PDA

View Full Version : Official 2009 NASCAR Thread

HometownGal
02-06-2009, 09:25 PM
The NASCAR season officially begins tomorrow afternoon with the Budweiser Shootout, moves along on Thursday with the Gatorade Duels and the competition kicks off next Sunday at Daytona. Can't wait! :banana:

You all know I'm a Hendricks gal, so I'll be pullin' for Jeff, Jimmie and Dale, Jr. again this season. :thumbsup:

Anyone going to races this season? I'm going to my annual Dover race in September. One of these years, I'll get to Talladega - I've always wanted to go there.

Boogity, boogity, boogity - let's go racing! :applaudit:

NEPAsteeler
02-06-2009, 10:17 PM
I live about an hour or so away from Pocono. I've never been to a NASCAR race but would love to go. If not this year, then hopefully next year!

Fire Haley
02-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Good to see them racing again! And Matt's car looks good, so I'm excited - Yes - I have a reason to live for the next 9 months.
I might go to Atlanta next monh.

Jimmy looks like he's been living under a bridge for 2 1/2 months.

My prediction is either Logano or Scott Speed takes out 1/2 the field at Daytona..

revefsreleets
02-09-2009, 09:25 AM
How about Mark Martin running for Hendrick? To me, that is most definitely the top "Silly Season" storyline...

Fire Haley
02-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Congrats to Happy - he snuck in the Bud Shootout win from nowhere.

should be a fun season

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/nascar-cup/2009/dso/nascarcup-2009-dso-as-0017.jpg

revefsreleets
02-09-2009, 04:49 PM
I've always liked Harvick. He's one of the very few dudes who will still be a little controversial in the new super family friendly NASCAR world...

HometownGal
02-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I like Harvick, as well - especially when he's up in Stewart's grill, as I hate that SOB. :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
02-09-2009, 05:32 PM
That's exactly WHY I like Stewart, too! There are only a few guys who let it all hang out there now...everyone else it buttoned up too tight for the sponsors.

Fire Haley
02-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Hornish should go back to go-carts

Knocked my boy outta the Duels - but Matt says the car sucked anyway - pull out the back-up.

Another craptastic start to the season.

Matt's car was bouncing around all over the place out there, he tried to hook up with Jamie but just wasn't fast enough to stay with him.

7SteelGal43
02-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Congrats to Happy - he snuck in the Bud Shootout win from nowhere.

should be a fun season

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/nascar-cup/2009/dso/nascarcup-2009-dso-as-0017.jpg

HELL YEAH !!!!!!!!! Harvick fan here, I love that ending. made me..."Happy" :chuckle:

HometownGal
02-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Tomorrow at 2 PM (EST) the 2009 NASCAR season officially begins at Daytona!!! I am sooooooo ready! :banana:

I see Jeff won the 1st Gatorade Duel on Thursday :applaudit: and Ears #2 won the 2nd.

I think 2 of the Hendricks boys are going to finish in the Top 10 tomorrow - just a gut. :thumbsup:

Fire Haley
02-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Looks like you might have to wait another day - if the weather gods don't cooperate

http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/interstate/hourbyhour/USFL0106?begHour=15&begDay=46

TackleMeBen
02-15-2009, 10:40 AM
i hope they can get it in today.

btw, tom cruise will be driving the pace car for the race today.

tony hipchest
02-15-2009, 05:49 PM
a rained out daytona 500 has got to be one of the biggest buzzkills of the year.

with that being said, i had a strong feeling that today might be roush's day. i was thinking mcmurray, edwads, kenseth had a strong shot (in that order).

with 50 laps to go, and kenseth in the lead, i think he has an excellent chance and will have earned the win if it is given to him.

sure hope it goes green though. i wanna see what aj allmendinger (sounds like the name of a prostitute) has got for the end.

SHIT! as i type this, it has been declared over. congrats to matt and the black and yellow. :tt02:

TackleMeBen
02-15-2009, 05:49 PM
i agree. a rained out daytona 500 sucks for the start of the nascar season. congrats to matt kenseth though. i was pulling for tony though. at least there was some wrecks and it wasnt boring like most of the races last season.

HometownGal
02-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Race was called with 48 laps to go and MATT KENSETH is the winner of the 2009 Daytona 500! :applaudit::thumbsup:

Fire Haley
02-15-2009, 05:58 PM
WOO-HOO!!!

Yeah baby! Thank you Jr for scrambling them eggs.

Good calls by our rookie crew chief.

http://media2.thatsracin.com/smedia/2009/02/15/18/205-021509winner1.centerpiece.prod_affiliate.158.jpg

HometownGal
02-15-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm a Hendricks gal, but when Kenseth avoided that wreck, I knew he was going to win. I totally respect him as a driver - he deserved that win today! :drink:

Top 10:

1. Kenseth
2. Harvick
3. Allmendinger
4. Bowyer
5. Sadler
6. Ragan
7. Waltrip
8. Jagoff Stewart
9. Sorenson
10. Ears #1

TackleMeBen
02-15-2009, 06:04 PM
i cant believe waltrip finished 7th. that is good for him.

Fire Haley
02-16-2009, 03:05 AM
It's like winning two SB's in one year, I tell ya!!

First the Steelers, then this.

Now I gotta buy more hats!!

As far as the Jr thing - Jimmy Spencer ripped him a new one on Victory Lane, unlike DW who was apologizing for Jr from the git-go. Whatever - we usually are the ones who get taken out in these kinda crashes - making it through one is a new experience for me - I'm still in shock.

Galax Steeler
02-16-2009, 04:02 AM
WOO-HOO!!!

Yeah baby! Thank you Jr for scrambling them eggs.

Good calls by our rookie crew chief.

http://media2.thatsracin.com/smedia/2009/02/15/18/205-021509winner1.centerpiece.prod_affiliate.158.jpg

The funniest one was Kyle Busch getting wrecked.:rofl:

Fire Haley
02-16-2009, 04:10 AM
Life is good.

http://media2.thatsracin.com/smedia/2009/02/15/20/230-DAYTONA_DAY_FIVE_18.embedded.prod_affiliate.158.JP G

revefsreleets
02-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Congrats Matt...he's a cool dude.

Look out for Gordon this year, though. It just came out the guys had all kinds of previously undisclosed back problems that are finally fixed. I expect him to have a really strong year.

By the by, for those keeping track, under the old rules he'd now have 7 Cups.

Fire Haley
02-16-2009, 10:17 AM
No Hendricks cars in the top 10?

Is that allowed?.

Fire Haley
02-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Matty is all over the ESPN morning shows - on Mike&Mike and First Take. (they're all clueless about nascar racing - but hey, it's still cool)

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/621/nascarcup2009dayas0192db2.jpg

7SteelGal43
02-16-2009, 10:57 AM

Is that allowed?.

Not only allowed, but encouraged :chuckle:

7SteelGal43
02-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Well, I was kinda disappointed as a Harvick fan. I'm not gonna whine 'cause Kenseth got it, but who knows. With 48 laps to go, as good a car as Harvick had (the one he won the Bud Shooutout in) it would've been interesting to see if he coulda gotten his second Daytona 500 win. But, here's to finishing second :drink: Not a bad way to start the year !

Fire Haley
02-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Check this out...

Atlanta NASCAR Race Tickets Cut To $17

Monday, February 16, 2009

HAMPTON, Ga. -- NASCAR fans will be able to buy tickets to the Kobalt Tools 500 at the Atlanta Motor Speedway for $17 beginning Monday morning thanks to the win by Matt Kenseth in the Daytona 500 Sunday.

That's because Kenseth drives the number 17 Ford and officials at the Atlanta Motor Speedway announced that 1,000 $95 tickets will be sold at a price matching the number of the winning car at Daytona.

tony hipchest
02-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Check this out...

Atlanta NASCAR Race Tickets Cut To $17

Monday, February 16, 2009

HAMPTON, Ga. -- NASCAR fans will be able to buy tickets to the Kobalt Tools 500 at the Atlanta Motor Speedway for $17 beginning Monday morning thanks to the win by Matt Kenseth in the Daytona 500 Sunday.

That's because Kenseth drives the number 17 Ford and officials at the Atlanta Motor Speedway announced that 1,000 $95 tickets will be sold at a price matching the number of the winning car at Daytona.matts cool cause you get free and cheap shit when he wins.

does he still do the arby's promotion?

can i go get my free order of curly fries? :yummy:

Is that allowed?.

its not allowed. whats also not allowed is running a 6 car team but there are ways around that....

technically stewart and newman are running hendrick cars. they are stewart/haas in name only. how bout that hugging lovefest between hendrick and stewart after the busch race.

classic!

Fire Haley
02-16-2009, 12:04 PM
matts cool cause you get free and cheap shit when he wins.

Well, yeah.

Nope, no more curly fries - but a win gets us 17% off all his merchandise.:tt02:

btw - I called Atlanta speedway - they already sold out the first 1000 tickets for $17.
The next best deal is one at regular $95 price and 2nd ticket for $17.

Fire Haley
02-17-2009, 10:58 AM
I gotta get me one of them hats!

(I'm still walking on sunshine)

http://www.racingone.com/images/sspics/hires/3415f.jpg

revefsreleets
02-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Ah, one race in and the conspiracy theories are already in full swing...

Fire Haley
02-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Oh c'mon - if they black-flagged Jr like they should have - you know 1/3 of the crowd would have emptied - can't show that on National Tee-Vee!

DW would say anything to save face for his Junebug.

tony hipchest
02-17-2009, 02:26 PM
conspiracy? what "conspiracy"?

whats this? tony stewart in victory lane on a vehicle slathered with Hendrickcars.com logos?

http://www.nascar.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2009/bg/0902/gallery.daytona.nationwide/

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/tony_sm_tease.jpg

the denial is priceless (and expected).

http://insiderracingnews.com/Writers/MP/011909.html

Becoming part owner of a NASCAR team has kept Tony Stewart very busy this off season. However, he is not in as bad a shape as he would be if it were a start up team, and besides, he has the advantage of using Hendrick chassis and engines.

"It's an existing team that's changing a little bit, but especially with two new drivers and two new crew chiefs and two drivers that aren't used to the chassis packages we're going to be running, it's definitely going to be a big adjustment,” Stewart said in a Reid Spencer article on nascar.com.

In addition to getting a feel for their new cars, the drivers also worked on establishing effective communications with their new crew chiefs. Darian Grubb will serve as Stewart’s crew chief and Tony Gibson will fill that role for Newman.

Grubb is a veteran of Hendrick Motorsports and will provide a wealth of experience for Stewart-Haas Racing. Gibson has been a crew chief in the Cup Series since 2002, having worked with drivers such as Mark Martin, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Steve Park and Michael Waltrip.

"I am confident coming out of the box that we'll be a contender at the Daytona 500," Newman said in a Joe Menzer article for nascar.com. "I feel that there are going to be some things that we'll have to learn, but I think as a group, with our team ... that we'll be competitive. I feel with the Hendrick components, myself and Darian Grubb and Tony Gibson, that there's no reason that we're not [going to be].”

And after that, Newman says the goals are for both cars to qualify for the Chase for the Championship next season. Quite lofty goals for a brand new team, but since Stewart-Haas will be racing under the Hendrick banner this season, not entirely out of the question.

Fire Haley
02-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Tony has mellowed out now that he has to pay for his wrecked cars out of his own pocket.

revefsreleets
02-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Roush runs 5. There were also at least 8 cars using Roush/Yates engines last year.

But only Hendrick "cheats"...Riiiiight...

HometownGal
02-20-2009, 06:15 AM
Tony has mellowed out now that he has to pay for his wrecked cars out of his own pocket.

I'll believe that when I see it. Stewart is :screwy:

Fire Haley
02-20-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm still celebrating my second SB win in a month

http://www.mattkenseth.com/images/wallpapers/Daytona500WallpaperThumb.jpg

Fire Haley
02-21-2009, 06:39 AM
So who's gonna win Cali?

Place your bets.

I see Jr is starting behing Vickers, so the first crash may come on the first lap, taking out half the field? If Jr goes psycho again, Matt might take the back-to-back win.

My money is on a fuel mileage run shocker at the end though. R. Gordon will come out of nowhere.

Galax Steeler
02-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Paul Menard or Travis Kvapil either one is fine with me. Go Yates.

Fire Haley
02-21-2009, 09:51 AM
I've always liked Harvick. He's one of the very few dudes who will still be a little controversial in the new super family friendly NASCAR world...

I like him more now...

KEVIN HARVICK: "I think in the garage it will definitely be a popular win. I think Matt's obviously a pretty stand up person and a great racecar driver, accomplished a lot in this sport. I think a lot of us can relate to Matt for kind of going out of the spotlight.

I think he's one of those guys that he can win seven or eight races in a year and never receive any credit. He's a really good racecar driver. He's a champion, Daytona 500 champion. I think a lot of times some of those things are overlooked. "

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=318907&FS=NASCAR-CUP

tony hipchest
02-21-2009, 07:19 PM
"I see conspiracy theories"

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/movie_i_see_dead_people.jpg

someone say "cheats"?

Roush runs 5. There were also at least 8 cars using Roush/Yates engines last year.

But only Hendrick "cheats"...Riiiiight...so youre saying yates has an 8 car team? riiiight...

sure they merged their engine program, but yates isnt running roush cars or vice versa (unless you have evidence to the contrary. maybe they are all built in the same shop and i just havent heard.)

big difference between an engine and a car. teams outsource engines all the time. hell, jasper could provide engines to 5 different teams but it wouldnt mean theyre all running the same cars.

theres really only 5 components to a racecar- chassis, engine, tires, shocks and skin.

just a slight possibility that stewart/hass are using different shocks than hendrick. being that the skin is chevy specs, and the tires are universal to all teams, stewart/newman are running hendrick cars. :noidea:

i dont understand the confusion, but the denial and subsequent is deflection onto roush is both amusing and expected.

Fire Haley
02-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Cali is gonna be boring, I'm afraid. Hey - maybe we'll get some fisticuffs, that's always fun.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1wGLQBW2-zI/SPIVl4KwY2I/AAAAAAAAALc/lHuhf7kEUck/s400/kevin+vs+car.jpg

HometownGal
02-21-2009, 08:34 PM
So who's gonna win Cali?

Place your bets.

I see Jr is starting behing Vickers, so the first crash may come on the first lap, taking out half the field? If Jr goes psycho again, Matt might take the back-to-back win.

My money is on a fuel mileage run shocker at the end though. R. Gordon will come out of nowhere.

JJ is behind Vickers, Killer. Jeff is at #6 - me thinks one of my Hendricks boyz is going to come out on top in this one. :thumbsup:

Fire Haley
02-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Shrub just won the truck race and the Nationwide race, both in laughers. He led pretty much every boring lap.
Without even a sniff of any fuel mileage drama. Can't we just skip this race or replace it with The Rock?

tony hipchest
02-22-2009, 01:23 PM
they need to bank this track and turn it into a 3rd restrictor plate race asap.

the last 5 tracks theyve built have really watered down the sport.

hard not to bet on shrub today.

but JJ will probably win.

JJ
bush jr.
kenseth (carries momentum well and maintains his points lead)
edwards
gordon

:yawn:

steelerdave1969
02-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Matt kenseth is the luckiest dog in the NASCAR series for getting his win last week at Daytona. Everyone knows that anything can and most likely will happend there.
Too bad Dale Sr isnt still around to show your boyz really how to race.. Jimmy Johnson is the man to beat pretty much everywhere til someone beats him. But I do love Dale Jr, but he will NEVER B His Daddy for sure.

P.S.
Kyle Busch is such a prick!!
I hope he wrecks 1st lap...

HometownGal
02-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Matt kenseth is the luckiest dog in the NASCAR series for getting his win last week at Daytona. Everyone knows that anything can and most likely will happend there.
Too bad Dale Sr isnt still around to show your boyz really how to race.. Jimmy Johnson is the man to beat pretty much everywhere til someone beats him. But I do love Dale Jr, but he will NEVER B His Daddy for sure.

P.S.
Kyle Busch is such a prick!!
I hope he wrecks 1st lap...

Matt Kenseth lucky? :jawdrop:

Dave - Kenseth is a damned good driver who grits out every race. While it is well known around here that I am a Hendricks gal (JJ, Gordon, Jr.) - if one of my boyz isn't up there in that final lap and Kenseth is, I'm behind him. :thumbsup:

I can't disagree with you on Ears #2 - both of the ear brothers are pompous wads.

tony hipchest
02-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Matt Kenseth lucky? :jawdrop:

Dave - Kenseth is a damned good driver who grits out every race. While it is well known around here that I am a Hendricks gal (JJ, Gordon, Jr.) - if one of my boyz isn't up there in that final lap and Kenseth is, I'm behind him. :thumbsup:

I can't disagree with you on Ears #2 - both of the ear brothers are pompous wads.

bush bros. pompous wads? :jawdrop:

bush sr. has been humbled since being shipped to penske, and kurt jr. just knows he is good.

tony hipchest
02-22-2009, 05:27 PM
angie harmon is so pumped up after waving the green flag.

thats hot.

no mention of tag-along jason sehorn, who is up there with her.

HometownGal
02-22-2009, 05:59 PM
bush bros. pompous wads? :jawdrop:

bush sr. has been humbled since being shipped to penske, and kurt jr. just knows he is good.

Sorry, Tony - I don't and never have liked either of the Ears Brothers. They both always came across as arrogant asses, though I can't dispute the fact that they are both formidable on the track.

Fire Haley
02-22-2009, 11:10 PM
Pound it to them Matt!

Woo-hoo!!

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nascar/2009/news/headlines/cup/02/22/post.race.mkenseth.wins.fontana/kenseth.1.665.jpg

Jeffy was being awfully nice - we haven't forgotten Michigan though.

Q. Can you talk about Matt's ability to not beat himself. What does it mean to a driver to win the first two races of the season?

JEFF GORDON: Well, Daytona is such a different type of race, restrictor plate racing. Last week it was about staying away from the crash, being there at the right time, making the move. You got to give those guys credit for being in the position they were in when the rain came and the caution. But still a great race for him.

You know, tonight was to me a sign of what we were gonna see more of this season. Those guys were incredible in the pits. I mean, he was good on the track. They made some good adjustments. But I feel like if they didn't get out front, it would have been a different race. They're off to a great start. I think they're going to be really strong this year.

I have so much respect for Matt. We've had our differences over time, but I've always had a ton of respect for what kind of racecar driver he is. I tell you, you know, you can say that the pit crew won him the race tonight, but Matt didn't make one mistake.

I put a lot of heat on him. I drove as hard as I've driven in a long time. He didn't make any mistakes. Maybe one little slip up, but just wasn't enough for me to do anything with him.

So, you know, give those guys a lot of credit.

http://www.race2win.net/wc/09/race/acs/cpr.html

tony hipchest
02-22-2009, 11:11 PM
im serious when i say it...

kenseth carries momentum as well as anyone.

he did this a few years ago so im not suprised.

(im more amazed bush sr. is right there in pts. and more bummed i dont get free curly fries for the 2nd week in a row)

:banging:

tony hipchest
02-22-2009, 11:16 PM
:coffee:

not caring too much about what jeffy thinks about matts win.

despite how many champs he woulda won under the old points system he is still 2nd fiddle to jimmy (and nobody cares what he has to say either)

:tt02:

Fire Haley
02-22-2009, 11:20 PM
Vegas is another good track for Matt.

3-PEAT!!!

The Bee's can do it again.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0222/rpm_a_kenseth-crew01_600.jpg

HometownGal
02-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Though he beat my guy, I'm happy for Kenseth! :drink: I guess he was just "lucky" again, huh? :toofunny::toofunny:

revefsreleets
02-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Kenseth running well spells trouble for the other drivers.

Gordon will, IMO, win his 5th this year. He's healthy, happy, team is firing on all cylinders, and he's hungry again.

Fire Haley
02-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Not all the Hendricks cars were "firing on all cylinders".

Did Mark and Jr get the junkbin motor parts kit from Hendricks? I didn't see Jimmy and Jeffy done blowed up - what's up with that?

revefsreleets
02-23-2009, 11:51 AM
I meant "The team" as in Gordon's team.

He's as happy and confident as I've seen him in a few years.

Fire Haley
02-23-2009, 11:55 AM
You want to see happy? Look at me!!!

My team won the SB and my driver won the first two races.

It's good to be the King!

Fire Haley
02-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Bring it on!

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nascar/2009/news/features/02/26/numbers.cup.las.vegas/kenseth.665.jpg

HometownGal
03-02-2009, 06:33 AM
Ears #2 wins at yesterday's Shelby 427 in Las Vegas.

1 Kyle Busch
2 Clint Bowyer
3 Jeff Burton
4 David Reutimann
5 Bobby Labonte
6 Jeff Gordon
7 Greg Biffle
8 Brian Vickers
9 Jamie McMurray
10 Dale Earnhardt, Jr.

Fire Haley
03-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Life sucks, then you die.

revefsreleets
03-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Lookie who's in first place...hmmmm...the beginning of a great season?
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/cup/standings

2 +10 Jeff Gordon 454 -5 3 0 1 2 0 402 78 $648,861
6 -2 Clint Bowyer 436 -23 3 0 2 2 0 401 0 $726,013
1 -- Matt Kenseth 419 -40 3 2 2 2 0 402 91 $1,922,003
5 +15 Greg Biffle 414 -45 3 0 1 2 0 402 16 $494,063
12 +1 David Reutimann 408 -51 3 0 1 1 0 402 0 $467,869
18 +20 Kyle Busch 400 -59 3 1 2 2 1 373 88 $602,330
3 +8 Kurt Busch 388 -71 3 0 1 2 0 402 2 $502,613
4 +3 Tony Stewart 379 -80 3 0 0 2 0 402 18 $571,119
9 +9 Carl Edwards 372 -87 3 0 0 1 0 402 1 $528,635

Fire Haley
03-02-2009, 09:43 AM
Tits

tony hipchest
03-02-2009, 10:10 AM
still cant figure out how reutimann and labonte snuck in the top 5. gordons car was shredded- impressive 6th place finish. i thought he was done.

HometownGal
03-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Lookie who's in first place...hmmmm...the beginning of a great season?
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/cup/standings

2 +10 Jeff Gordon 454 -5 3 0 1 2 0 402 78 $648,861
6 -2 Clint Bowyer 436 -23 3 0 2 2 0 401 0 $726,013
1 -- Matt Kenseth 419 -40 3 2 2 2 0 402 91 $1,922,003
5 +15 Greg Biffle 414 -45 3 0 1 2 0 402 16 $494,063
12 +1 David Reutimann 408 -51 3 0 1 1 0 402 0 $467,869
18 +20 Kyle Busch 400 -59 3 1 2 2 1 373 88 $602,330
3 +8 Kurt Busch 388 -71 3 0 1 2 0 402 2 $502,613
4 +3 Tony Stewart 379 -80 3 0 0 2 0 402 18 $571,119
9 +9 Carl Edwards 372 -87 3 0 0 1 0 402 1 $528,635

:applaudit: :banana: :applaudit:

revefsreleets
03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
He's gonna win #5 this year.

You heard it here first:applaudit:

tony hipchest
03-08-2009, 06:43 PM
havent seen the blue duce completely dominate an entire race like that in quite a while. :tt02:

i know... kurt/rusty or ryan is the nascar equivalent of obama or the ravens around here but it was still a great win.

jeff was the only one who could sniff him with about 150 to go and that was quickly snuffed out. that high line was working hella good.

nice "darlington stripe" too!

cant wait for bristol.

Fire Haley
03-08-2009, 09:22 PM
A week off till Bristol.

At least we didn't have another DNF 'done blowed up', I'll take it.

http://media2.thatsracin.com/smedia/2009/03/08/16/486-85215807JH004_KOBALT_TOOLS_.standalone.prod_affili ate.158.JPG

Fire Haley
03-08-2009, 10:41 PM
MATT KENSETH – No. 17 DeWalt Ford Fusion (Finished 12th) – “We weren’t very good all day. We short-pitted there a little bit, which actually kept us one lap down instead of two laps down. That was a big part of us getting our lap back, but we just ran really terrible. I ran out of gas at the end and lost all of our track position doing that. It was just a terrible day and really not a very good weekend for us.”

WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT THE CREW GUY IN THE INFIELD? “I didn’t see it. I just heard about it, I didn’t see it. If there’s a tire in the infield, they’re probably gonna throw the caution too, eventually, and probably let everybody cycle through.

"Maybe he’s new. Maybe he hasn’t seen us drive, but we tend to wreck a lot. I wouldn’t want to be out in the middle of that grass.”

That's hilarious!

tony hipchest
03-08-2009, 10:50 PM
sorry, but matt kenseth is officially boring now (i.e. taylor hicks winning "american idol") plus he no longer gives out free arby fries. :yawn:

hit us up on his next win though!

blue deuce baby! :tt02:

Fire Haley
03-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Good thing Mark Martin has one of those miracle Hendricks cars, Bristol is a nervous place for those trying to stay in the top 35.

34 Mark Martin 286 -348
35 Aric Almirola 277 -357
36 David Gilliland 276 -358
37 Scott Speed* 256 -378

revefsreleets
03-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Gordon with another strong finish. That team looks real, real good this year.

Fire Haley
03-09-2009, 11:12 AM
For the 45th straight race, Jeffy failed to win on Sunday, I can't complain.

revefsreleets
03-09-2009, 11:45 AM
IF any driver would know that wins don't equate to championships, it'd be Matt Kenseth. What did he win, one race the year he won the cup?

tony hipchest
03-09-2009, 12:03 PM
ouch- (you know its bad when even the drivers are shilling their respective makers automobiles in victory lane and post race interviews, now.)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/9306974/Bad-economy-wins-out-over-great-weather-at-AMS

HAMPTON, Ga. (AP) - Big patches of empty seats under the Atlanta Motor Speedway press box on Sunday prompted Jeff Gordon to say he was "a little baffled."

"I know there's a lot of race fans around here," Gordon said. "I've been hearing that they were going to have some empty seats. It's hard to say. It's really hard to say. ... This place should be packed."

Observers estimated the stands were no more than two-thirds filled for the NASCAR event, and total capacity is about 125,000. The listed attendance was 94,400.

There were hopes attendance would be boosted by great weather, but one week after a snowstorm, not even temperatures in the high 70s could fill the seats.

It was more proof of the economic downturn's impact on sports.

"We are far from immune from what's going on in our economy," said Carl Edwards, who finished third.

"It's too bad there aren't more fans in the grandstands, but I feel like my responsibility ... is to go out there and race as hard as we can, deliver for our marketing partners and deliver for our fans, and do the best we can and hope the economy comes back up and those stands get more full. But there's nothing we can do about it. I'm just glad for the fans that are here."

The least expensive ticket for the race was $39.

Atlanta Motor Speedway has two races on the NASCAR schedule, including a fall race that has moved to Labor Day weekend.

"Atlanta has had a tough time," said Dale Earnhardt Jr. "You'd think that this place would do really well. I love it. I love coming here. ... I would hate to see them lose a race, which I ain't saying they will. ... It is a great race track with a lot of history."

kudos to nascar for immediately escorting the bonehead crewmwmber who ran onto the infield offa track premises.

Fire Haley
03-09-2009, 12:23 PM
IF any driver would know that wins don't equate to championships, it'd be Matt Kenseth. What did he win, one race the year he won the cup?

That was before they created The Chase to keep him from winning another.

As far as the Atlanta crowd, they never sell out - even in "good" years.

I wonder if Bristol will have empty seats.

I blame nascar for turning their backs on traditional, historic tracks such as Darlington and Rockingham.

tony hipchest
03-20-2009, 12:04 AM
gotta love bristol weekend. to ensure the league leading 53rd sell-out bristol is bringing back RUSTY!

he was just added to the charitable legends race to be held saturday night. (espn2 6pm est)

http://nascar.rbma.com/on-track/general-motorsports/14182-its-a-saturday-night--special

The Food City 500 isn't the only attraction at Bristol Motor Speedway this weekend. Oh, yeah, there's the Scotts Turf Builder 300. That's not all, either.

Earlier this year Jeff Byrd, president of BMS, said he wasn't going to lower ticket prices; he was going to give the fans more for their money.

The Saturday Night Special is one of those activities. It's a Late Model race after the Nationwide Series race. It's scheduled for 6 p.m. ESPN2 is going to televise it.

Why would ESPN2 televise a Late Model race amidst with all the basketball and baseball and golf and, uh, rodeo going on? Well, Junior Johnson's racing. So is Harry Gant. And Jack Ingram. Those three actually tested at Bristol earlier this week. Cale Yarborough's in the field, too. David Pearson had to back out because of an ailing back and will be replaced by his son Larry, who won the Busch (now Nationwide) Series championship twice. There's also a celebrity race.

Johnson may be the most legendary character in NASCAR history. He won at Bristol ... in 1965. Cars he owned won 21 Bristol races, a total slightly more than twice as high as anyone else.

"I really can't see how it has changed much," said Johnson. "Maybe it has. I ran seven laps at Tri-County (N.C. short track) a few days ago to practice. First time I've been in a race car in 45 years. It feels the same and everything as it did when I quit."

That Junior. He exaggerates. He was really in a race car 43 years ago. He'll turn 78 on June 28.

cale yarborough, harry gant, waltrip(?), labonte, marlin...

good deal! :thumbsup: rusty should mop up the field and was reportedly running smack in the garage. it was said he also had his car in the wind tunnel and was treating this like the daytona 500. :chuckle:

i watched bits and pieces of the busch 500 replay from'87 the other day. holy shit has the track changed. there was actually plenty of stretches where there was NO seats or bleachers. :jawdrop:

this will be jeff gordons 550th race started. :jawdrop: (i cant believe i have watched 550 races.) ive watched more races than steeler games! holy cow, and nascar is my "newest" sport. gotta love a 40 week season. :tt02:

tony hipchest
03-21-2009, 05:20 PM
ned jarrett back in the booth with dale. very cool.

looks like rusty has been testing and ready to mop up the field (as dale says hes spent a ton of $$$)

. poor jimmy spencer wrecked his hero junior johnson in practice. LOL i wonder if JJ punched him.

great to see harry gant in the green #33.

too bad the silver fox cant be in it with a bad back.

tony hipchest
03-21-2009, 05:47 PM
it was RIGGED! how the hell could boomhauer beat rusty?

good stuff. look for kurt to redeem the blue deuce on sunday.

Fire Haley
03-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Is this the thread where we predict which lap Mark Martin will crash in?

tony hipchest
03-21-2009, 08:49 PM
yeah...

i mean, no. :confused:

Fire Haley
03-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Bristol, baby!

I just hope we survive the first half of the race in one piece on the lead lap.

Is that too much to ask for?

Fire Haley
03-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Shrub pulls another one out.

Matt falls to 10th spot.

-5 Matt Kenseth 610 - 184

revefsreleets
03-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Gordon 4th....

I'll take top 5's all day long.

Fire Haley
03-22-2009, 04:50 PM
I just hope we survive the first half of the race in one piece on the lead lap.

Is that too much to ask for?

Allow me to answer that.

Yes - yes it was too much to ask of the racing gods.

When your car sucks that bad - there's only one thing to do...

Fire the Engineer!

revefsreleets
04-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Texas: CHECK!

Only Homestead left for him to complete the sweep!

Cup #5 this year!

HometownGal
04-06-2009, 09:00 AM
I was very happy to see that my boy won at Texas! :banana: Jimmie finished in the #2 position - excellent! :drink:

revefsreleets
04-06-2009, 09:27 AM
"They cheated!"

< Hendrick Haters >

Fire Haley
04-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Carl and Biff blew it in the pits.

After the last couple of short track races, a Top 5 for Matt seems like a win.

I'll take it.

tony hipchest
04-26-2009, 01:34 PM
gotta love talladega!

the "big one" comes at lap 8, and 10 cars are junk.

i wonder if gordon will try to punch kenseth.

tony hipchest
04-26-2009, 07:59 PM
s. speed, keselowski, and ambrose come away with top 5 finishes.

"what the hell is going on, out here!?!?!"

oh, and kurt bush piloting the beautiful blue duce (that doesnt need a silly paint scheme change every week to drum up $$$interrest$$$) seizes the points lead. :smile:

reports are jeff gordons back is hurting and his kid is keeping him up late at night.

oh well, maybe next year jeffy..... or better yet, when JJ retires. :laughing:

*eagerly awaiting post that contains the word "hater"*

:sofunny:

Fire Haley
05-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Shrub wins another and Matt pulls another steath ninja act and gets a 13th at Richmond. It could have been worse.

http://www.mattkenseth.com/photos/2009/10Ric/ASP-D9RICS22587MT-cr.jpg

T&B fan
05-03-2009, 08:31 AM
can someone help .. last nights race . dale jr was in like 22nd last car on the lead lap . why did he not stay out to lead a lap then come in when the laped cars come in on the next lap . or am i missing something :noidea:
not that 5 points is going to make him a top car but 5 points here and there might just get him in the chase ??? he ended up frist car 1 lap down and 27th not much would have changed IMO . only 5 more points that he needs very bad .

Fire Haley
05-03-2009, 10:25 AM
From what I remember, Jr was nowhere near in a position to lead a lap, he was a lap down or close to it pretty much the whole race and that's where he finished.

But with the half dozen wrecks in the last 80 laps it was hard to tell - Looked like bumper cars out there for a while. I wonder if the threat of rain was making everyone drive crazy.

For a while I thought the ticker was still set to Talladega. Matt was 21st then he was 16th then he was 25th then he was 13th. Tire and pit strategies and some stealth nija moves were all over the place, sometimes there were only 8 cars on the lead lap, then there were 25.

T&B fan
05-03-2009, 01:34 PM
From what I remember, Jr was nowhere near in a position to lead a lap, he was a lap down or close to it pretty much the whole race and that's where he finished.

But with the half dozen wrecks in the last 80 laps it was hard to tell - Looked like bumper cars out there for a while. I wonder if the threat of rain was making everyone drive crazy.

For a while I thought the ticker was still set to Talladega. Matt was 21st then he was 16th then he was 25th then he was 13th. Tire and pit strategies and some stealth nija moves were all over the place, sometimes there were only 8 cars on the lead lap, then there were 25.

it was back around the 3 or 4th caution ... and yes the end was wild . 8 cars then 25 I was looking for the rewind on the TV to see what happend .
:rofl: :rofl:steath Nija moves :rofl::rofl:

revefsreleets
05-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Shrub quickest EVER to 50 wins.

Junior WHO?

I said it before and will say it again, Busch the younger may be the best driver in NASCAR...

Fire Haley
05-07-2009, 04:15 PM
So Hendricks traded Kyle for that other guy that sells lots of t-shirts.

Fire Haley
05-08-2009, 10:03 PM
A pole run and a win? I'll take it!

The racing gods are smiling again.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nascar/2009/news/headlines/bg/05/08/post.race.nwide.darlington.mkenseth.wins/Matt.Kenseth.665.jpg

tony hipchest
05-09-2009, 05:16 PM
jeremy mayfield was suspended indefinitely for violationg the 0 tolerance substance policy. (it wasnt alcohol, which they dont test for.)

kinda disappointing in light of the kevin grubb situation.

mayfield didnt even have a ride 3 weeks before daytona. im thinking his career may be done.

Fire Haley
05-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Busted and done.

He was on his way out anyway, must been a good party.

Galax Steeler
05-10-2009, 06:30 AM
I don't know why all these profesional athalets do this they know what the rules are and they still do it and get busted.

Fire Haley
05-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Congrats to MM - the old fart gets a win + moves into Chase contention.

...and Joonyur slides through his pit and spins out again.

Joey Logano looks like a racer, good job.

Fire Haley
05-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Line of the race from Matt....

"If you guys don't get this car fixed I'm gonna be flipping pancakes at IHOP next week!"

tony hipchest
05-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Joey Logano looks like a racer, good job.how bout brad keselowski. he's looking like the real deal and is pretty damn good infront of the camera.

congrats to sam hornish jr. for his 1st win. i know its just a heat race, but if i remember correctly, thats how ryan newman jump started his career.

whether hornish can actually win the actual all star event remains to be seen. (i doubt it). his car was super fast though. bout time the 3rd penske car do something other than suck.

tony hipchest
05-16-2009, 09:54 PM
ryan newman made a move like "Mine that Bird" and is completely robbed of the lead thanks to busch jr. and gordon wrecking.

complete BS. great all-star race though. with less than 10 laps, it will definitely be "checkers or wreckers".

newman was robbed getting thrown into the wall, so im pulling for him for redemption.

tony hipchest
05-16-2009, 10:02 PM
welp, since newman goes to the garage, busch sr. or kenseth better pull this out.

EDIT- dammit... kenseth got "smoked". shoulda been newmans victory. good win by stewart though, and a hell of an all star race.

by far and away, the best of any all star events. i still cant believe this one has been relegated to the speed channel- i mean wtf else does FOX have to broadcast tonight?

kudos to stewart for saying ryan newman shoulda won the race and he woulda been just as happy. him slobbing hendricks knob immediately after that had me gagging a bit though.

WHOOOOOOOOOO! rick flair... :chuckle: (just had to add that)

Fire Haley
05-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Here's something you don't see every day - Daytona Speedway flooded

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs013.snc1/4204_1143368152446_1474757643_30366105_8282075_n.j pg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs013.snc1/4204_1143368272449_1474757643_30366108_6232851_n.j pg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs013.snc1/4204_1143368232448_1474757643_30366107_622348_n.jp g

tony hipchest
05-22-2009, 08:10 PM
:jawdrop:

holy f*(&^*! sh*&!!!!

what the hell happened? thats like a 2.5 mile lake. and here in the southwest that is HUGE!

Fire Haley
05-23-2009, 11:37 AM
We have been sitting in the middle of one of them slow moving subtropical stormfronts for almost a week.

I guess you don't watch the Weather Channel.

It does rain here in FL - we are a swamp for a reason, ya know.

(I should let the rest of yinz see this - nobody comes around here anymore)

Fire Haley
05-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Go Matt Go!

wow - I come in just in time to see Billy Bad Butt kiss the ground at Tony's feet. Classic!

Welcome to the Coca Cola 1000

Up to 6th on yet another rain delay

tony hipchest
05-25-2009, 05:56 PM
the only thing that sucks more than a delayed race on sunday, is a rain shortened race on monday.

congrats to reutimann and team waltrip for both their 1st victory.

what a long, drawn out race weekend.

sitting in the car that long definitely cant be good for jeffys back.

looks like "reports" of him being healed and happy were grossly overexaggerated.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/9588488/Gordon:-Back-pain-could-'shorten-my-career'

Gordon: Back pain could 'shorten my career'

CONCORD, N.C. (AP) - Jeff Gordon found himself thinking about his back instead of his car. After hours of agony behind the wheel at Bristol Motor Speedway in March, Gordon wondered how much longer he could fight the pain.

"If my back was the way it was at Bristol this year, it's definitely going to shorten my career," Gordon said Thursday. "I can't race like that."

The Sprint Cup points leader began a series of tests, which revealed minor arthritis and other issues. That led to a procedure on Monday that called for an injection of lidocaine or anti-inflammatory medication.

So far, so good as Gordon prepares for Sunday's Coca-Cola 600, a 400-lap, marathon night of endurance behind the wheel in NASCAR's longest race.

"I feel pretty good. They said it's going to take six or seven days for it to have its full impact," Gordon said. "Today in the car, yesterday in the go-kart event, I was feeling pretty good. I'm pretty happy so far with the results. Hopefully we can resolve what's going on."

The 37-year-old Gordon acknowledged he may have taken too long to address the issue. He drove in pain throughout a winless 2008, his first season without a victory since he was a rookie 16 years ago.

Stopping the pain was an offseason priority that led Gordon to start a new fitness program.

"I'm in the best shape I can ever remember being in. But all of the things I had been doing, the stretches, the fitness workouts, none of those things were making my back any better," Gordon said. "We tried things in the seat, lumbar supports and all those things."

Gordon said an MRI showed the arthritis and long-term back issues possibly related to trauma from a past crash

The pain increases when Gordon is on a short track like Bristol or road course when there is extra and he has to brake often. It's not as bad when Gordon is at longer tracks like the 1.5-mile Lowe's Motor Speedway, where he spent last week and races on Sunday. But Gordon said now was the time to get treatment.

"The other night, even though it was 100 laps, I really wasn't in too bad of shape," Gordon said

Fire Haley
05-25-2009, 10:43 PM
Yeah - rainouts suck.

But, Tony was whining about Reutimann racing him so hard early, and then he winds up winning the race, priceless.

The whole broadcasting crew backed Tony up too when he said that David didn't yet "know his place".
ha ha!

And on another note - Joey Logano is only 80 pts back of Jr now.

I predict when Joey passes him that Jr Nation will officially collapse.

tony hipchest
05-25-2009, 11:20 PM
that was hilarious. i guess DW forgot about all of stewarts aggressive driving as he called him a veteran all youngsters can learn from.

stewart will put a competitor in the grass at daytona (mike skinner) for nothing more than driving for a rival sponsor.

the broadcasting crew backing tony is about the equivalent of nfl guys backing TO for calling out a teammate.

hilarious.

that my biggest problem with stewart, that he thinks he's the only one who is allowed to act like a jackass on the track.

hes better off as a driver as opposed to a coach, regardless how many irl/cup championships he has won.

Fire Haley
05-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Oh well - next up, sunny Dover - the last race on FOX for awhile.

Back to TNT - the Bill Weber & Wally Dallenbach clan. ugh

Fire Haley
05-28-2009, 09:50 AM
You knew it was gonna happen....

Eury Jr. out as crew chief for slumping Earnhardt

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. will have a new crew chief starting with this weekend's race at Dover.

The team said Thursday that Tony Eury Jr. has been replaced as crew chief of Earnhardt's No. 88 team. The two are cousins and have worked together Earnhardt's entire career.

They left Dale Earnhardt Inc. last season to drive for Hendrick Motorsports, but they've yet to find consistency despite driving for NASCAR's top team.

They have one win in 48 races with Hendrick and are 19th in points. They hit rock bottom with Monday's 40th-place finish at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

tony hipchest
05-29-2009, 12:24 AM
the good thing is, hendrick can afford a 'Neck to English translator for jr to be able to communicate with his new 'chief.

too bad they cant take back that dude they gave to tony stewart.

Fire Haley
05-31-2009, 11:38 AM
The Monster Mile

Kyle Kyle - losing two races in the final laps in one day with blown tires - and he runs off into the night holding his tongue.

Tires were blowing at 30 laps like clockwork in the Nationwide race all day long - no surprise there.

The #1 AND #2 trucks blow right fronts at the same time in the same corner? Pretty amazing.

I couldn't figure out why Joey was apologizing. It was a classy thing for the kid to do, but unecessary.

With 2 laps to go on a restart, it was time to GO, Kyle faltered and Joey was right on his bumper - he had a reasonable expectation for Kyle to get going and he when he didn't Joey lost his own momentum in the tangle-up. If anything - Kyle must have known his tire was going down and should have gotten out of the way - Congrats to Brad for being in the right spot to capitalize and win.

That's racin'.

Fire Haley
06-06-2009, 01:19 PM
NASCAR changing restarts to double-file for Cup

LONG POND, Pa. – As expected, NASCAR unveiled plans Thursday to begin using double-file restarts with lead-lap cars up front beginning with Sunday's Pocono 500 at Pocono Raceway.

Under the previous format, cars on the lead lap would restart in a single-file line while cars that had been lapped would start in a line next to them

With the change, the race leader can choose to restart in the inside or outside lane and the second-place driver would restart next to the leader. But drivers in odd-numbered starting positions would always restart in the inside lane and drivers in even-numbered spots the outside.

http://www.thatsracin.com/140/story/10864.html

-----------------------------

Bout time!

How many times since the inception of the Lucky Dog has a driver actually RACED to get his lap back anyway?

I know Matt has gotten stuck behind lap down cars on re-starts in say 4th or 5th place and by the time he's cleared the traffic, the leader has checked out.

I like the change, let the leaders battle it out up front.

JackHammer
06-09-2009, 10:45 PM
So it seems Mayfield was on Methamphetamine. (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=4245969) METHAMPHETAMINE. I honestly don't know what to say.

Galax Steeler
06-10-2009, 04:24 AM
So it seems Mayfield was on Methamphetamine. (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/nascar/cup/news/story?id=4245969) METHAMPHETAMINE. I honestly don't know what to say.

If this is what he was on then he deserves what he gets he knows the rules.

Fire Haley
06-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Who cares.

Meeeeechigan!

Let the show begin!

http://media.thatsracin.com/smedia/2009/06/11/09/817-061109inside_mo_1.standalone.prod_affiliate.158.jp g

tony hipchest
06-28-2009, 03:24 PM
its about time for kurt bush to quit playing mr. nice guy.

JJ punts him last week for nothing more than being in the top 5 in points and a threat to win the race, and today, jeff gordon is threatening to punt him for driving him too hard on the new double file restarts, being in the top 5 in points, and (again) a threat to win the race.

wah.

with JJ and JG up front, its just a matter of time.

bush should revert back in time and take notes from his brother. being "gentlemanly" gets you nowhere. until then he is a sitting duck.

tony hipchest
06-28-2009, 06:00 PM
joey legano becomes youngest cup series winner in history (surpassing kyle bush) at the age of 19. im no huge gibbs fan, but what he has accomplished in the nfl and nascar is quite impressive. he's definitely got a nose for talent. congrats to the kid.

nice "nudge" gordon gave kurt bush in the post race interviews. i didnt get to hear what JJ had to say but i was glad to see bush get loose, and nearly put him into the wall by simply holding his ground and saving the car. im sure JJ was whining too loudly to even be put on camera. oh well.

heres to next week. :cheers: cant wait for the firecracker 400 (even though i will have to watch it on delay).

TackleMeBen
06-28-2009, 07:51 PM
you have to give it gibbs on picking good talent.

Fire Haley
07-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Bill Weber gets the boot - won't be back.
Some may rejoice...

Bill Weber will not be part of TNT's NASCAR coverage of the Cup Series for the network's last two races.

Ralph Sheheen will handle play-by-play duties for The Coke Zero 400 in Daytona and the LifeLock.com 400 from Chicagoland.

Sheheen will be calling the races alongside analysts Kyle Petty and Wally Dallenbach in the booth.

Fire Haley
07-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Mayfield suspension lifted

A judge has lifted Jeremy Mayfield's suspension, saying the driver should be allowed to race. U.S. District Court Judge Graham Mullen says "the court finds the harm to Mr. Mayfield significantly outweighs any harm to NASCAR."

http://www.nascar.com/news/

TackleMeBen
07-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Bill Weber gets the boot - won't be back.
Some may rejoice...

Bill Weber will not be part of TNT's NASCAR coverage of the Cup Series for the network's last two races.

Ralph Sheheen will handle play-by-play duties for The Coke Zero 400 in Daytona and the LifeLock.com 400 from Chicagoland.

Sheheen will be calling the races alongside analysts Kyle Petty and Wally Dallenbach in the booth.
i hated weber, which is why i wouldnt watch the races on tnt. wonder what he did to get the boot though? i heard something about him getting into a shouting match with someone at his hotel on friday night.

tony hipchest
07-01-2009, 10:35 PM
manny, moe, and jack always sucked on tnt. kyle petty is an upgrade, but he gets lost in the dullness of wally and weber.

i dont see how sheheen helps.

buddy baker had the most horrible TV voice ever. i sure miss the days of him calling races.

the booth definitely misses benny parsons, and if fox isnt calling the races, desperately needs r. wallace.

J Dogg
07-04-2009, 08:42 PM
There's a G on the end of the word racing Kyle!

I don't know who annoys me more.....inbred Rusty Wallace or Kyle Petty.

Fire Haley
07-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Another crashfest finish!

Shrub tried to block Stewart's last move, and it was him who ended up in the wall. It was amazing we weren't taken out too. Shrub is lucky to be walking - he got ker-splotted a couple of times.

Matt survived 3 extremely close calls with cars wrecking all around him,
a Top 10 is almost like a win, (and we'll take the 5 bonus points too) he didn't really have the car to fight for the finish.

Galax Steeler
07-05-2009, 08:08 AM
That was funny seeing Busch in the wall on the final lap. He finally got some of his own medicine.:rofl:

J Dogg
07-05-2009, 08:10 AM
Kyle Busch takes his fair share of hard hits, and he had this one coming.

His spotter should have screaming bloody murder when he tried to slide up in front of Stewart.

Galax Steeler
07-06-2009, 06:52 AM
His spotter should have screaming bloody murder when he tried to slide up in front of Stewart.

His spotter probably did but he wanted to try and be a hero and it didn't work.:laughing:

Fire Haley
07-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Congrats to the old man MM, but

Nascrap racing sucks - there's only one person who can save us from the drudgery of the COT...

Dan-i-ca!

Dan-i-ca!

I demand entertainment.

Dan-i-ca!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QNnB2KEOl5g/Shl6fpk4tSI/AAAAAAAAAAM/in2zRALfzVE/s400/danica.patrick.si.blog.jpg

tony hipchest
07-16-2009, 06:22 PM
now i really dont know who is the bigger piece of shit...

jimmie johnson or jeremy mayfield. :noidea: mayfield fails another meth test this week and his step mother releases an affidavit yesterday saying she saw jeremy doing meth atleast 30 times in the past 7 years.

coincidentally jimmie has punted drivers and/or caused atleast 30 wrecks in the past 7 years too.

both are a hazard to other drivers and should never be allowed on the track again.

but jeremy is a mess. he needs rehab big time.

Fire Haley
07-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Whatever - the COT is still ruining racing.

My friend just sold his Bristol tickets.
They ain't even sold out anymore.

J Dogg
08-02-2009, 09:07 AM
The COT isn't ruining racing, corporate puppets like Mark Martin and Jimmie Johnson are.

Say what you want about Busch and Stewart, but those cats bring some excitement and color to the races. I swear, you could tape one Mark Martin interview and play it every time the guy gets a mic shoved in his botoxed face.

revefsreleets
08-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Been awhile since I ventured into this thread....and it's obvious to me why after reading only a few posts...

Same old complaints.
Same old conspiracy theories.
Same old haters with the same old hate.

My favorite hypocrisy is how Dale Earnhardt Sr. was the greatest driver ever because he just basically wrecked everyone around him, but someone like Jimmie Johnson is an overrated punk because he sometimes wrecks people who are IN his way. Yet, when Tony Stewart does the SAME EXACT THING it's again somehow alright.

Ohhhhhhkaaaaaaaay....

KeiselPower99
08-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Been awhile since I ventured into this thread....and it's obvious to me why after reading only a few posts...

Same old complaints.
Same old conspiracy theories.
Same old haters with the same old hate.

My favorite hypocrisy is how Dale Earnhardt Sr. was the greatest driver ever because he just basically wrecked everyone around him, but someone like Jimmie Johnson is an overrated punk because he sometimes wrecks people who are IN his way. Yet, when Tony Stewart does the SAME EXACT THING it's again somehow alright.

Ohhhhhhkaaaaaaaay....

:thumbsup: Im not even a racing fan but I even see that.

tony hipchest
08-10-2009, 06:18 PM
hellacious wreck today at the Helluva Good 500 between jeff and hornish jr.

hella good to see both drivers get out of their car.

this was one of those 1X/year wrecks where you trully appreciate how safe these cars really are. looked like an explosion.

"bu..bu..bu..timidator"? :laughing:

really? thats rich.

hes dead. let it go.

revefsreleets
08-11-2009, 08:21 AM
"bu..bu..bu..timidator"? :laughing:

really? thats rich.

hes dead. let it go.

What does him being dead have to do with the FACT that what was good for that goose is NOT good for this gander? He was an above average driver (certainly better than his son) but nowhere near as good as he has been idolized into being. In his way? He wrecked ya and it we were all supposed to say "Oh, that's okay, that's just how he drives" but when drivers NOT liked by the hillbilly brigade (i.e. Jimmie Johnson) bump a guy out of the way, with NO intention of wrecking the other driver, he's a no-talent punk.

Riiiiigggghhhhhtttttt.....

HometownGal
08-11-2009, 09:13 AM
The COT isn't ruining racing, corporate puppets like Mark Martin and Jimmie Johnson are.

Say what you want about Busch and Stewart, but those cats bring some excitement and color to the races. I swear, you could tape one Mark Martin interview and play it every time the guy gets a mic shoved in his botoxed face.

Sorry, J, but that 's a crock of shit.

The ear brothers are dirtbags and Stewart (though admittedly a talented driver) is a total douchenozzle. He should have been tossed out several years ago for some of the dirty, cheap shit he's pulled on other drivers, including causing spinouts and wrecks.

KeiselPower99
08-11-2009, 10:41 AM
What does him being dead have to do with the FACT that what was good for that goose is NOT good for this gander? He was an above average driver (certainly better than his son) but nowhere near as good as he has been idolized into being. In his way? He wrecked ya and it we were all supposed to say "Oh, that's okay, that's just how he drives" but when drivers NOT liked by the hillbilly brigade (i.e. Jimmie Johnson) bump a guy out of the way, with NO intention of wrecking the other driver, he's a no-talent punk.

Riiiiigggghhhhhtttttt.....

No offense but Vince Young is better at being a QB then Jr is a driver.

revefsreleets
08-11-2009, 11:03 AM
You won't offend me...he's mediocre at best.

Fire Haley
08-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Hanging on by the hairs on our chinny chin chins...

7 +2 Ryan Newman -569
8 +2 Greg Biffle -578
9 -2 Juan Montoya -589
10 +2 Mark Martin -593
11 -3 Kasey Kahne -601
12 -1 Matt Kenseth -619

13 +2 Kyle Busch -653
14 -1 Brian Vickers -658

But we survived and got a top 10 outta Bristol - I'll take it.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs162.snc1/6060_121638427009_89876227009_2260207_7944828_n.jp g

tony hipchest
09-06-2009, 06:31 PM
race on!

its been a long 2 weeks. still hard to believe there is another 12 races left. that 3 months almost equates to an entire season of football...

does anyone else still care about the jimmie johnson racing league?

Fire Haley
09-06-2009, 08:50 PM
halfway now - Matt is coming back

It's nailbiter - from going a lap down up to12th now.

Fire Haley
09-07-2009, 05:29 PM
20 juicy points to the good.

last race

I think Matt should crash Kyle and Vickers out of the chase and become the new Bad Boy.
If you watched any race video - Matt's all pissed off

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nascar/2009/news/opinion/09/07/inside.line.dcaraviello.mkenseth.atlanta/kenseth.193.jpg

Heads are gonna roll!!

If you're gonna go down, go down fighting in flames.

revefsreleets
09-08-2009, 11:36 AM
One if by land, two if by sea....Danica's coming! Danica's coming!

http://www.indianagazette.com/articles/2009/09/08/sports/10023107.txt

Finding the perfect match is not easy. Stewart seems the ideal candidate to mentor the darling of American racing.

``I can pretty much guarantee at some point she's going to be over here,'' Stewart said last weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

``She's looked me straight in the eye and said, `Hey, this is what I want to do. It looks like fun. It looks like a lot of work, but it looks like fun.' She doesn't have some misguided idea that it's going to be easy doing it. She wants to do it the right way. She has the intention of doing everything right.''

TackleMeBen
09-08-2009, 12:26 PM
how long will it take her before she throws her first fit on the track and trys to push one of the good ol' boys?

tony hipchest
09-12-2009, 07:22 PM
i love richmond under the lights on saturday with the chase, the day before the nfl opener.

its a top 5 weekend of the year for sports. (not to mention osu/usc matchup).

i think jj is assured of this win because i substitued him las minute in fantasy for edwards. if i were in vegas, i would easilly hedge my bets and throw down 20 on johnson.

kenseth is already on pit row. wouldnt be suprised for him to make a great run to secure a spot. hamlin should be good.

i like kahne again too.

i still cant predict who makes it for the chase and who is left out.

Fire Haley
09-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Congrats to Vickers - he raced his way in - and Matt and Kyle raced their way out.

I saw it coming as did many others. The team has been going downhill all year after the two wins, nobody in Roush has much of a clue about the COT. The whole organization it seems is still 2 years behind.

Poor Matt - they gave him junk and said "drive it."
No wonder he's so peed off.

You can't keep taking crap cars off the hauler, then make them worse during the race every week. Dump Blick and Chip for a start, that's what I say. Get some new blood in there. Can't be any worse.

Fire Haley
09-22-2009, 09:26 PM
as to the Chase...

GO BIFF!

Not only were you the only one to step up to help Matt to keep us in the Chase, but, I drew your name out of the hat on a $5 bet for a $500 pool.

Go Biff!!!

Christian Snyder
09-22-2009, 09:56 PM
I really hope Jimmie Johnson wins his 4th championship in a row... Go Jimmie Johnson!:applaudit:

I can't stand Tony Stewart :coffee:

tony hipchest
11-01-2009, 08:10 PM
now that talladega is over, with jimmie skating through with a 6th place finish, i can concede him the cup.

i guess the only good thing about this is it knocks the gordonites off their high horse, and they must recognize jimmie as a better "driver" than his "boss".

im just glad to see ryan newman alive. ive seen hundreds of wrecks and this was about the only one where i expected the driver to be drawn out of the car as either a cripple or a corpse.

that was a looooong 10 minutes and i had assumed the worst. kevin harvick was in the right place at the right time twice and ryan probably owes his life to him.

after dale earnhardt, i would never wish a wreck like that on my most hated driver. while i dont like the COT, kudos to all the safety measures nascar has put in place.

but did they get rid of the roof flaps that prevent a car from getting airborne once it is backwards? i didnt notice them deploy on the #39.

T&B fan
11-01-2009, 09:43 PM
now that talladega is over, with jimmie skating through with a 6th place finish, i can concede him the cup.

i guess the only good thing about this is it knocks the gordonites off their high horse, and they must recognize jimmie as a better "driver" than his "boss".

im just glad to see ryan newman alive. ive seen hundreds of wrecks and this was about the only one where i expected the driver to be drawn out of the car as either a cripple or a corpse.

that was a looooong 10 minutes and i had assumed the worst. kevin harvick was in the right place at the right time twice and ryan probably owes his life to him.

after dale earnhardt, i would never wish a wreck like that on my most hated driver. while i dont like the COT, kudos to all the safety measures nascar has put in place.

but did they get rid of the roof flaps that prevent a car from getting airborne once it is backwards? i didnt notice them deploy on the #39.

thay did open but the car was already to far gone to stop the lift . with the banking and the car dropping to the inside the angle was to fast and steep the car was in the air fast .

revefsreleets
11-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Well, that was boring.

Will Jimmie Johnson win a 6th title?

Who cares?

NASCAR is almost ruined...they need to dump the chase, dump the lucky dog, dump the new car, dump the PCness and get back to racing...

HometownGal
11-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Jimmie Johnson. :banana: :thumbsup: :banana:

revefsreleets
11-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Oh my...I can envision the anger THIS article will arouse from some of the posters on this board...:chuckle:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/from_the_marbles/post/Forget-Kobe-Tiger-Brady-Jimmie-Johnson-is-tod?urn=nascar,204180

On Sunday night, Jimmie Johnson (http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/sprint/drivers/213/) clinched his fourth straight Sprint Cup championship, and in so doing cemented his place among the greats of the sport. But he's done more than that; he's now propelled himself above and beyond NASCAR. He's the most successful athlete currently competing right now, and it's not even close.
Were this Tiger Woods snagging his fourth straight Masters, or Kobe Bryant clinching his fourth straight ring, or Tom Brady capturing his fourth straight Super Bowl, you'd be getting their greatness rammed down your throat 24/7. But this is NASCAR; the sports fan public knows they can't throw a pass 50 yards or hit a golf ball 300, but they figure they know how to drive fast and turn left. How hard could it be for Johnson to win some of those little races, huh?
Answer: plenty. Put aside the physical demands -- the intense heat of the car's interior, the physical strength needed to wheel a car for 500 miles. Even running a race -- to say nothing of winning one, or winning an entire season -- requires the mental discipline, ultrafast-twitch reflexes and utter, stone-cold fearlessness that only the best athletes possess. (And don't even start the whole "the car's the star, not the driver" nonsense. Equipment is a key element of every sport. When's the last time you saw a baseball player succeed without a bat, or a football player succeed without pads?)
So, with the playing field leveled, let's break down why Johnson is the top athlete at work today. For starters, you could argue that the level of competition in every single sport right now is the highest it's ever been. Kids train practically from birth to play one sport; sophisticated training techniques make today's marginal athletes the equivalent of yesterday's All-Stars.
Even so, Johnson has established a four-year gap between himself and his nearest competitors that's greater than any other athlete in any other sport. Nobody in any league is a prohibitive favorite; even Tiger is vulnerable these days.
Plenty of people both inside and outside NASCAR are dismissing Johnson's accomplishments, and that's too bad. They're missing out on history here. Nobody else is riding as high these days, in any sport, anywhere. And anybody who thinks it's certain to end in 2010 ... well, didn't we think that coming into 2007, 2008 and 2009?
Bandwagoners, here's a heads-up: push aside your Yankees caps, Patriots jerseys and Cowboys jackets and make room for some of Jimmie Johnson's gear. (He's the 48.) If you're the type of person who wants to jump on board a proven winning train, you've got one right here waiting for you, ready to roll.
For everyone else, take a moment -- just a moment, that's all -- to applaud what Johnson's doing here. You're not going to see anything like this again anytime soon.
_______

Christian Snyder
11-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Congratulations, Jimmie Johnson.

Fire Haley
12-02-2009, 08:16 AM
We have become Jaimie McMurray

http://www.mattkenseth.com/photos/2010/Paint/2010KensethCrownRoyal17-600.jpg

revefsreleets
01-22-2010, 09:36 PM
NASCAR is gonna let 'em race a little this year! 1989 restrictor plates. Bump drafting. Rear spoiler replacing the wing. w00t!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;_ylt=AjGqhUMEGuDS4l3649CBYGfov7YF?slug=ap-nascar-2010changes&prov=ap&type=lgns

NASCAR is relaxing some of its rules this season, and encouraging drivers to show more aggression and emotion, in large part to answer a growing fan sentiment that the sport had gone stale.

“There’s an age old saying that NASCAR, ‘If you ain’t rubbing, you ain’t racing,”’ NASCAR president Mike Helton said Thursday. “I think that’s what the NASCAR fan, the NASCAR stakeholders all bought into, and all expect.”

The first change will be evident when the season opens next month at Daytona International Speedway, where restrictions on bump-drafting will be lifted and horsepower will be increased by the use of the largest restrictor plate since 1989.

NASCAR had been slowly tightening its tolerance on bumping at Daytona and Talladega—the two biggest and fastest tracks in the series, where the horsepower-sapping restrictor plates are used to control speeds—and it graduated into an outright ban issued the morning of the November race at Talladega. The edict sucked the drama out of what’s typically one of the most exciting races of the year, and was the final straw for many race fans who had grown tired of watered-down racing.

Even some drivers publicly complained, criticism that is usually frowned upon in NASCAR.

“Let us RACE,” Denny Hamlin tweeted after the Talladega drivers meeting, later adding, “We signed up to drive our cars. Not be told how to.”

He’s getting his wish.

“We will put it back in the hands of drivers, and we will say ‘Boys, have at it and have a good time,”’ vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said Thursday.

The yellow out-of-bounds line that circles the bottom of those two tracks will remain, and Pemberton said the majority of drivers did not want that removed.

Another change coming this year will be an eventual switch from the rear wing to a spoiler on the back of the car, a design change that should both positively affect downforce and the aesthetic look that race fans prefer.

Also on tap is an organizational restructuring. The most prominent shuffle is the promotion of longtime Sprint Cup Series director John Darby into an oversight position, and NASCAR is actively looking for his replacement in a role that is effectively the top cop of the garage.

Darby’s successor could be in for a busy year, particularly if drivers answer NASCAR chairman Brian France’s call “to mix it up a little bit differently” going forward.

As NASCAR exploded over the 1990s past its small Southern roots into a billion-dollar, corporate-fueled sport, its participants seemed to morph into robotic sponsor shills too frightened to make waves. NASCAR wasn’t immune, either, and started policing on-track aggression and off-track emotion.

Intentional on-track retaliation was met with immediate punishment, while transgressions such as shoving a competitor or cursing in a television interview were met with monetary fines and/or points deductions.

Fans were incensed that the rough and tumble sport they once loved had been molded into boring, follow-the-leader racing, and their favorite drivers had become too vanilla. It wasn’t until last fall—when Hamlin waged a monthslong feud with up-and-comer Brad Keselowski, and Tony Stewart and Juan Pablo Montoya intentionally wrecked each other in the season finale—that NASCAR finally saw the lift the emotions and personalities can deliver to the sport.

So France, who in the past has been accused of being out of touch with stock car racing’s participants, began a series of offseason meetings with individual teams and drivers to poll opinion on how to re-energize the sport.

All the changes announced Thursday, as well as the promise by France that NASCAR will “loosen it up,” came from those meetings.

Still, Helton cautioned it won’t be the Wild West.

“It doesn’t mean that you get a free pass-out-of-jail card,” he said. “But it certainly means that what we are encouraging the competitors … for their character and their personality, within reason, to be unfolded.”

43Hitman
01-23-2010, 10:11 AM
When ever we start the fantasy racing league up again give me a shout, as I would love to participate again. I am done with these board for awhile. Tired of all the mud slinging and commie rules and regs that are being applied lately. Of course I'll prolly get this post edited as well, but I won't be surprised.

T&B fan
01-23-2010, 10:24 AM
“We will put it back in the hands of drivers, and we will say ‘Boys, have at it and have a good time,”’ vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said Thursday

now that is going to have to change as well ... hope they just go with the word drivers ..

as for the new rules opening up :tt03: thats a good idea faster cars more bumping good old raceing . this new car holds up prity good .

Fire Haley
01-23-2010, 01:57 PM
We need a 2010 nascar thread, this one is old.