PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Q&A - How big were 'small-time' signings?

mesaSteeler
02-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Steelers Q&A
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/
How big were 'small-time' signings?

Posted February 9, 2009 10 :47 AM

Scott,

Wow, what a season! Looking back at how hard their schedule appeared to be before the season started I remember hearing a lot of people hoping for nine or 10 wins. Not only am I excited about the Super Bowl victory but I can honestly say it was just a great year to be a Steelers fan.

Two questions for you....First, will the free-agent signings of Hartwig, Fox, and the other "small-time" acquisitions go down as the most underrated factors of this year's Super Bowl run. I don't think the successful turnaround and impact of the special teams and the play of the injury riddled O-line would have been possible without it. Second, has Bruce Arians FINALLY realized Ben can do anything and everything but run a QB sneak for 6 yards in a playoff game!!!!

Tom Sedlacko of Rocky River, Ohio

Tom,

Sorry for the belated response to this. I have been recovering from Super Bowl fatigue but I hope questions like your start coming in full force again, and I suspect they will with the free-agent signing period approaching as well as the NFL draft.

Without even looking at how other teams fared with their free-agent signings last year, I don't think there is no question that nobody did better than the Steelers when you look at what they spent and the quality they got in return. Justin Hartwig proved to be a much-needed upgraded at center and Keyaron Fox helped shore up the kick-coverage units. And don't forget about Mewelde Moore. He kept the running game afloat when Willie Parker was out and was arguably the Steelers' most valuable offensive player in the first half of the season.

As for the second question, I'm not sure there is anything Ben Roethlisberger can't do, especially in light of the final drive he engineered to win the Super Bowl. The one thing I think fans have to give Arians credit for is Roethlisberger taking that next step and becoming an elite quarterback under his tutelage.

tyler289
02-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Fox, Moore, and Hartwig were all fantastic signings. Colbert and Tomlin knew what they were doing.

StainlessStill
02-09-2009, 10:09 PM
The Steelers do this better than any team in the league. We don't need no high profile players in here like Terrell Owens, or Randy Moss, or LT or Larry Johnson or the list goes on and on.

What we do is find a player out there that fits perfectly in our system, and contributes their ability to help this team win football games, PERIOD.

James Harrison was left undrafted, and cut 3 times!
Willie Parker was left undrafted and didn't even start in College.
The additions of guys like Keisel, and Fox, and Moore, and Batch and Kreider are all key ingredients of players that didn't have high profiles, but yet have Super Bowl wins because of our system. The Rooneys are best at what they do.