PDA

View Full Version : We are not "America's Team" - nor do we want to be.

CPanther95
02-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Please don't fall into the trap of arguing that we are the "real" America's Team. We don't want the nickname. Not only because it was given to the Cowboys by NFL Films for their season highlight reel for 1978 - the year they lost SB XIII to the Steelers, but also because soon after, Art Rooney was asked if the Steelers shouldn't be given the title since they are World Champions (and Miami looked like a PS home game) and he responded, "No, we are Pittsburgh's Team". We don't want some castoff nickname tainted by the Cowboys. And out of respect for The Chief, we shouldn't now try to claim it.

Our focus is winning football games and championships - not marketing or attracting the paparazzi. Lets not get mired in the BS and distractions that bush-league-owner Jerry Jones appears to thrive on. Let the Cowboys continue to lose - even if they lose pretty. I'd rather win ugly. If you don't want to join Steeler Nation, that speaks to your lack of character, not ours.

As far as I'm concerned, any Steelers fan trying to claim that title must be jumping on a bandwagon, not embracing a team and philosophy.

lilyoder6
02-06-2009, 09:10 PM
being called something doesn't always mean distractions and paparizzi... look at barry sanders.. the man was a freak and had plenty of att.. but he was humble..

it's just a phrase

jev7452
02-06-2009, 09:59 PM
let people call them whatever they want.. they are and always will be the Pittsburgh Steelers

7SteelGal43
02-06-2009, 10:31 PM
I've been a Steeler fan for over 30 years now, but I've been to the city of Pittsburgh ONCE in my entire life (that's another incredible story). But I'll tell ya one thing, I AM A PART OF STEELER NATION ! :tt03:

Steelersfanforlife
02-06-2009, 10:39 PM
i will never call the Steelers Americas Team

jjpro11
02-06-2009, 10:45 PM
i prefer steeler nation myself. the players and coaches seem to like the name as well. i havent heard anyone outside of the media say america's team.. and when i have heard them say it, it was usually used as a shot against the cowboys for their mess of a franchise.

SteelersMongol
02-06-2009, 10:46 PM
How about "WORLD'S TEAM" or "INTERCONTINENTAL TEAM"? :wink02: :chuckle:

I've been a Steeler fan for over 30 years now, but I've been to the city of Pittsburgh ONCE in my entire life (that's another incredible story). But I'll tell ya one thing, I AM A PART OF STEELER NATION ! :tt03:

Same here.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-06-2009, 10:50 PM
We are Steelers Nation! Most intimating gathering of fans you will ever seen.

When the Steelers travel to your home teams stadium the first thought that goes through your head is, "Shiiiit we better get some seats cause we are going to get outnumbered"