PDA

View Full Version : Backup QB for next season

Fordy
02-05-2009, 11:04 AM
Leftwich is as good as gone unfortunately. Is Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon the answer or do we need to go find a new backup for next season?

SamUK
02-05-2009, 11:08 AM
I would stick with what we have got personally. Sort out the needs we have, and maybe if there is spare room look for someone, but only as a very last thing to consider!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Batch and Dixon are the guys.

FacemeIke
02-05-2009, 11:16 AM
No need to look. Batch and Dixon are both capable number 2s. Although I did hear talk throughout the season of Batch retiring after the season.

drizze99
02-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Here is what I think happens:

Batch retires and becomes some sort of coach for the Steelers

Lefty leaves for a starting gig with a different NFL team

Dixon is the new #2

We draft a QB in the later rounds this year

KeiselPower99
02-05-2009, 11:44 AM
If Batch retires and Byron leave I see them signing a guy to compete to be number 2. Dixon needs to earn the job over a proven guy not some rookie.

jev7452
02-05-2009, 11:49 AM
i wish we could just keep lefty but he deserves a starting position somewhere again

revefsreleets
02-05-2009, 11:51 AM
TB and Minnesota will come knocking on his door, but, man, I'd LOVE to have Lefty backing up Ben. He's also become quite the mentor to Dixon

http://blog.oregonlive.com/nfl/2009/01/pittsburgh_steelers_quarterbac.html

So it'd be sweet to have him stay and tutor DD for another season. But there's little chance, even at 2 mil a year, that he stays.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-05-2009, 11:54 AM
You think Batch is capable? After not doing anything for a year? He is one or 2 hits away from being out again. Might I reference are swiss Cheeese line in front of him?

Also, you think Dixon can step in? Equally drafting a QB in the late round is not the answer.
If we don't fix the OLine we need someone capable as a 2, and I don't think those options are good ones.
With that said, I'm not sure Leftwich is going any place yet, I think some are overvaluing him and he is not getting anything lucrative any place else. He is a back up as his position dictates regardless of feelings.

revefsreleets
02-05-2009, 12:00 PM
You think Batch is capable? After not doing anything for a year? He is one or 2 hits away from being out again. Might I reference are swiss Cheeese line in front of him?

Also, you think Dixon can step in? Equally drafting a QB in the late round is not the answer.
If we don't fix the OLine we need someone capable as a 2, and I don't think those options are good ones.
With that said, I'm not sure Leftwich is going any place yet, I think some are overvaluing him and he is not getting anything lucrative any place else. He is a back up as his position dictates regardless of feelings.

TB and Minnesota will definitely come calling, and why not? He looked good in the couple games he played. Batch, by the way, is 100% healthy and has stayed with the team throughout the year. It'll be Ben, Batch and Dixon next year.

SamUK
02-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Minnesota desperately need a QB, i can see Left being tempted by that

kittenfantastico76
02-05-2009, 12:05 PM
I hate to see Left head out - I was really impressed by him and it made me feel a little better (about our chances) each time Ben got hit a bit too hard, etc. It's nice to have real faith in a back-up player especially in that position! *keeps fingers crossed he'll stay*

stlrtruck
02-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Didn't Lefty mention the week before the Super Bowl that he likes Pittsburgh and he may decide to stay?

Let's not count him gone until he goes. I think we may find ourselves another proven starter who likes what he's got in Pittsburgh!

scsteeler
02-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Didn't Lefty mention the week before the Super Bowl that he likes Pittsburgh and he may decide to stay?

Let's not count him gone until he goes. I think we may find ourselves another proven starter who likes what he's got in Pittsburgh!

Byron has plans of staying if the Steelers are willing to sign him. After Being in Pittsburgh he likes it here and is content for now to be the backup. Dixon will be competing for the backup position but if Bryron is resigned he wil be the the 3rd QB again.

Batch I really like this guy but he may decide to retire and call it quits. I would love to see him in some type of coaching role with the Steelers.

AllD
02-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Leftwich could settle for another one-year contract and refine his play just a little more. Chances are the money will be there. Somebody may throw Powerball money at him, but he might stay at a chance for a legitimate opportunity to repeat.

Rick5895
02-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Dixon will be a very capable back up, not to mention he will add diversity to the Offence.

Hawkeye
02-07-2009, 12:59 PM
we need to keep Leftwich, he may be the most important off season move to keep him in Pittsburgh. In this day and age of NFL you need some one who can step in and keep the offense moving in the right direction.

With Ben being the most sacked QB the chances of substained injury are greater and when he came in this season he gave a boost showing that he can make TD drives.

This man may save our season if we are put into a tight position because honestly I dont think Batch or Dixon could ever step in.

KEEP LEFTWICH IN PITTSBURGH

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0811/nfl.week9.surprise.performers/images/byron-leftwich.jpg

Curtain_of_Steel
02-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Can't over pay for a presumed position that won't play much.
We don't exactly blow out a lot of teams to get him playing time, and unless the oline sucks as bad as it did ths past year. Byron won't be playing much, therefore he can't refine anything.
Either someone wants him or not. If not, he will work well for us, and if someone big goes down he could be out there as bait.

lilyoder6
02-07-2009, 02:43 PM
i think it would be nice for lefty to re-sign with us... but i am confident enough to say that i feel good that dixon will be the back up next yr

Steelersfanforlife
02-07-2009, 02:48 PM
go with Dennis Dixon

steeltheone
02-07-2009, 05:15 PM
How can you possibly feel at ease with a guy thats never played a meaningfull NFL down. Lefty wants to start period. Can't blame him. Batch is to fragile. Need another Vet to compete.

Hawkeye
02-07-2009, 05:20 PM
agree if we have to depend on either Batch or Dixon out season is over, to me that's why we need Lefty to want to stay

rich4eagle
02-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Why wouldn't Batch opt to be a practice team QB rather than retire and then can activated as needed. He is not interested in playing for anyone else?

SunshineMan21
02-07-2009, 06:28 PM
I think Lefty is most likely gone . . . but honestly Batch has always been a more than capable backup and Dixon can't get buried forever.

lilyoder6
02-07-2009, 06:33 PM
dixon played good during the pre-season..

i mean all he has 2 do is manage the game right?? thats what our current qb does.. lol

jasonhightower
02-07-2009, 08:08 PM
I don't see Batch ending his career like he did this year. He'll be back, Dixon #3 and there is no way Leftwich stays. He has tried so hard to get his career back he'll go steal a job on a needy team and probably do pretty decent. Assuming he's got something to work with.

NEPAsteeler
02-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Just curious... who are the other free agent QBs besides Batch, Lefty, and Cassel?

lilyoder6
02-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Kurt Warner, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
Kerry Collins, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Jeff Garcia, UFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Rex Grossman, UFA, Chicago Bears
Kyle Boller, UFA, Baltimore Ravens
David Carr, UFA, N.Y. Giants
Ryan Fitzpatrick, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
J.P. Losman, UFA, Buffalo Bills
Luke McCown, UFA, Tampa Bay Bucs
Dan Orlovsky, UFA, Detroit
J.T. O'Sullivan San Francisco 49ers
Patrick Ramsey, UFA, Denver Broncos

xFreeWord420x
02-07-2009, 09:23 PM
we need to keep Leftwich, he may be the most important off season move to keep him in Pittsburgh. In this day and age of NFL you need some one who can step in and keep the offense moving in the right direction.

With Ben being the most sacked QB the chances of substained injury are greater and when he came in this season he gave a boost showing that he can make TD drives.

This man may save our season if we are put into a tight position because honestly I dont think Batch or Dixon could ever step in.

KEEP LEFTWICH IN PITTSBURGH

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0811/nfl.week9.surprise.performers/images/byron-leftwich.jpg

Batch's first real injury and now all of a sudden, he is fragile? I feel Batch is the best back up in the league aside from Leftwich. He is a smart, competent QB. All of you saying Batch couldn't step in are acting like this is his first year with the Steelers. Batch has stepped in before, and showed a lot of promise doing it! I feel almost as safe with Batch as I would Leftwich.

NEPAsteeler
02-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Kurt Warner, UFA, Arizona Cardinals
Kerry Collins, UFA, Tennessee Titans
Jeff Garcia, UFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Rex Grossman, UFA, Chicago Bears
Kyle Boller, UFA, Baltimore Ravens
David Carr, UFA, N.Y. Giants
Ryan Fitzpatrick, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
J.P. Losman, UFA, Buffalo Bills
Luke McCown, UFA, Tampa Bay Bucs
Dan Orlovsky, UFA, Detroit
J.T. O'Sullivan San Francisco 49ers
Patrick Ramsey, UFA, Denver Broncos

Thanks! I wasn't sure who was out there.

tony hipchest
02-07-2009, 10:27 PM
somewhere d. culpepper is thinking "damn, i coulda won a ring AND improved my stock".

instead he is 0-16. :chuckle:

steelwall
02-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Leftwich is more physically gifted, but Batch has proven himself. I'm with staying with Batch and Dixon. Leftwich is a good player, no doubt.....

I will admit, I never was a fan of Leftwich though.

In either event we would have a solid back up.

lilyoder6
02-07-2009, 10:44 PM
poor culpepper... he rly wanted 2 fight for a starting pos.. and he got 1.. lol

NV STEELERS 723
02-07-2009, 10:52 PM
I don't like Dixon...reminds me too much of Kordel...Batch is ok., but he's no Ben...we should look in the draft , or maybe other teams 2nd stringers that would fit our style of play.

xFreeWord420x
02-08-2009, 12:14 AM
I don't like Dixon...reminds me too much of Kordel...Batch is ok., but he's no Ben...we should look in the draft , or maybe other teams 2nd stringers that would fit our style of play.

Kordell is on my shit list.. I waited like 2 hours to get his autograph, and he was the only steeler that didnt come out of St. Vincents.

steelwall
02-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Kordell is on my shit list.. .

I think he is on all of our shit lists. IMO one of BC's biggest mistakes.

xFreeWord420x
02-08-2009, 12:57 AM
I think he is on all of our shit lists. IMO one of BC's biggest mistakes.

It wasn't a mistake to grab him up, it was a mistake to start him at QB. Slash ftw!

Galax Steeler
02-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Why wouldn't Leftwich want to stay in pittsburgh he is on a really good team that got him a superbowl ring if he likes the burgh then there is no reason why he wouldn't settle to be a no.2 behind big Ben.

GBMelBlount
02-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Why wouldn't Leftwich want to stay in pittsburgh he is on a really good team that got him a superbowl ring if he likes the burgh then there is no reason why he wouldn't settle to be a no.2 behind big Ben.

Although I hope we keep Lefty, if I was an NFL QB with even just one competitive testacle, I would want to be STARTING and playing, period.

Dixon played well in the preseason last year imo and Batch, though older, is capable as well. I would stick with what we have (hopefully including Lefty) and only pick someone up if Ben goes down and the backups aren't performing. Call me a homer, but hopefully Ben endures a few hundred more sacks, grabs a few more rings, and this is simply an enjoyable thread and we won't have to go down this road for a long time....

HometownGal
02-08-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm just not comfortable with Batch behind center and I don't know if Dixon is ready yet to step into that #2 slot. Maybe the Steelers can acquire a FA QB if Lefty decides to take the highway out of Pittsburgh for the chance at a starting position.

KeiselPower99
02-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Maybe we can sign Charlie Frye and have him revive his career. Wouldnt that beat all sign with the team that technically ruined your career.

CargoJon
02-08-2009, 12:21 PM
I got a great idea - let's be like the Patriots and franchise Leftwich. :coffee:

markymarc
02-09-2009, 07:21 AM
I believe Dixon will be ready to be the #2 QB in 2009. While I would love to bring back Lefty he is going to be picked up by someone to compete for their starting QB spot. Honestly I would like to see Batch coach on this team and bring someone else in to compete in training camp.

stillers4me
02-09-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm really, really hoping Lefty stays with us at least one more year. That gives them time to further develop Dixon and have a good caliber backup for Ben. The way Ben plays, we are going to need him. I love and appreciate what Charlie has brought to us.......and the community of Pittsburgh. But I think his bet backup days are over.

Regardless of how it plays out, I thank Byron for the 2 wins he brought us! Plus he played a huge role in practicing with the defense. Enjoy your ring, Byron.....you earned it!

Steelcitygal87
02-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm really, really hoping Lefty stays with us at least one more year. That gives them time to further develop Dixon and have a good caliber backup for Ben. The way Ben plays, we are going to need him. I love and appreciate what Charlie has brought to us.......and the community of Pittsburgh. But I think his bet backup days are over.

Regardless of how it plays out, I thank Byron for the 2 wins he brought us! Plus he played a huge role in practicing with the defense. Enjoy your ring, Byron.....you earned it!

While I LOVE Bryon.. no question he is such a great player( sure gives me peace of mind to know we have someone so competent & ready to take over...just in case). In all fairness to him though, he deserves to be a starter somewhere. He is too talented and still has too much left in him to be just a back-up. There are quite a few teams where he would fit very nicely and really help their chances. I would hate to see him go...but I also want to see him get a chance to lead a team and show that he still can be very effective,and get the job done, as a starter.

steelerNATION
02-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Leftwich is a good quarterback hes just been having trouble finding his place. He did amazing things and Marshall and given the right team and squad I think he could be a great NFL qb as well

HometownGal
02-14-2009, 10:32 AM
How can you possibly feel at ease with a guy thats never played a meaningfull NFL down. Lefty wants to start period. Can't blame him. Batch is to fragile. Need another Vet to compete.

I agree, but who?

Love Charlie to pieces, but my stomach has a melt down every time he has to come into a game. If Lefty leaves for greener pastures, which I wouldn't blame him if he does, and we can't sign a decent vet backup, keep Charlie around for one more season and pray to God that Ben doesn't go down. Dixon is a work in progress and we'll see how far he's progressed at TC.

lilyoder6
02-14-2009, 10:38 AM
we could always call upon.... tommy maddox.... lol

steelymcmatt
02-14-2009, 10:52 AM
I got a great idea - let's be like the Patriots and franchise Leftwich. :coffee:

Only THE GREATEST FRANCHISE IN THE WORLD could do something like that:rofl:

Seriously, I don't see us using the franchise tag, but couldn't we use one of the transition tags and at least get something from Minnesota or whoever signs him?

HometownGal
02-14-2009, 11:04 AM
we could always call upon.... tommy maddox.... lol

Oh I see. One of the "what have you done for me lately" Maddox bashers. :rolleyes: Yes - Maddox had but 1 outstanding season, but it's still one better season than Batch ever had. :flap:

TampaSteelerFan
02-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Somebody get Bubby Brister on the phone, quick