PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have NINE draft picks in the 2009 draft.

Edman
02-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Interesting.

There is NO excuse this time around to avoid the Lines. I expect Tomlin and Colbert to do some wheeling and dealing in the draft. No way do nine draft picks stick on this roster.

Considering Marvel will be let go, Starks will be resigned and a rookie will be brought in. And the Steelers need a D-End to groom.

Steelman16
02-09-2009, 04:23 PM
I didn't realize we had nine. That extra 3rd should help with trade leverage though, should we decide to trade up or down.

You're right, though, we have too much of an experienced and talented team to suddenly have nine new faces come season time.

O-line, IMO, is probably the only position where we could possibly take a lesser talent and him still be able to make the cut. Still, I think we need to do the expected and take a blue-collar lineman in the first or second round.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
I agree, I just hope that there are quality linemen there when we pick. If there isn't an available lineman worth the pick, I would rather go with another need or BPA.

Morgan
02-09-2009, 04:53 PM
OL OL OL OL OL

steelpride12
02-09-2009, 04:55 PM
So the OL should be the concentration on the first 2 or 3 picks followed by a defensive end, and a young CB, because I expect Mcfadden to go and Gay willl step up to the Nickle corner.

Dino 6 Rings
02-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm gonna guess.

1st pick. NT or DL
2nd pick. OG or OT
3rd pick WR or OG
4th pick CB
5th pick DL
6th pick CB or FB (yeah, I said it full back!)
7th pick OL
8th pick WR
9th pick CB or WR

St33lersguy
02-09-2009, 04:59 PM
This is the perfect oppurtunity to trade up for an OL. Heck we could try to use thise extra picks and Foote to grab that #1 spot and draft one of the Smith tackles. (Note: second sentence is just wishful thinking as I realize that WILL NOT happen) I am atleast hoping that it's not another RB. I don't even want the Steelers to draft Jim Brown coming out of college

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2009, 05:07 PM
:link:

SC Gamecokk
02-09-2009, 05:14 PM
This is the perfect oppurtunity to trade up for an OL. Heck we could try to use thise extra picks and Foote to grab that #1 spot and draft one of the Smith tackles. (Note: second sentence is just wishful thinking as I realize that WILL NOT happen) I am atleast hoping that it's not another RB. I don't even want the Steelers to draft Jim Brown coming out of college

quite a thought, but after seeing what jake long got last year, there's no way we can afford the #1 spot! we could swing 10-15th pick, but no way can we do #1

#1LambertFan
02-09-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm gonna guess.

1st pick. NT or DL
2nd pick. OG or OT
3rd pick WR or OG
4th pick CB
5th pick DL
6th pick CB or FB (yeah, I said it full back!)
7th pick OL
8th pick WR
9th pick CB or WR

I'm not guessing how it will go and am stating what I think would be best for the team.

1st: LT- to protect Ben
2nd: RT- to pave the road for FWP and Mendenhall
3rd: CB- remember we don't pick DL until later in the draft normally (and it hasn't failed us yet
4th: LE- but then again we don't have much time for "grooming" (remember this is a third round 32nd pick
5th: NT- The big snack gets a young'n. Hope he don't eat him.
6th: CB or WR(kick return)- this one will have to be a burner and hold on to the ball
7th: C- really just to make fans happy
8th: FS- a good sleeper pick will do nicely at this position
9th: LB or CB- we have been taking a lot of late linebackers these past few years and I think this will more likely happen although another CB would be nice to see.

Let's see on Draft Day

lilyoder6
02-09-2009, 05:25 PM
i could see us trying to shop foote around and get something from in.. throw in a draft pick 2 move up.. that would be nice 2 get a player we need

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Nice fabrication. I still see no link that we somehow got 2 extra compensatory picks.

Considering there is nothing up on the Steelers official site, the NFL site, the P-G site and the 2008 NFL Compensatory draft picks were handed out March 31, 2008.........this must be pure speculation.

:link: Please.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Since compensatory picks are awarded at the annual meeting (which is held at the end of March)....we have NOT been awarded any additional picks at this time.

...nuff said

OX1947
02-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Rumor is Steelers might get a 3rd rounder for the comp pick on Faneca. I don't know the details on how that works exactly but the likelihood is a 4th but if they happen to get luck and get the 3rd, I could see the Steelers trading up.

The Steelers need a top notch center. Hartwig is ok but those 3rd/4th and 1s this year were so nerve wrecking, I do not want to go through it again next year. He was not the only reason but Simmons played on the 2005 super bowl team and I don't remember him getting blown off like he did this year before he got injured. Being someone who played the center position in my football career, the center calls the plays at the line and its important to make the right calls and carry your weight so that everyone down the line from guard, to tackle to the tight end can do what they need to do.

I have been on the Alex Mack bandwagon all year. I have been because I have first hand knowledge of what kind of player and guy he is from a friend of mine that works at Cal.

A lot of Mock drafts have Alex falling to us, but after his impressive Senior Bowl, he may have gone up. So I'm think if the Steelers sense that he might be a guy they like and that he might go earlier then 32, then maybe they use that extra 3rd rounder to go up.

Getting Alex mack and solidifying the center position for the next 10-12 years now helps Ben have a better career. Sign Starks and keep him at LT. Simmons comes back, move hartwig to LG and let Kemo go. Then let Essex and Colon fight for RT. If I had a choice though, I would try and see if they could get someone else on the right side or hope that essex develops well enough to play RT.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Rumors suck!!!! I'll wait to see if we are lucky enough to get 1 extra pick instead of posting that we got 2.

Like LLT said....

Since compensatory picks are awarded at the annual meeting (which is held at the end of March)....we have NOT been awarded any additional picks at this time.

tony hipchest
02-09-2009, 06:15 PM
i think hes counting an extra pick for mahan, and assuming we get one for faneca.

i still thing we land a 3rd for alan, but MOP showed evidence that makes me wonder.

if theres a ryan clady type sitting there around 12-15 i hope we do anything it takes to move up.

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2009, 06:20 PM
i think hes counting an extra pick for mahan, and assuming we get one for faneca.

i still thing we land a 3rd for alan, but MOP showed evidence that makes me wonder.

if theres a ryan clady type sitting there around 12-15 i hope we do anything it takes to move up.i'm with ya on that one......i keep saying this is the year they need to get agressive with trades....even if it means trading next years picks.

revefsreleets
02-09-2009, 06:54 PM
I formulated this early, but I'm running with it: Steelers package a RB in a trade to move up and select ???. But I think they have ONE player in mind...

SteelCityMan786
02-09-2009, 07:02 PM
The Steelers do have an extra 7th Round Pick from the Mahan Trade.

tony hipchest
02-09-2009, 07:27 PM
i'm with ya on that one......i keep saying this is the year they need to get agressive with trades....even if it means trading next years picks.steelers gave up their first, second and a 5th i believe to swap giants 1st and 3rd, just to move up 7 spots and take santonio in 06. i think moving up into the teens is very doable.

lilyoder6
02-09-2009, 07:32 PM
i knew from the beginning the steelers would have at least 8 picks in next yrs draft...

the 7 given 2 us and the shitty pick from mahan...

i just think he hopes we get an extra 3rd for alan faneca.. but come on.. i think we WILL get a 3rd b/c of the fact alan went 2 the pro-bowl this yr

Acerero'1972
02-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Nice fabrication. I still see no link that we somehow got 2 extra compensatory picks.

Considering there is nothing up on the Steelers official site, the NFL site, the P-G site and the 2008 NFL Compensatory draft picks were handed out March 31, 2008.........this must be pure speculation.

Agree

CargoJon
02-09-2009, 09:14 PM
We need to find the Carl Nicks of the 2008 draft. That dude was taken in the 4th and earned a starting spot and was a road grader for the Saints.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Somebody posted earlier that its no lock we get a comp for Faneca, Haggans, etc leaving...because we picked up Moore, Fox, McHugh and some other free agents.

I did a mock and all the good OT's are gone by 21 where the Lions and Eagles pick, so we gotta be aggressive if we want a young OT....but I dont know if that will happen. Will have to move from 32-15 to get an OT.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2009, 09:37 PM
We need to find the Carl Nicks of the 2008 draft. That dude was taken in the 4th and earned a starting spot and was a road grader for the Saints.

Please don't remind me. :banging:

Here is what I posted during the 3rd round of last years draft.(remember, just before we took Bruce Davis).

Lots of good linemen available still. Barton isnt one if them IMO. I said he was a 4th rounder at best and might slide to the 5th. I'm sticking with that but what do I know.

Collins, Nicks, Zuttah are way better options. http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=24740&highlight=Carl+Nicks&page=91

tony hipchest
02-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Somebody posted earlier that its no lock we get a comp for Faneca, Haggans, etc leaving...because we picked up Moore, Fox, McHugh and some other free agents.

I did a mock and all the good OT's are gone by 21 where the Lions and Eagles pick, so we gotta be aggressive if we want a young OT....but I dont know if that will happen. Will have to move from 32-15 to get an OT.where does green bay draft? i think its around #15.

its already established we will give up a 2nd and a 5th to move up from 32 to 25. however nobady can convince me dom capers and kevin greene wouldnt want a player like larry foote at $3 mil/ year to help make the transition to a 3-4. they know if he's dropped he would like to play in detroit. if we could trade him and our first to jump up, we convert his value to about a 2nd-3rd round pick.

KeiselPower99
02-09-2009, 09:39 PM

We traded Sean Mahan for a 6th rounder. That is 8 picks right there.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2009, 09:44 PM
We traded Sean Mahan for a 6th rounder. That is 8 picks right there.
According to ESPN it was a 7th, but you are right.....that makes 8 picks.

A year after signing Sean Mahan to help the interior of their offensive line, the Steelers decided to go a different direction by trading him back to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a seventh-round pick.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3565737&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2009, 09:48 PM
where does green bay draft? i think its around #15.

its already established we will give up a 2nd and a 5th to move up from 32 to 25. however nobady can convince me dom capers and kevin greene wouldnt want a player like larry foote at $3 mil/ year to help make the transition to a 3-4. they know if he's dropped he would like to play in detroit. if we could trade him and our first to jump up, we convert his value to about a 2nd-3rd round pick.

I have Chicago taking Oher at 18 and Detroit taking Eben Britton at 20. (of course all speculation).......so the option might be trading a LB like Foote to Tampa to help on their defense, but he doesnt fit that well in a 4-3.

I like the Packers LB corps of Hawk, Barnett, so Foote might not be that attractive to them, but we might be able to trade something to get up there.

tony hipchest
02-09-2009, 10:04 PM
I have Chicago taking Oher at 18 and Detroit taking Eben Britton at 20. (of course all speculation).......so the option might be trading a LB like Foote to Tampa to help on their defense, but he doesnt fit that well in a 4-3.

I like the Packers LB corps of Hawk, Barnett, .me too, but neither has exclusively played the 3-4 or won 2 sb's in that system.

i'd hate to just cut foote and see him in a patriots uniform for the next 4-5 years. that is the nature of the beast though.:noidea: even if we trade him, doesnt mean the team we trade him to has to start him.

OneForTheToe
02-09-2009, 10:09 PM
I am not going to get that excited over a second 7th round pick considering you will be picking guys that most likely you could get as a rookie FA., a few hours after the draft ends.

tony hipchest
02-09-2009, 10:26 PM
I am not going to get that excited over a second 7th round pick considering you will be picking guys that most likely you could get as a rookie FA., a few hours after the draft ends.

keisel
harrison
parker
washington

1/7th (= rounds in the draft) of our sb starters were 7th round draft picks or worse.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2009, 09:21 AM
keisel
harrison
parker
washington

1/7th (= rounds in the draft) of our sb starters were 7th round draft picks or worse.

Shaun Nua
J.T. Wall
Eric Taylor
Cedric Humes

no matter how thin you slice it, there are always two sides. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2009, 09:27 AM
i'd hate to just cut foote and see him in a patriots uniform for the next 4-5 years. that is the nature of the beast though.:noidea: even if we trade him, doesnt mean the team we trade him to has to start him.
If we cut Foote, we have to absorb some of his salary. If we trade him, we trade him with his contract. I'd rather take a trade, but think we might just get a 5th rounder from his hometown Lions and then have to use that for what little its worth to trade up in the draft.

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 09:57 AM
no matter how thin you slice it, there are always two sides. :chuckle:true, but if you look at the 22 starters in the superbowl, the 7th round and UDFA is just as successful as any other (other than the 1st of course).

1st round- 6-7 starters + timmons?
2nd round- 3 starters?
3rd round- 3-4 starters?
4th round- 2 starters + sepulveda?
5th- 2?
6th- 1?
7th and udfa- 3 + washington

midround numbers could be off by 1-2.

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 09:59 AM
If we cut Foote, we have to absorb some of his salary. If we trade him, we trade him with his contract. I'd rather take a trade, but think we might just get a 5th rounder from his hometown Lions and then have to use that for what little its worth to trade up in the draft.we need to convince the cowboys or the packers they cant live w/o him. if the 'boys dont land ray-ray, maybe he has more value than to the lions.

lilyoder6
02-10-2009, 10:08 AM
we need to convince the cowboys or the packers they cant live w/o him. if the 'boys dont land ray-ray, maybe he has more value than to the lions.

thats true... foote has 2 rings and the exp needed in the cowboy locker room.. haha

foote barely held off timmons this past season.. so instead of paying him 2.2 mill or w/e it is 2 be a back-up... i say trade him and ge something out of it.. there has 2 be a team out there that will give us a good/decent pick

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 10:26 AM
thats true... foote has 2 rings and the exp needed in the cowboy locker room.. haha

foote barely held off timmons this past season.. so instead of paying him 2.2 mill or w/e it is 2 be a back-up... i say trade him and ge something out of it.. there has 2 be a team out there that will give us a good/decent pickwell, gonzo is right, hes probably only worth a 5th rounder in a sound market. hell, even the superstars rarely get a 2nd or 3rd but alot of that has to do with the money tied up with them. its very rare to find a sucker like the saints or seahawks to make a shockey/branch type trade. but we must try.

i think foote is too cheap and valuable of a player to cut. i dont think teams made offers for porter cause the writing was on the wall for him. its a bit different story with foote.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2009, 10:31 AM
If we can trade Foote for a 5th and unload his salary to help extend Miller, Harrison, McFadden or Woodley..........its a great move!!

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-10-2009, 02:02 PM
we need to convince the cowboys or the packers they cant live w/o him. if the 'boys dont land ray-ray, maybe he has more value than to the lions.

Hmm how would we get Jerry Jones to bite? Maybe tell him that Foote just signed with dancing with the stars because we all know Jones loves the media circus.:popcorn:

JoeLion
02-10-2009, 02:16 PM
If they pick a WR in this draft I think that will tell alot about their expectations of Sweed and the resigning Nate. I would not rule out a short yardage big back in the later rounds. Definetly OL, DL and always at least one LBer.

MasterOfPuppets
02-10-2009, 03:49 PM
i forgot about the cowboys....good call....they really need an ILBER.....too bad canty doesn't have a year left on his contract. that would be a good even up trade.

truesteelerfan
02-11-2009, 10:00 AM
OL or DL first round. Should take the highest rated left on our boards as OL last year went way faster than I think the Steelers anticipated and 3rd round rated OL were being taken in the 1st round just to make sure teams got one. If that happens again, as much as I want someone up front for Ben and FWP, a 4th best DL is better than a 12th best OL.

steelerdave1969
02-11-2009, 10:08 AM
If the steelers could trade up to the Lions 2nd first round pick, I think they could get a very nice player at OT or maybe DE/DT and that would be a nice move up move in my opinion.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Trade our 1ST and our 2ND to the Detroit or Philly who are Pick 20 and 21. From their we go after a STUD OL like Oher or the Smiths,

Then we trade our 2 3rd round picks to move back into the second round to go after a CB/KR

Then we will sit out on our 3rd Round

4th go after a DE

5th Saftey

6th 7TH- Special teams

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Trade our 1ST and our 2ND to the Detroit or Philly who are Pick 20 and 21. From their we go after a STUD OL like Oher or the Smiths,

Then we trade our 2 3rd round picks to move back into the second round to go after a CB/KR

Then we will sit out on our 3rd Round

4th go after a DE

5th Saftey

6th 7TH- Special teams

The problem is that both DETROIT and PHILLY need a LT too. The thing to do is trade up to 19 and get ahead of the Lions and Iggles..........but that will take a lot.