PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' plan for Holmes comes together

mesaSteeler
02-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Steelers' plan for Holmes comes together
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Columns/2008/wilkening2330.htm
By Mike Wilkening (mwilkening@pfwmedia.com)
Feb. 5, 2009

There is much to take away from Super Bowl XLIII, but I keep coming back to one point that jingle-jangles in my head like a set of keys trapped in the lining of a winter coat:

When the Steelers trade up for a player in the first round of the draft, you better pay attention.

The Steelers moved up from No. 27 to No. 16 in 2003 to select USC SS Troy Polamalu, who has been a key part of two Super Bowl-winning teams and has a chance to go down as one of the greatest to ever play the position.

Three drafts later, they traded up from No. 32 to No. 25 to select Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes, who is entering the prime of his career as the reigning Super Bowl MVP.

They will select 32nd again this April, one of the few disadvantages of being a Super Bowl champion, not that the Steelers mind. Also, drafting in the second half of Round One has not held back director of football operations of Kevin Colbert in his previous nine drafts at the helm of the Pittsburgh personnel department.

In 2001, the Steelers traded down from No. 16 to 19 for Texas NT Casey Hampton, and all he has done is establish himself as one of the best at his position. The next year, Colbert drafted OG Kendall Simmons 30th overall, and he has been a serviceable starter. In ’05, the Steelers snagged Virginia TE Heath Miller with the No. 30 pick — a steal by any metric. Last year, the Steelers drafted athletic Illinois RB Rashard Mendenhall 23rd overall. Although his rookie season was cut short by injury, Mendenhall flashed considerable talent.

For that reason, the Steelers will be patient with him, just as they were with Polamalu, who wasn’t a starter as a rookie but rose to stardom in his second season.

They were patient with Holmes, too, and it paid off in Super Bowl XLIII, when he beat the Cardinals’ secondary time and again and was Ben Roethlisberger’s go-to target on Pittsburgh’s final scoring drive. Holmes’ final catch — a six-yard, toe-tapping snag in the right corner of the endzone — forever will be a part of Super Bowl lore.

For most of his first three seasons in Pittsburgh, Holmes mixed moments of brilliance with moments that underscored how far he had left to develop. The latter point was driven home in October, when he was cited for marijuana possession and deactivated for a game. He was talented, but no one was confusing him with Hines Ward when it came to his dependability.

Today, of course, the focus is on Holmes’ bright future, not whether he ever will fulfull his vast potential. Some might say that Holmes has been a different player since hauling in a four-yard TD pass at Baltimore in Week 15 with Ravens FS Ed Reed on his back and the football barely, as it was ultimately judged, over the goal line. Ever since, Holmes has been a difference maker.

We usually can’t pinpoint exactly when someone has changed, but we generally know when we see it. Actions, not words, are most illustrative. In the final minutes of Super Bowl XLIII, Santonio Holmes carried himself like Hines Ward’s worthy successor. He looked every bit like the player Colbert thought he was staking his draft on three years ago.

revefsreleets
02-06-2009, 01:04 PM
About 3/4's of the people here HATED the Santo pick.

NJarhead
02-06-2009, 01:07 PM

Didn't hate it, just didn't agree with it at that time. I've (gladly) eaten my crow since then. :chuckle:
....it was tastier than the crow I ate for believing in Kordell Stewart. :laughing:

Fire Haley
02-06-2009, 01:33 PM
I picked Holmes.

Bow down

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/images/200902/20090204lf_steelers08_330.jpg

fansince'76
02-06-2009, 01:39 PM
They will select 32nd again this April, one of the few disadvantages of being a Super Bowl champion, not that the Steelers mind.

In my mind, there isn't much of an advantage in picking somewhere in the mid-twenties (like we usually do anyway) over picking 32nd in the 1st round. I'd rather pick 32nd, due to the reason why a team picks 32nd.

revefsreleets
02-06-2009, 02:03 PM
I picked Holmes.

Bow down

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/images/200902/20090204lf_steelers08_330.jpg

We are believers in the power of the Buckeyes, though. There are MANY doubters...

Fire Haley
02-06-2009, 02:07 PM
I was in my brothers house in Columbus on draftday when we picked Holmes.

I said "There's our SB ticket, right there!"

I was right and I'll never let the haters forget it.

revefsreleets
02-06-2009, 02:16 PM
I remember being in the parking lot of Heinz tailgating at the Steeler Nation party draft day 2004 and being incredulous at the MANY Steelers fans booing the Roethlisberger pick.

That was MY chance to say "There's our Super Bowl caliber QB!".

NJarhead
02-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I picked Holmes.

Bow down

Actually, that looks like McFadden in the photo.

NJarhead
02-06-2009, 04:21 PM
I remember being in the parking lot of Heinz tailgating at the Steeler Nation party draft day 2004 and being incredulous at the MANY Steelers fans booing the Roethlisberger pick.

That was MY chance to say "There's our Super Bowl caliber QB!".

The Ben pick I loved! I didn't hate the Holmes pick, it was just unexpected. I thought we had other needs at the time. Never argued his talent though.

Edman
02-06-2009, 11:17 PM
2003: Troy Polamalu. Elite Playmaking Safety.

2004: Ben Roethlisberger. 2-time super bowl winning quarterback winningest QB in the past five years.

2005: Heath Miller. Reliable Target and one of the upper-tier TE's in the game.

2006: Santonio Holmes. Super Bowl MVP. Lit it up in the 2008 playoffs. Overshadowed by only Larry Fitzgerald's performance.

2007: Lawrence Timmons. Came into his own in 2008, showcased his speed on a number one Defense.

Jury still out on Mendenhall. He did look good in his limited time, though. I don't know if the Steelers are good, or just lucky to strike keep striking gold in the 1st round. I think it's both.

xFreeWord420x
02-07-2009, 12:16 AM
We are believers in the power of the Buckeyes, though. There are MANY doubters...

Santo is about the only Big Zero Suckeye that has done anything worth while in the NFL.

Go Linebacker U! Nittany Lions!

xFreeWord420x
02-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Oh, and Gonzales... Love him!

Galax Steeler
02-07-2009, 07:49 AM
We really draft well seems like every year we find a gem in the draft and hopefully it will continue this year.

revefsreleets
02-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Santo is about the only Big Zero Suckeye that has done anything worth while in the NFL.

Go Linebacker U! Nittany Lions!

Antoine Winfield
Chris Gamble
Nick Mangold
Anthony Gonzalez
Mike Vrabel
Mike Nugent
Mike Jenkins
Na'il Diggs
AJ Hawk
Will Smith
Nate Clements

That's just off the top of my head.

Hate much?

markymarc
02-09-2009, 02:09 PM
2003: Troy Polamalu. Elite Playmaking Safety.

2004: Ben Roethlisberger. 2-time super bowl winning quarterback winningest QB in the past five years.

2005: Heath Miller. Reliable Target and one of the upper-tier TE's in the game.

2006: Santonio Holmes. Super Bowl MVP. Lit it up in the 2008 playoffs. Overshadowed by only Larry Fitzgerald's performance.

2007: Lawrence Timmons. Came into his own in 2008, showcased his speed on a number one Defense.

Jury still out on Mendenhall. He did look good in his limited time, though. I don't know if the Steelers are good, or just lucky to strike keep striking gold in the 1st round. I think it's both.

That's quite a list of very good football players drafted by us in the first round. Mendenhall will show in 2009 that we usually hit gold in the first round. I fully expect Mendenhall to put up good numbers and showcase his first round ability.

LukesDad88
02-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Listen, I'm glad the guy's stepped it up this post season; however, I'm not ready to appoint him the second coming of Swanny, yet. Let's see what he does this next season. Frankly, the guy's underperformed to date. He was the number one receiver taken in that draft filled with a bunch of guys that aren't in the league anymore. That was one bad draft for WR.

alittlejazzbird
02-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Taking a look back at the Steelers' first round draft picks from 1980 through and including Mendenhall, you can see how their year-to-year consistency has improved since Kevin Colbert came along in 2000. That man is some kind of talent evaluator.

1980: Mark Malone, QB, Arizona St.
1981: Keith Gary, DE, Oklahoma
1982: Walter Abercrombie, RB, Baylor
1983: Gabriel Rivera, DT, Texas Tech
1984: Louis Lipps, WR, Southern Miss
1985: Darryl Sims, DE, Wisconsin
1986: John Rienstra, G, Temple
1987: Rod Woodson, DB, Purdue
1988: Aaron Jones, DE, Eastern Kentucky
1989: Tim Worley, RB, Georgia
1990: Eric Green, TE, Liberty
1991: Huey Richardson, DE, Florida
1992: Leon Searcy, OT, Miami
1993: Deon Figures, DB, Colorado
1994: Charles Johnson, WR, Colorado
1995: Mark Bruener, TE, Washington
1996: Jamain Stephens, T, North Carolina A&T
1997: Chad Scott, DB, Maryland
1998: Alan Faneca, OG, Louisiana State
1999: Troy Edwards, WR, Louisiana Tech
2000: Plaxico Burress, WR, Michigan St.
2001: Casey Hampton, DT, Texas
2002: Kendall Simmons, OG, Auburn
2003: Troy Polamalu, SS, USC
2004: Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami (Ohio)
2005: Heath Miller, TE, Virginia
2006: Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State
2007: Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida State
2008: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois

KeiselPower99
02-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Ill be honest I still would have drafted Mangold.

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Ill be honest I still would have drafted Mangold.same here..... up until a few weeks ago, holmes wasn't looking much like he deserved to be # 1 pick. now we'll have to wait too see if the steelers can afford him come contract time.

AllD
02-09-2009, 06:45 PM
I picked Holmes.

Bow down

There is something about that Pennsylvania/Ohio cooridor which produces more than an average share of football talent. Dan rooney theorized that the availability of room for football fields and the natural rivialries from over the next hill have created lots of competition. And generation after generation of families raising their children to play has also contributed.

OX1947
02-09-2009, 07:00 PM

Not me, Ohio State receivers are all studs. Granted, most of them have mental issues, but Santonio had a great rookie season for a receiver. His second year, he was injured for 3 games, had he played all 16, would have had over 1200 yards and over 10TDs with the pace he was at. I think he lead the league that year in YPC.

This year was suppose to be his breakout season, and of course, looking at it from a regular season standpoint, that didn't happen, but shoot, I think overall, it WAS his break out season, he just happened to do it when it mattered most and that was in 3 playoff games and it was confirmed by being a Super Bowl MVP.

Even Steeler fans like us get brainwashed by the ESPN world of stats and 45 TD's in a year. Just because Holmes isn't a 1000 yard receiver, doesn't mean he isn't fulfilling his potential. I believe he has done everything he has been expected to do. Remember, this is Pittsburgh, and in Pittsburgh, winning is what matters. Teams and owners preach that cliche, but the Steelers live it for real and so do all players.

revefsreleets
02-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Fitz took longer. Anyone doubt he's the premier WR in the league now? I wonder what HIS potential is.

It takes time for most WR's...

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Fitz took longer. Anyone doubt he's the premier WR in the league now? I wonder what HIS potential is.

It takes time for most WR's... hmmmmm.......look familiar ??? so the experience excuse only comes into play for OSU players ? ok....i gotcha.......:wink02:

We'll keep Washington, I think. Sweed will get his chance next year, but saying he's a rookie as an excuse doesn't cut it. He's played football before, and his job is to catch passes.

revefsreleets
02-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Sweed looks retarded out there. Holmes and Fitz did not. Big difference.

steelerbackr4life
02-09-2009, 08:14 PM

:rofl: :rofl:

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Sweed looks retarded out there. Holmes and Fitz did not. Big difference.seriously though....sweed shouldn't be dropping easy balls even as a rookie, just like holmes shouldn't be dropping over 10 % of his passes. i also believe a 3rd year starter should be catching a hell of a lot more than 55 passes. don't get me wrong, i think holmes is gonna be one of the best in the league in time...but i also think sweed is gonna be a force in the league.

revefsreleets
02-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Sweed just seems confused. He commits stupid penalties. He just doesn't "get it".

I hope he comes along, but I'm pragmatic.

lilyoder6
02-09-2009, 08:28 PM
santo showed this post-season y we moved up and got him and it was not a wasted pick...

i agree with u rev that a lot ppl didn't like the pick.. i bet they were pimping... lendale white... :puke:

revefsreleets
02-09-2009, 08:31 PM
I pimped Lendale White!

Steeldude
02-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Ill be honest I still would have drafted Mangold.

yep, and i still stand by the pick.

tony hipchest
02-09-2009, 08:49 PM
sweed looks just like plex did in his 1st season. of course plex was drafted with intentions of hitting the field game 1.

sweed was drafted with intentions he sit and learn for a year or 2.

its all about reps and both sweed and plex looked a little crappy with a broken hand.

as for santonio, i was against drafting a wr in the 1st round (i wanted mangold who was as close to a definite blue chipper as it gets) for the reasons el-gonzo stated. there was plenty of questions whether moss, jackson, or holmes would be the number one.

late in the game it pretty much seemed clear holmes would go number one (higher than our #32nd pick) and i definitely didnt wanna go with the "2nd best".

but when we traded up i was actually excited we went after our target. based on colbert, cowher, and rooney's past i was convinced he would be good and worth it.

alot of people wanted bobby carpenter. :hunch:

Preacher
02-09-2009, 09:03 PM

I gotta disagree with you suit.

He has some great moves which got him open a number of times. He is simply not used to the speed of the game. If you have access to the Ravens game. There are two specific plays where you see it plainly. Watch the pass he dropped. He had to extend his last stride to catch up to the ball, which through off his timing.

ON his block that everyone raved about, if you watch it, he mistimed the block. He was still crouched, and just began to explode into the player when he contacted him. Actually, it was a bad block in that sense. BUt he was in a good position so he still leveled the guy.

All of that to say, about 95% of his problems is game speed. Think about how much (or should I say little) he was on the field this year.

That single issue affects everything... you miss blocking so you have to grab. You want to get a jump, and you jump early.

It is ALL game speed. He will adjust, THEN we can evaluate him.

devilsdancefloor
02-09-2009, 09:31 PM
i think sweeeddddd will be a really good wide reciever! i was onme who was screaming for carpenter! I dont know if he just has dominate LB's infront of him or he is gonna turn out to be a dud :noidea::noidea:! Im just hoping we pinmp out lines this draft! im still kinda dazed at why we took davis.... is he being prepped to take over for smith or keisel? or is he more of a OLB? or even a ILB?:noidea:

and as far as tone pick i think it has turned out to be a great pick and the chin isin NC smiling:tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

Steeldude
02-09-2009, 09:45 PM
i think sweed will be ok as soon as he builds his confidence and gets accustomed to his transistion from the NCAA to the NFL.

he has the physical skills to be a very good WR. let's see if he can merge it with the mental part and become a complete package :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
02-09-2009, 09:49 PM
i remember holmes having some mental issues simply fielding a punt his rookie season. all's he had to do was catch the ball.

wasnt he supposed to be our tim brown type returner?

3 years later he's taking one to the house in the playoffs.

the sweed haters baffle me. :noidea:

lilyoder6
02-09-2009, 10:22 PM
I pimped Lendale White!

oh.. well i did a lil bit as well.. but after seeing him and the way he acts.. i'm kinda of glad we didn't draft him... i despise the hell out of him.. he is an epic failure as a person

Steelers & I
02-09-2009, 11:30 PM

And for the better part of 3 years THEY WERE RIGHT! They had every right to BOOO him after the Domestic violence arrest and they had every right to BOOO him after the marijuana arrest. They even had the right to BOOOO him for the many drops that he's had over 3 seasons.

So what's your point??? About 3/4's of the members hated the pick, WHO FREAKING CARES??? Even though some BOOOOOOOOOOOO'ed him, and deservingly so, I'm sure that they are currently happy with his success AS A STEELER, not a freaking Buckeye.

tony hipchest
02-09-2009, 11:51 PM
So what's your point??? About 3/4's of the members hated the pick, WHO FREAKING CARES??? Even though some BOOOOOOOOOOOO'ed him, and deservingly so, I'm sure that they are currently happy with his success AS A STEELER, not a freaking Buckeye.
oh, c'mon. its not like he was arrested for marijuana and public intoxication after roaming hotel hallways buck eye naked. :rolleyes:

oh wait, that was terry glenn. :toofunny:

"Thee OSU" seems to be rivaling najeh davenport and "Tha U" (you just know glenn was looking for a hamper to shit in).

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2009, 11:55 PM
oh, c'mon. its not like he was arrested for marijuana and public intoxication after roaming hotel hallways buck eye naked. :rolleyes:

"Thee OSU" seems to be rivaling najeh davenport and "Tha U" (you just know glenn was looking for a hamper to shit in).
:sofunny:

lilyoder6
02-10-2009, 01:10 AM

or he didn't shoot himself in the leg, like another football player from the big 10 conference

revefsreleets
02-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Ryan Leaf had all the talent in th world, but he was a headcase.

Sweed might be, too.

I don't understand the logic of the post about Santo 'deserving" his ridicule and people hating the pick. He's a SB MVP. It was a solid pick. 3rd years are breakout years for WR's and he was no exception. It was what it was...

Buckeye hating is like a board pastime around here.

lilyoder6
02-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Ryan Leaf had all the talent in th world, but he was a headcase.

Sweed might be, too.

I don't understand the logic of the post about Santo 'deserving" his ridicule and people hating the pick. He's a SB MVP. It was a solid pick. 3rd years are breakout years for WR's and he was no exception. It was what it was...

Buckeye hating is like a board pastime around here.

i guess nowadays if u win a SB mvp, that guarantee's u to get bashed... i think it's funny esp the way holmes played the whole post-season..

and i don't think sweed is a headcase. i mean it was his rookie season and sweed is playing in a better organization than leaf did back in the day

Dino 6 Rings
02-10-2009, 12:37 PM
SO when we pick a Dlinemen this year, will we all agree he'll be a home run just because historically...we've nailed it the last 9 years or so.

OX1947
02-10-2009, 01:02 PM
yep, and i still stand by the pick.

Well then it is damn good you weren't the GM on draft day 2006. Because I couldn't see Mangold scoring game winning TD's for division titles and 2nd seeds and returning punts for TD's in crucial moments AND going 9 rec for 131 and a winning TD in the biggest game in sports.

Ohio State Receivers are like the Pittsburgh Steelers, fit to dominant in the pros. If you don't know, look at the track record. Some may be head cases, but they sure can ball. I loved the pick and still do. And not because of the last 3 games. Santonio is in Pittsburgh, not Indy. If Holmes was in Indy the last 3 years, he would have averaged 1200 and 10s each year the last 3 years there. Steelers don't play the numbers game. Its about W's, PERIOD.

Steeldude
02-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Well then it is damn good you weren't the GM on draft day 2006. Because I couldn't see Mangold scoring game winning TD's for division titles and 2nd seeds and returning punts for TD's in crucial moments AND going 9 rec for 131 and a winning TD in the biggest game in sports.

Ohio State Receivers are like the Pittsburgh Steelers, fit to dominant in the pros. If you don't know, look at the track record. Some may be head cases, but they sure can ball. I loved the pick and still do. And not because of the last 3 games. Santonio is in Pittsburgh, not Indy. If Holmes was in Indy the last 3 years, he would have averaged 1200 and 10s each year the last 3 years there. Steelers don't play the numbers game. Its about W's, PERIOD.

Because I couldn't see Mangold scoring game winning TD's

who would be holding the D back for the pass to be completed? you are comparing what a center does on the field to what a WR does. mangold wouldn't be going out for passes. just as holmes wouldn't be protecting the QB while the WRs(holmes) get open, making line calls and opening holes for the RB.

since when does your college automatically equate to a player's success in the NFL? i guess earl campbell wouldn't have been a good RB if he went to virginia etc...?

Well then it is damn good you weren't the GM on draft day 2006.

the steelers would have had a good center. i would trade mangold for holmes right now.

too bad i wasn't GM in '95. IMO, could have had two extra SBs. :smile: think about it. i guess the steelers weren't thinking about the W's like you said. :sofunny:

revefsreleets
02-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Tough call. Both are really good players.

And, yes, certainly college has a lot to do with NFL success. OSU recruits top caliber players, they play top level competition and that certainly better prepares a player for the rigors of life in the NFL.

steelballs
02-12-2009, 10:26 AM
The Ben pick I loved! I didn't hate the Holmes pick, it was just unexpected. I thought we had other needs at the time. Never argued his talent though.

The Ben pick caught me by surprise...I didn't really know too much about him at the time, but the Holmes pick I loved as I watch OSU football and was familiar with his game.

It's always easy to look back and we're all guilty of our own ignorance, but it's certainly sweet when an unknown becomes an unexpected impact player and the Steelers seem to be very talented in finding these diamonds.