PDA

View Full Version : If we lose B-Mac...

TasmanianTroy271
02-09-2009, 10:21 PM
If we lose Bryant McFadden to Free Agency, what do you guys think are the chances of us bringing in Leigh Bodden are? Admittedly, he was a Brown, and did play on an 0-16 Lions team, but he did play at Duquesne, and seems to be a pretty good corner. Also, I know he had problems playing in Detroit's scheme, and was wondering if he would fit in ours.

If we lose B-Mac, should we look at Bodden?

Is Bodden a good fit for our scheme?

What do you guys think he'll be worth on the FA market this year?

StainlessStill
02-09-2009, 10:47 PM
There's no if's about this one. It was pointed out that B-Mac is in fact a TOP PRIORITY in signing this year, and of course, is a HUGE part of the secondary. This is the guy to sign in the offseason, and if we don't get it done, I think we'll pay for it.

McFadden is going to continue to help this team get better and we'll let him know that by locking him up.

xFreeWord420x
02-10-2009, 01:41 AM
There's no if's about this one. It was pointed out that B-Mac is in fact a TOP PRIORITY in signing this year, and of course, is a HUGE part of the secondary. This is the guy to sign in the offseason, and if we don't get it done, I think we'll pay for it.

McFadden is going to continue to help this team get better and we'll let him know that by locking him up.

I love you man.. I think you and I are the only ones who know how much Mcfadden means to this team! I love you...

Galax Steeler
02-10-2009, 04:40 AM
I don't think we will let B-Mac go he has come along ways and we have Gay waiting in the wings also. We should be set at cb this year if we can keep him.

revefsreleets
02-10-2009, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't mind signing Bodden. Dude can cover. You saw what Cleveland trading him did to their secondary...

DACEB
02-10-2009, 10:16 AM
I'd like to see B-Mac stick around, but that's a good call TT271. We all know we've got the inside line on Lions players.

CargoJon
02-10-2009, 10:17 AM
The problem with Bodden in Detroit was that Tampa 2 they play. He's a much better man corner....

steelpride12
02-10-2009, 12:05 PM
B-Mac could be a surprise loss, if he asks for alot of money this team will not sign him unless for some reason Townsend retired or moved on. He is only a nickle corner remember, Bodden is not, so he would have to prove himself worthy if the Steelers would choose him.

steelreserve
02-10-2009, 12:34 PM
If we lose McFadden, Gay and Townsend take over his position and we don't miss a beat. We probably sign a mid-to-low priced free agent to be a backup. And maybe we roll the dice on another corner with a 4th-round pick or so and see if he turns out to be worth anything.

In other words, not the end of the world, and we'll be better off that way if McFadden starts demanding something ridiculous like $7 million a year.

drizze99
02-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Re-signing B-Mac is a must IMHO. Sure Gay played good but B-Mac is the man. Townsend is getting old and he is not getting any faster. We need to sign our own first and foremost.

Bodden is a very good corner and worth a look if B-Mac wants outrageous money. The Steelers will make a fair offer and we'll see what is on B-Mac's mind as far as a "pay day" goes...

steelreserve
02-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Re-signing B-Mac is a must IMHO. Sure Gay played good but B-Mac is the man.

See, when you start handing out ridiculous contracts because someone "is the man" ... that's when you run into trouble and start becoming like the Redskins. Joey Porter was the man, Plaxico Burress was the man, Levon Kirkland was the man ... it just depends on what they ask for. You can't keep 'em all.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Bodden was in a bad system at Detroit....He would be worth a look at the right price. His stats are actually better than McFadden and they are the same age.

Bodden is 6'1..McFadden is 6'0...and they both run in the 4.5's

Sharkissle29
02-10-2009, 01:16 PM
I love you man.. I think you and I are the only ones who know how much Mcfadden means to this team! I love you...

Hey i have showed my views on how important mcfadden is to this team.

he is a STAR, you all just wait.

xFreeWord420x
02-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey i have showed my views on how important mcfadden is to this team.

he is a STAR, you all just wait.

05' season he played excellent.. and in the playoffs had quite a few meaningful shutdowns.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2009, 03:01 PM

No, you cant have my Bud Light. :chug:

StainlessStill
02-10-2009, 03:46 PM
05' season he played excellent.. and in the playoffs had quite a few meaningful shutdowns.

Everyone talks about Bens tackle, which def. won the game in Indy for us in '05.. but the play of the game was McFadden breaking up a pass in the endzone and also being a snip away from pickin it to end the game on the same drive.

Even though corner goes deep with talent, there is only a handful that can be either shutdown or reliable, and McFadden has both of those credentials. We missed him when he got hurt in Cleveland early. I think it's a no brainer.

lilyoder6
02-10-2009, 04:10 PM
i would like 4 b-mac 2 re-sign a long term deal with us.. him and ike will give us a few more yrs of good play

steelpride12
02-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Def. if B-Mac goes were gonna have to pick up some free agent. Ok So Gay steps up for the nickle corner, but i don't see Townsend being here any longer than 3 more seasons at the most. Bodden or Dunta Robinson could be some choices yes.

The Duke
02-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Gay will be just fine as a starter

I'd like to keep BMac, but I know some team is going to overpay for him and will make me not miss him at all

Bodden is a veteran. And a very good one. Under LeBeau he can be a great backup/nickle corner

xFreeWord420x
02-10-2009, 09:36 PM
No, you cant have my Bud Light. :chug:

Good, I drink Busch =P

xFreeWord420x
02-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Everyone talks about Bens tackle, which def. won the game in Indy for us in '05.. but the play of the game was McFadden breaking up a pass in the endzone and also being a snip away from pickin it to end the game on the same drive.

Even though corner goes deep with talent, there is only a handful that can be either shutdown or reliable, and McFadden has both of those credentials. We missed him when he got hurt in Cleveland early. I think it's a no brainer.

You better hush or I will propose to you.

steelballs
02-11-2009, 06:16 AM
I'd like to hold onto B'Mac, but at a reasonable price and as we all now, the Steelers are thrifty to say the least.

BlastFurnace
02-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I'd like to hold onto B'Mac, but at a reasonable price and as we all now, the Steelers are thrifty to say the least.

BMAC's price is not going to be reasonable. His play has allowed him to get paid far beyond reasonable. If the Steelers want to keep him, they are going to have to pay.

Not sure if you are serious about the thrifty comment because you are new, but I'll give you my opinion anyway...the Rooney's are smart with their money. If you earn it, they will pay up. They aren't thrifty, they are smart.....2 Super Bowls in the past 5 years doesn't happen with an owner that doesn't keep good players...and you only keep good players...by paying them.

paw-n-maul-u
02-11-2009, 10:29 AM
I still don't think Tomlin has found "his guy" at corner. The guy is a DB coach, he has to have some affinity for the corner position. I feel like, maybe (hopefully) not this draft, but in the next few we are gonna spend a big pick on a CB and tomlin's gonna put his eggs in that guys basket.

Crazy to think we got one pick away from Revis and instead landed Timmons. I think it turned out ok both ways. because we snagged Gay in the 5th who has more than exceded expectations.

The only corners I really like in this draft are vonte davis and macho harris.

Harris would be a BEAST steeler, If they packaged a couple thirds to move way up to top of the 3rd, or send a third and a second for a little higher 2nd rd pick to snag Harris, he could do everything for this team.

tube517
02-11-2009, 10:49 AM
McFadden took over as a starter when Townsend went down. Then Gay started when BMac got injured. B Mac started when he was healthy. I'd like to see BMac signed.

QUOTE=steelpride12;561861]B-Mac could be a surprise loss, if he asks for alot of money this team will not sign him unless for some reason Townsend retired or moved on. He is only a nickle corner remember, Bodden is not, so he would have to prove himself worthy if the Steelers would choose him.[/QUOTE]

steelballs
02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
BMAC's price is not going to be reasonable. His play has allowed him to get paid far beyond reasonable. If the Steelers want to keep him, they are going to have to pay.

Not sure if you are serious about the thrifty comment because you are new, but I'll give you my opinion anyway...the Rooney's are smart with their money. If you earn it, they will pay up. They aren't thrifty, they are smart.....2 Super Bowls in the past 5 years doesn't happen with an owner that doesn't keep good players...and you only keep good players...by paying them.

Blast...I'll give you that, as the deal with Farrior this past season is a perfect example of paying when earned. B'Mac is a great player and I'd love to keep him, but with several other issues facing the Steelers in the off season (Starks/Smith/etc.) I just don't want to break the bank for one player.

I've agreed with the past decisions on Porter, Faneca, Plaxico etc. and agree with you that the Rooneys are the best in the business at player personnel decisions. I guess the use of the word "thrifty" was ill-advised.

BlastFurnace
02-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Blast...I'll give you that, as the deal with Farrior this past season is a perfect example of paying when earned. B'Mac is a great player and I'd love to keep him, but with several other issues facing the Steelers in the off season (Starks/Smith/etc.) I just don't want to break the bank for one player.

I've agreed with the past decisions on Porter, Faneca, Plaxico etc. and agree with you that the Rooneys are the best in the business at player personnel decisions. I guess the use of the word "thrifty" was ill-advised.

The Steelers FA class that concerns me the most is next years.

Steeldude
02-11-2009, 12:50 PM
IMO, gay can easily replace mcfadden. i am still trying to figure out what mcfadden has done to make people think he is so great.

it makes no sense to give mcfadden a big raise based on, for the most part, average CB play.

StainlessStill
02-11-2009, 09:14 PM
You better hush or I will propose to you.

You're startin' to scare me, dude. You seem like a passionate fan that knows his stuff, so you automatically get a pass. lmao:tt:

markymarc
02-11-2009, 09:15 PM
I would hate to lose McFadden, but if it did happen I do believe Gay is ready to become the new starting CB in the secondary. I also think Bodden would be a good addition if we lost McFadden.

StainlessStill
02-11-2009, 09:22 PM
I would hate to lose McFadden, but if it did happen I do believe Gay is ready to become the new starting CB in the secondary. I also think Bodden would be a good addition if we lost McFadden.

Gay is only two seasons in, and only served as a Nickel and Dime back. We can't let a reliable starter in B-Mac go and roll the dice on Gay to become the starter opposite Ike. I like W.Gay, a lot, ever since he made noise in pre-season his rookie year, and the 3rd season is usually a time a corner must make noise. (You hear that Riccardo Coclough you BUM?)

Tomlin was originally a DB's coach in Tampa, and knows the importance of Corner. He will sign Bmac, and him, Deshea, and Gay will fight for the #1 spot in camp, but if we dish out the bucks, Bmac is our guy. I expect bright things from #20 and wouldn't like to see him do it anywhere else.

The Duke
02-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Gay is only two seasons in, and only served as a Nickel and Dime back. We can't let a reliable starter in B-Mac go and roll the dice on Gay to become the starter opposite Ike. I like W.Gay, a lot, ever since he made noise in pre-season his rookie year, and the 3rd season is usually a time a corner must make noise. (You hear that Riccardo Coclough you BUM?)

Tomlin was originally a DB's coach in Tampa, and knows the importance of Corner. He will sign Bmac, and him, Deshea, and Gay will fight for the #1 spot in camp, but if we dish out the bucks, Bmac is our guy. I expect bright things from #20 and wouldn't like to see him do it anywhere else.

Gay started games against the colts, bolts, bengals, patriots, cowboys and ravens. Some very good offenses there

Plus he alternated every 3rd series with bryant . Imo he can start and the defense won't miss a beat without BMac, who I have a feeling will be over payed by some sucky team

StainlessStill
02-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Gay started games against the colts, bolts, bengals, patriots, cowboys and ravens. Some very good offenses there

Plus he alternated every 3rd series with bryant . Imo he can start and the defense won't miss a beat without BMac, who I have a feeling will be over payed by some sucky team

Good post, and I agree with you that he could start at corner for us, which he proved. Still, I don't see us handing him the torch of starting Corner just yet and would need major competition in training camp to win it, and there's no other to give him the fight other than Bmac. Gay is a depth ploy and will always serve an important role in our defense. I don't see other teams dishing out the dough for McFadden this year, so this is the time to snag him long term. Deshea might be the odd man out (which sucks), unless we manage to keep all 3, which I doubt.

Regardless, it's a nice problem to have.

Justano
02-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Good post, and I agree with you that he could start at corner for us, which he proved. Still, I don't see us handing him the torch of starting Corner just yet and would need major competition in training camp to win it, and there's no other to give him the fight other than Bmac. Gay is a depth ploy and will always serve an important role in our defense. I don't see other teams dishing out the dough for McFadden this year, so this is the time to snag him long term. Deshea might be the odd man out (which sucks), unless we manage to keep all 3, which I doubt.

Regardless, it's a nice problem to have.

Townsend has more experience and is a veteran we need to keep him with the secondary.... he may not be really great but he really helps out.. mcfadden is also good but hes not super either.. i say our cbs get another tallers CB like Taylor eitehr in draft or like bodden lol yes by inch or 2 can make a difference .. oh yeah and gay.. hes still very inexperienced but has potential and has proved it in some of his starts... so if we lose mcfadden either get bodden or keep gay and townsend and go for tall cb in draft if there are any lol

steelballs
02-12-2009, 06:37 AM
The Steelers FA class that concerns me the most is next years.

Agreed.