PDA

View Full Version : Ravens could face Steelers in 2009 opener

mesaSteeler
02-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Ravens could face Steelers in 2009 opener
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-61/Ravens-could-face-Steelers-in-2009-opener.html
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-61/Ravens-could-face-Steelers-in-2009-opener.html
February 6, 2009 1:30 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

This much we know: The Pittsburgh Steelers will open the 2009 season with a marquee Thursday night game in September.

This much is possible: Their Week 1 opponent could be the Baltimore Ravens.

It makes perfect sense. The NFL likes to showcase its Super Bowl champion in the first game of the season in primetime and it will be against a quality opponent.

No team pushed the Steelers last season quite like the Ravens. Pittsburgh won all three meetings in close, physical contests with tons of juicy story lines. The meeting in the AFC Championship only increased its reputation as one of the league's most intense, yet underrated, rivalries in the NFL.

The Steelers have other marquee games on their schedule against playoff teams such as the San Diego Chargers, Miami Dolphins, Tennessee Titans and Minnesota Vikings. A rematch at Heinz Field against the towel-stomping Titans also looks like a solid possibility.

But why not start the year off right by pitting two AFC North rivals in a nationally televised game?

(Perfect, we can start the season right by beating the Ratbirds. After all we don't want them to forget that we beat them three times in a row last season. The murderer Ray-Ray, who is a free agent, has already publicly stated he won't give the Ratbirds a hometown discount so he might not even be on the Ratbird team. To keep him the Ratbirds will have to overpay him. Either way we win. Since we are Super Bowl champs I believe we have home field for the first game. - mesa)

CPanther95
02-07-2009, 12:00 PM
That will make it 4 wins against the Ravens within one year.

tony hipchest
02-07-2009, 12:03 PM
i can hear it now-

"its extemely tuff to beat a team 4 times in the same season" :rolleyes:

i seen that program and its re-run 3 times in the last season. playing it again in the season opener would be jumping the shark.

what people really wanna see (and what they were robbed of) is how a steelers/titans showdown woulda went.

the best thing about openning against the titans is there would be alot of build up and hype about the terrible towel.

this would spread the word of myron cope and his cause on a national stage. he would be proud and his charity would benefit.

the nfl owes it to humanity to promote this legendary figure and fanbase, and get myron all this free publicity.

screw the ravens. we can smack them around 2 times later in the year.

jev7452
02-07-2009, 12:07 PM
i think i agree.. as much as i would like to start of the season by beating the birds, i also think that tennessee game would be great!! i dont care who they are playing, as long as they win! :wink02:

CPanther95
02-07-2009, 12:11 PM
I say go with the Titans also. Last year's game was a divisional matchup though, so hopefully that isn't a desire of the league.

AllD
02-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Bring Miami to Heinz in December.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-07-2009, 12:19 PM
I'll take the Ravens on the opening night. Start off the year right with a good beating. Than follow up with the titan on 10 days rest and stuff the TT right up their ass. After that put the asterisk next to the name in the standings and be the first team to clinch home field throughout the playoffs after the 2and game.

And yes its impossible to beat a team 4 times in one year, never been done in fact, lol

KeiselPower99
02-07-2009, 12:56 PM
I want the Titans right off the bat. Make them watch us raise another Super Bowl banner!!!!!

lilyoder6
02-07-2009, 02:47 PM
they could always put the uprising browns who had 4 primtime games last yr... oh wait.. THEY SUCK....... so that won't happen ever again...

even tho the ravens will be good.. i think that both games we play against the ravens will be in the later stages of the season to make the division race more juicy

Galax Steeler
02-07-2009, 02:49 PM
I would like to see us face the titans, but I would settle for the ratbirds.

Morgan
02-07-2009, 02:54 PM
I like the Ravens on THursday night for this reason... 3 extra days to heal up after the beating that this game always is.

CPanther95
02-07-2009, 03:08 PM
I like the Ravens on THursday night for this reason... 3 extra days to heal up after the beating that this game always is.

I'd rather have only 7 days to heal since it means the same thing for the Ravens.:tt03:

Morgan
02-07-2009, 03:24 PM
As long as the Steelers beat the Ravens, with the schedule we have next year, we're winning this division. I don't care if the Ravens are 3 games back or we win it on the tie breaker. I'd rather not wander into a situation like we had this season where we played the Titans the week after the Ravens.

CPanther95
02-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Send Pittsburgh to Miami in February. :tt02:

devilsdancefloor
02-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Send Pittsburgh to Miami in February. :tt02:

hell ya! Id like to see the titians first week and watch their reaction to us raising the championship banner!:drink::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

revefsreleets
02-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Have they ever opened against the Browns?

Looking the opponents for '09, I think it could be one of 4 teams:

Rats
Browns
Tits
Bears (ratings)

tony hipchest
02-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Have they ever opened against the Browns?

Looking the opponents for '09, I think it could be one of 4 teams:

Rats
Browns
Tits
Bears (ratings)return of the browns vol. II

what was it... 41-0?

back in 89 i cant remember if it was the oilers or the browns we opened against. im thinking browns (those results wernt as favorable (outscored 95-10?)

markymarc
02-10-2009, 07:10 AM
While opening up against the Rats would be nice, I would rather see the Titans. A Titans beat down on opening night would be a great way to start off the season.

SteelStang
02-10-2009, 07:53 AM
I want the Titans right off the bat. Make them watch us raise another Super Bowl banner!!!!!

Bingo! What would be better than the towel-waving Nation on opening night against the desecraters of our beloved towel?

HometownGal
02-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Bring on the Rats! :applaudit: Shut those purple turds up early. :applaudit: They are again going to be our stiffest competition for the AFCN crown, so why not start off the season 1-0 against a divisional rival?

I would absolutely love a rematch with the Tites at HF. I would just have to be at that game! :tt02:

revefsreleets
02-10-2009, 10:26 AM
I don't think the Rats will be very competitive with us next year. We have broken them...

Indo
02-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Bring on theTitties :tt03: :tt03: :tt03:

I agree with the TT hype that would bring Myron's legacy into the limelight
AND...we would get to stomp those m-effers

Dino 6 Rings
02-10-2009, 12:02 PM
I say bring in the Raiders!

That fool of a new coach says they are one of the "great franchises" in sports.

Right, didn't he say something along the lines of "people think of the Yankess, The Lakers and the Raiders"

Or something dumb like that.

I say give us the Freaking Raiders and lets start the season by stomping a mud hole in their Arse!

roethlisbergerUK
02-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Bring Miami to Heinz in December.

Just aslong as it is,nt the mudbath which happened last time they came to Heinz Field,A potentially great game ruined by the weather and field :pity:

I,d love it to be the Ratbirds or Tenne T but also a game against the Bungles could be good,What better way to kick the season off and show the rest of the league what the Steelers have got by slaughtering them:tt03:

steelpride12
02-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Well this should be the season now where another division opponent steps up other than te Ravens, but who the Browns, no, the Bungles, no. Our best bet again the toughest team is the Ratbirds and it will be an honor to take an early divison lead.

AllD
02-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Just aslong as it is,nt the mudbath which happened last time they came to Heinz Field,A potentially great game ruined by the weather and field :pity:

I,d love it to be the Ratbirds or Tenne T but also a game against the Bungles could be good,What better way to kick the season off and show the rest of the league what the Steelers have got by slaughtering them:tt03:

The Turds or the Bungles would be a Homecoming Game. Complete domination in all areas especially when the D makes their QB fertilizer. A more appropriate game would be the game we didn't get to see versus the Titans.

steeltheone
02-10-2009, 09:42 PM
I hate rivalry games up front. I like going into them game tested.

chucoblack&gold
02-11-2009, 01:35 AM
bring on the titans, we have some unfinished business with those perpetrators

StainlessStill
02-11-2009, 01:48 AM
Who knows how the NFL will determine the scheduling. It was rumored in '06 that they would open the season against the Pats and that fell through and we opened with Miami.

I wouldn't mind Baltimore, the NFL likes to put the opening matchups of the season against division's rivals these days, and I would welcome the Raturds in here any day of the week. It would be an ideal matchup for the occasion and would start the season off with a bang between two teams that share hatred. Ratings is key.

MaidenIndiana
02-11-2009, 02:11 AM
As sweet as it would be to make the Titties watch us raise another SB banner, it would be twice as sweet making the Ratbirds watch us raising another banner:tt02:

roethlisbergerUK
02-11-2009, 05:04 AM
All said and done whoever we play in the 1st game of the season...LET`S JUST WIN...GO STEELERS !!

steelballs
02-11-2009, 06:13 AM
I'd love to see that match up.
I live in the land of the rats and nothing makes me happier than watching their rat tails tuck between their legs after another defeat at the hand of their most hated rival.

steelerdave1969
02-11-2009, 07:30 AM
I wouldnt mind any of those matchups that people are mentioning, but I think the NFL would also like a AFC-NFC matchup like a super bowl preview. That being said, I think the Detroit Lions will be visiting Heinz Field on opening night :rofl:

Seriously, I think the Vikings coming to Pittsburgh would be a good matchup

SteelerFanInCA
02-11-2009, 04:49 PM
What about playing the Lions on Turkey day?