PDA

View Full Version : could mularkey replace wisenhunt....

tony hipchest
01-03-2006, 01:23 PM
...if by chance he were fired and wisenhunt got a head coaching job? i dont think either will happen but if it did would mularkey be the most logical choice or would the steelers just go into another direction? who else would be looked at as an o coord. (it does seem like mularkey has cut out alot of the mularkey with his coaching style with the bills but i havent really watched many of their games since he took over.

Brady12
01-03-2006, 01:28 PM
lol, Mularkey was supposed to turn this franchise around after the 9-7 season last year... Where did they go? *Looks for Buffalo in the playoffs* hmmmm.... *looks for Buffalo out of the playoffs....* Oh there they are 5-11... I don't think Pittsburgh wants that. Their offense was 28th, and their defense was 29th...

Steel - X
01-03-2006, 01:31 PM
To me Mularkey was way over rated before he got that job with the steelers he didnt have to do much. OK Bettis run the ball and I will throw in a trick play here and there. Never thought he was cut out to be a HC or even a GOOD OC.

tony hipchest
01-03-2006, 01:31 PM
wasnt crennell supposed to turn the browns around? i guess since he sucks so bad the patriots wouldnt take him back? crennell would be welcomed back with open arms. not saying this is the case with mularkey and pittsburgh but donahoe and losman havent really helped his cause.

Livinginthe past
01-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Buffalo have probably been the most disappointing of all the AFC East teams this year.

Miami are certainly showing some signs of steady improvement and Saban seems to be a tactically astute coach who is in tune with his roster.

The Jets have had awful bad luck with injury to QB's this year - and Curtis Martins production has fallen off dramatically due to teams stacking the box and an unhealthy O-Line.

Buffalo seem unsure if they have their QB of the future in J.P.Loserman - and Willis McGahees claims of being the 'best back in the NFL' seem awfully foolish now.

NM

Steel - X
01-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Crennell to me actually made that team better this season. But to me unlike Mularkey, Crennell actually took a lousy Defense and made it better

Steel - X
01-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Buffalo have probably been the most disappointing of all the AFC East teams this year.

Miami are certainly showing some signs of steady improvement and Saban seems to be a tactically astute coach who is in tune with his roster.

The Jets have had awful bad luck with injury to QB's this year - and Curtis Martins production has fallen off dramatically due to teams stacking the box and an unhealthy O-Line.

Buffalo seem unsure if they have their QB of the future in J.P.Loserman - and Willis McGahees claims of being the 'best back in the NFL' seem awfully foolish now.

NM

Well we all new this is why the Patriots are in the Playoffs you didnt need to clarify!

Livinginthe past
01-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Well we all new this is why the Patriots are in the Playoffs you didnt need to clarify!

Ha ha.

Yes we are the real weak-sisters of this years playoffs.

I may well go on holiday instead of watching this weekends playoff hammering by the Jax Jags.

NM

Steel - X
01-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Hey man just busting your chops

Brady12
01-03-2006, 01:37 PM
wasnt crennell supposed to turn the browns around? i guess since he sucks so bad the patriots wouldnt take him back? crennell would be welcomed back with open arms. not saying this is the case with mularkey and pittsburgh but donahoe and losman havent really helped his cause.

lol i'm not even going to reply to that because it is ridiculous... this is the best record Cleveland has had since they made the playoffs in 2002.

Livinginthe past
01-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Hey man just busting your chops

Hey - I know it.

Nothing wrong in laying a little smack on the AFC Least.

NM

Brady12
01-03-2006, 01:43 PM

Sorry, but the NFC West is the worst division this season :bouncy: And last year :bouncy: And the year before it was the NFC East :bouncy: And then back in 2002 it was the AFC East... Thats also when Cleveland last made the playoffs.

tony hipchest
01-03-2006, 01:49 PM
lol i'm not even going to reply to that because it is ridiculous... this is the best record Cleveland has had since they made the playoffs in 2002.

about as ridiculous as your statement regarding mularkey huh? browns best record in 3 years? 6-10. lol quite a turn around there. thats not saying much.

i dont think you know the steelers as much as you think. they did bring back lebeau after he didnt do squat as a head coach in cincinatti, and all he did was put out a top 5 and #1 defense in the league.

but anyways this threads intent is for hypothetical and conversational purposes, not an endorsement for mularkey, as i have already stated i dont think either wiz or 'larkey are getting hired or fired. just curious of who steelerfans think would have an inside track since losing wisenhunt and r. grimm is a possibility.

tony hipchest
01-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Sorry, but the NFC West is the worst division this season :bouncy: And last year :bouncy: And the year before it was the NFC East :bouncy: And then back in 2002 it was the AFC East... Thats also when Cleveland last made the playoffs.
sorry but the nfc west and afc east both collectively have 28 wins and the seahawks are a full 3 games up on the patriots. id say the afc east is weaker.

clevestinks
01-03-2006, 03:13 PM
Crennell to me actually made that team better this season. But to me unlike Mularkey, Crennell actually took a lousy Defense and made it better
What defense was that? The defense we scored 41 on with eight sacks two weeks ago? LOL

Steel - X
01-03-2006, 03:28 PM
What defense was that? The defense we scored 41 on with eight sacks two weeks ago? LOL

I was referring to the Pats defense.. .Yeah he really did nothing to the cleveland defense but who really can?

Ambridge
01-03-2006, 03:33 PM
To me Mularkey was way over rated before he got that job with the steelers he didnt have to do much. OK Bettis run the ball and I will throw in a trick play here and there. Never thought he was cut out to be a HC or even a GOOD OC.

To be quite honest I don't think Ken Whisenhunt is all that great either.
There have been some times this season and last year as well where the offensive play calling was quite suspect.
If you notice on occasion Whisenhunt is very "Mularkey-esque" with the very predictable 3rd down and long screen plays and the waste of a down reverse calls.

I remember the most angry I ever was at Mularkey was when the Steeler played the Jets in a blizzard in the Meadowlands a couple of seasons ago and the field conditions were absolutely horrible and he decides that he wanted to have Tommy Maddox pass the ball close to 40 times.......when the couple of times Jerome Bettis touched the ball he had some good runs.
Needless to say the Steelers lost the game and were shut-out in the process.

clevestinks
01-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Please don`t bring MM back! Please! I think we need to promote from within. Somebody who has been with Ben for his two seasons!

BB2W
01-03-2006, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't want Mularkey back. I never cared for his offense... it basically revolved around gimic plays.

Prosdo
01-03-2006, 04:05 PM
I wouldn't want Mularkey back. I never cared for his offense... it basically revolved around gimic plays.

I second that!

Brady12
01-03-2006, 04:11 PM
sorry but the nfc west and afc east both collectively have 28 wins and the seahawks are a full 3 games up on the patriots. id say the afc east is weaker.

The only reason they have 28 wins, is because of the Seahawks.. Seattle is also the only team that went 6-0 in their division besides Indianapolis. Averaging out the strength of schedule for the divisions AFC East had a high strength of schedule than NFC West, so you tell me who is weaker :smile: Considering they all play the same teams except for the "2 other teams" each team plays.

clevestinks
01-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Is Whipple our quarterbacks coach, worth consideration?

TXSTEELER
01-03-2006, 04:17 PM
I heard that Donahue is the one on the chopping block!!!

Woud be sweet revenge for Bill, huh?

clevestinks
01-03-2006, 04:18 PM
I heard that Donahue is the one on the chopping block!!!

Woud be sweet revenge for Bill, huh?
yeahthe reports is that he will be fired by Friday!

tony hipchest
01-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Is Whipple our quarterbacks coach, worth consideration? i didnt really think about it but id bet you a buck hes the next one in line if anyone is potentially being groomed to take over. he left a pretty good college job where he was successful to get his foot in the door and try to climb the ladder and advance his career. good call cleve. sidenote: why hasnt mularkey been using the gadget plays in buffalo like he did with the steelers? maybe he was just trying to maximize the talents of kordell, el, and ward.

you all cant tell me you didnt like that play against the vikings in 2001 where kordel left the center like he was talking to a receiver and they direct snapped to jerome for a first down. that was so great the rams even implemented it!

LambertIsGod58
01-03-2006, 06:18 PM
6-10 that last time he was in town...No thanks!!!!!!!

clevestinks
01-03-2006, 07:50 PM
Mike can follow Tommy into insurance sales

Rotorhead
01-04-2006, 06:18 PM
I bet Tommy gets picked up. Mike wasnt all bad, he just tried to change to a passing offense when we were built to run the ball . . . not good for us. Maybe Tommy will go to Buffalo haha.

Stlrs4Life
01-05-2006, 08:37 PM
...if by chance he were fired and wisenhunt got a head coaching job? i dont think either will happen but if it did would mularkey be the most logical choice or would the steelers just go into another direction? who else would be looked at as an o coord. (it does seem like mularkey has cut out alot of the mularkey with his coaching style with the bills but i havent really watched many of their games since he took over.

Definately go in a different direction. Maybe Whipple, the Steelers like to promote within.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Please don`t bring MM back! Please! I think we need to promote from within. Somebody who has been with Ben for his two seasons!

Whipple would make a logical choice as an Off. Coor. ... but I really dont think Whis is going anywhere this year.. most teams want alittle more experience before they go hiring a guy as a head coach.

but no I dont want mularkey back, every other play was a gadget play..that only works for so long as we found out.

tony hipchest
01-06-2006, 10:08 AM
well it was a good topic of conversation cause mularkey is staying. whiz should take a lesson and see how quick mularkey was feeling the heat in buffalo. i agree that he is probably not ready for a h.c. position. hell hes only been an o coord for 2 years.

if he does go and whipple is promoted from within he better do a greater job than tom clements up in buffalo