PDA

View Full Version : Ben played SB with broken ribs

brick
02-09-2009, 12:17 PM
Roethlisberger played with broken ribs

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger played the Super Bowl with broken ribs, SI.com's Peter King has reported.

Coach Mike Tomlin had denied any injury problem with Roethlisberger in the week before the Super Bowl.

Roethlisberger was seen stretching his mid-torso region throughout the week and apparently was comfortable in the game, going 21-for-30 with 256 yards and the game-winning touchdown late in the fourth quarter to Santonio Holmes.

Roethlisberger also threw an interception and was sacked three times. The Steelers beat the Arizona Cardinals 27-23.

"Fractured ribs,'' Roethlisberger told SI.com. "Luckily, in the game, I didn't take any big hits to make 'em hurt. But I knew all along there was something wrong. There wouldn't have been anything they could have done about fractured ribs anyway. It was just suck it up and play.''

Roethlisberger was drilled in the back by a helmet during the AFC title game against the Baltimore Ravens on Jan. 18 and did not leave the game, though backup Byron Leftwich hurriedly warmed up.

Roethlisberger had expressed surprise anyone doubted that one of the NFL's toughest and most physical offensive players -- and the Super Bowl MVP three years ago -- would play.

"People ask me that question and I want to smack them," Roethlisberger said on the Monday before the game. "It's Hines Ward, he's going to be out here. It's the Super Bowl."

[+] (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3894263)

straight up, no nonsense toughness. does the business when it matters the most. just a great fit for the steelers i think. what a man.

i'm sure those ribs felt great while picking up that lombardi trophy :tt:

Edman
02-09-2009, 12:27 PM
What a drama queen.:sofunny:

TampaSteelerFan
02-09-2009, 12:32 PM
This just adds to the legend that is Big Ben!

Steely McSmash
02-09-2009, 12:43 PM
How great would that be if he smacked a reporter for doubting Hines Ward?

nojobny
02-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Ben is a machine!

brick
02-09-2009, 12:46 PM

when i read that part i actually pictured him doing it and i couldnt stop cracking up :laughing:

Benzbrother
02-09-2009, 12:49 PM
ya know I heard an analyst saying that he thought Big Ben "fakes" some of his injuries to give him an out in case the Steelers lose and nothing more pisses me off. I think I've seen Ben downplay more injuries than he does talk them up. I'm glad the x-rays ended up showing fractures even though he said he was fine all week. Shut up some of the haters.
GO STEELERS!!!

kittenfantastico76
02-09-2009, 12:52 PM

BWAAHAHA :sofunny: Then throw in a "He's Hines Ward, Betch!" for good measure!

This and his playing regardless of his injury list is what makes me love Ben - he's a stand up QB, and a great asset to this team! I'm glad he does as much for his guys as they do for him.. unlike some QB's.. *coughROMOcough*

fansince'76
02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
ya know I heard an analyst saying that he thought Big Ben "fakes" some of his injuries to give him an out in case the Steelers lose....

Let me guess - ESPN, right? :coffee:

Benzbrother
02-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Let me guess - ESPN, right? :coffee:

Yea and don't quote me on this but I almost want to think it was Steve Young......which seemed very uncharacteristic to me considering the way he talks about Big Ben other times. I don't know....just don't understand it

aries4972
02-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Yea and don't quote me on this but I almost want to think it was Steve Young......which seemed very uncharacteristic to me considering the way he talks about Big Ben other times. I don't know....just don't understand it

.....Young couldn't stand Big Ben prior to this years superbowl. He went out of his way to argue that Ben was not among the games elites. but after the "Thee Drive" you saw Youngs' mouth drop. he was stumbling over his words he couldn't get out enough praise to Ben Roe. It was weird to see him gush over somebody he thought all this time was a "game manager"... but he's a tool just like every other arsewipe they have on ESPN.... damn does anyone else remember when they were the best sports programming on TV... seems like a century ago... anyway screw em all. Big Ben is the BEST and will be for a long time to come. :applaudit:

:tt::tt02::tt::tt02::tt::tt02:

Benzbrother
02-09-2009, 01:19 PM
.....Young couldn't stand Big Ben prior to this years superbowl. He went out of his way to argue that Ben was not among the games elites. but after the "Thee Drive" you saw Youngs' mouth drop. he was stumbling over his words he couldn't get out enough praise to Ben Roe. It was weird to see him gush over somebody he thought all this time was a "game manager"... but he's a tool just like every other arsewipe they have on ESPN.... damn does anyone else remember when they were the best sports programming on TV... seems like a century ago... anyway screw em all. Big Ben is the BEST and will be for a long time to come. :applaudit:

:tt::tt02::tt::tt02::tt::tt02:

Yea, now that you say that I do remember Young talking down on Ben a lot. I guess the only thing really sticking in my mind was the Super Bowl post game when he repeatedly praised Ben as the should-be MVP

fansince'76
02-09-2009, 01:21 PM
.... damn does anyone else remember when they (ESPN) were the best sports programming on TV... seems like a century ago...

Yep. And then Disney took that network over and promptly ruined it.

The_WARDen
02-09-2009, 01:40 PM
[sarcasm]/Ben had an injury? Must he over-dramatize everything???!!!/[sarcasm]

12+88=6
02-09-2009, 03:05 PM
i stil don't know why the hit that gave him the bad ribs wasn't called a late hit. when i first saw it i was yelling at the tv. and then i saw it again on nfl network and it looked worse. he actually used his helemt as a weapon.

fansince'76
02-09-2009, 03:08 PM
i stil don't know why the hit that gave him the bad ribs wasn't called a late hit. when i first saw it i was yelling at the tv. and then i saw it again on nfl network and it looked worse. he actually used his helemt as a weapon.

Yep, Ben getting speared in the back with a helmet was a "clean" hit, but the hit that Clark laid out McGahee with later in the game when leading with his shoulder was "dirty." :rolleyes:

StainlessStill
02-09-2009, 04:01 PM
"He's not a man! He's a machine!"
Rocky IV reversed.

What a terminator Ben is.

The_WARDen
02-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Apparently, Colbert & Ben should talk once in a blue moon...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_610872.html

SteelCurtain7
02-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Ben is the toughest QB in the game today...if not one of the toughest players in the League. :tt:

alittlejazzbird
02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Why do we have to go through this nonsense every time an injury to Ben comes up? Before the article even begins, there's an error - Ben Roethlisberger didn't say ANYTHING on HIS website; he told Peter King in a phone interview on Saturday after Peter asked him how he was feeling...these stupid writers drive me nuts with inaccurate reporting...

Steelers didn't know Big Ben had 2 broken ribs
'Luckily I didn’t take any big hits,' Super Bowl hero says on his Web site
The Associated Press
updated 4:09 p.m. ET, Mon., Feb. 9, 2009
PITTSBURGH - The Pittsburgh Steelers have no knowledge that Ben Roethlisberger played the Super Bowl with two broken ribs, as the quarterback told a Web site.

According to SI.com, Roethlisberger said his fractured ribs did not show up on X-rays taken before he led the Steelers to a 27-23 win over Arizona on Feb. 1, but were revealed only during a MRI test he had last week.

“Luckily, in the game, I didn’t take any big hits to make ’em hurt,” Roethlisberger told SI.com. “But I knew all along there was something wrong. There wouldn’t have been anything that could have been done about fractured ribs anyway. It was just suck it up and play.

Roethlisberger did not miss any practices before the Super Bowl, although a pool report from the Wednesday practice said he attempted during the middle of the workout to stretch his torso. He missed one practice during the off week before the Super Bowl because of what the team said was a back injury.

“There’s not a whole lot to say,” Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said Monday. “Ben was fine to go. He was cleared to play. He didn’t miss any (practice) time. There was no doubt he was going to play.”

The Steelers said it would have been difficult for Roethlisberger to play any better than he did in leading the decisive 78-yard drive that ended with a precisely thrown 6-yard touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes with 35 seconds remaining, Several plays before, Roethlisberger — leading his sixth game-winning drive of the season — hit Holmes on a 40-yard completion.

Roethlisberger did not mention any possible injury during post-game interviews.

It is uncertain if the validity of Roethlisberger’s claim will be proven.

NFL teams do not routinely require players to undergo MRI or other medical tests during the offseason, and Roethlisberger isn’t due back in Pittsburgh until offseason workouts begin in April. By then, any problem that occurred before or during the Super Bowl might not show up in tests.

Roethlisberger has previously exaggerated or misstated injuries he supposedly suffered during his five-season career.

The day after the January 2005 AFC championship game, Roethlisberger said he broke two toes during the 41-27 loss to New England. Coach Bill Cowher emphatically denied that, saying the quarterback merely aggravated a toe injury from college. Roethlisberger never brought up the issue again.

Roethlisberger also said during training camp in 2006 that he played the Steelers’ Super Bowl-winning season of 2005 with a broken thumb. Roethlisberger missed no playing time after supposedly being hurt on Nov. 28, 2005, in Indianapolis and the team never revealed any such injury.

After Cowher resigned following the 2006 season, Roethlisberger acknowledged he and the coach didn’t always get along — in part, apparently, because Cowher felt the quarterback exaggerated the extent of injuries.

It also was reported that Roethlisberger sustained a spinal cord concussion against Cleveland on Dec. 28, but the team said only that he had a concussion.

“Ben’s health is often the subject of inaccurate reports,” coach Mike Tomlin said before the Super Bowl. “He’s fine.”

© 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29101292/

Benzbrother
02-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Why do we have to go through this nonsense every time an injury to Ben comes up? Before the article even begins, there's an error - Ben Roethlisberger didn't say ANYTHING on HIS website; he told Peter King in a phone interview on Saturday after Peter asked him how he was feeling...these stupid writers drive me nuts with inaccurate reporting...

Yea I just saw this on the ESPN website as well....There is way too much speculation that goes into shit like this. Just let it be

fansince'76
02-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Roethlisberger has previously exaggerated or misstated injuries he supposedly suffered during his five-season career.

Really? Prove it. Cowher's word alone ain't enough for me, sorry.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Any truth to the rumor that Ben actually died when he had that motorcycle crash....and has been playing with no recordable heartbeat or blood pressure for the last two years?:noidea:

Steelman16
02-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Any truth to the rumor that Ben actually died when he had that motorcycle crash....and has been playing with no recordable heartbeat or blood pressure for the last two years?:noidea:

:chuckle: I could only imagine what ESPN would have to say about that.

tony hipchest
02-09-2009, 05:16 PM
hes got nothing in his veins but ice.

Dino 6 Rings
02-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Big Ben once won a Super Bowl with 2 cracked ribs.

And as for Steve Young...How many Rings you have as a Starter Steve?

Yeah...STFU. Mr Young.

St33lersguy
02-09-2009, 05:45 PM

The ratbirds probably paid the refs to try to throw the game(that sure worked didn't it). That or the murdering ratbird king and some other lowlife thugs issued out bounties and death threats to the refs

St33lersguy
02-09-2009, 05:49 PM
This and his playing regardless of his injury list is what makes me love Ben - he's a stand up QB, and a great asset to this team! I'm glad he does as much for his guys as they do for him.. unlike some QB's.. *coughROMOcough*

"ow my pinky hurts, I can't play for a month. I suck I am all hype and no action. I can't win a December game to save my life. I can't make a pimple on big ben's ass. I am extremely overrated. I suck boohoo."
-Tony Homo

steelpride12
02-09-2009, 05:52 PM
So to all the people who say Ben is a drama queen and a sissy cry baby! This guy gets sacked and hit more than any QB and won a Super Bowl with two broken ribs. Thats alot of pain he hid and play with actually played amazing. So stuff non believers!

stillers4me
02-09-2009, 05:52 PM
"ow my pinky hurts, I can't play for a month. I suck I am all hype and no action. I can't win a December game to save my life. I can't make a pimple on big ben's ass. I am extremely overrated. I suck boohoo."
-Tony Homo before he passes out in the shower

There, that's better.

StainlessStill
02-09-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't get where people mark him as a cry baby from.. everyone plays with knicks and bruises.

If ANYTHING, it's the complete opposite and he makes no excuse of injuries or anything of that matter. Just revealing you have injuries doesn't make you a crybaby. Ben plays through lots of injuries that some have not and sat out from.

You'll always have someone who bitches, esp that FAG in Seattle Hasselback. Remember what he said about Ben? All in the midst of him being OUT because of injury. Whatta wuss.

Dino 6 Rings
02-09-2009, 05:57 PM
There, that's better.

Apparently....Tony's girlfriend chokes too...anyone see that story where she forgot the lyrics to some songs.

Peas in a Pod those too.

St33lersguy
02-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Apparently....Tony's girlfriend chokes too...anyone see that story where she forgot the lyrics to some songs.

It's a match made in heaven

HometownGal
02-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Broken ribs are very painful - I know that all too well. Broke 3 of mine on the left side a few years ago when the leg press I was using at the gym came back on me when I lost focus for a split second. For Ben to have played with that type of injury, you know he's one tough SOB.

XxKnightxX
02-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Aikman got crushed and he retired, Young got crushed and he retired, Ben slammed face first into a car, almost died, had a full facial reconstruction, had an appendectomy, and he played a full season.

Romo or brady report that then hes god. Im done listening to these media douches and the bashing.

And now they say he only had a concussion, but I sure as hell remember a doctor placing a pin on his hand and it was reported that ben felt numbness. Theres beyond no doubt that he had some spinal alteration on that hit.

Nuff said, Ben toughes QB in the league right now period.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Apparently....Tony's girlfriend chokes too....

Okay....I know what ya all are thinking.....NO FAT JOKES!!!!:nono:

lilyoder6
02-09-2009, 06:45 PM
:o

ben just threw it in there 2 show that he is a bad ass.. and the fact tony homo couldn't play with a broken finger

1978steeler
02-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Broke 1 rib playing football....trust me when I say I played with it but it hurts!

Ben is a BAD SOB and this just adds to the legend.

Burghfan58
02-09-2009, 06:59 PM
I don't give 2 $hits if people want to label him a whiner. Ben can whine all the way to Canton as far as I'm concerned as long as he keeps winning Lombardis.:drink:

mesaSteeler
02-09-2009, 08:11 PM
'Big Ben' sending subtle sign?
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-2-71/-Big-Ben--sending-subtle-sign-.html
February 9, 2009 3:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker
Roethlisberger

Ben Roethlisberger's admission to Sports Illustrated that he played with fractured ribs in Super Bowl XLIII should tell the Pittsburgh Steelers one thing: He needs more protection this offseason.

Add broken ribs to the list of injuries Roethlisberger suffered throughout the 2008 title run, including a sprained shoulder, injured thumb, concussion and hand injury. That's five ailments for a $102-million quarterback in one season. He cannot take that kind of beating again if Pittsburgh wants Roethlisberger to last the duration of his eight-year deal.

Sure, Roethlisberger has a penchant for holding the football too long in an effort to make big plays. His backyard style is what makes him unique yet also leads to a lot of hits.
Ultimate Audio: Super Bowl XLIII
NFL.com Video
Take in the game like never before. For a surround-sound experience, headphones are key.

But that's even more of a reason to bolster and put money into Pittsburgh's front five. It will be up to the team -- either through the draft or free agency -- to find offensive linemen good enough and mobile enough to fit Roethlisberger's style.

This is a good time for Pittsburgh to do a major overhaul. Four offensive linemen, including tackles Max Starks and Marvel Smith, will become unrestricted free agents. A fifth lineman in tackle/guard Willie Colon will be a restricted free agent.

The Steelers are not a free-spending organization. But if they spend significant money on anything this offseason, it should be on remaking the offensive line.

Roethlisberger, and his fractured ribs, will be thankful.

UPDATE [5:10 p.m.]: The Steelers are saying they had no knowledge of the rib injury to Roethlisberger.

"There's not a whole lot to say," Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said Monday. "Ben was fine to go. He was cleared to play. He didn't miss any [practice] time. There was no doubt he was going to play."

Pittsburgh Steelers, AFC North, Ben Roethlisberger, Super Bowl 43, Max Starks, Willie Colon, Marvel Smith

The Duke
02-09-2009, 08:29 PM
I am SO glad ESPN is trying to make a big deal out of this

:coffee:

touchdownward
02-09-2009, 09:51 PM

It was Steve Young and it was on the SB pre-game. Young was tripping over his bottom lip congratulating Big Ben after the game.

devilsdancefloor
02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Oh that drama queen :uhh::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

i am so glad he is our QB!

lilyoder6
02-09-2009, 10:13 PM
i love the fact that warren sapp was dogging on big ben for having a cam corder and had it on when he came off the plane and the post-game he was like huh, well... historical

Galax Steeler
02-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Ben is one tought customer. I couldn't think of another quarterback I would rather have on my team.

steelerdave1969
02-10-2009, 05:44 AM
No doubt about it, I love Ben and his toughness but if the Steelers org. doesnt help to protect him with a Lot Better Line then he Isnt going to make it to the end of his first 5 years of his contract.. simple as that