PDA

View Full Version : Someone please explain what the Pats* are doing...

Sharkissle29
02-06-2009, 08:31 AM
What are they doing with the brady/cassel situation?

I heard he can sign elsewhere, but the pats have the right to match that. but if the other teams sign him, then that team must give the patriots 2 1st round picks? who would do that for a QB who has had ONE good season????

Am i understanding this correctly??? Someone please clarify....

Thanks

drizze99
02-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Matt is an unrestricted free agent which means he was free to sign wherever he wanted. The Pats put the franchise tag on him which means he is still able to be signed with any team BUT as compensation, the Pats get two (2) first round picks. If nobody signs him, then the Pats have to pay him (Matt) a guaranteed salary of the average of the top 5 QB's in the NFL which is around 14 million for 1 year.

Dino 6 Rings
02-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Its actually a smart move. There isn't anyone else on their Roster they need to put the Franchise tag on. This ensures for them that they will either have a back up QB capable of making a playoff run if Brady can't come back or has a set back early in the year, Or, they get compensation for a guy that other teams are going to try and get. There are about 4 teams that can afford and need a good QB this year.

Lions, Bucs, Vikings, 9ers

Sharkissle29
02-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Its actually a smart move. There isn't anyone else on their Roster they need to put the Franchise tag on. This ensures for them that they will either have a back up QB capable of making a playoff run if Brady can't come back or has a set back early in the year, Or, they get compensation for a guy that other teams are going to try and get. There are about 4 teams that can afford and need a good QB this year.

Lions, Bucs, Vikings, 9ers

but what if brady is good to go and no one wants cassel? that screws them out of 14 million! so i guess it could be really good or absolutely terrible for them?

SteelCityMom
02-06-2009, 11:05 AM
but what if brady is good to go and no one wants cassel? that screws them out of 14 million! so i guess it could be really good or absolutely terrible for them?

I bet he gets picked up, though you are correct, if nobody takes him and Brady is good to go they just spent 14 mill on nothing but a security blanket.

Along with the teams mentioned, I could see the Bears taking a close look at him as well. Cassel has some experience now in bad weather games and could be a good fit in Chicago.

revefsreleets
02-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Just for the record (again) Matt Cassel is this years Derrick Anderson. The Pats did ONLY one thing right in this, and that was NOT signing him to a long-term contract. This way when he washes out next year they are one and done. I guess they figure he knows their system (and if his success proves anything, it's that just about any QB can excel in NE's system) and it's worth 14 million to keep him around rather than try to train some new dude in their system.

TheWarDen86
02-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Where's Patsie when you need him?

The Patriot
02-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Where's Patsie when you need him?
General rule of thumb: if Belichick is doing something puzzling, you should probably be worried about it.

stillers4me
02-07-2009, 03:59 PM
General rule of thumb: if Belichick is doing something puzzling, you should probably be worried about it.

:chuckle:

Hawkeye
02-07-2009, 04:12 PM
smart move to the pats, if cassel is traded expect him to go to KC....

and flop

RoethlisBURGHer
02-07-2009, 04:43 PM
The Pats can also come to a long-term deal with him, voiding the gauranteed $14M he'd get this year under the franchise tag.

They can trade his rights to another team while under the franchise tag or with a long-term deal.

So if Brady turns out fine and they don't wanna keep him...they can trade him away.

X-Terminator
02-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Complete waste of a franchise tag. But hey, if it ends up screwing them in the end, then all the better.

NEPAsteeler
02-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Some way, some how... the Patriots will end up benefitting from this, just because everything good usually happens to them and that pi$$es me off!

The Duke
02-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Some way, some how... the Patriots will end up benefitting from this, just because everything good usually happens to them and that pi$$es me off!

hmm.... I could see the vikes giving up their 1st and 2nd picks for Cassel :chuckle:

NEPAsteeler
02-07-2009, 06:09 PM
hmm.... I could see the vikes giving up their 1st and 2nd picks for Cassel :chuckle:

I'm sure there's a team stupid enough to do that and then when the season's done, they'll realize how much of a mistake they made.

The Patriot
02-07-2009, 06:49 PM

Yes indeed. EVERYTHING good ALWAYS happens to the Pats. Sometimes I worry that we might be due for a string of bad luck.

xfl2001fan
02-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Complete waste of a franchise tag. But hey, if it ends up screwing them in the end, then all the better.

Who else should they franchise? This isn't all that dumb of a move.

They now have a lot of different options going for them.

They can keep him for the year and pay him the cash. (Moderately likely).
They can let another team sign him away, but getting 2 first round draft picks out of the deal. (Mostly unlikely.)
They can trade his rights away and let another team sign him to a deal of their choosing...which means that the Pats get some compensation for a guy that is pretty much likely to be playing elsewhere anyways. (Highly likely.)

MasterOfPuppets
02-07-2009, 07:58 PM
If no market generates, the Patriots could have the most expensive backup in the NFL, paying Cassel more than Brady is scheduled to earn in 2009.

Brady, who is rehabilitating from a serious left knee injury that knocked him out of the 2008 season on the 15th offensive play, is due a base salary of $5 million and a bonus of $3 million. Brady's salary cap charge in 2009, due to the acceleration of past bonuses, is $14.6 million.

In the event a trade market does not develop, the Patriots would be tying up $29.2 million of their approximately $123 million salary cap on two players. That runs counter to the philosophy that has helped the Patriots thrive this decade, spreading the wealth to more players, and could handcuff other moves, such as signing nose tackle Vince Wilfork to an extension. :applaudit:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/02/06/patriots_move_fast_on_cassel/

steelerbackr4life
02-07-2009, 08:21 PM
It is a good insurance policy. There is no guarantee that Gods gift to QBs will be 100 percent upon his return. Cassell played well and is monetarily feasible thanks to the franchise tag.

NEPAsteeler
02-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Yes indeed. EVERYTHING good ALWAYS happens to the Pats. Sometimes I worry that we might be due for a string of bad luck.

Sorry :chuckle:

X-Terminator
02-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Who else should they franchise? This isn't all that dumb of a move.

They now have a lot of different options going for them.

They can keep him for the year and pay him the cash. (Moderately likely).
They can let another team sign him away, but getting 2 first round draft picks out of the deal. (Mostly unlikely.)
They can trade his rights away and let another team sign him to a deal of their choosing...which means that the Pats get some compensation for a guy that is pretty much likely to be playing elsewhere anyways. (Highly likely.)

See MOP's post for my reasoning. Plus, is it guaranteed that another team will trade for him? Why in the world would any team trade for and then throw a gazillion dollars at a QB who has played a grand total of 15 and a half NFL games? That's just stupid. At least when they pay a rookie big bucks, they aren't giving up anything in return. It's going to take at least a 1st round pick to pry Cassel out of NE*, and I'm sorry, but he is nowhere near worth that at this stage of his career. I could end up being completely wrong, but I think NE* is going to be stuck with a damn-near $30 million cap hit on 2 QBs, and that is going to end up biting them in the ass.

lilyoder6
02-07-2009, 09:52 PM
if the pats keep cassel.. the man will make 14.2 mill next yr or something close to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

thats more than what brady is making... i hope they have enough money to wipe there own ass

xfl2001fan
02-08-2009, 07:33 AM
See MOP's post for my reasoning. Plus, is it guaranteed that another team will trade for him? Why in the world would any team trade for and then throw a gazillion dollars at a QB who has played a grand total of 15 and a half NFL games? That's just stupid. At least when they pay a rookie big bucks, they aren't giving up anything in return. It's going to take at least a 1st round pick to pry Cassel out of NE*, and I'm sorry, but he is nowhere near worth that at this stage of his career. I could end up being completely wrong, but I think NE* is going to be stuck with a damn-near $30 million cap hit on 2 QBs, and that is going to end up biting them in the ass.

It may not be draft picks that the Pats* are after. They could be after players too. Maybe they want to trade him for a CB or a LB...combined with a draft pick (i.e. Cassel for LB+ 2nd round).

Look at last season. GB franchised Corey Williams and then traded him for a 2nd round pick.

Now, if you're a team with multiple 1st round draft picks...you could portentially trade one of them for a guy who has shown he can at least play some in the league...as opposed to some rookie who is completely unproven. You then structure Cassel's contract around performance bonuses. Get him 4-5M a year in base salary...some easy to achieve bonuses for 1M or so...and some very difficult ones to get that could extend his contract into the 8-10M/year type area.

It works out for the player and both teams.

Petesburgh66
02-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I suspect the Patriots will be stuck will Cassel this year. Nobody is going to give up 2 first round picks to acquire his services. Plus I can see other GMs around the league of letting the Pats screw themselves with that salary cap number for a backup QB.

As for trade....why would a NFL GM trade for a QB that only has proven himself for one year? Ask the Lions how that Scott Mitchell signing worked out in 1994. No way would I shell out money to guy that I suspect is product of a system.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I think the Pats will get a trade for him. Maybe the Lions trade the #1 pick for him since he's ahead of Matt Stafford from a development standpoint.

maybe the Chiefs trade LJ and a pick for him, or the Vikings trade a DB and pick for him. I honestly hope they have to pay both Cassell and Brady. :chuckle:

revefsreleets
02-09-2009, 05:42 PM
This is all, of course, p[predicated upon the assumption that he's not a one-year-wonder.

If he's NOT, then this is all fine and good and sound logic by the Pats. However, considering their system, and their schedule, and the facts that he basically choked against every defense he faced this year, I'm sticking with the "Tommy Tutone" theory.

He's DAII

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm sticking with the "Tommy Tutone" theory.

What if the winning QB lottery numbers are 8-6-7-5-3-0-9 ? :toofunny:

revefsreleets
02-09-2009, 06:10 PM
There's always a chance.

Interesting aside. The dude that owns that number is selling it. I guess Jenny doesn't live there anymore...

Preacher
02-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Makes sense.

1. The Pats have no guarantee that Brady is truly healthy. If they lose Cassel, then they are scrambling for a QB to learn the system. Chances are, that QB will come in with baggage as well.

2. It is a one year deal. Which means they don't have cap issues down the road. Basically, they are buying a 14 mill. dollar insurance policy. Now just think about how our 6 million dollar insurance policy with Starks worked out this year. Had we lost him, I don't know if we could have held down the LT spot.

3. It gives the Pats to opportunity to have input on where Cassel goes. He doesn't end up in Jets land giving them the playbook. He ends up in a NFC team that doesn't threaten the Pats.

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2009, 06:55 PM
2. It is a one year deal. Which means they don't have cap issues down the road. Basically, they are buying a 14 mill. dollar insurance policy. Now just think about how our 6 million dollar insurance policy with Starks worked out this year. Had we lost him, I don't know if we could have held down the LT spot. .

certainly could screw em this year.....plus waiting another year to sign wilfork, could drive his price up....:chuckle:

In the event a trade market does not develop, the Patriots would be tying up $29.2 million of their approximately $123 million salary cap on two players. That runs counter to the philosophy that has helped the Patriots thrive this decade, spreading the wealth to more players, and could handcuff other moves, such as signing nose tackle Vince Wilfork to an extension.