PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs hire Haley as coach...

Steelcitygal87
02-06-2009, 01:09 PM
http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-nfl/20090206/Chiefs-Haley/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) Arizona offensive coordinator Todd Haley was hired as coach of the Kansas City Chiefs on Friday after helping the Cardinals reach the Super Bowl.

The decision was confirmed to The Associated Press by a person familiar with the hiring. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement was pending.

Haley takes over a team that went a franchise-worst 2-14 under coach Herm Edwards, who was fired Jan. 23. Edwards lost all but two of his last 25 games and launched a rebuilding project that made the Chiefs the league's youngest team this season.

The Chiefs haven't won a postseason game since an aging Joe Montana was their quarterback in the 1993 season.

Haley, who turns 42 this month, helped shape an offense that carried the Cardinals to an improbable NFC West title and nearly a Super Bowl victory over Pittsburgh.

He did not start calling plays until late in the 2007 season. But this season an Arizona offense led by quarterback Kurt Warner set a franchise record with 427 points, finished third in scoring in the NFL and was second in yards passing.

Leading to the Super Bowl, Haley repeatedly was questioned about Kansas City and when he was expected to join new general manager Scott Pioli at Arrowhead Stadium. Haley and Pioli worked together at the New York Jets, where Haley's father, Dick, was personnel director. It isn't known what other candidates Pioli interviewed.

tony hipchest
02-06-2009, 03:01 PM
he got his start in football with the '70s steelers as a ball boy.

KeiselPower99
02-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Anyone wanna bet he tries to take Warner with him??

atlsteelers
02-06-2009, 04:04 PM

thats a pretty decent bet, but warner only has a couple more seasons left in him and he will probally want to make another playoff run with the cardnals instead of getting beat up on a bad KC team.

i like haley i think he will do a good job. his pops worked with the steelers for a long time

Steelersfanforlife
02-06-2009, 06:17 PM

i thought Warner was considering retirement

RoethlisBURGHer
02-06-2009, 06:28 PM
I think he can turn that team into something exciting to watch.

HometownGal
02-06-2009, 06:42 PM
I was really impressed with Haley this season - he did a damned good job as the Cards OC. He could quite possibly turn the Chiefs around as Wiz did with the Cards if he hires the right people.

Will the Cards O be as dynamic with a new co'ord? :noidea: Guess only time will tell.

lilyoder6
02-06-2009, 09:24 PM
at first i would think that Haley would try and bring boldin along with him since boldin just dispises the cardinals organization... BUT then the sideline show in the nfccg changed things a lil bit