PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod tested positive for steroids in 2003

Steelcitygal87
02-07-2009, 10:06 AM
I am watching ESPN and they just had a breaking news story.... he tested positive for steroids back in 2003.

According to a report by Sports Illustrated, Alex Rodriguez tested positive for anabolic steroids in 2003, when he was with the Texas Rangers and won the AL home run title and MVP award.

According to the report, which was posted Saturday morning on SI.com, sources told the publication that Rodriguez was on a list of 104 players who tested positive that year, when Major League Baseball conducted tests to see if mandatory random drug testing was needed.

In 2003, there were no penalties for a positive result.

Rodriguez, reached at a Miami gym for comment by Sports Illustrated, said, "You'll have to talk to the union."

Asked if there were an explanation for the positive test result, Rodriguez told SI: "I'm not saying anything."

Sports Illustrated also reported that it left phone messages for players' union executive director Donald Fehr, which were not returned.

Major League Baseball, in an agreement with the MLBPA, wanted to see if random drug testing should be implemented starting in 2004.

More than 5 percent of players in the majors tested positive in the '03 survey, and mandatory testing was implemented -- including provisions for penalties -- in 2004.

Scott Boras, Rodriguez's agent, did not immediately return calls from ESPN.com seeking comment.

Michael Weiner, general counsel for the players' union, declined to comment, and said he did not know if the union would have any comment Saturday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3890785

Godfather
02-07-2009, 11:10 AM
So much for taking the asterisk off the home run record. A-Fraud is a cheater too.

MLB needs to recognize the Negro League records. That puts Aaron ahead of Bonds and makes Josh Gibson the all-time home run king.

Benzbrother
02-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Yea this is pretty bad....it makes you wonder who else is going to get caught? In my book, Aaron/Maris are definitely still the kings.

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 12:18 PM
I think this is why im not a huge MLB fan. How manys actually took or are taking Steroids. Its pathetic.

lilyoder6
02-08-2009, 12:25 PM
THIS IS FALSE

it has not been confirmed.. it is alleged that he tested postive for steroids in 03.. and THE ONLY WAY 2 CONFIRM THIS IS IF SOMEONE IS WILLING 2 GO TO JAIL..
b/c these records were sealed by the federal judge and there was a gag order... so if someone comes out and confirms it.. they are going to jail

ShutDown24
02-09-2009, 02:34 PM
THIS IS FALSE

it has not been confirmed.. it is alleged that he tested postive for steroids in 03.. and THE ONLY WAY 2 CONFIRM THIS IS IF SOMEONE IS WILLING 2 GO TO JAIL..
b/c these records were sealed by the federal judge and there was a gag order... so if someone comes out and confirms it.. they are going to jail

Rodriguez just admitted to it in an interview with Peter Gammons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3894847

Benzbrother
02-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Rodriguez just admitted to it in an interview with Peter Gammons...

I gotta tell yea, I'm really glad he admitted it. I always admired him during his playing days in Seattle (Junior is my hero) and it really bugged me to see his name come up associated with steroids. I am much more willing to accept this now that he has admitted it and apologized....than I am to put up with Bonds and Clemens getting caught and denying it again and again.

SteelCityKing
02-09-2009, 03:07 PM
honestly, with someone as prominent as Alex Rodriguez coming clean about his steroid use, i wouldn't be surprised if EVERYONE was using steriods. i know that's an exaggeration. not everyone could be one steriods, but anybody coming clean at this point wouldn't shock me at all.

i LOVED Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, and as much as i hate the Yankees and hate to admit it, Rodriguez was an amazing athlete and respected across the sports nation. so, yes, i am a little shocked at these announcements but what can we do? just out an asteriks by his name and keep Hank Aaron's record alive for forever.

SteelCityKing
02-09-2009, 03:10 PM
I gotta tell yea, I'm really glad he admitted it. I always admired him during his playing days in Seattle (Junior is my hero) and it really bugged me to see his name come up associated with steroids. I am much more willing to accept this now that he has admitted it and apologized....than I am to put up with Bonds and Clemens getting caught and denying it again and again.

you're right. atleast he had the balls to man up and say, "yeah. i did it." i hope he's willing to face the consequences of these actions and i'm sure he is. but he might've screwed the pooch on this one.

they're saying the big story in New York is not CC Sabathia and Mark Texeria being signed...but A-Rod being dirty. what a shame? two really good players going to the biggest franchise on earth (second to the Steelers...haha!) and they get thrown on the back burner for a gut busting story like this.

stlrtruck
02-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Does anything in baseball surprise anyone anymore?

Doubtful.

SteelCityKing
02-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Does anything in baseball surprise anyone anymore?

Doubtful.

the Pittsburgh Pirates ending a season with a .500 record would be like us winning the World Series! THAT, my friend, would be the biggest shocker in baseball.

OneForTheToe
02-09-2009, 08:02 PM
It would easier to give A-Rod credit for admitting his steroid use if he hadn't looked Katie Couric in the eyes all of 18 months ago and swore that he had never taken steroids. Many people are contrite after they have been caught.

lilyoder6
02-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Rodriguez just admitted to it in an interview with Peter Gammons.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3894847

well i let out the fact that could come out.. but if u look at it.. the only way to rly know was if he said it..
but i was still right in a way... no one, other than a-rod, was gonna come out and confirm it

SC Steeler Steve
02-09-2009, 10:30 PM
It would easier to give A-Rod credit for admitting his steroid use if he hadn't looked Katie Couric in the eyes all of 18 months ago and swore that he had never taken steroids. Many people are contrite after they have been caught.

Well my understanding was that A-Rod said that he was under soooo much pressure to perform due to his massive contract. The poor guy, we need to give him a break. I mean can you imagine the pressure that making 25 million dollars a year can bring on a man? I feel soooo bad for him, He felt soooo much pressure to perform at a high level due to his 252 million dollar contract. Poor fellow, I wonder why he didnt just do what he had done to get to that contract level in the first place. Man, that mean 'ol 252 million dollars. :banging:

And also we need to understand that back then it wasnt such a big deal to cheat, I mean if you sign a 252 million dollar contract then by god you better cheat to live up to that amount of money, Poor guy. Just lay off of him. I am soooo glad he has that 252 million dollars to make him feel better now because I know he is hurting over his decision. sarcasm.

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Well my understanding was that A-Rod said that he was under soooo much pressure to perform due to his massive contract. The poor guy, we need to give him a break. I mean can you imagine the pressure that making 25 million dollars a year can bring on a man? .i hear prez bush is the one who administered the steroid injections....

:noidea:

Steelcitygal87
02-10-2009, 05:45 AM

I agree. Most people will forgive(eventually) the act....but it is the LYING and trying to cover up what he did..that they have a hard time forgiving. He lied about using the steroids when asked point blank about it by Katie. I truly think that is what most people have a problem with about him.

As you mentioned, he ONLY apologized because he got caught..so how sincere is his apology...really? It's always easy to say "I'm sorry" when you are kind of forced to do so. He would have come across as being more sincere, had he apologized on his own..before this information was brought to light.

*sigh*...people never learn.

HometownGal
02-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Absolutely.

While I give A-Rod props (albeit small) for manning up and admitting that he fibbed about his steroid use, I don't respect him as much as I once did. He goes on the same shit list as Bonds, Clemens and the rest of those roid freaks.

steelerbackr4life
02-10-2009, 06:35 PM
I just hope that all this crap from the past (the other 104 names on the list that Rodriguez was on) is finally brought out at all at once. This is getting old where every year someone or multiple players names are brought out having used in the past when Roids were not even illegal.

The sad part is that some of the great players who are approaching milestones (Jeter 3,000 hits) without taking roids will enevitably have these other jerks actions be a detrement to their accomplishments.

Fire Haley
02-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Screw baseball.

Let them all pump themselves full of whatever it takes to make a boring game exciting again.

I want to see 100,000 HR's hit every year - pump it up boys!

Steelcitygal87
02-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Some of you may have already seen this, but for those who didn't.....

http://lateshow.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/top_ten/index/php/20090209.phtml

Top Ten Messages Left on Alex Rodriguez's Answering Machine :

#10 "Hey, it's Mark McGwire. Want to get together this week and not talk about the past?"
#9 "Joe Torre here -- thanks for helping book sales"
#8 "Could you find a steroid that keeps you from choking in the playoffs?"
#7 "Are you worried this will taint all the championships you didn't win?"
#6 It's Bernie Madoff. Nice try but I'm still the most hated man in New York"
#5 "Michael Phelps here. Got any snacks?"
#4 "This is Sammy Sosa. Just pretend you don't speak English"
#3 "Michael Phelps again. Did I call you or did you call me?"
#2 "Hey, it's Rod Blagojevich -- I'll say you're innocent, if you say I am"
#1 "It's Madonna. You got a phone number for Jeter?"