PDA

View Full Version : I'm so pissed at NBC.

Stu Pidasso
02-06-2009, 12:53 AM
I bought a 60" HD DLP TV, upgraded my Dish Network to HDTV, and bought a Blu-ray recorder, all just for the Super bowl. I invited friends over. I bought almost $150 worth of food and pop. (friends are BYOB) I hyped up my new TV to said friends. Cost? Let's just say I could have GONE to the Super Bowl.

The game came on. It SAID: "Brought to you in High Definition by Vizio." I said oooOOooo.... Then the game started. It didn't look like is was in 1080. I turned on the alternate NBC channel. Same quality. I thought, "Well, this sucks."

Fast forward 2 days.

I watch the SB Replay on the NFL Network HD.

IT. IS. STUNNING. I about wet myself.

What the FRACK, NBC?!?!?!?

MACH1
02-06-2009, 12:57 AM
Don't think it was necessarily NBC themselves, but your local station.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
02-06-2009, 05:12 AM
I didn't think anyone broadcast in 1080? I thought 720 was T.V., and 1080 was for Blue-Ray and next gen games?

SteelCurtain7
02-06-2009, 06:38 AM
My fam and I had the worst time watching the game. The station constantly cut out, meh. Too bad it didn't permanently silence Madden and Michaels, though. :rofl:

kittenfantastico76
02-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Odd... we have a brand new HD television, surround sound, etc and ours looked great! It might not have been NFL channel quality however it looked great (I hate watching games on Fox or CBS, NBC is definitely the best out of the three)...

I'm sorry you got all geared up for a less than expected super bowl experience that would have made me completely angry as well.

(Reminds me of when we got Wrestlemania last year on PPV, we had a ton of friends over for the show, our friend brought his HUGE flat screen down to watch it on (this was before we got our own)... everything was looking and sounding great... right at the end during the last match - I believe the Undertaker came out and BAM... the power went out for three blocks!!! And didn't come back on for 2 hours UGH!!! Thankfully we were able to watch the end later that evening... my boyfriend was SO annoyed but more so that he felt like he was a bad host).

Your friends know it's not your fault - I get your anger but I don't feel like a bad host by any means!

I wasn't against the new TV but I had NO idea the difference it would make!!! I was shocked! I can't watch regular TV anymore!

GBMelBlount
02-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Wow. Sorry to hear that man. You must have felt like a real Stu Pidasso. :chuckle: (j/k)

Btw, I looked at the 60" DLP's a while back and they had a really nice picture and were priced great imo.

Stu Pidasso
02-06-2009, 02:32 PM
It's now okay. NFLHD is replaying the whole game, halftime and all in GLORIOUS HD Sunday night. Got the Blu-Ray recorder ready...

revefsreleets
02-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Watched on my DLP and it was GLORIOUS!

Sorry man...

Stu Pidasso
02-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I called a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who works at TV21, and it wasn't the network, it WAS my local station. They had "issues" in transmitting. Bastards.

But like I said, I got the replay coming, so it's all good!

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I called a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who works at TV21, and it wasn't the network, it WAS my local station. They had "issues" in transmitting. Bastards.

If they are going to force us to listen to Collinsworth...Olberman...Madden and Millen....they NEED to have the best picture possible

Hammer Of The GODS
02-07-2009, 12:44 PM

Hmmmmm. You're in Ohio right? Brownie and Bungle fans are used to watching crap on tv ! :noidea:

7SteelGal43
02-07-2009, 02:25 PM
well I had my guy, you know, Larry the Cable Guy, come hook me up.

Stu Pidasso
02-07-2009, 04:21 PM
GIT'ER DONE!!!!

SC Steeler Steve
02-07-2009, 04:32 PM
I have a 42" LCD, I havent heard of DLP. I am sure that it is due to HD ignorance.

But my HD was great, I can switch from regular NBC to NBCHD and the difference is amazing. Sorry you had those trouble for the greatest SB and greatest SB party you ever attended.

SC Steeler Steve
02-07-2009, 04:34 PM
It's now okay. NFLHD is replaying the whole game, halftime and all in GLORIOUS HD Sunday night. Got the Blu-Ray recorder ready...

Sorry for my ignorance but what is NFLHD?

Stu Pidasso
02-07-2009, 08:15 PM
NFL Network in HD. It's part of the Dish Network HD Silver package.

steelerbackr4life
02-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I didn't think anyone broadcast in 1080? I thought 720 was T.V., and 1080 was for Blue-Ray and next gen games?

I know that if the network broadcast in 1080i I have been able to view it with directv for atleast 3 years. Not until recently though have you been able to view a broadcast in 1080p with directv. Before then 1080p was viewable via bluray or video game only.

lilyoder6
02-07-2009, 08:39 PM
that just sucks.. at least u had a big tv to watch the game on

Stu Pidasso
02-07-2009, 10:00 PM
...Says the person with a Ferrari in his sigline... :)

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Its simple really. Since most sports are Shot with a Sony...doesn't it make sense to Watch them on a Sony.

Sorry but I have the Sony Bravia LCD 46"

Not a single complaint since the day I turned it on.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
02-07-2009, 11:29 PM
I love my Vizios, best investment I ever made. Can't beat them for the price.

Benzbrother
02-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Same here man I feel your pain...I was so pumped to watch the game on HD and then found out my local provider wasn't broadcasting in HD.....definitely pissed

steelerbackr4life
02-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Its simple really. Since most sports are Shot with a Sony...doesn't it make sense to Watch them on a Sony.

Sorry but I have the Sony Bravia LCD 46"

Not a single complaint since the day I turned it on.

LOL I love the commercial when the chicken trys to jump over the table to get the guy who does not watch sports.

As for monitors I have a 50 and a 42 " Panasonic Plasma. Awesome :thumbsup:

Hammer67
02-09-2009, 12:19 PM

Broadcast HDTV is either 720p or 1080i depending on the channel. ABC/ESPN do 720p while CBS and NBC are 1080i.

BluRay is 1080p.

Now, if you are talking about broadcast vs. what the cable/satellite companies push, that's a different story. Time Warner cable and both satellite companies have been accused of what is called "HDLite" (google it). Where they chop off some of the resolution to save bandwidth. So, a 1920x1080i signal gets cut to 1280x1080i or something similar.

Some cable companies will also compress their signals and produce crappy picture quality. Kind of like an MP3 recorded at 128kbs vs 320kbs.

Hammer67
02-09-2009, 12:23 PM
that just sucks.. at least u had a big tv to watch the game on

Even though the new DirecTV boxes can handle 1080p, stations still don't broadcast in it. I don't know of any networks or channels that do.

DirecTV may upconvert to Progressive Scan or they may be playing their PPV movies in 1080p.

Hammer67
02-09-2009, 12:24 PM

Most are decent entry level sets, especially for the value. I would suggest getting them calibrated by a pro though as they are notorious for having wacky settings out of the box.

GBMelBlount
02-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I bought a top of the line 65" HD rear projection 5+ years ago. It is a 300+ pound beast and has a good high def picture even by today's standards. I have been eyeing the 1080 hi def projectors, waiting for the prices to come down and hopefully will be springing for my "cave mistress" here soon. :chuckle: It's tough to beat a 100+" screen.....

kittenfantastico76
02-09-2009, 01:16 PM

Agreed - that's what we purchased. We did a lot of research before our purchase and it was the best for the price etc. We've been extremely pleased and plan to buy a 2nd one (bigger) and put the current one in the bedroom.

My boyfriend and I looked at each other during the Vizio commercial like WHOA!!! When they said if your little tag doesn't say Vizio you're watching the wrong set or something... lol

steelerbackr4life
02-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Even though the new DirecTV boxes can handle 1080p, stations still don't broadcast in it. I don't know of any networks or channels that do.

DirecTV may upconvert to Progressive Scan or they may be playing their PPV movies in 1080p.

I believe that the PPV movies are in 1080p. Most everything else is in 1080i.
Also I love my Panasonic Plasmas