PDA

View Full Version : Offense completely dominated 3 playoff opponents

tony hipchest
02-08-2009, 12:46 PM
having rewatched all the replays several times, its amazing how none of the games were even remotely close as the score would suggest. it seems each game we left atleast 3 td's on the field.

the refs took 2 off the board where we settled for fg's (bens sneak in sb and santonio having the one called back in champ game).

willie and sweed had perfect td playes called, were wide open and simply didnt catch the ball.

several 40 yd bombs missed santonio's or washingtons hands by inches.

and i lost count of how many plays we were stopped at the 1 yard line.

with mendenhall back, improvements to the line, and sweed, holmes, and big ben getting better, theres no reason to believe we wont be offensively dominant next season.

GBMelBlount
02-08-2009, 12:48 PM
You're a liar! Ooooops, sorry, thought we were in the locker room. :chuckle:

But Seriously, Ben could bust his knee in the first game and Sweed and Mendenhall could be busts as well. Plus, it may take a few years to markedly improve our offensive line. I am already excited as hell about next year, and cautiously optimistic, but I can't say we will be lighting up the scoreboard next season until we have a few games under our belt.

I know you're big on "Change" tony, and I certainly hope our offense "changes" for the better. :wink02:

stillers4me
02-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Tomlin doesn't have drapes on his mind, by any chance, does he?

:chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
02-08-2009, 12:55 PM
There is no doubt, if we were better in our Redzone Scoring we would have smashed people a lot worse than we did this season.

Since last year's weakness, Kick Coverage was addressed, I am inclined to believe that the top priority of this off season has to be, and will be Redzone Touchdown Scoring.

We had quite a few games that we could have put away early had we been able to just put the ball in the endzone and finish our drives strong.

Steelcitygal87
02-08-2009, 12:55 PM
having rewatched all the replays several times, its amazing how none of the games were even remotely close as the score would suggest. it seems each game we left atleast 3 td's on the field.

the refs took 2 off the board where we settled for fg's (bens sneak in sb and santonio having the one called back in champ game).

willie and sweed had perfect td playes called, were wide open and simply didnt catch the ball.

several 40 yd bombs missed santonio's or washingtons hands by inches.

and i lost count of how many plays we were stopped at the 1 yard line.

with mendenhall back, improvements to the line, and sweed, holmes, and big ben getting better, theres no reason to believe we wont be offensively dominant next season.

Yep, that certainly was frustrating, to be that close and not be able to punch it in! Course when you always run the same play from that spot...I think the other team pretty much knows what to expect. Whatever happened to the bootleg? Bunch em all up in the middle..make the other team think you are going to pound it up in there..and then have Ben run around the outside..he is a decent runner, and with Heath blocking.. could have most likely taken it in.

tony hipchest
02-08-2009, 01:03 PM
You're a liar! Ooooops, sorry, thought we were in the locker room. :chuckle:

But Seriously, Ben could bust his knee in the first game and Sweed and Mendenhall could be busts as well. Plus, it may take a few years to markedly improve our offensive line. I am already excited as hell about next year, and cautiously optimistic, but I can't say we will be lighting up the scoreboard next season until we have a few games under our belt.

I know you're big on "Change" tony, and I certainly hope our offense "changes" for the better. :wink02:

dont be a negative nellie.
look at how many times players like sweed, holmes, and washington were wide open only to have the ball graze their fingertips 40 yds downfield.

then look at all the times ward, miller and a rb were wide open underneath.

sweed and mendenhall are the real deal, and parker is a mini ox. i cant count how many times ive seen him get to the 2nd level and it takes 3 men (usually a corner, safety and lb) to bring him down. in the chargers game #99 and a linebacker were struggling to bring him down.

im not even gonna think about who gets hurt. im gonna think about who gets healthy.

we will be better and i dont need to see a few games to know that. this playoff run tells me all i need to know.

GBMelBlount
02-08-2009, 01:08 PM
dont be a negative nellie.
look at how many times players like sweed, holmes, and washington were wide open only to have the ball graze their fingertips 40 yds downfield.

sweed and mendenhall are the real deal

im not even gonna think about who gets hurt. im gonna think about who gets healthy.

we will be better and i dont need to see a few games to know that. this playoff run tells me all i need to know.

I think Sweed and Mendenhall may be the real deal too, AND I'm really excited about the prospects for an improved offense next year Tony. But I guess I am going to take more of a "wait and see" approach, that's all. :noidea:

Preacher
02-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Yep, that certainly was frustrating, to be that close and not be able to punch it in! Course when you always run the same play from that spot...I think the other team pretty much knows what to expect. Whatever happened to the bootleg? Bunch em all up in the middle..make the other team think you are going to pound it up in there..and then have Ben run around the outside..he is a decent runner, and with Heath blocking.. could have most likely taken it in.

I understand what you're saying, but remember, Ben reinjured his shoulder in that game with Washington because he kept the ball. I think call bootlegs is dangerous when you have a QB that is as injured as Ben was.

tony hipchest
02-08-2009, 01:14 PM
I think Sweed and Mendenhall may be the real deal too, AND I'm really excited about the prospects for an improved offense next year Tony. But I guess I am going to take more of a "wait and see" approach, that's all. :noidea:
yeah, many people took a "wait and see" approach to our defense improving this season. our late year slump that ended with a loss to jax left a sour taste in many peoples mouth.

but all the tools and coaching was there. it was evident that we would be dominant defensively.

mark my words....

tomlin will get the o-line straightened out and our special teams will continue to improve. a punter and returner will do wonders. a healthy mendenhall will have 10 td's.

tony hipchest
02-08-2009, 01:16 PM
I understand what you're saying, but remember, Ben reinjured his shoulder in that game with Washington because he kept the ball. I think call bootlegs is dangerous when you have a QB that is as injured as Ben was.
he was a lead blocker on an end around 2 weeks after being hauled off the field on a stretcher... :noidea:

Steelcitygal87
02-08-2009, 01:16 PM

I understand about him being injured...but when you are on the 1 yard line or closer..when he takes it around to the outside..I doubt very highly he would have even been touched before he crossed the goal line, because the majority of the defense is concentrating on the run up the middle. He more than likely would have gone in standing up. Us running slightly off right or left tackle( usually 4 straight times) didn't exactly get the job done. I just thought giving the ol bootleg a try once or twice, in that situation, wouldn't have hurt anything.

Steelcitygal87
02-08-2009, 01:26 PM
he was a lead blocker on an end around 2 weeks after being hauled off the field on a stretcher... :noidea:

Yeah, and that is a heck of a lot more dangerous from the standpoint of getting injured, than running a bootleg...where the qb, is very rarely ever hurt. Usually it is used in 3rd and short yardage...so when you are at the 1 yard line or closer...chances are he wouldn't have had a hand laid on him.

tony hipchest
02-08-2009, 01:41 PM
vs the chargers the pitch out to willie was wide open and the perfect call. so was the run by gary russell of the strong side.

vs the cardinals, bens negated td woulda probably gotten in if it were a called bootleg, instead of a scramble from about 10 yds out.

speaking of dominance how bout 3 returns for td's in 3 consecutive games-

santonio's return vs chargers.
troys pick on flacco
harrisons pick on warner

or how bout 4 forced turn overs in the waning minutes (minute) of the game when the opponent was desperately trying to make a comeback-

troys int of flacco w/ 6 min. left.
clark forcing mcgahee to fumble with 4 min. left.
carter picking off flacco with 1 min. left.
woodley forcing warner to fumble with 30 seconds left.

again, none of the final scores of the 3 playoff games really reflect how dominant we were and so capable of imposing our will, whenever we wanted to.

GBMelBlount
02-08-2009, 02:17 PM
mark my words....

tomlin will get the o-line straightened out and our special teams will continue to improve. a punter and returner will do wonders. a healthy mendenhall will have 10 td's.

I guess the good news is that with our top shelf defense pretty much intact next season, it should allow him to focus primarily on building our offense. I was quite disgusted the last two years at how our o-line had been largely overlooked and I would not have been surprised if we had gone 8-8 this past season. I largely credit this amazing season to our unbelievably stout defense and Ben's incredible desire to win. :drink:

I really think if the Steelers largely focus on upgrading our o-line talent, through the draft (and free agency perhaps), they could really be a forced to be reckoned with.

Although I am a little concerned that Ben's production might fall off if he's not constantly running for his life. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
02-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Although I am a little concerned that Ben's production might fall off if he's not constantly running for his life. :chuckle:
as long as they keep dialing up a few designed sack plays and throwaways to keep the defense honest, he should be fine. :chuckle:

(personally i woulda been shocked if we did worse than 10-6- i knew wed be damn good but thought we could lose 1 or 2 more of those close ones).

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2009, 03:19 PM
I think call bootlegs is dangerous when you have a QB that is as injured as Ben was.
Exactly the opposite. You want to get a mobile QB out of the pocket, or move the pocket with him rather than him being statuesque in a pocket.

Bootleg option plays like the 2nd play of the Super bowl (long completion to Ward) are the running game's best friend as it slows the pursuit. The QB also has the option to pass, run or throw it away since he is out of the tackle box.

markymarc
02-09-2009, 09:51 AM
While I still don't care for Arians, I do agree that if we improve our OL and red zone offense this team could be scary good in 2009. I also can't wait to see what Mendenhall can do in a full season.

Steelcitygal87
02-09-2009, 09:54 AM
While I still don't care for Arians, I do agree that if we improve our OL and red zone offense this team could be scary good in 2009. I also can't wait to see what Mendenhall can do in a full season.

I am very anxious to see about Mendenhall as well. :tt03:

steelpride12
02-09-2009, 09:56 AM

You can't complain about an offensive coordinatior who stuck with his plan all season long, and help lead this offense to the Super Bowl victory the ultimate prize. Sure we were ranked 23rd on the offense, but it doesnt matter as long as we reach the ultimate prize another Lombardi to Pittsburgh.

tony hipchest
02-09-2009, 10:11 AM
offensively the playcalling was good enough to put up 40 points a game.

SteelCityMom
02-09-2009, 10:23 AM
I agree with you Tony, I think we'll see a lot more production out of this offense in the coming season. Even if there are a few injuries, the schedule is not nearly as brutal as it was this year. The Ravens and the Vikings are the big powerhouse defenses that we will see throughout the season. They'll still have to produce of course, but I don't think they'll be struggling nearly as much as they were this year.

steelballs
02-09-2009, 10:52 AM
When it became apparent that the defense would dominate this year as expected, I said "I hope that the offense doesn't waste the defense's dominance this year".

Thank goodness they didn't! The offense stepped up big time in the second half of the season and made sure that the "D" wasn't wasted. I would have liked to see a more dominant running attack, but you can't have everything. I'll take the 6th Lombardi and be more than happy.

markymarc
02-09-2009, 02:15 PM
You can't complain about an offensive coordinatior who stuck with his plan all season long, and help lead this offense to the Super Bowl victory the ultimate prize. Sure we were ranked 23rd on the offense, but it doesnt matter as long as we reach the ultimate prize another Lombardi to Pittsburgh.

Listen the Steelers won the Super Bowl and I couldn't be more happier for such a great ending to a spectacular season, but let's not act like Arians is an all world OC and has no weaknesses. And sorry but IMO there are 2 holes on this team and that would be the OL and Arians. Yes Arians stuck with his plan all year, but let's not kid ourselves and think that was a good plan at all times. Arians gets to wear his ring like the entire staff, but no way in hell do I have to like him.

revefsreleets
02-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Listen the Steelers won the Super Bowl and I couldn't be more happier for such a great ending to a spectacular season, but let's not act like Arians is an all world OC and has no weaknesses. And sorry but IMO there are 2 holes on this team and that would be the OL and Arians. Yes Arians stuck with his plan all year, but let's not kid ourselves and think that was a good plan at all times. Arians gets to wear his ring like the entire staff, but no way in hell do I have to like him.

If the OL was closer to the top of the league and NOT the bottom, Arians would call different plays. That's how it goes. He worked with what he had to work with, and your lack of understanding of that is irrelevant. But your myopic hate is duly noted.

markymarc
02-10-2009, 09:51 AM
If the OL was closer to the top of the league and NOT the bottom, Arians would call different plays. That's how it goes. He worked with what he had to work with, and your lack of understanding of that is irrelevant. But your myopic hate is duly noted.

Okay got it. So according to your logic it's the OL's fault for Bruce Arians play calling this season. Now as an OC is it or is it not your responsibility to know what your team's strengths and weaknesses are? I just want to make sure I understand since you seem to know all the ins and outs for being an OC. So going into the regular season Arians and company knew the OL was a weakness yet game after game we continued to run FWP without a FB and had Ben taking 5-7 step drops for the passing game. I'm just curious on why the I formation and much shorter passes were only implemented near the end of the season. And for the record how exactly would you know that Arians calls different plays with an improved OL. Guess all the studying you've done on Arians back to his Cleveland days have allowed you to know how the man thinks now and his play calling seems to magically change with a different OL. And yes your myopic love is duly noted.

revefsreleets
02-10-2009, 10:34 AM
That's exactly what I just said: Arians called plays that fit the limited ability of his OL. It's not like we didn't try to run the ball in the SB, it just didn't work. The dude can't call the plays AND execute them, too. The guy does well with what he has to work with.

I don't get what is so effing hard to understand here?