PDA

View Full Version : FA Amani Toomer

public - enemy
02-07-2009, 03:24 PM
The steelers will not offer washington anything and rightfully so, but I would like for them to pick up Amani for an insurance blanket and tell him you will be used as our
no. 3 if sweed does not step up, which I HOPE HE DOES.The steelers have not picked up a good Fa WR since Terrance Mathis. Toomer is a professional, good route runner and a leader.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-07-2009, 04:17 PM
I think we already have a good route runner, professional and leader that is an old WR............Hines Ward.

No need for Toomer. I really doubt they will look at him at all.

Harrison92
02-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I don't think they will look at him either but I believe he is highly underrated.

xfl2001fan
02-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I doubt that any "name" WR will be looked at by the Steelers. With Santo/Ward in the mix...and Sweed being so young, if they do anything, it'll likely come out of the draft.

steelreserve
02-07-2009, 04:43 PM
We've got other priorities to worry about, like KEEPING THIS DEFENSE TOGETHER and picking up at least one good offensive lineman. We've won two Super Bowls with a good but largely unrecognized WR corps. I think we'll be fine there. At least until Ward retires.

devilsdancefloor
02-07-2009, 04:58 PM
We've got other priorities to worry about, like KEEPING THIS DEFENSE TOGETHER and picking up at least one good offensive lineman. We've won two Super Bowls with a good but largely unrecognized WR corps. I think we'll be fine there. At least until Ward retires.

not interested in tommer at all! not that he is a bad guy or anthign we just donr need him! remember OLINE & DLINE...

rich4eagle
02-07-2009, 05:04 PM
The steelers will not offer washington anything and rightfully so, but I would like for them to pick up Amani for an insurance blanket and tell him you will be used as our
no. 3 if sweed does not step up, which I HOPE HE DOES.The steelers have not picked up a good Fa WR since Terrance Mathis. Toomer is a professional, good route runner and a leader.

They should keep Washington, Toomer should not even be consdered. Over the Hill:tt03:

steelersfanman92
02-07-2009, 05:13 PM
I think the Steelers would be a lot more likely to pick up Hank Baskett or Bobby Engram who are both capable number 3s

tyler289
02-07-2009, 05:17 PM
I think we should look at a solid veteran WR, because the draft should be focusing on the trenches, and we don't have anyone other than Sweed. Toomer would not be a bad pickup at all.

Now, if Nate comes back, we don't need to make a move.

SunshineMan21
02-07-2009, 05:24 PM
I don't think Toomer will want to sign with us for the money he'd be worth to us.

lilyoder6
02-07-2009, 05:34 PM
i doubt that toomer would want to be a #3 wr anyway...

ShutDown24
02-07-2009, 05:42 PM
People, you are really overrating Amani Toomer. The guy is a four. Not a three. A four. His name might get him a starting job somewhere, maybe on a team like the Raiders. But he's done jack squat the last two seasons of his career. Even Sweed is a better third option at receiver than Toomer is at this point in their careers.

OneForTheToe
02-07-2009, 06:02 PM
And don't forget we could always bring back Dallas Baker "touchdown maker" next season. :wink02: :flap::thumbsup:

The Duke
02-07-2009, 06:05 PM
i doubt that toomer would want to be a #3 wr anyway...

This. The man has a big ego, thinks he should be a starter. Kinda reminds me of ced wilson

He was phased out of the giants offensive game plan and complained about it. We don't need that here

Galax Steeler
02-08-2009, 06:58 AM
I don't think we need Toomer we need to spend our money somewhere else I believe we will see a different Sweed this year.

GBMelBlount
02-08-2009, 08:08 AM
I don't think Toomer will want to sign with us for the money he'd be worth to us.

I agree. He would be a solid addition imo, but I also think we'd probably have to over pay versus his worth to us.

AllD
02-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Can always dump it off to Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeath.

SC Steeler Steve
02-08-2009, 08:28 AM
I don't think we need Toomer we need to spend our money somewhere else I believe we will see a different Sweed this year.

I believe the work ethic of the other recievers like Ward and Holmes will definitely wear off on Sweed and we will in fact see a different Sweed. Also he got to be a part of a SB championship this year and he will want to be a bigger part of the team next year. It was obvious to me by his play the remainder of the game that he didnt like being embarrassed in the Ravens Playoff game, I dont think we will see that Sweed anymore. Sweed is a top reciever, we just have to let him mature.

lilyoder6
02-08-2009, 08:56 AM
This. The man has a big ego, thinks he should be a starter. Kinda reminds me of ced wilson

He was phased out of the giants offensive game plan and complained about it. We don't need that here

thats what i'm talking about.. and if he was complaining bout the system in the giants.. how do u think he would complain bout being in our system.. the man would go bonkers.. lets some other team think he is good and give him his final pay-day so then half way thru the season they can realize he is a bum

FacemeIke
02-09-2009, 03:56 PM
He would be a big step down from Washington in my opinion

Steelman16
02-09-2009, 04:17 PM
What do we need him for? We already have good recievers. Sure Hines is old, but so is Toomer.

zsheik22
02-09-2009, 04:27 PM
I like Washington :(

Dino 6 Rings
02-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Does Ced Wilson even play anymore?

anyway, not interested in Toomer. I'll take what we got and go from there. Sweed is going to be a deep threat that will need attention. Keep covering him in one on one and eventually he's going to make one of those catches that burns you for 80 yards.

Ward, Holmes, Sweed with a 4th guy in the draft. Go with that. If we Have to sign a free agent, give me someone that isn't too expensive that can learn the offense quickly and run 8 yard curl routes on 3rd and 6.

brick
02-09-2009, 04:59 PM
dont think we really need toomer, he's a solid receiver, but i think washington would be dumb to chase the $ and leave, even though that happens all the time these days. nate burns toomer in terms of speed, he just needs to work on his hands, and sweed is in the same vein. if we need to replace washington i think we can find someone elsewhere or bump sweed up. heyward-bey from maryland would be a pretty solid draft choice in that case if we need to get a fresh wr.

Dino 6 Rings
02-09-2009, 05:00 PM
I think the fact that Nate disappears in big games will help us with negotiating his contract.

Really...Nate is great on 1st and 2nd down. But on 3rd, I know I cringe when the ball is thrown his way.

St33lersguy
02-09-2009, 05:04 PM
although I do find it better to draft a reciever or pick up somebody younger better him than butter fingers

HometownGal
02-09-2009, 05:08 PM
I think the Steelers would be a lot more likely to pick up Hank Baskett or Bobby Engram who are both capable number 3s

I wouldn't mind the Steelers picking up Hank Baskett, but I don't think it's gonna happen. Either the Steelers are going to offer Nate a decent contract (but not overpaying him) or they are going to pick up another wideout via the draft.

Toomer is a good receiver and it wouldn't surprise me if NY works a deal to keep him, as he is their insurance policy when Plex is either out with an injury or pulls another of his AW'ing stunts (or shoots himself in the other foot). Hines is already getting up there - no way the Steelers pick up a #3 receiver who is almost 35 years old.

The Duke
02-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Toomer is a good receiver and it wouldn't surprise me if NY works a deal to keep him, as he is their insurance policy when Plex is either out with an injury or pulls another of his AW'ing stunts (or shoots himself in the other foot). Hines is already getting up there - no way the Steelers pick up a #3 receiver who is almost 35 years old.

Actually, he's apparently been told he won't be back

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/02/online_notebook_source_says_ne.html

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01292009/sports/giants/amani__i_coulda_helped_giants_be_super_a_152472.ht m

Not the best sources, but still I would be shocked if he stays in NY. I would be even more shocked if the steelers sign him though

lilyoder6
02-09-2009, 05:28 PM
i heard that toomer does not want 2 return.. b/c after buress was arrested they fazed him out of the off even more...

but if nate goes and all.. i'll start pimping the draft pick of derrick williams from psu to be our 4th wr.. and he can return punts and kick-offs

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Amani Toomer, Giants. Age: 34.
It's sad, but we may not be able to hear Chris Berman say "Well-Dressed Amani Toomer" much longer. Toomer caught 48 passes for 580 yards and four touchdowns in 2008. His last 1,000-yard season came in 2003. http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagents2009WR.php

Again, I would pass on Toomer. Drew Carter, Mike Furrey, Justin McCarins, Eric Parker would all be better spend of $$. Sweed, Baker and a rookie should make up the WR corps.

markymarc
02-09-2009, 06:40 PM
While I think Toomer is still a good WR at his age, we have an older WR in Ward. Just get Sweed on the field and let him start making plays :chuckle: