PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody else notice on Santo's SB TD catch???

CargoJon
02-08-2009, 07:31 PM
That Mewelde Moore was standing there open as hell on the 1 yard line?

There were three guys on Santonio and MeMo was way open.....

Funny to think we could have had a completely different hero on that night if Ben would have pumped to Santo and went to Mewelde...

HometownGal
02-08-2009, 07:35 PM
No - I didn't notice and at this point, it's moot. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. I'm ecstatic about how that game turned out and who made the TD catch - it is one of the best - if not THE best TD catch in Super Bowl history.

tyler289
02-08-2009, 07:36 PM
We all know Ben loves drama, and there's nothing more dramatic than a corner-of-the-endzone catch between 3 people.

Come on, you know that. :tt:

SC Steeler Steve
02-08-2009, 07:36 PM
I agree, but it would have took a good pump fake (something BB is certainly capable of) to Santonio to draw #20 (whoever #20 is) off of Moore. But you are right, he had his choice. But when you look at the whole field Santonio was actually wide open but it took a hell of a throw and catch to complete due to how close to the sideline he was. Also #20 (again whoever the hell #20 is) did make a good break on the ball when Ben put it up. But The other two had no chance.

CPanther95
02-08-2009, 07:40 PM
The hero could have been Fitz if anything at all changed. I'm not second guessing a thing. :coffee:

CargoJon
02-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Oh, I'm not second guessing anything at all.....but hey, after you've watched it 200 times on replay you start to pick up some little tidbits here and there.:tt02:

lilyoder6
02-08-2009, 08:00 PM
yea.. i saw the fact that memo was open by the time that ben released the ball.. but who cares.. we won the game

TampaSteelerFan
02-08-2009, 08:04 PM
http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=game-of-the-week&season=2008&seasonType=REG&week=21

This clip on nfl.com at about the 3:10 mark shows that Moore would not have been open at the 1 had Ben pumped and thrown to him instead. #20 (whoever the hell that is!!) would have definitely stopped Moore short of the goal line. Ben made the correct throw and the rest is history baby!

Godfather
02-08-2009, 08:04 PM
MeMo was the first option on that play...Ben didn't throw to him because he was covered (or more accurately he didn't have a clear path to the endzone). Ben made a great read because the defender was five yards off and looked like he was willing to concede the catch and just keep MeMo out of the end zone.

SteelCityKing
02-08-2009, 08:17 PM
if Moore would've caught that, then Ben probably would've gotten MVP. it was a game changer indeed...but it doesn't matter now. we're all set. =)

Morgan
02-08-2009, 08:30 PM
It was Moore who caused one of the DB's to move toward the goal line... the guy who ALMOST got his hands on the ball. If he hadn't moved closer to the goal line, he'd have been in position to tip the pass. But Moore could have been tackled outside the endzone. He was the 2nd read in the progression for the play.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-08-2009, 11:03 PM

Funny to think we could have had a completely different hero on that night if Ben would have pumped to Santo and went to Mewelde...

Actually, NO.

Ben explained the play and its a progressive read that went like this according to Roethlisberger.

1. Look to the RB in the flat, but he was covered.
2. Look to hines on the curl and he had a defender on him.
3. Look to Holmes running the corner route and he threw it where only Holmes could catch it. TOUCHDOWN!!!! :danceshout:

Moore ran straight to the flat around the 5 yard line and ended up on the 1 after the pass was thrown. He would have been the 4th read and we all complain around here that Ben hangs onto the ball too long. Great drive and play by Ben!!!

xFreeWord420x
02-09-2009, 12:00 AM

The reason he is open is because the ball was in the air... He was covered, and that is why Ben threw the pass to Santo. You didn't see Ben's interview when he said Santo was his 3rd look?

StainlessStill
02-09-2009, 01:29 AM
The reason he is open is because the ball was in the air... He was covered, and that is why Ben threw the pass to Santo. You didn't see Ben's interview when he said Santo was his 3rd look?

Spot on. You see Mewelde clearly covered in the flats and Ben then scans the field for more options. You could tell he scans back to his right to find Santonio and the DB pinched off of Moore at the time, and headed toward the Pylon a little too late, and couldn't make a play on a perfectly thrown ball. Santionio was the only one that had a shot, and he proved to Ben that he is for real. It should carry on nice for next season. (Limas needs to step up.)

Galax Steeler
02-09-2009, 03:26 AM
I don't think Moore was not as open as some thinks like someone stated above when the ball was in the air the deffender moved toward Holmes leaving Moore open inside the 5 yard line.

Steelcitygal87
02-09-2009, 04:47 AM

That is what I first thought as well, when I saw the replay. I guess he was covered before Ben let the ball go though...I still am not so sure...but oh well.

Steelcitygal87
02-09-2009, 04:52 AM
I don't think Moore was as open as some thinks like someone stated above when the ball was in the air the deffender moved toward Holmes leaving Moore open inside the 5 yard line.

Yeah, when I saw it at first I thought he was wide open and could have scored.

Preacher
02-09-2009, 05:37 AM
Wow...

Mr. Drama Ben is being second guessed. Who woulda thought?

Great play. Great catch. Moore woulda been tackled outside the endzone with no timeouts.

Sorry, you throw IN THE ENDZONE, or out of bounds.

SteelMember
02-09-2009, 08:20 AM

Exactly!!!

With time ticking off the clock, you throw to WIN the game.

Morgan
02-09-2009, 08:38 AM
They can waste as much time as they want second guessing 7 for 6. LOL Spend all offseason doing it for all I care. :)

stillers4me
02-09-2009, 08:41 AM
World Champions, baby! :tt03:

ahhhhh.........

CargoJon
02-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Wow...

Mr. Drama Ben is being second guessed. Who woulda thought?

Great play. Great catch. Moore woulda been tackled outside the endzone with no timeouts.

Nobody's second-guessing anything - just discussing.

Moore could have easily gotten out of bounds had he not been able to reach the end zone.

steelballs
02-09-2009, 09:39 AM
I didn't notice Mewelde being open. I think Ben said the hot route was Hines and when he was covered he then went to Santonio....regardless it was one heck of a play!

Steelcitygal87
02-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Nobody's second-guessing anything - just discussing.

Moore could have easily gotten out of bounds had he not been able to reach the end zone.

You brought up what you saw during the play.....imo...there is nothing wrong with discussing it.

I thought, as you did, that Moore was open BEFORE Ben let the ball go...he was standing right along the sideline not a defender within sight. Everyone is saying he was covered and then got open AFTER Ben let the ball go, but that really isn't how I saw it. I think you are right too in saying had he caught the ball, he could have easily stepped out of bounds, giving us a chance at a field goal. Actually, during the season there were a few games when Ben would go down field( not connect with the receiver), when there was another player in closer range, clearly open...in a better position to make a play. Sometimes( notice I did not say ALL THE TIME..so don't jump on me lol) I think he does have trouble with his reads. When he scrambles he is better at seeing the whole field.

xFreeWord420x
02-09-2009, 12:22 PM
You brought up what you saw during the play.....imo...there is nothing wrong with discussing it.

I thought, as you did, that Moore was open BEFORE Ben let the ball go...he was standing right along the sideline not a defender within sight. Everyone is saying he was covered and then got open AFTER Ben let the ball go, but that really isn't how I saw it. I think you are right too in saying had he caught the ball, he could have easily stepped out of bounds, giving us a chance at a field goal. Actually, during the season there were a few games when Ben would go down field( not connect with the receiver), when there was another player in closer range, clearly open...in a better position to make a play. Sometimes( notice I did not say ALL THE TIME..so don't jump on me lol) I think he does have trouble with his reads. When he scrambles he is better at seeing the whole field.

I'm not trying to be mean, but this is a ludicrous statement. Ben doesn't have trouble with his reads at all.. he just sees things that the normal eye can't. He can see a possible int when we see a guy who is open. He gets payed millions of dollars to do it, so I trust his every read.

Also, if you watch the play, Hines is supposed to pick off the LB to keep him off of MeMo, but it doesn't work. Hines was covered, Memo would have fell short, and Santo was in a great position with the fade route.

Steelcitygal87
02-09-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm not trying to be mean, but this is a ludicrous statement. Ben doesn't have trouble with his reads at all.. he just sees things that the normal eye can't. He can see a possible int when we see a guy who is open. He gets payed millions of dollars to do it, so I trust his every read.

Also, if you watch the play, Hines is supposed to pick off the LB to keep him off of MeMo, but it doesn't work. Hines was covered, Memo would have fell short, and Santo was in a great position with the fade route.

Trusting a player just because he makes millions of dollars doesn't make much sense to me either....how does that have anything to do with his reads ALWAYS being the correct ones? I mean, we all know players who make millions of bucks can ALWAYS be trusted and never do anything wrong.....right? And I did say SOMETIMES in my previous post. SOMETIMES, IMO, he makes an incorrect read. Sorry you view that as a ludicrous statement.

Benzbrother
02-09-2009, 03:03 PM

I watched it again today and honestly the way I saw it, was that Mewelde was covered pretty good until Ben released the ball and the defender cut to the corner of the endzone toward Santonio. It didn't even look like he was remotely "open as hell" but that is an interesting idea. I'll have to go back and watch it a few more times but I just don't see it....

FacemeIke
02-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Ben said he looked at Moore first and that he would have been tackled immediately around the 4 if he caught the ball. I think that if Moore would have been in position to catch the ball and make a move after the catch then Ben would have thrown him the ball and let him try to make a move and get into the endzone. Time is really not that big of a factor on that play. We could have still have spiked the ball with 20-25 seconds left at least and had a 3rd down play into the endzone.

xFreeWord420x
02-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Trusting a player just because he makes millions of dollars doesn't make much sense to me either....how does that have anything to do with his reads ALWAYS being the correct ones? I mean, we all know players who make millions of bucks can ALWAYS be trusted and never do anything wrong.....right? And I did say SOMETIMES in my previous post. SOMETIMES, IMO, he makes an incorrect read. Sorry you view that as a ludicrous statement.

I didn't say he doesn't make mistakes, and I didn't say just because he makes a million dollars he is always right. Read the post. What I was saying is; He makes the money for playing football? What do you do? I garuntee it isn't qbing for a professional football team. Just because you think it is the wrong read, doesn't mean it IS the wrong read. It doesn't mean anything. They see a lot more with their eyes, than we can see on TV.. and especially if your AT the game. So before you take things out of context, actually read them.

Behind Manning, Ben is one of the smartest QB's in the league. I would never second guess any read he ever has. Been playing QB a lot longer than any of us also.

Steelcitygal87
02-09-2009, 07:50 PM
I didn't say he doesn't make mistakes, and I didn't say just because he makes a million dollars he is always right. Read the post. What I was saying is; He makes the money for playing football? What do you do? I garuntee it isn't qbing for a professional football team. Just because you think it is the wrong read, doesn't mean it IS the wrong read. It doesn't mean anything. They see a lot more with their eyes, than we can see on TV.. and especially if your AT the game. So before you take things out of context, actually read them.

Behind Manning, Ben is one of the smartest QB's in the league. I would never second guess any read he ever has. Been playing QB a lot longer than any of us also.

No, but I played powder-puff football in high school...does that count?

For goodness sakes...you have your opinion and I have mine...let's just leave it at that.

xFreeWord420x
02-09-2009, 07:54 PM
No, but I played powder-puff football in high school...does that count?

For goodness sakes...you have your opinion and I have mine...let's just leave it at that.

Thank you. Thats all it is, is an opinion. :applaudit:

Steelcitygal87
02-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Thank you. Thats all it is, is an opinion. :applaudit:

You're welcome. :)