PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Steelers Play of All Time

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2009, 06:59 AM
In your mind...what was the greatest Steelers Play of all time.

MasterOfPuppets
02-07-2009, 07:11 AM
this just ain't a fair question......:doh:

Galax Steeler
02-07-2009, 07:16 AM
One that stands out in my mind is the immaculate reception by Harris there is a bunch but that one will be hard to beat.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Franco's immaculate reception?....Swann's diving Super Bowl X catch?....Harrison's 100 yard Super Bowl pick six?

GBMelBlount
02-07-2009, 07:18 AM
Holmes super bowl catch.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Holmes super bowl catch.

I thought of that....one of my personal favorites was Polamalu's fingertip interception during the Chargers game.

steelersfanman92
02-07-2009, 08:00 AM
I have to go with the Holmes catch

Steelcitygal87
02-07-2009, 08:00 AM
I thought of that....one of my personal favorites was Polamalu's fingertip interception during the Chargers game.

I think that is mine(for now lol)probably change my mind 1000 times. That was simply a thing of beauty. What amazing concentration on the ball! I could watch that replay over and over again. :tt03::tt02:

Mr. Lost-Tooth...wouldn't this be sweet to have...... http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Football-History/dp/1600781055

CPanther95
02-07-2009, 09:03 AM
I thought Swann's sideline catch against double coverage in SB X was even more impressive than the diving catch.

But I have a hard time saying any play was "better" than the Immaculate Reception - or Harrison's Pick 6.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2009, 09:12 AM
When a Mod gets here..I will have them add a poll to the thread....(I timed out and it wouldnt take)

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2009, 09:26 AM
You Mods rock!!!

CPanther95
02-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Had to go with Franco - but the fact that Harrison's play engaged so many players on both sides of the ball makes it a very close #2.

43Hitman
02-07-2009, 09:39 AM
I would have to go with Holmes' catch. As Steve Sabol put it. "It had everything".

SC Steeler Steve
02-07-2009, 09:46 AM
I voted for Harrisons pic 6. And mine would definitely be one of these on the scale that we are talking about. but there is one more that holds a special place in my heart. It is because I have only got to see the Steelers play in person one time. It was at Erricson Stadium in Charlotte, I got to go see the Steelers play the Panthers. Anyway Kordell Stewart had the longest run from scrimmage by a QB in NFL history in that game. It was 80 yards and I was sitting about 6 rows up in the endzone that he ran into. No pun intended but when he reached the 20 yard line all I could see was the white of his teeth, he was cheeseing really hard. It was a great personal moment for me.

CPanther95
02-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Hard to argue with Sabol's reasoning for Holmes' being the best winning TD reception in NFL history (which wouldn't apply to Harrison or Swann in this poll) - but where I disagree is in the "significance". Because the Steelers lost the week after the IR in the AFCCG, he says that it diminishes it (at least in relation to the Holmes catch).

I still view the IR as the play that launched the Steelers dynasty of the 70's - despite the result that year.

43Hitman
02-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Hard to argue with Sabol's reasoning for Holmes' being the best winning TD in NFL history (which wouldn't apply to Harrison or Swann in this poll) - but where I disagree is in the "significance". Because the Steelers lost the week after the IR in the AFCCG, it diminishes it.

I still view the IR as the play that launched the Steelers dynasty of the 70's - despite the result that year.

Can't argue with that reasoning much either. It was a defining moment for the Steelers. After that play, they believed.

CPanther95
02-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I may look at the Holmes catch differently with the benefit of hindsight. If he remains with the Steelers, and is a major part of another great Steelers era, this catch will grow in significance with each additional Holmes contribution to the Steelers.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-07-2009, 10:47 AM
I think that is mine(for now lol)probably change my mind 1000 times. That was simply a thing of beauty. What amazing concentration on the ball! I could watch that replay over and over again. :tt03::tt02:

Mr. Lost-Tooth...wouldn't this be sweet to have...... http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Pittsburgh-Steelers-Football-History/dp/1600781055

Thanks!!!...i just bought myself a gift!!!!...(They might have to re-write the book after this year!!!)

St33lersguy
02-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Holmes TD catch. For it's significance

LambertIsGod58
02-07-2009, 10:52 AM
I had to vote for the Immaculate Reception...I mean, how improbable was that play? Although Holmes catch was great, it was much more likely that what Franco pulled off. Not to mention the Immaculate Reception changed the "losing" mentatily that the franchise had....and led them to 4 titles in the 70's.

Steelcitygal87
02-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks!!!...i just bought myself a gift!!!!...(They might have to re-write the book after this year!!!)

You are welcome. Yeah, that is for sure! :tt03::drink:

Hammer Of The GODS
02-07-2009, 11:33 AM
All those plays are great. All had significance. All made you stand up and go holy shyte what a play.

BUT! Only one is immaculate!

You can argue that the other plays were supposed to happen. Lynn and Santonio are supposed to catch the ball when its thrown to them. Both were great catches and are worthy of the accolades. Harrisons play to me ranks right behind Franco because even though he jumped the route and took it 100 yards you can still argue that Harrisons job was to cover that area. The run afterward makes the play unforgetable and the best play ever in a superbowl.

BUT! Francos never take a play off attitude lead him to the right spot to make that play. That play can not be duplicated if you scripted it. We have seen toe dragging catches before. We have seen multiple Swann catches that defy belief. We have seen picks returned for 100 yd TDs before. What you will never see again is a play that will live forever as IMMACULATE!

This debate will surely take on more significance if in 30+ years we are still talking about Holmes catch or Silverbacks return.

It's all relative I guess.

The beauty of it is that we as Steeler fans get to debate such things!

Glad to be born in SW PA in STEELER country! :tt:

43Hitman
02-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Very well said Hammer. How blessed are we to have so many significant things happen to our storied franchise. With so many of those things being positive.

jev7452
02-07-2009, 11:45 AM
the immaculate reception was absolutely incredible and probably the most famous catch of all time.... but i'm have to go with LB james harrison trucking 100 yds down the field, diving out of tackles, leaping over people, and rolling into the endzone on top of larry fitzgerald for the touchdown.. i was there and the entire time everyone was just in absolute shock as he got further and further down the field, defensive MVP of the year and part MVP of the super bowl in my eyes

tony hipchest
02-07-2009, 11:45 AM
:scratchchin: nobody said kordell stewarts 80 yd td run.

truth be told, if you had a list of top 50 steelers plays, kordell would have a handfull of them.

but polamalus int this year may be the best single play by an athelete in the history of sports.

better than tiger woods finest shot, or jordans best dunk. more better than ozzie smiths finest fielded ball, or wayne gretzky's best goal.

BUT theres no denying the historical significance of the immaculate reception or james harrison bitchslapping and body slamming a brownfan to the ground man.

:thumbsup:

SC Steeler Steve
02-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Another thought would be a play that started out disasterous and ended with greatness. Big Bens tackle of the colts Harper on the JB fumble. The tackle saved the SB win for us.

CPanther95
02-07-2009, 12:22 PM
The greatest day in Steelers history is January, 29 1974.

Cronos
02-07-2009, 12:38 PM
The Steelers didn't even score on the drive for Lynn Swann's "Levitating Leap" in Super Bowl X.

SC Gamecokk
02-07-2009, 04:42 PM
this is a very hard question. while the immaculate reception was such an amazing play, it didn't win us the super bowl that year. i had to go with holmes' catch because it won us a RECORD 6TH SUPERBOWL TROPHY!!!

stillers4me
02-07-2009, 04:43 PM
I'll never, ever forget "the Tackle".

Polamalu Princess
02-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Sorry - Ben's Immaculate Tackle I think is historic and should be on the list as well.

Hawkeye
02-07-2009, 05:16 PM
from what I have seen with my very own eyes

1. Holmes game winning catch
2. Harrison's immaculate interception
3. Swann ariel feats in SB X

Harrison92
02-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Holmes winning catch:thumbsup:

Morgan
02-07-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm going with the Immaculate Interception... something about 240 pound linebacker going 100 yards with a FAST and PHYSICAL receiver cheating and STILL unable to stop him from getting into the end zone...

devilsdancefloor
02-07-2009, 06:06 PM
wow itis tough picking just one lol but i think the immaculate reception!!:tt03::tt03:

Edman
02-07-2009, 06:37 PM
The immaculate reception holds a special place in Steelers history. It's something so improbable that it may never be done again in years. When Franco stepped across that goal line, Forty years of Steelers futility crumbled. Steelers Football as we know it today came alive. For the first time in as many years, the city of Pittsburgh had a football team worth cheering for. Yeah, they lost the following week, but things changed. We were not going to be losers anymore. The rest is history.

Hopefully, the Pirates can have something like that happen to them.

CPanther95
02-07-2009, 07:05 PM

Don't hold your breath, the MLB is beyond saving. Unless someone starts a league with NFL-type revenue parity, I don't think Pittsburgh will ever see something like that happen with a baseball team - certainly not as the start of a new era. At most they can sneak in a WS if everything goes their way, but they will be decimated the following year.

tony hipchest
02-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Sorry - Ben's Immaculate Tackle I think is historic and should be on the list as well.
good call! :thumbsup:

:rofl:

xFreeWord420x
02-07-2009, 07:14 PM
I will have to go with James Harrison. A 242 lb LB, razzling and dazzling 11 guys all the way up the field for 100 yard pic 6. Not to mention, he isn't even known for his coverage, or hands, but for his pure bull rush mentality. One of the greatest, if not the greatest play in SB history. That right there was the epitome of Teamwork!

BlastFurnace
02-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Rich Erenberg's MNF Touchdown run in 1984.

Dino 6 Rings
02-07-2009, 10:14 PM
I think everyone that cares about NFL History and what comes from one single big play in a Franchise's history, all agree...

The Immaculate Reception turned around the entire Franchise. That one play, turned the Steelers from the Lovable Losers, into the Future Champions.

CPanther95
02-07-2009, 11:00 PM
... and managed to really piss off John Madden to this day.

Steeldude
02-07-2009, 11:56 PM
out of the 4 choices given i went with swann because it took the most agility and concentration.

IMO, holmes' play was a catch that every NFL WR should be able to make in his sleep.

steelerNATION
02-14-2009, 01:57 AM
yeah, definetly the latest and greatest...Holmes super bowl catch

tucker6
02-14-2009, 05:47 AM
The immaculate reception because the 70's Dynasty started with that play. We might not have won the next game, but think about the what-ifs if we lose to Oakland that day.

BMSLou
02-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Harrisons interception turned the game momentum bigtime.! AND, it also helped us win the title. Unfortunatly the Immaculate reception -although awesome - didnt help get us a title. We lost the next game that season.
Santonio's catch is a close 2nd...It also helped get us the title....but didnt change the way the game was going.
We would have at least tied the card if we didnt score there.

TampaSteelerFan
02-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Gotta go with the Harrison's Immaculate Interception!

T.Richardson
02-15-2009, 12:44 PM
What about Slash's 80 yard run, I mean for a QB, thats pretty good.

Stlrs4Life
02-15-2009, 08:30 PM
I thought Swann's sideline catch against double coverage in SB X was even more impressive than the diving catch.

But I have a hard time saying any play was "better" than the Immaculate Reception - or Harrison's Pick 6.

My feelings also. The Immaculate Reception was the start that the Steelers needed.

cowboykilla
02-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Holmes super bowl catch.Ya damn skippy!! Number 10 without a doubt.

FredScott
02-15-2009, 10:28 PM
It was hard for me to choose really but I'd have to go with the Harris catch, true Holmes made an awesome catch that won them the super bowl but Francos catch was just so random that its hard to vote against it.

bratsinmybelly
02-16-2009, 12:43 AM
I went with Harrison's pick-six because it had the wow factor of the I.M. and it was in the SB. Holmes' catch is worth a look but without Harrison's play at such a critical point I don't know if SH would have even had a chance to make that catch.

SteelerFanInATL
02-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Holmes SB catch. Every kid that plays football pretends they are in that situation. But to do it. To make the game winning, come from behind catch, with seconds left to go in the game in the SB says it all for me:thumbsup::thumbsup:

steelerbackr4life
02-16-2009, 07:43 PM
As for all time I would have to cast my vote for the Imacculate reception. Up until that point the Franchise was for the most part unsuccesful on the field. After that play they and everyone else viewed them differently.

SteelCityKing
02-16-2009, 07:46 PM
i voted for the Holmes catch because if he hadn't caught that and things didn't go our way...we'd all be singing a different tune right about now. besides, i was alive when that happened and i witnessed it with my own two chick-gazers (eyes) and it was infact...amazing. =)

SteelyDon
02-18-2009, 08:28 AM
The Immaculate Reception was recently rated the greatest play in ALL of sports - not just the NFL. It eclipsed Mazeroski's homerun. So even the Non-Football, Non-Pittsburgh, Non-Steeler fan recognizes the importance of the Immaculate Reception in sports history. These other plays - while really memorable to the average Steelers fan might not even be considered when compared against all of sports. Although I would agree the Harrison play was spectacular and definitely top 5 in my Steelers memory.

The_WARDen
02-18-2009, 09:42 AM
The Immaculate Reception...it's not even close. That play turned a bunch of perennial losers into a dynasty much in the same way, The Catch began the 49ers' dynasty.

Michael Keller
02-18-2009, 10:08 AM
One that should have been on the list was Rothlisberger's tackle of the Colt's Harper after Bettis fumbled trying to go inot end zone. Ben doesn't make that tackle we might still be looking for Ring # 6 and who knows were the Bus is hiding.

Indo
02-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Here's the question you must ask-----will The Greatest Play of All Time stand the Test Of Time?

Each of the choices (and, I agree, there are others) are good candidates for the Greatest Play. But, remember, the Immaculate Reception happened on Dec. 23, 1972----that's 37 (thirty seven!!!) years ago and we are still talking about it!
Will any of the other choices be remembered almost 4 decades from now?

Will any of them be referenced on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Reception

It's not about what happened on the next play or what happened the next game. I will grant you that Swan's catch was artistry in motion and Ben's tackle saved the season and Harrison and Holmes won #6 for us...

But the Immaculate Reception Opened the Door. It's like some Big Gong or Bell or something sounded in The Cosmos/Universe when the ball bounced off of Tatum into Harris' hands as if to say

"WE ARE THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS. OUR REIGN BEGINS RIGHT NOW, AT THIS VERY MOMENT. AND WE ARE HERE TO STAY."

(read the Wikipedia reference...I did not realize that we have had only 9 losing seasons since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970-------
We are here to stay) :helmet: :tt03:

1st&Goal
02-18-2009, 12:16 PM
I don't want to minimize any of the plays listed in the poll or otherwise posted here, but I have a personal favorite which I'd like to share. This one doesn't compare in many ways with the others, but this is why it is my personal favorite. October 31, 2004. Heinz Field. Us vs. the Cheatriots. My son was 13 years old and it was his first Steeler game. The Cheatriots had the ball. Brady drops back. Brady looks, Brady sets, fires and its INTERCEPTED !! Deshea Townsend runs it back for a touchdown !! The place was insane !! My son and I looked at each other and we had a religious experience !! It was an incredibly beautiful moment. I hate the Fagliots more than any other team so it was an especially sweet moment that will stay with me forever.

Final Score: Steelers- 34 Patsies-20

StainlessStill
02-18-2009, 03:04 PM
What seperates Holme's catch from the others, is that it was the catch that won the Stillers the Super Bowl. This is a tough question. I'd have to go with Immaculate Reception #1.A and Holme's catch #1.B followed by Harrison's run back at #2.

One of my personal favorites of Steelers' catches is Ernie Mill's catch in the '95 Championship game against the Colts, tip toeing along the sidelines, catching one of the hardest catches to make over the outside shoulder, and dragging in his left foot for the reception. That will forever be pretty to my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOIO6BX19q8

WOW

LukesDad88
02-18-2009, 03:18 PM
I've gotta go with Harrison's Pick Six or The Immaculate Reception. The Immaculate Reception marked the turning point in the Steeler's history. Harrison's Pick Six was our biggest play in any SB. If he hadn't made that pick, and ran 100 yards for a score, we very likely wouldn't have won. The fourteen point swing, the timing (as the half expired), and the momentum swing all point to that play.

As far as Holmes' catch goes, it's his job to make those kind of catches. He should have made the one before it. Even if he misses it, we still have one more down. If we don't make it, we still have the fieldgoal and OT.

No, the Harrison Picksix wasone of the best plays in NFL history, let alone Steeler history.

LukesDad88
02-18-2009, 03:20 PM
IMO, the Holmes TD wasn't even his best play, let alone the best play of Steeler history, His punt return against SD was better and bigger, as was his catch and run against Baltimore.

StainlessStill
02-18-2009, 03:55 PM
I've gotta go with Harrison's Pick Six or The Immaculate Reception. The Immaculate Reception marked the turning point in the Steeler's history. Harrison's Pick Six was our biggest play in any SB. If he hadn't made that pick, and ran 100 yards for a score, we very likely wouldn't have won. The fourteen point swing, the timing (as the half expired), and the momentum swing all point to that play.

As far as Holmes' catch goes, it's his job to make those kind of catches. He should have made the one before it. Even if he misses it, we still have one more down. If we don't make it, we still have the fieldgoal and OT.

No, the Harrison Picksix wasone of the best plays in NFL history, let alone Steeler history.

XLIII was just a historic Superbowl with historic plays that will be talked about for ages. To say we would lose if Harrison doesn't pick off Warner and take it in for 6 is far-fetched. Of course the whole outcome would of changed, but you can't say what happened after the pick would have happened if he hadn't. The game plan would have been different, and the mindset would have been different. You just don't know.

Way I see it, even with the Harrison pick, the Cards still had the lead with 2:37. The thing was we drove 88 yards down the field and the whole drive was consisted of Ben and Tone, with Tone making the unbelievable, jaw-dropping catch to go along with the finish.

Holmes takes the cake.. but Harrison is an INCH behind. Just my opinion though.:tt02::tt02: