PDA

View Full Version : Would you give up a 4th rounder for Tony Gonzalez?

SC Gamecokk
02-09-2009, 07:23 PM
simply a hypothetical question. i am COMPLETELY aware that we don't NEED him!

the guy is a proven winner. all he wants to do is win a super bowl at his age, he could care less about money at this point in his career. imagine him and heath miller in a two TE set with holmes or ward. ben could absolutely scorch a defense with those weapons. would it be worth a 4th rounder for two or so years of his service? just throwing it out there for discussion. you would think he'd be all over the steelers if he had the opportunity.

drizze99
02-09-2009, 07:26 PM
I would trade a 4th in a heartbeat for Gonzo but I am sure KC will want a higher pick.

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2009, 07:28 PM
in a freakin heartbeat !!!.... he's still got a few good years left, not to mention most 4th rders end up cut after a few yrs anyway.

tony hipchest
02-09-2009, 07:29 PM
id rather trade a 3rd rounder for orlando pace. the rams are only asking for a 3rd rounder for torry holt also.

trading for these guys is the easy part. dealing with their contracts is where it gets hard.

HometownGal
02-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Most definitely. Ben and Gonzo would tear up that field together! :thumbsup:

Sadly, though - aint gonna happen.

Carolina Steelers
02-09-2009, 07:35 PM
We have another needs. No I think Heath is an excellent TE and still improving and Spaeth played good this year when called upon. I Think were set at TE. Even though Gonzo had great numbers with Tyler Thigpen could only imagine what he could do with Ben

SC Gamecokk
02-09-2009, 07:39 PM
they're idiots if they draft a QB at #3. tyler thigpen is gonna be really good next year if they give him a full offseason as the starter, and actually draft defensive players that don't give up 35 points a game when the offense gets 28...

theplatypus
02-09-2009, 07:54 PM
I would rather give up a 4th for an OL.

BlastFurnace
02-09-2009, 07:59 PM
No.

We have a better Tight End and it's going to take a hefty sum to resign him.

I don't want Gonzales.

devilsdancefloor
02-09-2009, 08:00 PM
nah i wouldnt want him at all! Id rather spend a 4th rnd pick to maybe move up in the draft to make sure we get a good lineman either for O or D. :thumbsup:

truesteelerfan
02-09-2009, 08:59 PM
No thanks. I think TE is one of our most competent positions and I have great confidence in both Miller and Spaeth. We have other areas we need to improve upon before we start worrying about TE

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-09-2009, 09:06 PM
NO.

lilyoder6
02-09-2009, 09:09 PM
for the talent that he is i would trade a 4th rd pick,,, but trading a good 4th rd pick 4 someone who will only play 4 another yr or 2 and a good size contract i would say no.... unless we rly rly needed a te

WWIIOwheelz
02-09-2009, 09:31 PM
No.

We have a better Tight End and it's going to take a hefty sum to resign him.

I don't want Gonzales.

Nor do I. Spaeth is coming along nicely as well, and Heath is my favorite player on the offensive side of the ball.

StainlessStill
02-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Gonz shared an interview during the Pro Bowl and announced he wanted to play for a contender and he has 2 years.. IF THAT left in him. To me, no.. I wouldn' t waste a 4th rounder on him, esp regarding major needs at major positions. After last year not addressing o and d lines, we need all the picks we can get.

StainlessStill
02-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Nor do I. Spaeth is coming along nicely as well, and Heath is my favorite player on the offensive side of the ball.

Heath is a monster, and always will be. He fits the mentality of what a Steelers tight end should be.. and I'm praying that he gets more involved with the offense than he is now.

Spaeth.. I feel is a waste, and he was seen multiple times all year long bein beatin' off the ball and having his face smashed in time and time again. He sucks at run blocking, and falls to the ground the instant he receives the ball. He's none other than a threat at the goal-line.. but as you know, we didn't use him this year since our red zone offense was so awful.

steeltheone
02-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Our wonderfull OC forgets Speath is on the roster. When Heath was out , Matt did just fine.

BlackAndGold4Ever
02-09-2009, 09:59 PM
We don't need him, hes a great tight end, but you know what so is Heath and I think Spaethwill be just as good within two seasons

WWIIOwheelz
02-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Heath is a monster, and always will be. He fits the mentality of what a Steelers tight end should be.. and I'm praying that he gets more involved with the offense than he is now.

Spaeth.. I feel is a waste, and he was seen multiple times all year long bein beatin' off the ball and having his face smashed in time and time again. He sucks at run blocking, and falls to the ground the instant he receives the ball. He's none other than a threat at the goal-line.. but as you know, we didn't use him this year since our red zone offense was so awful.

There was a time when Heath left a lot to be desired with his blocking, but he has always been a great receiver, particularly with regard to his yards after the catch. Because Heath is so good, Spaeth gets very limited looks, but he's the same tall receiving option Ben likes so much, and I strongly feel it's only a matter of time before he shines. He made some great blocks this year, and I don't recall him missing many.

He's good enough that I don't feel another TE is even a consideration, much less a free agent signing. I'd be mindblown if it were to happen, barring something unforeseen happening.

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2009, 10:31 PM
for the talent that he is i would trade a 4th rd pick,,, but trading a good 4th rd pick 4 someone who will only play 4 another yr or 2 and a good size contract i would say no.... unless we rly rly needed a teyeah....i'd hate to lose out on another fred gibson or kemoautu....those kinda guys are hard to find .....:doh:

steelreserve
02-09-2009, 10:41 PM
I'd take that trade in a second ... if I was the GM of some other team. But we've already got one of the best TEs around, and he's a lot younger, so what would be the point?

Dodt
02-09-2009, 11:24 PM
wow this thread pretty much goes hand and hand with the larry johnson one from a couple months back.

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2009, 11:54 PM
I'd take that trade in a second ... if I was the GM of some other team. But we've already got one of the best TEs around, and he's a lot younger, so what would be the point?yeah......having 1 good tightend is much better then having 2.....:thumbsup: ....i'd rather see gonzales in the slot than washington.

lilyoder6
02-10-2009, 12:05 AM
the man still looks like he got it.. at least he showed that during the pro-bowl

Galax Steeler
02-10-2009, 03:51 AM
I would do it for a 4th rounder imagine what that would do for us in the redzone it would definetly be a big boost.

SC Gamecokk
02-10-2009, 05:21 AM
wow this thread pretty much goes hand and hand with the larry johnson one from a couple months back.

uhhhhhhhhh....hardly! why don't you go back and read the initial post i made. what did i specifically stay on the first line!?!?!?! :doh:

Rick5895
02-10-2009, 05:52 AM
NOT A CHANCE, Gonzo is a great player, but bringing him it might also upset chemistry. We have one of the best TE's in the league in Miller. Spaeth will turn into a solid player at some point (although he's taking his sweet time) We have other needs besides the OL and DL, a nice fast KR would be really helpful.

Michael Keller
02-10-2009, 06:04 AM
The Steelers won because they retain some old fashon values among them loyalty to each other. Getting Gonzalez would be absolutely horrible. Heath Miller is an underrated player and a solid contrtibutor .

Go for an offensive or defensive lineman in free agency . We may need a corner back .

Indo
02-10-2009, 08:04 AM
No

Heath is the most underrated TE in the league, IMO

I think that the realization that he is one of the STAR players in the league is coming soon.

Even Madden had fantastic things to say about him in the SB...

Nothing against Gonzo, but I think time will show that Heath is easily on Gonzo's level

SteelMember
02-10-2009, 10:38 AM
As a TE, I'd say no. Our offense needs a TE that can both catch and block.

Now, if you want to put him in the slot and use him for the oversized WR that he is...I might consider it. :noidea:

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 10:42 AM
i cant stress this point enough...

half way through his rookie season heath was on pace to tie (or even break) antonio gates TE touchdown record.

then ben got hurt and batch went away from miller in 3 games.

rookie miller destroyed the colts in the playoffs.

The_WARDen
02-10-2009, 10:52 AM

the guy is a proven winner. all he wants to do is win a super bowl at his age, he could care less about money at this point in his career. imagine him and heath miller in a two TE set with holmes or ward. ben could absolutely scorch a defense with those weapons. would it be worth a 4th rounder for two or so years of his service? just throwing it out there for discussion. you would think he'd be all over the steelers if he had the opportunity.

yes...

what the heck is 4th rounder anyway? a possible player? Gonzalez is still the best TE in the game.

No brainer to me but I think KC would be stupid to make that trade.

Steelcitygal87
02-10-2009, 10:55 AM
i cant stress this point enough...

half way through his rookie season heath was on pace to tie (or even break) antonio gates TE touchdown record.

then ben got hurt and batch went away from miller in 3 games.

rookie miller destroyed the colts in the playoffs.

Yep, I remember. Pittsburgh came out of the gate throwing the ball...and I believe the first play was a pass to Miller. Him and Ben tore up the defense that day. :tt03:

steelpride12
02-10-2009, 10:58 AM
This is a silly thread. A 4th rounder for one of the best TE's in the game. Of course Anyone would in a heart beat.

verks36
02-10-2009, 11:03 AM
ooo definitley not.

Guys steelers have an identity the last thing we want to do is bring is some old player on the tail end of his career. Yes he is still a very good player IE the pro bowl just a couple of days. But do we need the tight end. No of Tony was a guard for sure but the fact is he is not.

Fire Haley
02-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Absolutely we should sign him.

Then sign Peppers and Haynesworth and switch to a 4-3, trade Casey for a 2nd rd pick and oh, sign Suggs too.

There's no cap in 2010. sign everyone!

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Nope...use the money at a need position....no reason to spend money on a "marquis name" ....I will leave that to the teams who need the buzz to fill their stadium.

Steelcitygal87
02-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Absolutely we should sign him.

Then sign Peppers and Haynesworth and switch to a 4-3, trade Casey for a 2nd rd pick and oh, sign Suggs too.

There's no cap in 2010. sign everyone!:thumbsup:

:drink:

steelreserve
02-10-2009, 11:26 AM
yeah......having 1 good tightend is much better then having 2.....:thumbsup: ....i'd rather see gonzales in the slot than washington.

That's a good point, but at this rate, we're going to be lining up in a 5-tight end set next season. We've got more tight ends then we know what to do with, and picking up another one, even a good one, is just going to mean someone sits on the bench doing nothing, and probably being angry.

stlrtruck
02-10-2009, 11:32 AM
I'd have to say NO WAY GONZO!!!

Heath Miller has proven himself time and time again. Gonzo has become second rate compared to what the Steelers need in a TE.

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 11:32 AM
tony gonzalez AND larry johnson are both going to new england.

they can afford it. they love old people. and the only way they can hope to hang with our defense is to build on offense.

brady, moss, welker, gonzo, and lj

looks like a championship fantasy football team.

memphissteelergirl
02-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Nope...use the money at a need position....no reason to spend money on a "marquis name" ....I will leave that to the teams who need the buzz to fill their stadium.

:thumbsup:

:drink:

steelerNATION
02-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Wouldnt spend a 4th round draft on him...we need a line instead

rich4eagle
02-14-2009, 06:02 PM

NO the Steelers should not even be remotely interested in Gonzalez!:tt03:

chucoblack&gold
02-15-2009, 12:59 AM
HEATH MILLER .......... enuff said

MasterOfPuppets
02-15-2009, 01:43 AM
LETS SEE......3rd round matt spaeth......4th rd tony gonzalez......spaeth....17 rec.....gonzalez....96 rec....gee...tough call :coffee:

Vincent
02-15-2009, 05:39 AM
Our offense deficiencies would not be remedied by any tight end. Waste of a pick.

lilyoder6
02-15-2009, 10:07 AM
gonzo for a 2nd te.. would be great.. b/c the def will have 2 realize that tony g can run and catch the ball.. so they wouldn't be able to put just a lb on him... i would def give up a 4th on him if i knew i was going 2 get at least 3 more yrs

SC Gamecokk
02-15-2009, 10:17 AM
some of you people simply answer the question i presented. some of you need to take some midol or ritalin and chill the hell out. i KNOW it's not going to happen. it's the offseason boys, in-between the super bowl and combine. isn't SHIT to talk about so i was just throwing it out there. calling it a dumb thread or a pointless thread is your opinion, but i was simply just trying to stir up a conversation....damn

Blitzburgh_Fever
02-16-2009, 12:28 AM
looks like a championship fantasy football team.

I get the feeling Pat's fans would be okay with that...not like they know anything about football other than reading stat lines.

steelwall
02-16-2009, 01:28 AM
I have to agree.....in a New York minute.

paw-n-maul-u
02-16-2009, 02:46 AM
Seriously, NE could go out this year, trade for Gonzo, sign Ray Lewis to a nice deal and reunite him with A. Thomas (who you know has probably given him a few rings), stick julius peppers on the other side across from Adalius. Albert Haynesworth next to Ty Warren.

Any of those would suck. Not that it would make their defense at all comparable to the steelers. but its just ... so ... new englandish of them to do something like that, kind of makes me sick.

If Bryant Mcfadden went there, I would puke.

If Larry Foote went there, I would disown.

I hate the Patriots. How are they the superbowl favorites?

SC Gamecokk
02-16-2009, 05:07 AM
Seriously, NE could go out this year, trade for Gonzo, sign Ray Lewis to a nice deal and reunite him with A. Thomas (who you know has probably given him a few rings), stick julius peppers on the other side across from Adalius. Albert Haynesworth next to Ty Warren.

Any of those would suck. Not that it would make their defense at all comparable to the steelers. but its just ... so ... new englandish of them to do something like that, kind of makes me sick.

If Bryant Mcfadden went there, I would puke.

If Larry Foote went there, I would disown.

I hate the Patriots. How are they the superbowl favorites?

all of that, and somehow still be under the cap...

XxKnightxX
02-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Well heres my opinion, the chances of it happening, very slim, BUT, this guy will just be a perfect fit if arians decides to run that 2 TE formation that he likes to run so much. He will be such a huge weapon for ben, and this guy just effing plays nuff said, he doesnt whine and moan until now, because he deserves to since hes done it all and wants to get a championship. I would rather give up a possible player at a 4th round (mind you we have 9 picks this year) for this guy, and I seriously believe he will sell himself out to get a championsihp.

The only problem is Scott Pioli, who will lobby for him going to an NFC team or to the Patsies since hes such goody good friends with them.

St33lersguy
02-16-2009, 07:23 AM
I would if we needed a TE

BritishSteel
02-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Arians is keen on the two TE set, so I'm sure he'd like Gonzalez if he could, but I just don't see another TE as a priority - Miller is among the top 3 or 4 TE in the conference, and whilst Spaeth and McHugh are some way behind I don't think they've done anything that's worth casting them out for.

So no.

steelersfanman92
02-16-2009, 09:18 AM
There are too many more urgent needs than another tightend that pick could be used in a much for usefull way, Gonzalez is still a good player but the Steelers just dont need him right now

BlastFurnace
02-16-2009, 09:22 AM
all of that, and somehow still be under the cap...

Goodell burned the Patriots financial records and erased all the hard drives on their computers. We have no idea if they have been over the cap or not.

PisnNapalm
02-16-2009, 09:32 AM

No. He's toward the end of his career. I'm pleased with our tight ends.

SteelCityMan786
02-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Most definitely. Ben and Gonzo would tear up that field together! :thumbsup:

Sadly, though - aint gonna happen.

Especially when they can get that production with Spaeth and Miller already.