PDA

View Full Version : MVP - Santonio

steelerchad
02-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Alot of the talking heads and fans have been saying Big Ben deserved the Superbowl MVP. I agree with the fact that he was deserving after the incredible 2 minute drive for the win, except for 1 thing. SANTONIO HOLMES.

Santonio had a career day with 131 yards on 9 catches and the game winning touchdown grab on the final drive. You could argue that the throw was just as good as the catch and you'd be right. Both ends of the play were perfect. But it's like arguing the chicken or the egg.

Santonio was the go to guy all day and made all the plays on the last drive and then topped it off with what most people are saying may be the best Superbowl grab of all time. It's rare that a receiver on the Steelers would be so dominant down the stretch as the Steelers usually spread the ball around. But it seemed obvious that Hines's injury was hampering his ability to make plays.

Santonio really only had what most would call an average season. His play in the playoffs was huge though.
Trailing 7-0 to the Chargers with the offense struggling early against San Diego his punt return for a TD kick started the scoring and the Steelers never looked back.

His 65 yard catch and run for a TD against the Ravens in the AFCC game put us up 13-0 and put a dagger in the Ravens heart early. If not for the challenge overturn on his other TD, which I still hate that call. The game would have been put away at that point 17-0.

My only knock on him is the extra stuff. The pot bust was bad. I don't smoke pot, but I also don't think it's the worst thing in the world. However, when you're in his position you have to put the team ahead of yourself. He hurt his team, as we lost to the Giants the game he was suspended. We won't know if the outcome would have been different if he was on the field.

I also am not crazy about all the me stuff. Alot of talk and showboating. I also don't care about a little celebration, but you've got to be smarter than to do something that may cost your team 15 yards in a game.

I think you can chalk most of this stuff up to being young and playing wide receiver in the NFL. When you look at that position in the NFL, he's actually fairly reserved compared to most of his peers. Here's to Santonio maturing into the great receiver I know he can be.

SC Steeler Steve
02-08-2009, 09:18 AM
I ultimately think it should have been Co-MVP, but I am satified with Santonio getting it and am very happy Ben got invited to Disney World with him, it shows Ben the credit he deserves also.

vasteeler
02-08-2009, 10:06 AM
and with Sweed in the mix, next year could be an offensive explosion

Steelersfanforlife
02-08-2009, 05:05 PM
I ultimately think it should have been Co-MVP, but I am satified with Santonio getting it and am very happy Ben got invited to Disney World with him, it shows Ben the credit he deserves also.
i agree with you

Sharkissle29
02-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Its pretty wild when you think about it. IMO it feels like santonio has been on the team for awhile, but he is only 24! we are gonna have him for quite some time

lilyoder6
02-08-2009, 05:47 PM
well w/o ben holmes would of had that great drive.. they both went hand and hand on the final drive.. and said above.. they both should of won... then they could of done a coin toss 2 see who got the car and who got the mvp trophy

HometownGal
02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
I agree with Santo being named the MVP. He not only made that unbelievable catch in the EZ which won the game for us - he was the key to that final drive no matter how you slice it. Sure - Ben threw the game-winning pass, but the catch Santo made was off the charts. The kid kept his head totally in the game and that toe tap was Rice or Carter-esque. :tt03:

BettorFan
02-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Holmes is going to develop into an amazing WR.

StainlessStill
02-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Holmes is going to develop into an amazing WR.

The only thing wrong about your statement is.. that it's already happened.

Like someone said before, he is only 24 years of age and with even more developing under the skills of a Hall of Fame receiver in HinesPhyscoWard, he's only going to get better, and that's why you draft him # 1. (Same with Ben, and I'm sure Mendy will be a monster in the backfield complimenting Willie next season.)

Even though Holmes started off rocky, we know what we are getting from him in EVERY BIG GAME we will have from here on out.:tt02:

markymarc
02-09-2009, 12:28 PM
We are lucky to have Holmes and I hope he follows in Wards footsteps and makes sure he retires a Pittsburgh Steeler. I will be very upset if we let Holmes get away. And I do believe it should have been a co-mvp for Ben and Santonio.

The_WARDen
02-09-2009, 12:38 PM
I have stated that if his last name was Manning, then Ben would have been MVP.

Not taking anything away from Holmes.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I personally dont care about the MVP, the trophy looked ugly and all of these guys can afford an escalade.

I'm just happy to see my 4th Super Bowl win (the first 2 were past my bedtime) and glad we traded up for Holmes instead of drafting Sinorice Moss or Chad Jackson in that draft year. :thumbsup: I guess the GM does know what he is doing huh?

IAWarnerFan
02-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Larry Fitzgerald should have gotten it EOS! :popcorn: