PDA

View Full Version : Limas Sweed

Steelersfanforlife
02-05-2009, 07:17 PM
i think that Limas Sweed deserves a chance to show Steeler Nation what he can do. thats why the Steelers should either release Washington in favor for Sweed or move him down the depth chart. what do you think abut this.:tt::tt03::helmet::tt02:

SteelCityKing
02-05-2009, 07:27 PM
i agree. Sweed is a great weapon. but he REALLY needs to work on some fundamentals and get his chops ready if he's going to be seeing more playing time.

Washington was a great Steeler and if he goes he will be greatly missed. but you always need the next big stud to help get you to the bowl game, and like i said, if Sweed works on his game...he can do it.

i'm ready to see all the Rashard Mendenholics burn up the Steeler Nation next season too. =)

stephslack
02-05-2009, 07:31 PM
I'd like to keep Washington if possible and have Sweed do some time on kickoffs and punt returns.

:helmet:

MDSteel15
02-05-2009, 07:31 PM
What do I think???? Bye Nate......

Harrison92
02-05-2009, 07:32 PM
I think Sweed will be a weapon he just needs time like Burres did.Mendenhall I think will be a weapon too....time will tell or next season will tell.

SteelCityKing
02-05-2009, 07:33 PM
I'd like to keep Washington if possible and have Sweed do some time on kickoffs and punt returns.

they CAN utilize him...and they SHOULD. like i said, a great weapon. but he needs time to develop. he's got the gully to return some kicks. he reminds me of Randel El for sure.

Steelersfanforlife
02-05-2009, 07:48 PM

that's a good idea if they decide to keep Washington.

jjpro11
02-05-2009, 08:01 PM
sweed has shown he can get open.. for whatever reason he just hasnt been able to catch the ball though.

Steelersfanforlife
02-05-2009, 08:04 PM
sweed has shown he can get open.. for whatever reason he just hasnt been able to catch the ball though.

its a rookie thing. next season i don't think he will drop the wide open ones like he did this year

GBMelBlount
02-05-2009, 08:22 PM
If they're both in camp may the best man win.

Benzbrother
02-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Tell ya what, if he can master the fundamentals and do what he is capable of doing, I have a feeling I would definitely rather have him over Washington. Don't get me wrong, I love Washington to death and he made some big plays when needed this year, but I just have a feeling that Sweed has an enormous amount of potential

devilsdancefloor
02-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Id love for us to keep him but if he demands $$ and it is between signing a stud LT and keepping nate well buh bye nate!

iloveben7
02-05-2009, 09:39 PM
i hope they keep both of them

touchdownward
02-05-2009, 09:48 PM
You know what I think, I think SWWEEEEDDDDD!!!!!!!!:chuckle:

Seriously though, he's got great speed and can get open, nerves just got the better of the rookie with the drops. He'll be much improved.

I'd also like to keep both he and Nate. I seem to remember Nate had the case of the dropsies 2 seasons ago and that monster doesn't rear it's ugly head that often anymore.

stillers4me
02-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Remember how many times Santonio drooped the ball his first year?

Maybe Leno will ask him about that tonight. :flap:

Steelersfanforlife
02-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Remember how many times Santonio drooped the ball his first year?

Maybe Leno will ask him about that tonight. :flap:

He did drop it a couple times but as you can see he has gotten better and i know that Sweed can get a lot better

xFreeWord420x
02-05-2009, 10:28 PM
There is no way I would get rid of Nate Washington before Sweed.. But I also do feel Sweed deserves a second chance. Lamar Woodley.. That is all I will say.. Oh, and go look up his first year, lol. There are 3 types of players;

Rookies who shine their first year, and then dull out.
Rookies who shine their whole career.
Rookies who blow their first year, and then step it up.

There is evidence my fellow believers.. watch the game against the Ravens. Sweed drops a wide open bomb, and the next play just completely demolishes a guy. You can tell he has the intensity and integrity of a Steelers WR. Give Hines the off-season with him, and we will be looking at a much better Receiver next year.

SunshineMan21
02-06-2009, 01:30 AM
I think there's a good chance Nate will be gone just for cap-management reasons.

GeneralRobinson
02-06-2009, 04:51 AM
If they think that Limas Sweed can be a great receiver, then they will not resign Washington. You cannot develop a receiver is he is sitting on the bench for most of the game.

steelerdave1969
02-06-2009, 05:16 AM
i think that Limas Sweed deserves a chance to show Steeler Nation what he can do. thats why the Steelers should either release Washington in favor for Sweed or move him down the depth chart. what do you think abut this.:tt::tt03::helmet::tt02:

I would like for the Steelers to keep Washington myself and let Sweed learn from Hines and Santonio on how to look the Ball In On His Receiving Chances. Right now at this point Washington is a Better reciever than Sweed, as far as just promoting someone down to a lower position like your saying would be wrong, if Sweed cant be Washington out then he doesnt deserve to be ahead of him in my opinion.

stlrtruck
02-06-2009, 08:02 AM
As of right now the only thing Sweed has proven is that he knows how to touch the ball and then drop it.

Now I remember about 3 years ago Washington had the same problem. No one moved Washington from his pecking order in the lineup until he made changes in his game.

If Washington is re-signed, then I believe he needs to still be the #3 guy until Sweed proves that he can handle the responsibility of catching the ball more times than not - especially when he's wide open down the sidelines with nothing between him and the goal but the grass!

I like Sweed's potential, but it doesn't grant him an automatic bid into the starting lineup.

Galax Steeler
02-06-2009, 08:06 AM
I like Sweed's potential, but it doesn't grant him an automatic bid into the starting lineup.

This is true,but I think Sweed does deserve a chance to be a no.3 receiver.He comes in about 4 or 5 plays a game and maybe gets throwed to maybe 1 time. He needs more playing time to sharpen his skills.

LukesDad88
02-06-2009, 09:47 AM
It's not as if Dan Snyder's going to run in and offer Washington what he offered El. Let's wait and see what kind of offers he's getting. If it's within a competitive range of what we feel comfortable paying him, than we pay it and bring him to camp. Then let their production in camp and preseason decide it.

I'm not willing to give Sweed time on the field just yet. I am willing to give him the opportunity to earn it. At the same time, we can't afford to just trust that he's ready. Let him show it and we'll go from there.

SteelerNez
02-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Dropping the ball consistently isnt that worrisome because thats something that can be improved upon from practice and maturity. The thing the bothers me about sweed is what ive heard of him not being the sharpest tool in the shed. If he isnt going to be able to keep up with the speed of the game then whose to say he isnt going to be worse in the coming years.

tony hipchest
02-06-2009, 10:14 AM
sweed probably doesnt get too much practice time with ben.

fewer snaps in practice = slower development.

compare that with the amount of snaps e. royal gets from j. cutler.

Morgan
02-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I believe Sweed will be fine. He didn't have those issues with the 'Horns. Rookie mistakes. He has the heart to work thru it.

stlrtruck
02-06-2009, 10:55 AM
This is true,but I think Sweed does deserve a chance to be a no.3 receiver.He comes in about 4 or 5 plays a game and maybe gets throwed to maybe 1 time. He needs more playing time to sharpen his skills.

He gets it in training camp and practice just like the rest of the guys who had to earn a spot. We know it can be done look what Harrison has done during his tenure in the NFL.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-06-2009, 11:09 AM
He's a bust. Just like Timmons was last year. :rolleyes:

Say bye to Nate as Sweed, Baker or a free agent (like Mike Furrey) will battle it out for the #3 WR spot.

stillers4me
02-06-2009, 11:41 AM
I would like to read that Limas is going down to Florida to train at the same facility that Santonio trains at. Hint hint.....

goLERS
02-06-2009, 12:40 PM
[QUOTE=stlrtruck;558665]As of right now the only thing Sweed has proven is that he knows how to touch the ball and then drop it.
QUOTE]

Sweed has shown that when he is given the chance to get on the field he GETS OPEN. That is the hardest thing for a rookie WR to do...Limas knows how to catch...you don't become one of the best WR's to come out of Texas without knowing how to catch. Go to training camp and watch him catch balls off the JUGS machine. He starts at normal distance and walks to within a foot of that thing catching one handers left and right. If he would have gotten more reps during the year I highly doubt he drops that ball in the AFCCG. The kid has loads of potential and is well liked by his teammates. Give him another offseason and the nerves will go away.
Washington is as good as gone simply because someone will give him more then he is worth. I would love to have him around but thats not going to happen.

stlrtruck
02-06-2009, 01:00 PM
[QUOTE=stlrtruck;558665]As of right now the only thing Sweed has proven is that he knows how to touch the ball and then drop it.
QUOTE]

Sweed has shown that when he is given the chance to get on the field he GETS OPEN. That is the hardest thing for a rookie WR to do...Limas knows how to catch...you don't become one of the best WR's to come out of Texas without knowing how to catch. Go to training camp and watch him catch balls off the JUGS machine. He starts at normal distance and walks to within a foot of that thing catching one handers left and right. If he would have gotten more reps during the year I highly doubt he drops that ball in the AFCCG. The kid has loads of potential and is well liked by his teammates. Give him another offseason and the nerves will go away.
Washington is as good as gone simply because someone will give him more then he is worth. I would love to have him around but thats not going to happen.

What he does in practice sounds great but my point was more to the fact that:

A) He had opportunities in the regular season and post-season and dropped them
B) His draft status does not automatically give him the roster spot to be the #3 or #2 WR, he has to earn it and I think Tomlin made that point about all players.