PDA

View Full Version : Nate Washington and Free Agency

43SteelCurtainRevolution
02-05-2009, 12:15 PM
I just read that Nate Washington is coming up on free agency. It seemed that Washington was one of Ben's favorite deep threats, and came into his own as a third wideout.

So my question: do we let Nate go, or do we pay him???

What do you guys think?

drizze99
02-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Sweeeeeed should be ready next year for #3 and I don't think they will pay Nate what he wants.

SamUK
02-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Its always about the $$$$ with too many players.

Lets face it, most the top teams do not have a huge chunk of money in the cap. Do i start and play in Pitt, where the fans love me and could win a second ring, for less money.

Or go to somewhere lower down who will be crap for a few years, get lots of $$ and catches and maybe one day get a ring.

They always say the players you want are the ones that would play for your team for nothing...we shall see what sort of player he turns out to be!

Dino 6 Rings
02-05-2009, 12:21 PM
I really don't think Nate is going to get a Randel El type payday.

I noticed the difference between him and Ward and Holmes and Fitz during the Super Bowl.

Nate does Not Attack the Ball at its highest point. That deep pass that was Tipped away at the 2, if he attacks that pass, he may actually catch it. The Deep ball on the sidelines right before the 2 minute warning, he needed to jump and attack the ball.

Nate tends to try to allow the ball to fall into his hands, or into his stomach. He's made some great catches, but he isn't a clutch reciever and doesn't have the greatest hands. I don't know if Sweed is the answer, I'm leary of kids from Texas, they lack focus in my opinion (pot heads I think) but I don't think Nate is the kind of guy we put too much money into either.

steelreserve
02-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Washington is not worth spending any real money on. He's had four years to make a name for, and still all we're talking about is "potential." He makes some flashy plays here and there, but so does any other NFL-caliber wide receiver.

Basically, Washington is a #3 receiver who is easily replaced, and we may even have his replacement on the roster already. If he starts asking for #2 or #1 money, you've got to be kidding me. We'd be better off letting him walk.

rbryan
02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
If another team wants to overpay for Nate Washington I won't lose much sleep over it.

Preacher
02-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I say let him walk and bring in Fitzgerald to take over Ward's spot-- let Ward move to the third receiver and extend his career for another 3-5 years.

Of course, I am dreaming.

PisnNapalm
02-05-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm not sold yet on Nate as a starter. He's shown us some skills, but he's also had some big drops.

I know that the Rooneys will not overpay him. If they let him go then I'm ok with it.

realdeal
02-05-2009, 01:15 PM
I saw footage of Nate right after Holmes' catch in the endzone and he was wearing a sling. He also didn't look excited that we won the Superbowl. Anyone also catch this?

LVSteelersfan
02-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Nate is not ever going to be good enough to be our #2 or take over for Hines when he leaves. I think we need to keep looking at WR in the draft and let Nate walk. Sweed may or may not pan out. Only time will tell but Washington is not worth big bucks. We need to concentrate on Kemoeatu and Starks because we don't want to have to totally rebuild the Oline from scratch. Marvel Smith is as good as done.

Milkman
02-05-2009, 01:36 PM
I saw footage of Nate right after Holmes' catch in the endzone and he was wearing a sling. He also didn't look excited that we won the Superbowl. Anyone also catch this?

I noticed him also...was his injury hurting "that much" to not enjoy the win?

jjpro11
02-05-2009, 02:02 PM
you guys are probably being a bit too critical of him not being happy to win the super bowl.. i highly doubt that was the case.

back to the topic though, i think he is probably gone. sweed has shown the ability to get open, he just hasnt been able to hold on to the damn ball for whatever reasons. i think we need to save our money and put it into extending holmes, miller and harrison since their contracts are expiring within the next couple years.

drizze99
02-05-2009, 02:05 PM
I really don't think Nate is going to get a Randel El type payday.

I noticed the difference between him and Ward and Holmes and Fitz during the Super Bowl.

Nate does Not Attack the Ball at its highest point. That deep pass that was Tipped away at the 2, if he attacks that pass, he may actually catch it. The Deep ball on the sidelines right before the 2 minute warning, he needed to jump and attack the ball.

Nate tends to try to allow the ball to fall into his hands, or into his stomach. He's made some great catches, but he isn't a clutch reciever and doesn't have the greatest hands. I don't know if Sweed is the answer, I'm leary of kids from Texas, they lack focus in my opinion (pot heads I think) but I don't think Nate is the kind of guy we put too much money into either.

BINGO! This is the reason why I don't care if we get him back or not.

Steeldude
02-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Nate is not ever going to be good enough to be our #2 or take over for Hines when he leaves

i remember the same thing being said about harrison taking over for porter.

Steelersfanforlife
02-05-2009, 03:16 PM
i think they should get rid of Washington and let Sweed prove that he can be a good WR

FacemeIke
02-05-2009, 04:03 PM
I completely disagree on most people views of Washington. I think he walks not becuase of the money but becuase he deserves to be a #2 somewhere. With that he's going to get #2 receiver money, and we can't afford to give him that. Draft a WR and put Sweed on a very short leash. I don't think he's our answer at #3 but if he can earn it in training camp then he deserves the spot.

Just my opinion but I think Nate is a quality wide out.

Jaquila
02-05-2009, 04:14 PM
I will rather see him go and make sure that Bryant McFadden stays

lilyoder6
02-05-2009, 04:26 PM
if we can keep him on the team with a reasonable salary i am fine with it.. he is better than most number 3 wr's and all... but if a team comes in and flashes the check-book.. then i don't see him being that improtant 2 re-sign...

nate is good for us.. but there is a cap on his talent for us

jjpro11
02-05-2009, 04:37 PM
at least he didnt have a big super bowl.. thats kind of what got randle el his oversized pay check.

steelreserve
02-05-2009, 04:51 PM
at least he didnt have a big super bowl.. thats kind of what got randle el his oversized pay check.

Yeah, but that also won us the Super Bowl. Or at least sealed it. In exchange for losing a slightly-above-average WR, that trade's a no-brainer.

jjpro11
02-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Yeah, but that also won us the Super Bowl. Or at least sealed it. In exchange for losing a slightly-above-average WR, that trade's a no-brainer.

i know.. thats why washington may come cheaper than expected if we look to resign him.

Fire Haley
02-05-2009, 07:01 PM
If Nate wants to take a hometown discount after we get T.J. ,I have no problem with that.

BehindSteelCurtain
02-05-2009, 07:05 PM
I'd like to have him back but if we don't it's nothing I'm going to complain about.

VTsteel
02-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I say keep him

The Duke
02-05-2009, 07:54 PM
I'd like it if the steelers give him a fair contract. But if some team overpays for him I won't miss him at all

Sweed will have a bigger role on the offense next year regardless if nate stays

TasmanianTroy271
02-05-2009, 09:48 PM
I've been a fan of Nate ever since we got him. I think we should re-sign him. He went to Tiffin, an obviously small school, and he's in his 4th year. We all know the 3rd year WR theory, and in his 4th year, I think Nate made huge strides. I see people complaining when we use the word "potential" around Nate, but I hear the same word being used to describe Limas. The big difference is that Nate has proven he can be a #3 WR in this league. Some people need to realize that just because Sweed was a projected 1st rounder and we got him in the second doesn't mean he'll be successful. Now, believe me, I hope Sweed turns out to be great, and I understand that we should let Nate walk if he gets a ridiculous contract. But for those who say we should let Nate walk because Limas is gonna be great, think about this; You guys yelled at Nate's mistakes for the past 4 years. Unless you're willing to put up with Limas making the same mistakes as the #3 reciever, don't write Nate off. Cause if you do, you're just going off "potential", too.

HometownGal
02-06-2009, 08:59 AM
I love Nate, but I'm with the consensus here - he's not proven himself worthy of a big payday at this point and if he wants the huge check, he's going to have to find it elsewhere.

SteelerNez
02-06-2009, 09:52 AM
Nate seems like hes one of those guys who just keeps waiting to break out and we see flashes of what he can be as a deep threat but hes yet to really take control of that number 2 spot.

LukesDad88
02-06-2009, 09:55 AM
i think they should get rid of Washington and let Sweed prove that he can be a good WR

Sweed proving himself has nothing to do with letting Nate go. Sweed needs to prove himself whether there's somebody else in that spot or not. Nate's proved himself. Good speed, and a great actor, he's suckered more than ond good corner in with some of his moves. I do agree with the point that he doesn't attack the ball well enough. At the same time, if Ben could put just a little more oomph on some of his deep ball, or time his throws that he get's the bomb off a little bit earlier, than Nate could have had a huge season for us. How many deep passes have we seen Holmes and Washington have to try to come back for?

steelpride12
02-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Washington will not get the pay that Randel El got from the Redskins. So it would be of no surprise if he ended up staying with the Steelers for a long term deal. Sweed really hasd not proved himself yet to become reciever #3 and if he has a big year and we sign washington to a one year deal possible could see Nate leaving after next season not this one.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Bye Nate, been a good 4 years.

Sorry, but we need the $$ for contracts to Harrison, Woodley, McFadden, Miller, Clark.

PGH_Futbol
02-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Nate is perfect for Dennis Dixon to throw to on the reserve squad... that's where he's a #1 receiver.

I like Nate's work ethic, and he did drop more passes in 07 than 08. If he wants to stay, he'll take the money offered. Can we replace him? Sure. Everyone's replaceable.

drew102e
02-06-2009, 02:58 PM
i want him to stay, but sweed is a 2nd rounder and if he would use the jugs machine this offseason might be worth the pick, so do you pay decent money to keep nate as a number 4 WR