just listening to comments, I don't think Marvel or Max are going to be giving any discount, so I think they could both be gone. The Steelers will probably sign Essex as some insurance and look for a medium range FA that they can sign to a multi-year deal (2 to 3 years out [which is the problem Max probably wants too big of a multi-year contract 4-5 years and Marvel is too big a risk] ).

I have no feel for Kemo. He is a good enough run blocker to make an offer to sign . However, guard is the one position on the o'line that you can draft a rookie and have him start very quickly (see Faneca and Stai). Therefore, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go either.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Stapleton had decent moments but looked nothing more then a great backup.

I totally agree. I said this back at midseason and was getting bashed because most thought Stapleton was gonna be the next great Steeler guard. He is a good guy to have on the team and comes cheap.....but we can get a better starting guard in the draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Hey, I just thought about something. Wasnt Legursky training to be a long snapper too???

What a great option to have if he can indeed be a good long snapper. He could be active on gameday replacing Warren and actually be a functional backup interior lineman. Just a thought.

OneForTheToe
02-23-2009, 05:59 PM
So, with the center to right side relatively set, I think the Steelers are prepared to replace the whole left side if necessary. I don't think they will over pay for Kemo, Max or Marvel. Just listening to comments, I don't think Marvel or Max are going to be giving any discount, so I think they could both be gone. The Steelers will probably sign Essex as some insurance and look for a medium range FA that they can sign to a multi-year deal (2 to 3 years out [which is the problem Max probably wants too big of a multi-year contract 4-5 years and Marvel is too big a risk] ).

Like I said ....:flap:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Like I said ....:flap:

:rofl: You were right, 2 out of 3 aint bad.

Still remains to be seen if they let Kemo go(I think they will), Smith shold be gone to Oakland, but they did overpay for Max.

Steelman16
02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Hey, any lineman is better than no lineman at all...oh wait... :chuckle:

KeiselPower99
02-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Go Legursky!!!!!!