PDA

View Full Version : I'm probably most happy for Orpheus Roye getting a Ring.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Gotta say that a lot of guys had minor roles and got a ring, like Leftwich, Fernando Bryant, Jeremy Parquet, etc. Then there are a lot of vets that just came over since XL like Moore, McHugh, Fox, Ryan Clark, Berger, Retofsky, etc.

But I can remember Orpheus Roye as a rookie wedge buster on kickoff coverage teams. Its good to see him come back home and get a ring, even with just a minor contribution this season.

tony hipchest
02-09-2009, 04:19 PM
kinda like willie williams in sb XL

The Duke
02-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah, me too

Like they were saying at the parade, we rescued him from cleveland

He's what 35, 36? Most probably won't be here next season. thanks for the contributions Roye :hatsoff:

BlastFurnace
02-09-2009, 04:28 PM
I still remember a preseason game..must have been around 1998 or 1999 where Cowher was yelling "Orpheus" "Orpheus" on the sideline trying to get his attention. Bill was pissed about something, but Roye never turned around. I got a good laugh about it when it happened.

I wonder if Orpheus has ever forgiven Hines for lighting him up on a block...I think it was in 2004.

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2009, 04:31 PM
the way i see it, if a player chooses to leave a contender for a scrub team , just to chase the $$$$$$$......screw em.....they deserve to be losers...:coffee:

NJarhead
02-09-2009, 04:33 PM
the way i see it, if a player chooses to leave a contender for a scrub team , just to chase the $$$$$$$......screw em.....they deserve to be losers...:coffee:

Ditto.

Edman
02-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm kinda happy for Roye too, even if he had years of Cleveland taint on him.

tony hipchest
02-09-2009, 05:13 PM
im just glad he didnt bring the staph to the steelers locker room. gotta watch for infesting our compound with those brownie players.

StainlessStill
02-09-2009, 05:17 PM
It's funny this thread has come up. I always liked Roye, mainly because of his PANCAKING on kick off team.

I was about 11 years old in the 1996 playoff game against Indianapolis (the one where Harbaugh was getting MAULED by Brown all game long in a BEATDOWN.)

My dad kept telling me to watch #71 and how he just runs over anything in his path. From that day on I have a little special place in my heart for him, and I too, am glad he got a ring.. esp when he was kept hostage being apart of the Shitstains.

Morgan
02-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I like stories about guys like our replacement longsnapper who was being a professional mover when the first guy went down.

nojobny
02-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Gotta say that a lot of guys had minor roles and got a ring, like Leftwich, Fernando Bryant, Jeremy Parquet, etc. Then there are a lot of vets that just came over since XL like Moore, McHugh, Fox, Ryan Clark, Berger, Retofsky, etc.

But I can remember Orpheus Roye as a rookie wedge buster on kickoff coverage teams. Its good to see him come back home and get a ring, even with just a minor contribution this season.

I was wondering about that. Who actually gets a ring? Does someone like Mendenhall get one or no b/c he was on IR?

lilyoder6
02-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I was wondering about that. Who actually gets a ring? Does someone like Mendenhall get one or no b/c he was on IR?

evryone player on the team gets a ring... that means active roster, IR, PS... i

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2009, 06:44 PM
He only played special teams for us? I didnt know that...
Yeah, when he was a rookie DT, he played special teams. Then worked his way onto the D line and was a force, but left for Cleveland and the big contract. I don't begrudge anybody that leaves to make more $$$.

Tough to hate on guys like Roye, Rod Woodson, Willie Williams, Hardy Nickerson, Joey Porter, etc.

zsheik22
02-09-2009, 06:55 PM

To them it's a career man. These guys destroy their health playing, of course they're going to want to make more money.

I do understand what you mean though.

steeltheone
02-09-2009, 07:19 PM
It's funny this thread has come up. I always liked Roye, mainly because of his PANCAKING on kick off team.

I was about 11 years old in the 1996 playoff game against Indianapolis (the one where Harbaugh was getting MAULED by Brown all game long in a BEATDOWN.)

My dad kept telling me to watch #71 and how he just runs over anything in his path. From that day on I have a little special place in my heart for him, and I too, am glad he got a ring.. esp when he was kept hostage being apart of the Shitstains.

I was at the game.....Harbaugh was bloody....Chad Brown was Beast

rick723
02-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I like stories about guys like our replacement longsnapper who was being a professional mover when the first guy went down.

I was in the hospital and the nurse saw my steeler blanket my wife brought me. Couldn't wear a sweatshirt it was open heart. She said her high school friend played for the Steelers, Greg Warren. I said nah he retired. She said hey I only been out of high school a while then I remembered he got hurt. Story is, Greg called rutizuski, (No way I can spell it) told his friend, hey I just blew out my knee, give the Steelers a call. He called, got a look, made the team. Good story huh?

markymarc
02-10-2009, 07:04 AM
It is nice when players like Roye finally get a super bowl ring.

Dino 6 Rings
02-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Ryan Clark. I think he did a great job complimenting Troy and being the guy to take over for Chris Hope when he left to go lose in Tennessee.

NJarhead
02-11-2009, 02:57 PM
The one guy I loved and would welcome back with open arms is Antwaan Randle El. How can you not love the guy.

steelballs
02-12-2009, 06:47 AM
Ryan Clark. I think he did a great job complimenting Troy and being the guy to take over for Chris Hope when he left to go lose in Tennessee.

I have to side with you on this one...Clark's story is one that really brings it home. He took over for Hope with no let down, then was floored by that medical issue that almost cost him his life, let alone his spleen and bladder.

He not only comes back from that, but plays at a high level all year in route to a SB Championship. Great stuff.
On top of that, he's a real nice guy. We had the opportunity to talk to Ryan for a few minutes up in Latrobe and he was as genuine a person as you'll ever find.

RJC
02-12-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm most happy for Jared Reftkofsky and Sean McHugh. From zero to hero in 3 months time....

lardlad
02-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Yeah how cool is that. I was happy for him too.