PDA

View Full Version : Harrison and Steelers Talk about new contract

Stlrs4Life
02-06-2009, 07:52 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/around-the-web/

Around The Web
Harrison, Steelers talk about new contract

Posted: February 5th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: James Harrison, Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers LB James Harrison made arguably the biggest play in Super Bowl XLIII to follow up winning the NFL Defensive Player of the Year award. Now comes the contract renegotiation.

Harrison has one year left on his current deal, but his agent, Bill Parise, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he already has held discussions with the team. Parise said he’s hoping for $100 million for his client, though he said that with a laugh.

“We have had discussions, not negotiated, but we have talked,” Parise said. “I think the Steelers and I are on the same page. We don’t think there will be any issues. My goal and, I think, theirs is the same. We know what we need to do and we’ll both go about the business of trying to get it done.”

Parise believes a deal can be wrapped up fairly quickly.

“I’m not worried about the Steelers at all. Their history shows they do the right thing at the right time."

lilyoder6
02-06-2009, 07:54 PM
obv i think harrison has deserved the right to get a decent big contract.. but i hope he doesn't get a big head and start thinking bout all the money

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
02-06-2009, 08:00 PM
He Deserves It!

jev7452
02-06-2009, 08:11 PM
he's really proven himself these past 2 seasons.. hope it doesnt go to his head either

Steelersfanforlife
02-06-2009, 08:11 PM
He Deserves It!
yes he does every penny

Steeldude
02-06-2009, 09:24 PM
he deserves a big raise by today's NFL standards, but there is a limit. i liked harrison for years and was bashed for saying he would be better than porter, but again there is a limit.

i am interested is finding out what kind of area of salary harrison and his agent are asking for.

MasterOfPuppets
02-06-2009, 09:47 PM
his age has got to be a factor.....:noidea:

Galax Steeler
02-07-2009, 06:53 AM
i am interested is finding out what kind of area of salary harrison and his agent are asking for.

That is the big question how much does he want and how much do we give him at his age.

AllD
02-07-2009, 07:41 AM
He needs a lengthy contract with guaranteed $ that will allow him to retire as a Steeler. His pride will make any amount he receives, a bargain.

Benzbrother
02-07-2009, 09:40 AM
LOCK HIM UP!!!! Seriously, I really hope this guy finishes the rest of his playing years wearing black and gold! I don't see anything but him making big plays for us year after year

JackAttack 5958
02-07-2009, 10:02 AM
If anyone has earned their keep, it's Harrison.

AllD
02-07-2009, 10:06 AM
LOCK HIM UP!!!! Seriously, I really hope this guy finishes the rest of his playing years wearing black and gold! I don't see anything but him making big plays for us year after year

Hard to top this season by anybody. Comparable to Dickerson's 2000+ yards, Don Hudson's receiving in 1942, Gale Sayer's rookie year, Roger Craig's 1000/1000 rush/rec et al. Might be the best season in Steeler history.:tt02:

tony hipchest
02-07-2009, 10:19 AM
his contract will be 1 of the easiest to figure out.

its not about what he thinks he's worth or what he will ask for.

its all about his market value and what he has rightfully earned.

a good starting point is looking at t. suggs franchise tag last season and what the patriots gave adalius thomas the year before.

that puts harrisons value at about $8 mil/year.

however those are old numbers, and the steelers have shown they will make ben the highest paid qb, and troy the highest paid safety.

if harrison were to hit the open market about a dozen teams would be going ape shit to make him the highest paid lb.

the jets, patriots, and dolphins would probably enter a bidding war for him.

the browns and bengals would love him. teams like arizona and green bay are converting to the steeler defense and each have plenty of cap room to make a joey porter type move.

we need to get him done before players like t. suggs, r. lewis, and d. ware inflate his number.

the thing that sucks is we will be going through the same situation with lamarr woodley in a year or 2.

lilyoder6
02-07-2009, 10:36 AM
yep... it's going 2 be some interesting things happening with this team.. i just hope we can use the 25 mill this yr to our advantage and get as many ppl done as we can get

Curtain_of_Steel
02-07-2009, 12:00 PM
"the browns and bengals would love him. teams like arizona and green bay are converting to the steeler defense and each have plenty of cap room to make a joey porter type move."

There is only 1 Steeler defense. There is no converting others to the Steeler defense. Others can try a 3-4, but that doesn't mean its the Steeler def. They really is a different mentality to a 3-4. The players have to accept it as well. Low profile Dline cloggers, high profile LB blitizers. Its quite reverse in a 4-3.

Again, there is no other Steeler defense.

tony hipchest
02-07-2009, 12:08 PM
"the browns and bengals would love him. teams like arizona and green bay are converting to the steeler defense and each have plenty of cap room to make a joey porter type move."

There is only 1 Steeler defense. There is no converting others to the Steeler defense. Others can try a 3-4, but that doesn't mean its the Steeler def. They really is a different mentality to a 3-4. The players have to accept it as well. Low profile Dline cloggers, high profile LB blitizers. Its quite reverse in a 4-3.

Again, there is no other Steeler defense.it was a figure of speech.

green bay is trying to do what carolina did in the 90's which is adopt the steelers philosophy in regards to defense.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Yeah, if you can lock up Harrison for say 4 years....he will be 34 when its over. Still a good age where LB's can be productive (See Farrior, Porter, Nickerson). That also means he and Woodley would be together for at least 2 more seasons.

Sign McFadden. Extend Harrison and Miller. Let most of the O-line walk and build thru the draft with Hartwig, Simmons, Colon, Stapleton, Hills still under contract.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Agree El, but you could do a 5 year deal, or perhaps a 6 to spread that bonus out. There fore not costing us to much money in those dead years. Also, just in case he is still cranking here is here. Front load a year to save us in 3 and 4.

steelreserve
02-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Just pay him what we were paying Starks, let that fat-ass sign a sucker deal with some other team, and it works out for everybody.

stillers4me
02-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Pay.......the.......man.

lilyoder6
02-07-2009, 01:36 PM
idk y evryone is still dogging on starks.. the man played real good for us at lt, better than smith was playing..

but i think we can re-sign most of the o-line w/o a problem.. it's not like they are big name o-line that just stood out

The Duke
02-07-2009, 02:16 PM
idk y evryone is still dogging on starks.. the man played real good for us at lt, better than smith was playing..

but i think we can re-sign most of the o-line w/o a problem.. it's not like they are big name o-line that just stood out

Because we can do much better than him :noidea:

and it's arguable he did better than smith. Marvel played in 4 full games, one of which was the philly game where the whole line was seemed played like shit.

Starks has received a lot of praise he does not deserve. I actually hope someone overpays for him and takes him out of our hands

steelreserve
02-07-2009, 04:58 PM

He played OK, but we were paying him like Randy Moss. He certainly wasn't dominant. In order to command the $4-$5 million-plus that he'll be asking for a long-term deal, you ought to be blowing people off the line and giving up hardly any sacks. In other words, we ought to be confident that you're an asset that will get us extra yardage when we run to your side, and not someone we have to worry about on the pass rush. Starks hasn't done any of those things; he's stood his ground at best.

lilyoder6
02-07-2009, 05:39 PM
He played OK, but we were paying him like Randy Moss. He certainly wasn't dominant. In order to command the $4-$5 million-plus that he'll be asking for a long-term deal, you ought to be blowing people off the line and giving up hardly any sacks. In other words, we ought to be confident that you're an asset that will get us extra yardage when we run to your side, and not someone we have to worry about on the pass rush. Starks hasn't done any of those things; he's stood his ground at best.

i can see the arguement with the money and all.. but some of the posters just coming out and saying he straight up blows...

i agree he shouldn't of gotten that much money.. but he deserves a lil bit more than what ppl on here are saying... the man was the leader of the o-line since he had the most exp being w/ the team

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-07-2009, 05:39 PM
That is the big question how much does he want and how much do we give him at his age.

Hes age doesn't resemble his football age. For the majority of his career he was a special teamer. Your one the field maybe 15% of the game. I think Harrison has at least 5 more good years in him. And also believe that money wont get to his head. You here the guy talk and you can get s good sense of his character. He is a hard worker and he doesn't take and Bull$hit. The perfect steeler.

:tt03: