PDA

View Full Version : Love from a Brownstain website

mesaSteeler
02-08-2009, 07:04 PM
(This is from the Orange and Brown report a Brownstain website.
http://cle.scout.com/2/837728.html
- mesa)

Rich's Rant: The Steeler Way Is The Right Way

By Rich Passan

Posted Feb 8, 2009

While the NFL world looks to emulate the New England Patriots, the league's best franchise lies just 120 miles away from Cleveland. If only we allow ourselves to see it...

The blueprint to success for the Browns lies about 120 miles southeast of Cleveland.

It resides very comfortably and quietly among the hills of a former steel-reliant town that has broad shoulders and a football team that has produced two Super Bow championships in the last four years.

It is a very simple blueprint predicated on hard work, dedication, selflessness and an overwhelming desire to be the best.

The more that blueprint produces championships, the more upset Browns fans become. Instead of seeing things as they are, they choose to decry the success of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They mock and belittle that success. Sometimes in mean-spirited, nasty and vulgar ways.

Instead of actually acknowledging the Steelers know how to win Super Bowl titles, they slobber away with the excuses that officiating has given the Steelers their last two Vince Lombardi trophies.

Itís that type of rationale that blinds them to the realities of the Pittsburgh success. They cannot stand to see the Steelers win titles. The hate for the Steelers runs so deep on the part of many Browns fans on this Web site, they lose all objectivity and become delusional. They convince themselves the Steelers were handed the last two championships and absolutely nothing, not even common sense, will change that. Ever.

Fact of the matter is the better team won in Tampa on the first day of this month. Arizona had that game won with its first lead of the game with 2:30 left and the Steelers on their 12-yard line. The Steelers won that game more than the Cardinals lost it.

Look, I canít stand the Steelers, either. But I donít wear blinders and came to one conclusion about them a long time ago. They know how to play winning football. They make plays when playmaking is a necessity. And itís about time Browns fans come to their senses and realize that.

Sure, the Steelers can be arrogant. But arrogance is an entitlement when you win Super Bowls. One can only imagine how arrogant Browns fans would be if their team had the same success as the Steelers. Most likely more.

The Steelers have turned their rivalry with the Browns into a shamockery, as Ben Wallace of the Cavaliers would say. There is no longer a rivalry. Hasnít been for at least the last decade. Certainly not the way the Steelers have treated the Browns over that period of time. Itís not even close.

In order to beat the Steelers, you have to play like them. You have to be like them. You have to present a mirror image. Thatís the only language they understand.

Randy Lerner turned his head in the wrong direction when he decided to remodel his Browns after another proven winner, the New England Patriots. It should have been pointed southeast.

The Steelers bring bellicosity to the football field. They slap you before you get a chance to slap them. They hit you harder than you hit them. They impose their will on you and dare you to match it.

They play football the way it was meant to be played: Hard and with relentless energy. Anything else is unacceptable.

They epitomize the city of Pittsburgh. Tough town. Too bad those who run the Browns donít relate better to Cleveland, which is also a tough town.

If you want to know more and exactly how the Steelers have done it, check out Tim Laydenís piece in Sports Illustrated two weeks ago. Fascinating read. Some day, that could be Cleveland.

Iím a firm believer in the trickle-down theory. The Steelers are all about the Rooney family. Even since Dan Rooney took over running the club from his father 40 years ago, they have been a different club.

For decades, the Steelers were laughable losers under Art Rooney. Dan Rooney brought an entirely different culture to the organization.

It was not all right to lose. It was not all right to be the butt of jokes. It was not all right to mail it on Sundays. That, he determined, was going to stop. And it did.

Since then, the Steelers have been the NFL model for consistency on many different levels, the most important of which is coaching with only three head coaches in the last four decades.

They play the game with the same proficiency as the Browns did from 1946 through 1970 when they were known as The Greatest Show in Football. Unfortunately, that legacy has been besmirched, with one notable exception, way too often since then.

If you want to model your team after any in the NFL, why not the Steelers? How can you argue with their successes? You donít have to like them, but how can you not respect what theyíve accomplished?

What makes that harder to swallow is the fact this is a young team that figures to get better. The Baltimore Ravens have copied some of the success of the Steelers, especially on defense, and most likely will provide the most opposition in the AFC North.

The Browns, meanwhile, have meandered in and out of coaching changes since their return. Eric Mangini is the fourth head coach in last10 years. Itís like throwing darts at a board and hoping something lands near the bullís-eye. Eventually, something is going to stick. The question is when?

In the end, itís the system that works in Pittsburgh. The Steelers look for and draft players who fit their system. There is a plan and they stick to it.

When Mike Tomlin was hired as head coach after Bill Cowher decided to retire, eyebrows were raised. Most experts believed Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt would get the job.

Tomlin was just 34 years old and had never been a head coach when Rooney made his choice. He had just one year of experience as a defensive coordinator with the Minnesota Vikings. And now here he is coach of the Super Bowl champions in his second year.

A gamble? You bet. But a calculated one. As it turned out, Rooney knew exactly what he was doing.

Tomlin came in and didnít change a thing outside of elevating Bruce Arians to offensive coordinator. The Steelers were successful before he arrived, so why tinker? Itís the system that works in Pittsburgh and Tomlin was wise enough to leave it alone.

Lerner needs to stop talking football with the Bob Krafts and Jerry Joneses of the world and turn his attention to Dan Rooney. Study how Rooney does it and copy.

Then and only then will the Browns have a chance to become the team fans expected by now.

(I am utterly gobsmacked by this article. An intelligent Clownie! Who would have thought such a person existed. Oh well I'm sure the rest of bitter, jealous psychotic Clownes will lynch him for speaking the truth. - mesa)

kingkulsteel
02-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Thats right browns fans bend over and take it.

jev7452
02-08-2009, 07:15 PM
i guess that kinda makes up for the other brownstain writer calling steeler nation white trash... kinda

SteelCurtain7
02-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Good article. :cool:

SteelersMongol
02-08-2009, 07:18 PM
:applaudit: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

SC Steeler Steve
02-08-2009, 07:20 PM
DAMN SKIPPY

HometownGal
02-08-2009, 07:21 PM
This just proves our theory around here that every team wants to be the Steelers and they put on the hate when they realize they can't be us, no matter how hard they put it at the top of their annual wish lists.

Nice to finally read an article from an "enemy" that is positive and most importantly - spot on. :thumbsup:

steelpride12
02-08-2009, 07:27 PM
We all know this up coming training camp is gonna be full of plays or wanna be plays trying to immate the plays of our Steelers. Its a copy cat league and why not copy the best!

mesaSteeler
02-08-2009, 08:40 PM
We all know this up coming training camp is gonna be full of plays or wanna be plays trying to immate the plays of our Steelers. Its a copy cat league and why not copy the best!

But they can not copy the Rooney's, the tradition of the Steelers, and the dedication and loyalty of the Steelers Universe. Note - Steelers Nation is no longer a adequate description since we were the first team in Sport to have fans in near Earth orbit. Let other pathetic fan bases have the description of nation. We are far more than a mere nation, we are the Universe. - mesa

StainlessStill
02-08-2009, 08:57 PM
The Clownies will forever be snout crust underneath our fingernails. Worthless organization. But hey, thanks for the kudos, shitstains!

PS. SteelersMongol, your sig kicks major ass!

devilsdancefloor
02-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Well you cant argue with our success! We should be the model franchise!:tt03::tt03:

PisnNapalm
02-08-2009, 09:25 PM
The guy knows football and recognizes the recipe for success. Quite frankly I'm stunned it was written by a Browns fan.

Hat's off to him for speaking the truth.

MasterOfPuppets
02-08-2009, 09:34 PM
you can't argue or deny success.......unless of course your talking about known CHEATERS.:popcorn:

Preacher
02-09-2009, 05:48 AM
What I don't get, is how everyone overlooks the simpliclity of the success.

Build through the draft.

Keep your coaches on for a the long haul.

Ignore your boneheaded fans... cause in the end they have no clue how to run a franchise or coach an NFL team.

Seems to me the Rooneys are doing it just right.

Milkman
02-09-2009, 06:47 AM
Nice article.

CB1977
02-10-2009, 10:48 AM
If I may comment on this...

My boyfriend and I are diehard Browns fans, the only difference being: my bf is an assistant high school football/basketball coach; has been for many years. He played sports in high school and at Kent State and has sports in his blood.

When the Steelers won the SuperBowl and everyone around him, including me, were pissed off because you guys won (sorry:wink02:), he was the only one that saw it the way it was. Although he likes the Browns, he claims the Steelers as his second favorite team. The reason? Because the Steelers know how to win games. Plain and simple. As a coach and as a huge sports fanatic, he watches the games in a different way than most fans watch it. He watches it as though he is coaching it and, most of the time, calls the same plays the coaches do. SImply, he knows the game, and that drives me crazy!!

He knows a good team when he sees one and gives credit where credit is due. He said the Steelers deserved the win. We've had a few disagreements about this throughout the season but, I know he knows a hell of a lot more about the game than I do and I know he's right.

You see, there are Browns fans out there that are giving your team credit for winning. Yes, there are many that are pissed just because the Steelers won but, you have to overlook them and give some of us credit as well, that recognize a good team when we see one.

Congrats.

drizze99
02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
What I don't get, is how everyone overlooks the simpliclity of the success.

Build through the draft.

Keep your coaches on for a the long haul.

Ignore your boneheaded fans... cause in the end they have no clue how to run a franchise or coach an NFL team.

Seems to me the Rooneys are doing it just right.

Exactly.

I will admit that during the Cowher era, I wanted him gone because I was convinced he couldn't get over the hump. Well its obvious that I was wrong because a Bill C team finally won the SB. With that said though, I do like Mikey T's style better.... just not Arians but that is for another thread. :laughing:

Point is, you can't have turnover/revolving door with you coaching staff and expect to be competitive.

aries4972
02-10-2009, 11:12 AM
(This is from the Orange and Brown report a Brownstain website.
http://cle.scout.com/2/837728.html
- mesa)

By Rich Passan

Posted Feb 8, 2009

While the NFL world looks to emulate the New England Patriots, the league's best franchise lies just 120 miles away from Cleveland. If only we allow ourselves to see it...

The blueprint to success for the Browns lies about 120 miles southeast of Cleveland.

It resides very comfortably and quietly among the hills of a former steel-reliant town that has broad shoulders and a football team that has produced two Super Bow championships in the last four years.

It is a very simple blueprint predicated on hard work, dedication, selflessness and an overwhelming desire to be the best.

The more that blueprint produces championships, the more upset Browns fans become. Instead of seeing things as they are, they choose to decry the success of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They mock and belittle that success. Sometimes in mean-spirited, nasty and vulgar ways.

Instead of actually acknowledging the Steelers know how to win Super Bowl titles, they slobber away with the excuses that officiating has given the Steelers their last two Vince Lombardi trophies.

Itís that type of rationale that blinds them to the realities of the Pittsburgh success. They cannot stand to see the Steelers win titles. The hate for the Steelers runs so deep on the part of many Browns fans on this Web site, they lose all objectivity and become delusional. They convince themselves the Steelers were handed the last two championships and absolutely nothing, not even common sense, will change that. Ever.

Fact of the matter is the better team won in Tampa on the first day of this month. Arizona had that game won with its first lead of the game with 2:30 left and the Steelers on their 12-yard line. The Steelers won that game more than the Cardinals lost it.

Look, I canít stand the Steelers, either. But I donít wear blinders and came to one conclusion about them a long time ago. They know how to play winning football. They make plays when playmaking is a necessity. And itís about time Browns fans come to their senses and realize that.

Sure, the Steelers can be arrogant. But arrogance is an entitlement when you win Super Bowls. One can only imagine how arrogant Browns fans would be if their team had the same success as the Steelers. Most likely more.

The Steelers have turned their rivalry with the Browns into a shamockery, as Ben Wallace of the Cavaliers would say. There is no longer a rivalry. Hasnít been for at least the last decade. Certainly not the way the Steelers have treated the Browns over that period of time. Itís not even close.

In order to beat the Steelers, you have to play like them. You have to be like them. You have to present a mirror image. Thatís the only language they understand.

Randy Lerner turned his head in the wrong direction when he decided to remodel his Browns after another proven winner, the New England Patriots. It should have been pointed southeast.

The Steelers bring bellicosity to the football field. They slap you before you get a chance to slap them. They hit you harder than you hit them. They impose their will on you and dare you to match it.

They play football the way it was meant to be played: Hard and with relentless energy. Anything else is unacceptable.

They epitomize the city of Pittsburgh. Tough town. Too bad those who run the Browns donít relate better to Cleveland, which is also a tough town.

If you want to know more and exactly how the Steelers have done it, check out Tim Laydenís piece in Sports Illustrated two weeks ago. Fascinating read. Some day, that could be Cleveland.

Iím a firm believer in the trickle-down theory. The Steelers are all about the Rooney family. Even since Dan Rooney took over running the club from his father 40 years ago, they have been a different club.

For decades, the Steelers were laughable losers under Art Rooney. Dan Rooney brought an entirely different culture to the organization.

It was not all right to lose. It was not all right to be the butt of jokes. It was not all right to mail it on Sundays. That, he determined, was going to stop. And it did.

Since then, the Steelers have been the NFL model for consistency on many different levels, the most important of which is coaching with only three head coaches in the last four decades.

They play the game with the same proficiency as the Browns did from 1946 through 1970 when they were known as The Greatest Show in Football. Unfortunately, that legacy has been besmirched, with one notable exception, way too often since then.

If you want to model your team after any in the NFL, why not the Steelers? How can you argue with their successes? You donít have to like them, but how can you not respect what theyíve accomplished?

What makes that harder to swallow is the fact this is a young team that figures to get better. The Baltimore Ravens have copied some of the success of the Steelers, especially on defense, and most likely will provide the most opposition in the AFC North.

The Browns, meanwhile, have meandered in and out of coaching changes since their return. Eric Mangini is the fourth head coach in last10 years. Itís like throwing darts at a board and hoping something lands near the bullís-eye. Eventually, something is going to stick. The question is when?

In the end, itís the system that works in Pittsburgh. The Steelers look for and draft players who fit their system. There is a plan and they stick to it.

When Mike Tomlin was hired as head coach after Bill Cowher decided to retire, eyebrows were raised. Most experts believed Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt would get the job.

Tomlin was just 34 years old and had never been a head coach when Rooney made his choice. He had just one year of experience as a defensive coordinator with the Minnesota Vikings. And now here he is coach of the Super Bowl champions in his second year.

A gamble? You bet. But a calculated one. As it turned out, Rooney knew exactly what he was doing.

Tomlin came in and didnít change a thing outside of elevating Bruce Arians to offensive coordinator. The Steelers were successful before he arrived, so why tinker? Itís the system that works in Pittsburgh and Tomlin was wise enough to leave it alone.

Lerner needs to stop talking football with the Bob Krafts and Jerry Joneses of the world and turn his attention to Dan Rooney. Study how Rooney does it and copy.

Then and only then will the Browns have a chance to become the team fans expected by now.

(I am utterly gobsmacked by this article. An intelligent Clownie! Who would have thought such a person existed. Oh well I'm sure the rest of bitter, jealous psychotic Clownes will lynch him for speaking the truth. - mesa)

i can sum up this article in two word:

COMMON SENSE :coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
02-10-2009, 11:26 AM
So copy us then.

Go find Big Ben, Troy P, Willie Parker, James H, Casey H, Hines Ward, S. Holmes, Heath Miller, Ike Taylor, Ryan Clark, Farrior, Foote, Woodley, Smith, Diesal, and the other 53 band of brothers and build yourself a team.

Good luck with that Chumps.

We all know darn good and well that Browns fans secretly wish they didn't have a team in the Cleveland so they could adopt the Steelers as their own and end the embarssement of being a Browns fans.

The L.A. Browns....there may be hope for your Cleveland Fans yet.

CB1977
02-10-2009, 11:47 AM
So copy us then.

Go find Big Ben, Troy P, Willie Parker, James H, Casey H, Hines Ward, S. Holmes, Heath Miller, Ike Taylor, Ryan Clark, Farrior, Foote, Woodley, Smith, Diesal, and the other 53 band of brothers and build yourself a team.

Good luck with that Chumps.

We all know darn good and well that Browns fans secretly wish they didn't have a team in the Cleveland so they could adopt the Steelers as their own and end the embarssement of being a Browns fans.

The L.A. Browns....there may be hope for your Cleveland Fans yet.

I don't think so.

Go back and re-read my post Dino...not all of us are like that. Chump.

Dino 6 Rings
02-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I don't think so.

Go back and re-read my post Dino...not all of us are like that. Chump.

I've been trying to get you to switch teams for like over a year now...I'm not going to stop now! :flap:

just send me the address and I'll send you a terrible towel that you can secretly wave when none of your friends or other browns fans are looking. :rofl:

crcsnail
02-10-2009, 12:00 PM
that was a good read > :)

RoethlisBURGHer
02-10-2009, 01:34 PM
I still don't know why a team would want to follow the footsteps of the Patriots.

I think it's obvious that they won thier three Super Bowls by cheating. They also got very lucky when Tom Brady turned out to be a HoF QB that nobody took until the 6th round rather than the career backup everyone thought he was.

They think that lightning struck twice with Cassel (seventh round pick), but I think he's overrated and the Pats are going to rape a team when they trade him this offseason/season.

The Browns, IMHO, if they wanna copy a team they have two teams in this division they should choose from...the Steelers and the Ravens.

Both teams play an attacking 3-4 defense. RAC played a pansy one and Mangini is going to play the same pansy 3-4 defense.

Both teams, when they hired thier current coaches, went with young guys that were surprise hires.

I know that the Browns haven't had a proven coach in ages. But they haven't exactly gone young and surprise either.

Chris Palmer
Butch Davis
Romeo Crennel
Eric Mangini

They wanted Cowher, he said no. But people forget when Noll and Cowher were hired, they were both very young and were kinda surprise choices, nobody saw them coming at all. Nobody saw Tomlin coming in Pittsburgh, and in Baltimore I don't think anyone expected Harbaugh to get the job either.

CB1977
02-10-2009, 01:49 PM
I've been trying to get you to switch teams for like over a year now...I'm not going to stop now! :flap:

just send me the address and I'll send you a terrible towel that you can secretly wave when none of your friends or other browns fans are looking. :rofl:

No no no no no no...never ever a Steeler fan...sorry!!! :wave:

Oh, and the terrible towel...send me two.

One to $hit on and one to cover it up with. :wink02:

Vincent
02-10-2009, 04:50 PM
The truth shall set you free.

Preacher
02-10-2009, 04:55 PM
No no no no no no...never ever a Steeler fan...sorry!!! :wave:

Oh, and the terrible towel...send me two.

One to $hit on and one to cover it up with. :wink02:

Congrats. . .

Attacking the terrible towel, AND getting Mangini as your coach, well, you've just condemned yourself to another half a decade of football hell!! :chuckle:

westcoastransplant
02-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Great article. The Rooneys have built this model franchise which can be summed up in one word, consistency. One ownership group/family in the history of the franchise. And you can tell by looking at Dan Rooney that he was born and raised in Pittsburgh and he never forgets what the team menas to the town and the style of football it wants to watch. And then you only have 3 coaches in 40 years. The Steelers don't have to answer a lot of the stability questions other franchises do. You know when you sign your contract, that the people at the top will stay the same and it creates a level of comfort. Just look at what every former player has said about the franchise. That is its truest test.