PDA

View Full Version : Monday Madden: What plus 6 equals 7?

mesaSteeler
02-09-2009, 05:58 AM
Monday Madden: What plus 6 equals 7?
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/02/08/sports/steelers/doc498fb2d9e8fc5678084426.txt
By Mark Madden, Special to The Times

As Pittsburgh basks in the afterglow of six, one burning question permeates the admittedly muddled mind of Yinzer Nation: How do we win No. 7 n’at?

(Let me parenthetically declare that I hope Dan Rooney or Roger Goodell tries to copyright “Stairway to Seven.” Not many can afford to wage legal battle with the Steelers or the NFL, but I bet Jimmy Page and Robert Plant can.)

Winning the Vince Lombardi Trophy next year is a very real possibility if the Steelers avoid a repeat of their 2006 Super Bowl hangover and make a few shrewd moves.

For those who expect a complete overhaul of the offensive line, forget it. That wouldn’t have happened even if the Steelers had lost their first playoff game.

An upgrade of any kind sounds good, though. Ben Roethlisberger made big play after big play behind the worst offensive line to ever win a Super Bowl. Imagine what he might do if those paid to protect him were even slightly above average.

Justin Hartwig emerged as a needed leader in Alan Faneca’s absence. Max Starks did his job reasonably well, but $6.875 million sure doesn’t buy what it used to. The others are subpar at best, garbage at worst, and they sure do commit a lot of penalties.

Maybe Marvel Smith will heal enough to play, maybe he won’t. Maybe the Steelers will re-sign him, maybe they won’t. Kendall Simmons isn’t great, but he’s a lot better than Darnell Stapleton. A first-round pick? A Jeff Hartings-level free-agent signing? Anything beats fearing for the franchise quarterback’s life on every snap.

James Harrison’s situation is intriguing. He reportedly wants $20 million guaranteed, same as Joey Porter got from Miami (and didn’t get from the Steelers). Harrison has one more year left on his deal, and the Steelers certainly won’t cut him.

But will they give Harrison that kind of money? Harrison is that rarest of players, one with legitimate leverage over the Steelers. Rooney doesn’t want to pay any non-QB such massive bank, especially at 30, but Harrison is the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year and was a Super Bowl difference-maker. He’ll get what he wants, or close.

So, Harrison won’t get released. Larry Foote might, especially if he won’t allow his $2.885 million salary to be cut. But Foote is a bona fide run stopper. While Lawrence Timmons has all the tools, he could use one more year to finish building his toolbox.

Bryant McFadden is an unrestricted free agent, very talented, the sort of player that might get overpaid somewhere else based on having played for a Super Bowl champion. The Steelers don’t seem to rate McFadden as highly as I do, and the strong play of William Gay might make the Steelers less inclined to keep McFadden.

Let’s hope not. With the amount of nickel and dime the Steelers play, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau can never have too many quality cornerbacks. Ike Taylor, Deshea Townsend, McFadden and Gay functioned well as a foursome and should yet again.

Nate Washington, also unrestricted, should beg the Steelers to keep him. Their appreciation for his meager skills simply won’t be matched elsewhere. Don’t be shocked if Limas Sweed emerges next season. If you drop a lot of balls, it means you get open a lot. Sweed can be the big receiver Roethlisberger craves if patience is exercised.

If Rashard Mendenhall’s bum shoulder is OK, he’ll usurp a lot of carries from Willie Parker. Mike Tomlin seems to prefer a power back. If nothing else, Mendenhall will provide serious assistance to the Steelers’ lame goal-line offense.

So, what do you think? I figure 15-1, 14-2. Anybody got a good catchphrase about winning No. 8?

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

revefsreleets
02-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Probably the best article this guy has ever written.

aries4972
02-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Madden is a fat azz blowhard ... I have a hard time believing that guy can even read much less put together an article...

markymarc
02-09-2009, 01:47 PM
I can't believe Mark Madden wrote this. Fatso actually said some nice things again about the Steelers. But he is crazy for thinking Timmons should sit behind Foote for another year. IMO Timmons should be the starter in 2009.

TampaSteelerFan
02-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Foote has been solid for us but he is definitely expendable. Timmons is more then ready to step into the starting lineup. Besides, I heard somewhere that Foote wants to play for the Lions since he is from there. If that's true we should trade him there for a pick...

How sick does a starting linebacker lineup of HARRISON-FARRIOR-TIMMONS-WOODLEY sound??

Mags87
02-09-2009, 02:03 PM
(Let me parenthetically declare that I hope Dan Rooney or Roger Goodell tries to copyright “Stairway to Seven.” Not many can afford to wage legal battle with the Steelers or the NFL, but I bet Jimmy Page and Robert Plant can.)

good thing we arent completely arrogant assholes (see 19-0)

Stlrs4Life
02-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Probably the best article this guy has ever written.

Beat me to it. When I first read his name, I said, Oh no, here we go.

Benzbrother
02-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Nice read thanks for the post!

steelreserve
02-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I can't believe Mark Madden wrote this. Fatso actually said some nice things again about the Steelers. But he is crazy for thinking Timmons should sit behind Foote for another year. IMO Timmons should be the starter in 2009.

Should be, but either way Timmons is guaranteed to get on the field pretty much the same as a starter, since he can play everything. What I worry about if Foote leaves is that guys get beat up all the time, which means we'd probably see a few games with Bruce Davis or Keyaron Fox as a starter. And we'd be one injury away from a whole season of that.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
As I previously stated.... Mark Madden knows his stuff.

Steelman16
02-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Personally, Timmons will be a beast and far surpass anything Foote ever gave us. I love Foote and how much he's done for us, but Timmons just has some sheer ability. Timmons has made some great plays for us this year, but almost as importantly, he's been a hair away from making even greater ones. (think, what if he drives back McClain from the endzone against Balti instead of stops him but lets him in? Daaaaannng)

Timmons will be the man, it's just a matter of when.

NJarhead
02-09-2009, 04:34 PM
He's lost all credibility with me. Couldn't care less what he says.

Dino 6 Rings
02-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Apparently, Mr Wrastling wants his fan base back now that we've won another Super Bowl.

Ef this guy. years of writing garbage does not get forgiven for one "ok" article.

This guy is still a TOOL BOX

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2009, 05:15 PM
The Steelers don’t seem to rate McFadden as highly as I do, and the strong play of William Gay might make the Steelers less inclined to keep McFadden.
does anyone really believe that someone in the organization, actually told fatass how much they "value" mcfadden ???:jerkit:

Nate Washington, also unrestricted, should beg the Steelers to keep him. Their appreciation for his meager skills simply won’t be matched elsewhere.

once again....is fatass a mindreader, that can speak 31 gm's thoughts ???:jerkit:

OX1947
02-09-2009, 05:33 PM
I have to admit. At least according this article, he hit every point on the head.

In the salary cap era, it is extremely hard to make things work sometimes. But Steelers reward those who continue to contribute. The Joey Porter release was more about production then pay. He did not play well enough to justify 20 mil guaranteed. Now Silverback had one of the greatest defensive seasons in the history of the NFL. And even though he is 30, he doesn't have the wear and tear of most guys, he has only been playing 5 years. Silverback has 5 more years of solid ball left.

Steelers will make it work, they always do.

HometownGal
02-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Once in a while, a blind squirrel finds a nut. I'm sure it absolutely KILLED him to write something positive about the Steelers. :pig:

Justin Hartwig emerged as a needed leader in Alan Faneca’s absence.

:laughing::rofl::laughing: Mkay. That is all.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Once in a while, a blind squirrel finds a nut. I'm sure it absolutely KILLED him to write something positive about the Steelers. :pig:

I have vowed to never post anything from him again....he can go back to writing wrestling articels...his facts and points are so fabricated ...he may be the "Rowdy Roddy" of sports journalists.

markymarc
02-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Should be, but either way Timmons is guaranteed to get on the field pretty much the same as a starter, since he can play everything. What I worry about if Foote leaves is that guys get beat up all the time, which means we'd probably see a few games with Bruce Davis or Keyaron Fox as a starter. And we'd be one injury away from a whole season of that.

Actually I am very interested in seeing how Bruce Davis progresses with an off season and see if he can step up and give Woodley or Harrison breathers when needed. I believe he can, but we shall see. I think Fox could be decent if he had to fill in for a few weeks. I know he was a rookie last year, but IMO Mike Humpal could be decent. He seemed to be around the ball when he played in the preseason games.

HometownGal
02-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Monday Madden: What plus 6 equals 7?

1 Big Daddy pizza with the works and 6 Primantis sammiches.

1 box of HoHos and 6 boxes of Twinkies.

1 Rack o' ribs and 6 extra large orders of fries.

:pig: :chuckle:

The Duke
02-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Actually I am very interested in seeing how Bruce Davis progresses with an off season and see if he can step up and give Woodley or Harrison breathers when needed. I believe he can, but we shall see. I think Fox could be decent if he had to fill in for a few weeks. I know he was a rookie last year, but IMO Mike Humpal could be decent. He seemed to be around the ball when he played in the preseason games.

I have high hopes for humpal too. He could be our next larry foote

Just really hope Davis shows something. This guy should follow silverback everywhere. Learn from the best

markymarc
02-10-2009, 09:29 AM
1 Big Daddy pizza with the works and 6 Primantis sammiches.

1 box of HoHos and 6 boxes of Twinkies.

1 Rack o' ribs and 6 extra large orders of fries.

:pig: :chuckle:

Sounds like a mid morning snack for Madden :chuckle:

markymarc
02-10-2009, 09:31 AM
I have high hopes for humpal too. He could be our next larry foote

Just really hope Davis shows something. This guy should follow silverback everywhere. Learn from the best

I totally agree on the Larry Foote comparison with Humpal. I just hope he is completely healthy and ready to progress and make the final 53 man roster. If Bruce Davis were smart he would follow Harrison everywhere. Like you stated learn from the best and he can even pick up a few pointers from Woodley.