View Full Version : Steelers look to lock up left tackle

mesaSteeler
02-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Steelers look to lock up left tackle

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_610958.html#

The Steelers will likely make a push to retain either Max Starks or Marvel Smith prior to the start of the free-agent signing period at the end of the month.

Both are unrestricted free agents, as is Trai Essex. If the Steelers lose all three during free agency it will leave them without a left tackle who has any NFL game experience on their roster.

"Sometimes you can let a guy test the market when you have an alternative in the house," Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said Monday. "But when your alternatives are free agents as well, that's a little unnerving. It makes you feel uneasy."

The Steelers are still formulating the plan they will take into free agency and the NFL draft. And Colbert said the team's offseason plans should be pretty much set before the NFL Scouting Combine, which starts a week from Wednesday.

The Steelers have yet to negotiate with any players on their roster, and none of their marquee players are up for free agency.

But in addition to Starks, Smith and Essex, starting left guard Chris Kemoeatu could hit the open market on Feb. 27 while starting right tackle Willie Colon will be a restricted free agent.

"If we could we wouldn't have that many coming into free agency at the same time," Colbert said of the offensive line, "but circumstances just dictated that's where it ended up this time."

Colbert said he would "like to be able to" sign at least one of the left tackles that are up for free agency.

Smith, 30, is the most experienced of the three but he has missed 19 games the last two seasons because of back problems.

Colbert said Smith has been rehabilitating and that "everything has checked out" healthwise.

Smith didn't play after the Steelers' Oct. 5 game in Jacksonville and the team put him on injured reserve in late December.

Ken Zuckerman, Smith's agent, said the ninth-year veteran is healthy again.

"If needed be, he could have played in the Super Bowl," Zuckerman said.

Essex has played sparingly in four NFL seasons and has just one career start at left tackle.

Starks would almost certainly draw the most interest of the three on the open market. The 6-8, 345-pounder has started at right and left tackle on Super Bowl-winning teams, and he only turned 27 last month.

The Steelers used the franchise tag on Starks last year it allowed them to match any offer made to him by another team and receive compensation if he signed elsewhere and they could do the same thing this year.

Starks made almost $6.9 million last season, and he would be guaranteed $8.45 million next season if the Steelers use the franchise tag on him, or $7.74 million if they designate him a transition player.

The Steelers figure to address the other side of the line as well in the offseason.

Their top five defensive lineman are all in their 30s and two of them nose tackle Casey Hampton and defensive end Brett Keisel are entering the final year of their contracts.

"You want to add some young talent, if you can, at any position," Colbert said, "but defensive line is probably one of the older positions on our team."

Notes: The Steelers have signed all of the players who finished the 2008 season on their practice squad to their roster. Included in that group is safety Ryan Mundy, a Woodland Hills High School graduate...The Steelers also signed former Canadian Football League running back Stefan Logan and are expected to give him a long look as a kick returner...The Steelers released defensive tackle Kyle Clement. The rookie had been on the reserve/injured list.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Gonna be interesting who the Steelers sign at LT. I guess we will know in a couple weeks.

My bet is on Smith because he will cost less, but you never know if they Steelers will pony up the $$$ for Starks or not. :noidea:

BlastFurnace
02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
I don't want Smith to sign at all.

He's injury prone and at the wrong place for a LT....his back.

He was a good player for us, but we need to move on.

Da Steeler Soprano
02-10-2009, 10:34 AM
They are going to sing Starks because he and Ben are real good friends, and Im sure Ben will be lobbying to sign him. What Ben wants, Ben gets, simple as that.

revefsreleets
02-10-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm curious...do the Steelers sign their own or address it in FA. Smith is too old and injury prone IMO, and Starks is adaquate but could be upgraded.

Are there any LT's in FA that would be a good fit for the Steelers?

BlastFurnace
02-10-2009, 10:51 AM
They are going to sing Starks because he and Ben are real good friends, and Im sure Ben will be lobbying to sign him. What Ben wants, Ben gets, simple as that.

Ben was tight with Plex also and asked for him to be re-signed. That didn't happen.

This is about the team. Not what Ben wants.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2009, 10:58 AM
What Ben wants, Ben gets, simple as that.
Ben is good friends with Willie Colon too. Get used to 4 more years of Colon :tt03:

Preacher
02-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Ben was tight with Plex also and asked for him to be re-signed. That didn't happen.

This is about the team. Not what Ben wants.

That was before this was Ben's team. Make no mistake about it, this is now BEn's team.

Plax was also a problem. Starks isn't. I think Starks gets signed. He is big, did a decent job at LT, and isn't injury prone.

We sign him, fix the right side of the line, then center, then come back and deal with him. in a couple years.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Not really. IMO, the top LT prospects on the market are:
1. Jordan Gross
2. Vernon Carey
3. Tra Thomas
4.Max Starks
5. Khalif Barnes

We probably wont pay for Gross and Thomas is 34 years old, so not as valuable as the young guys. Somebody is gonna overpay for the services of Vernon Carey and Max Starks!!!

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 11:04 AM
after starks got his money last season he couldnt beat willie freaking colon for the RT position (a position he held down for a sb team in 05).

thats scary.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
after starks got his money last season he couldnt beat willie freaking colon for the RT position (a position he held down for a sb team in 05).

thats scary. Maybe Colon is a better friend of Ben's than Starks? :chuckle:

lilyoder6
02-10-2009, 11:05 AM
with ryan mundy being signed 2 the roster.. i think that anythony smith is gone unless he signs a small contract.. i was a fan of mundy last yr then his season was cut short... i think he will be a good safety for us...

if i had 2 chose between smith and starks.. i would pick starks b/c he has shown he can stay healthy unlike smith, starks is younger

Steelcitygal87
02-10-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm curious...do the Steelers sign their own or address it in FA. Smith is too old and injury prone IMO, and Starks is adaquate but could be upgraded.

Here is a list of the offensive linemen UFA

Mike Goff, UFA, San Diego Chargers

Jordan Gross, UFA, Carolina Panthers

Mark Tauscher, UFA, Green Bay Packers

Stacy Andrews, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Khalif Barnes, UFA, Jacksonville Jaguars
Jordan Black, UFA, Houston Texans
Jason Brown, UFA, Baltimore Ravens
Vernon Carey, UFA, Miami Dolphins
Jahri Evans, UFA, New Orleans Saints
George Foster, UFA, Detroit Lions
Chris Gray, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Pete Kendall, UFA, Washington Redskins
Seth McKinney, UFA, Cleveland Browns
Jon Runyan, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles
Jeff Saturday, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
Tra Thomas, UFA, Philadelphia Eagles
Fred Weary, UFA, Houston Texans
John Welbourn, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs

It would end up costing us much more to try to sign.... Khalif Barnes, Jordan Gross or Tra Thomas than it would to sign our own man...Smith.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2009, 11:15 AM
On Media Day, Starks really didnt seem that positive about being back next season. He kept eluding to the fact that "its a business". That is why I think the guy will take his 2 Super Bowl rings and ranking as the #2 or #3 LT in free agency and go shopping for the biggest deal he can find. Good for him if he can do it.

A five-year veteran who will have started Super Bowls at both tackle positions, Starks should command interest from teams looking to stabilize their offensive lines the way he helped stabilize the Steelers' this year.

"I'd like the Steelers to be the first option to consider, but I know that in this age of free agency, it's tough, and you can't keep everybody," Starks said. "It's kind of bittersweet." http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-31-haugh-super-bowljan31,0,6933370.column

The Duke
02-10-2009, 11:16 AM
I truly hope Essex is resigned. Good backup, and I heard he's been practicing at center too

Smith and starks are gone imo

BlastFurnace
02-10-2009, 11:23 AM
That was before this was Ben's team. Make no mistake about it, this is now BEn's team.

Plax was also a problem. Starks isn't. I think Starks gets signed. He is big, did a decent job at LT, and isn't injury prone.

We sign him, fix the right side of the line, then center, then come back and deal with him. in a couple years.

Believe me...I want Starks resigned. I think he played very...very well this year and he's young enough to make that kind of investment.

For me, resigning BMAC and Starks = a successful FA period.

I would let Nate walk. It's time to see what Sweed can do next year.

steelreserve
02-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Never would've thought it, but the idea of re-signing Smith and letting Starks walk is looking more and more appealing. Smith will probably come at a discount because of the injury worries, while Starks is going to command a whole ton of money that he doesn't deserve.

People from other teams seem to look at Starks and see nothing but raw physical ability and "potential" that makes him worth $8 million a year or some such nonsense. But over the last 4 years, I've seen a guy who's struggling just to get by as often as not. If it wasn't for an unlucky injury, he couldn't even win a starting job on THIS offensive line, which was one of our worst in a long time.

Whoever ends up (over)paying Starks for his services is going to be sorely disappointed. Best thing for us to do is probably sign Smith to an incentive-laden deal, cross our fingers and hope he can give us one or two more good years.

Oh, and whatever we do, draft a replacement for the future.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Steelreserve is right. Bears fans want Starks or Kemo

OG Chris Kemoeatu, Steelers or OT Max Starks, Steelers: The Super Bowl champs have four unrestricted free-agent offensive linemen, and they won't be able to sign all of them. Either one of these two can block out the sun.

Raider Fans want Starks.
OT Max Starks, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers

I have a few numbers for you: 25, 6'7", 337. That's his age, height and weight. Now those are impressive enough all by themselves. But Starks has shown a lot of potential and he could very well be a top tier tackle in the market this year because of it. On the other hand he may come at a great price. Either way, he would be a smart pick up on a team with a lot of bodies on the offensive line but few worthy of starting.
http://tfdssports.com/2008/02/17/oakland-raiders-free-agent-wish-list-thoughts-from-a-readers-side.html

and we all know that the Cardinals want him to replace Mike Gandy. I think Max is gonna cash in!!

OX1947
02-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm more concerned with our one year left guys then this year. Unless McFadden gets a Randle El type contract, I see him coming back. And according to Marvel Smith, he is back to normal so he is a good cheap option in case Starks gets too much in the open market.

Silverback will get an extension. And the Steelers will need to have money to keep Holmes and Miller in a few years. These are more important guys. I really think if the Steelers manage a 3rd rounder from the Faneca signing with the Jets, the Steelers trade up to get a starting center.

BlastFurnace
02-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Never would've thought it, but the idea of re-signing Smith and letting Starks walk is looking more and more appealing. Smith will probably come at a discount because of the injury worries, while Starks is going to command a whole ton of money that he doesn't deserve.

People from other teams seem to look at Starks and see nothing but raw physical ability and "potential" that makes him worth $8 million a year or some such nonsense. But over the last 4 years, I've seen a guy who's struggling just to get by as often as not. If it wasn't for an unlucky injury, he couldn't even win a starting job on THIS offensive line, which was one of our worst in a long time.

Whoever ends up (over)paying Starks for his services is going to be sorely disappointed. Best thing for us to do is probably sign Smith to an incentive-laden deal, cross our fingers and hope he can give us one or two more good years.

Oh, and whatever we do, draft a replacement for the future.

I understand your reasoning about Starks and $$$$'s, but in no way would I want to invest any kind of $$$'s in Smith because of his back issues. If we sign him, he's on IR by the 6th week of the season.

BozMan
02-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Quite a sticky situation for the Steelers at the LT position...

RoethlisBURGHer
02-10-2009, 02:08 PM
I'd rather us move up in the first round and draft a stud LT than resign Starks or Smith.

Is Starks raw and full of potential? Yeah, but he's 25 now and "raw and full of potential" are words you don't wanna hear if you're gonna be giving a guy $8M/Year or more. Those words are good when you have a rookie in there learning how to play the position in the National Football League.

As for Marvel Smith, I think he's a good OT but his back problems scare the hell out of me. He was supposed to be fine and have no problems last season either, and he ended up in IR by week 5 or so. I don't wanna give him money so he can get paid to be on IR. I know that's not his goal, his goal is to start on the line, but the reality is that he's too injury prone.

I wouldn't mind signing Smith though to a smaller contract where he ends up a backup to a stud rookie LT at the end of the 2009 season. This way we have a stud rookie with the same skillset at Starks sitting there to take over if Smith gets hurt, and if Smith doesn't get hurt then the rookie gets to learn from one of the better LT's in football (IMHO) when he's healthy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2009, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't mind signing Smith though to a smaller contract where he ends up a backup to a stud rookie LT at the end of the 2009 season. This way we have a stud rookie with the same skillset at Starks sitting there to take over if Smith gets hurt, and if Smith doesn't get hurt then the rookie gets to learn from one of the better LT's in football (IMHO) when he's healthy.

That is a great idea!! :thumbsup: and one I think that is most likely to happen.

Steelers might get a shot at drafting either Eben Britton or William Beatty and having them (or Tony Hills) eventually succeed Smith at LT. That would leave Smith, Hills, Colon or another later pick to eventually play RT.

iloveben7
02-10-2009, 03:02 PM
I say keep Starks because he's younger and Marvel has had some serious problems with his back.

19ward86
02-10-2009, 03:07 PM
starks starks starks starks starks!

Vincent
02-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Anybody that has a bad back knows Smith is done. I can't imagine why Colbert would indicate interest.

Starks may not be the best tackle in the world but he has started in 2 SBs and put forth a credible effort. Call it coincidence, but the line was at its best this year when he was in there. I would at least franchise him, then seek a longer term deal. The reason being that there isn't a good selection of FA tackles this year except for Gross. Some team might want him even for a pair of #1s. Shoulda done that with Faneca.

Read elsewhere that Carolina might franchise Gross, and that at 32 this year and maybe similar next year, it might be decent value to go for him on the basis of our "low" position. I think a stronger argument can ber made for this than resigning Smith. Gross is a young Pro-bowler, albeit a somewhat light (305lbs) young Pro-bowler.

We could do worse than Gross, Simmons, Hartwig, Colon, Starks. And who knows, we could get a decent guard in the draft.

StainlessStill
02-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Ben is good friends with Willie Colon too. Get used to 4 more years of Colon :tt03:

Has nothing to do with who Ben is friends with or not. Ben was good friends with Plax, and he even publicly came out and vouched for us to keep him.. same goes for Faneca.

Fact of the matter is, Marvel Smith missed pretty much the whole season with a back injury and needed surgery to fix it up. Another thing is that he is up there with age, and with age being a factor, esp for an O-lineman with back issues, we will go with the younger, healthier, and the guy we already dished out the money to last season for one year at LT.

Starks is fresh, young, and is a natural at Left Tackle. That's his forte'.

KeiselPower99
02-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Actually bringing back Marvel isnt a bad idea. He will be cheap and IF healthy is a beast there. I think Hills or Capizzi could be the guy waiting in the wings.

AllD
02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Resign Smith @ a discount and hope he lasts 8 games. Hopefully somebody in the draft will be ready to take over by mid-season.

lilyoder6
02-10-2009, 04:03 PM
i just think that the steelers will go after starks before they will smith..... even tho smith and his agent says that smith feels good and all.. u still have 2 wry since he missed a shit ton of games the past 2 seasons

steelreserve
02-10-2009, 04:55 PM

This. This is what we should do.

And also re-sign Essex to a smaller deal if possible. That way, if Smith makes it all the way through the season, great, but if he doesn't, we're not completely screwed.

I wonder if Hills will be ready for a shot next year? You never hear much about him. But I sure would love to see that if it meant Colon could move over to guard.

MasterOfPuppets
02-10-2009, 06:04 PM
i just knew we were gonna get stuck with one of them bums again...:banging: .......MOVE THE HELL UP AND GET A REAL FRANCHISE TACKLE !!! :banging: stop putting the same dirty bandaid on the gunshot wound !!!

truesteelerfan
02-11-2009, 10:55 AM
There is no way Smith is going to make it thru an entire season is there? He's missed what 19 games in 2 years AFTER he had surgery and was said he was all good and ready to go? I liked the guy 3 years ago, but to sign an injury prone player to protect Ben's blind side, and not have a proven backup seems ridiculous to me. Sign Starks (not same money as last year) sign Essex for one year, sign Kemo for two years, let Smith go. Hopefully Hills has a monster offseason getting stronger and faster and can push Starks or Colon out of the regular lineup or move Colon to guard where perhaps he can replace Simmons or push Kemo. Colon is a mean guy, but too slow for tackle.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Believe me...I want Starks resigned. I think he played very...very well this year and he's young enough to make that kind of investment.

For me, resigning BMAC and Starks = a successful FA period.

I would let Nate walk. It's time to see what Sweed can do next year.

Sign all three, Nate is gonna be a huge asset in the future when Ward decides to retire at the end of the 2010 season. We would have a well groomed WR core with Holmes Washington Sweed.

If they sign all three though it going to cost a hefty load, and with have 9 draft picks we definitely wont be able to sign all of them. So I expect to see a lot of moving picks up or down maybe shrink it down to 6 solid draft choices. Gotta remember folks we are in a recession

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Larry foote? does any body have a prediction what is going to happen to him? Do we try to trade him for maybe a 3-4th rounder ?

Like i said i would really love to see Colbert and Tomlin get a hand full of quality picks.

steelerdave1969
02-11-2009, 11:26 AM
I just have a lot of respect for the Steelers front office and I am pretty darn sure they will do the right thing whatever that might be. I wouldnt mind the Steelers at all to resign Max Starks and Chris Keomateau. I think both players are better than the other players in free agency that the Steelers can afford to play. Jordan Gross would be a great pickup for the Steelers but I dont see the Panthers letting the young man go, he will be their franchise player this season.

steelreserve
02-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Larry foote? does any body have a prediction what is going to happen to him? Do we try to trade him for maybe a 3-4th rounder ?

Like i said i would really love to see Colbert and Tomlin get a hand full of quality picks.

All I know is that 3rd- and 4th-round picks are a crapshoot and you might not get anything out of them at all. And Foote will definitely be an asset if he plays out his contract. Without him, we're pretty thin at LB behind the starters.

Plus, I'm not entirely sure how compensatory picks work, but if he signs with another team as a free agent, I think we get a draft pick for him anyway. Maybe not a 3rd-rounder, but something. The only reason we'd trade him like that would be for a salary dump, and let's face it, he's not exactly breaking the bank and he gives us something in return.

BlastFurnace
02-11-2009, 12:18 PM

Dale Lolley wrote in his blog the other day that his inside sources are telling him that Foote isn't going anywhere and that the Steelers want him as a backup...even at his $3 Milllion dollar salary.

They are planning on keeping Timmons in the role he is in next year.

Lolley is a pretty reliable source.

The Duke
02-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Yep, Foote is staying. As he should

Whether him or timmons starts this season is still in question, but Foote won't be released nor traded as many think

KeiselPower99
02-11-2009, 01:44 PM
If Foote does go Adam Seward from Carolina would be a very good pickup for us.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-11-2009, 02:50 PM
2009 Starting Oline

LT -Tony Hills
LG -Chris Kemoatu
C -Justin Hartwig
RG-Duke Robinson*
RT-Max Starks

Just my prediction

*=rookie

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-11-2009, 03:48 PM
pick 32=590 point value
pick -64=270 point value
If we trade both we will be at 860 PV which would put us near the 20th 21st pick range

Ironically the teams that have the 20th and 21st picks both have two 1ST round picks(detroit and phili) . Which means that they will be more willing to trade.

So at the 20-21st pick we will try to snag Jason Smith or Eben Britton both worthy Tackles to start on our oline

Lets say we trade Foote for a 3rd rounder from Detroit That would give us three 3rd round picks , two of which we can deal with.

Although Detroits 3rd round is basically a 2nd rounder

If we were to trade Detroits 3rd round pick(265 PV) + our own 3rd Round (116pv) = 381pv which would put us back in the second round pick 52

So Round 2 at pick number #52 we can go after Victor "macho " Harris which would bring depth to CB and a starter in KR/PR

Now our compensatory picks would come at the end of the round pretty much where our original pick was

So Round 3 lets say pick #100 We snag Robert Ayers DE from Tenn

Round 4 Pick # 128 - Luis Vuisquez Gaurd from texas tech
Round 5 pick# 160- Brannan Southerland FB from georgia
Round 6 pick# 192- Trimane Goddard FS UNC
Round 7 pick# 224- no clue
Round 7 pick# 228ish- no clue

steelreserve
02-11-2009, 04:23 PM
pick 32=590 point value
pick -64=270 point value
If we trade both we will be at 860 PV which would put us near the 20th 21st pick range

Ironically the teams that have the 20th and 21st picks both have two 1ST round picks(detroit and phili) . Which means that they will be more willing to trade.

So at the 20-21st pick we will try to snag Jason Smith or Eben Britton both worthy Tackles to start on our oline

Lets say we trade Foote for a 3rd rounder from Detroit That would give us three 3rd round picks , two of which we can deal with.

Although Detroits 3rd round is basically a 2nd rounder

If we were to trade Detroits 3rd round pick(265 PV) + our own 3rd Round (116pv) = 381pv which would put us back in the second round pick 52

So Round 2 at pick number #52 we can go after Victor "macho " Harris which would bring depth to CB and a starter in KR/PR

Now our compensatory picks would come at the end of the round pretty much where our original pick was

So Round 3 lets say pick #100 We snag Robert Ayers DE from Tenn

Round 4 Pick # 128 - Luis Vuisquez Gaurd from texas tech
Round 5 pick# 160- Brannan Southerland FB from georgia
Round 6 pick# 192- Trimane Goddard FS UNC
Round 7 pick# 224- no clue
Round 7 pick# 228ish- no clue

Well, if that doesn't count as analyzing a situation to death, I don't know what does.

Honestly, I don't think moving up to #20-21 is going to get us that much better of a player, especially if we have to give up that much for it. And even though the oh-so-fashionable prediction is that we'll trade a solid starter in Foote for a garbage draft pick, I don't see that happening because it would be a bonehead move on our part.

If we move up at all, it'll probably be a big move for a specific player, not "oh well, let's move up a few spots for the hell of it and see if it works."

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-11-2009, 04:50 PM
2009 Starting Oline

LT -Tony Hills
LG -Chris Kemoatu
C -Justin Hartwig
RG-Duke Robinson*
RT-Max Starks

Just my prediction

*=rookie

My prediction is :

LT- Marvel Smith
LG-Willie Colon
C-Justin Hartwig
LG-Kendall Simmons
RT-Tony Hills

reserves- Stapleton, Eric Wood, Alex Boone, Trai Essex

BlastFurnace
02-11-2009, 05:20 PM
My prediction is :

LT- Marvel Smith
LG-Willie Colon
C-Justin Hartwig
LG-Kendall Simmons
RT-Tony Hills

Poor Ben

Smith will be on IR by week 6
Colon might work out better at Guard, but the Steelers probably won't move him.
Hartwig is solid, but will be weakened by the presence of Simmons.
Simmons - maybe the worst starting O'lineman we have had this decade
Hills - Who knows.

Why would we put Stapleton on the bench. He played a lot better than Simmons ever has.

I hope Ben has move magic left in his feet.

BlastFurnace
02-11-2009, 05:21 PM
2009 Starting Oline

LT -Tony Hills
LG -Chris Kemoatu
C -Justin Hartwig
RG-Duke Robinson*
RT-Max Starks

Just my prediction

*=rookie

Why would you move Starks back to RT? I would keep him at LT. He was better there.

Kemo will be gone.

From my friends who are big fans of UT...Hills is not that great.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Poor Ben

Smith will be on IR by week 6
Colon might work out better at Guard, but the Steelers probably won't move him.
Hartwig is solid, but will be weakened by the presence of Simmons.
Simmons - maybe the worst starting O'lineman we have had this decade
Hills - Who knows.

Why would we put Stapleton on the bench. He played a lot better than Simmons ever has.

I hope Ben has move magic left in his feet.

This is my prediction. We will know in 2 weeks if Smith is the incumbent LT or Starks.

Stapleton will get a chance to compete for the starting LG spot this year in camp after Kemo leaves, but I don't think he would beat out either a rookie like Eric Wood, or Colon. Stapleton is just too weak of a run blocker.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-11-2009, 05:56 PM
From my friends who are big fans of UT...Hills is not that great. I agree that Hills has not shown anything yet. In preseason he showed quick feet, good lateral motion, lack of a strong punch in pass protection and the inability to set with a good base. In run blocking he was powerful, had good pad level but not great hand placement.

Basically Hills showed that he can be a good run blocker and move his feet well in pass protection. I think he gets a shot to compete at RT for the starting job in camp.

BTW, what do you think the O line will be ??

BlastFurnace
02-11-2009, 06:07 PM
I agree that Hills has not shown anything yet. In preseason he showed quick feet, good lateral motion, lack of a strong punch in pass protection and the inability to set with a good base. In run blocking he was powerful, had good pad level but not great hand placement.

Basically Hills showed that he can be a good run blocker and move his feet well in pass protection. I think he gets a shot to compete at RT for the starting job in camp.

BTW, what do you think the O line will be ??

What I am hoping for:

LT: Starks
LG: Kemo
C: Hartwig
RG: Colon
RT: FA Pickup

What I fear it will be:

LT: Smith
LG: Stapleton
RG: Simmons
RT: Colon

Realistically, I think Kemo is gone. I still think we have a shot at Starks. I think we will keep Essex. Of all the players on the line that I fear the most is Simmons. I really believe/hope that Smith is finished as a Steeler.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-11-2009, 06:13 PM
What I am hoping for:

LT: Starks
LG: Kemo
RG: Colon
RT: FA Pickup

What I fear it will be:

LT: Smith
LG: Stapleton
RG: Simmons
RT: Colon

Realistically, I think Kemo is gone. I still think we have a shot at Starks. I think we will keep Essex. Of all the players on the line that I fear the most is Simmons. I really believe/hope that Smith is finished as a Steeler.

Yeah, I think Kemo is gone too. He was too inconsistent. Simmons can be a great blocker one play and seem lost the next. I honestly hope Starks leaves for more $$ somewhere else. He is an average lineman with "upside".......pretty sad for a 5 year vet and I hope we dont make the mistake of overpaying him. Colon is honestly a really good lineman.........he is just out of position at RT.

silverbackattack
02-11-2009, 06:23 PM

Oh Lord, I hope not. As I've said before. The only O-linemen worth a dam is Miller and Hartwig. Smith is so fat he can't get out of his own way. Colon is, how should I say it, "stupid?". Starks, as was said here, "injury prone". Keomatu, I have no idea how he ever became an offensive lineman in the NFL. For that matter I don't know how any of the 4 are playing in the NFL.

Clean'em out. Buy a new one.

steelreserve
02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
My prediction is :

LT- Marvel Smith
LG-Willie Colon
C-Justin Hartwig
LG-Kendall Simmons
RT-Tony Hills

While that's not too far-fetched, I would hope someone is really ready to take over at either tackle for most of a season if needed. Because I've got my fingers crossed for Smith and Hills, but either one of those moves (or both) could go kablooie on us at any minute.

I don't want to see Smith get hurt again and Hills not know what he's doing, and all of a sudden we have Essex at one tackle and an overwhelmed rookie at the other. I guess we could always put Colon back there if that happened, but then we're basically back where we were this year.

Ah well, I guess this is the kind of thing you can't think about too much or it'll make you dumb. Point is, drafting an OL at any position is probably going to help, as long as he's good.

Iron Gut
02-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Tough to predict who will start.

Colon is RFA, he will be resigned and the Steelers like him. He will be the RT

Hartwig will be the C
Simmons will play guard. However, he is actually decent in space. He may be your LG, but most likely will be RG.

The other G could be a suprise. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Steelers pick up a FA to fill this spot. Jason Brown perhaps?

The Steelers know Stapleton is not starting material. They will either draft a top guard at 1-32 or sign a FA.

LT. This is the bear. Do you pay Starks? I do not like him as the Long-term solution. However, Smith scares the hell outta me. I would be tempted to Transition Max again and see If I could trade him for some high draft choices. Then take that $$ and go after someone like Khalif Barnes. Barnes would be a decent stop gap and come at a better price than Max with the same skill set.

Just my $.02

AllD
02-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Let Starks go before the Steelers need a bailout. He thinks he is worth more than he really is.

If I was him I would ask Mr. Rooney for a fair deal. Believe me, he would not go hungry. He would have a legitimate shot at another Super Bowl. Otherwise he will fall into obscurity less than one season after he leave the Steelers.

markymarc
02-11-2009, 09:26 PM
While Tony Hills may not be ready in 2009 I do believe he could be our next LT down the road. They say his leg has not bothered him since coming to Pittsburgh and IMO the one thing he needs to work on is strength. Now I may get grief for this, but I still believe Essex can start at LT for us. I always thought he played very well when filling in for injured players previously. I would like to see us bring him back until Hills is ready and look to bring in another LT in the draft. I let Smith and Starks both walk.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-11-2009, 10:08 PM
While that's not too far-fetched, I would hope someone is really ready to take over at either tackle for most of a season if needed. Because I've got my fingers crossed for Smith and Hills, but either one of those moves (or both) could go kablooie on us at any minute.

I don't want to see Smith get hurt again and Hills not know what he's doing, and all of a sudden we have Essex at one tackle and an overwhelmed rookie at the other. I guess we could always put Colon back there if that happened, but then we're basically back where we were this year.

Ah well, I guess this is the kind of thing you can't think about too much or it'll make you dumb. Point is, drafting an OL at any position is probably going to help, as long as he's good.

I am just projecting Hills to improve this year at camp. I saw flashes of the skills he has and think he could be ready to step in at RT. If he can, then it allows us to get Colon on the field at guard. It's really just trying to get the best 5 guys on the field at once.

The really nice thing would be if we somehow were able to draft either Eben Britton or William Beatty with this lineup. They will need maybe 1 season before stepping in at RT, but could eventually be the starting LT in 2011...........if not sooner.

Its tough for rookie linemen to step in and play well, that is why I was such a huge proponent of taking Anthony Collins last year in the 3rd instead of Bruce Davis. He could be our starting LT in the upcoming season. :banging:

revefsreleets
02-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Right now I'd say that the only two OL spots that are "set" are Hartwig at Center and Simmons at RG (People keep forgetting about him). The rest is up in the air.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Right now I'd say that the only two OL spots that are "set" are Hartwig at Center and Simmons at RG (People keep forgetting about him). The rest is up in the air.

I'd say that Colon is pretty firm at RT too. People hack on him the way they hack on Arians, but dont realize he only gave up 6 sacks in 18 games........and he is a much better run blocker than pass blocker.

The only way Colon isnt playing RT this upcoming season is if they find a spot for him somewhere else on the O line.

revefsreleets
02-12-2009, 10:42 AM
I'd say that Colon is pretty firm at RT too. People hack on him the way they hack on Arians, but dont realize he only gave up 6 sacks in 18 games........and he is a much better run blocker than pass blocker.

The only way Colon isnt playing RT this upcoming season is if they find a spot for him somewhere else on the O line.

That's what I'm thinking, though. Hartwig is DEFINITELY playing center, and I can't see them moving Simmons. EVERY other spot is up for grabs, every player is subject to be moved around.

Fire Haley
02-12-2009, 11:38 AM
After Marvel's surgery, I can't see many teams beating a path to his door. In my world he should come back as a cheap back-up.

OL
OL
OL
DL
WR
LB

That's enough draft picks - package the rest and move up, we only end up cutting the rest anyway.

BlastFurnace
02-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Honestly....are some of you guys happy with the thought of Simmons starting again?

Out of all of them, he is the one I fear the most.

SteelMember
02-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Honestly....are some of you guys happy with the thought of Simmons starting again?

I'm not sure of his current status, but he still has an uphill battle with that injury. Even a year might not be enough time. (week 4 vs. ravens)

The Duke
02-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Out of all of them, he is the one I fear the most.

Well, he is better than stapleton, who wasn't too bad

So yes, I'm happy to have him back. Though I would love to find an eventual replacement in the draft (Robinson)

revefsreleets
02-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Most importantly, the STEELERS are happy with Simmons, and that's good enough for me...

OneForTheToe
02-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Simmons is not a great pass blocker, IMO. However, I think are running game is better when he is in the game. My non-expert eye thinks he is pretty good at pulling, when called upon, and at blocking when he reaches the second level.

BlastFurnace
02-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Well, he is better than stapleton, who wasn't too bad

So yes, I'm happy to have him back. Though I would love to find an eventual replacement in the draft (Robinson)

Perhaps I am the only one on the board right now who thinks Simmons absolutely sucks. I remember others saying that before he was hurt, but I'm not hearing as much of that now.

stlrtruck
02-12-2009, 03:24 PM
I don't care who the Steelers lock down for the roster spots next season, what I care about is finding players that can do the following four things:

1) Open up holes for FWP to get through
2) Block for Ben when he drops back to pass
3) Doesn't false start at least once a quarter
4) Doesn't hold on the big plays

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Most importantly, the STEELERS are happy with Simmons, and that's good enough for me...

This is true and I think we will see Simmons back in the starting lineup next year. Recovery time from an achilles is around 12 months, so we may see him eased back into the spot, or if he is ahead of schedule he will be starting in September.

Stlrs4Life
02-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Gonna be interesting who the Steelers sign at LT. I guess we will know in a couple weeks.

My bet is on Smith because he will cost less, but you never know if they Steelers will pony up the $$$ for Starks or not. :noidea:

I try to sign Starks. Good bye Smith and Essex, no great loss on either of those 2.

lilyoder6
02-12-2009, 08:28 PM
This is true and I think we will see Simmons back in the starting lineup next year. Recovery time from an achilles is around 12 months, so we may see him eased back into the spot, or if he is ahead of schedule he will be starting in September.

i think that even if the recovery time is 12 months for the injury... u don't know if the player can come back and perform well or even be able to perform... esp for a lineman who uses his legs/calfs and feet so much to push other players

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-12-2009, 08:51 PM
I hope they keep Starks....

revefsreleets
02-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I used to think Simmons was a weak link until I started reading specific reports on individual performance by our OL. He was constantly graded highly, usually the most highly, which surprised me.

steelballs
02-13-2009, 11:06 AM
My choice would be to sign Starks. Smith has been too fragile and Starks has proven that he can be a solid performer.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2009, 11:14 AM
i think that even if the recovery time is 12 months for the injury... u don't know if the player can come back and perform well or even be able to perform... esp for a lineman who uses his legs/calfs and feet so much to push other players

Greg Ellis successfully came back from achilles injury to be very productive. A DE uses his achilies/calves much more than an O lineman. You want your O linemen to squat in run blocking and use the strength in the quads, hamstrings........if they are up on their toes using the calf.........they have no power.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2009, 11:18 AM
I used to think Simmons was a weak link until I started reading specific reports on individual performance by our OL. He was constantly graded highly, usually the most highly, which surprised me.

Where were these reports?? Who was grading him?? I believe it, because he is similar to Colon in that he is a very good run blocker, a mauler that likes contact and takes on the rusher, but sometimes gets beat inside and that is why fans get all over him.

If a guy gives up 6 sacks in 18 games, the fans think he sucks and is a bum. If he does everything else well and has a couple breakdowns in technique per game, most people knowledgeable about close line play thing its a B+ job.

revefsreleets
02-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I actually posted some of them here. I can't remember what the web address was, but it "broke down the break downs" so to speak and graded the individual lineman. The only possible knock on the site was that it worked off the mistakes made, pinpointing who was responsible for the breakdown, which kind of assumes that the OLman performed their duties adaquately when the plays were successful. Still, it was a cool resource.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2009, 11:33 AM
I actually posted some of them here. I can't remember what the web address was, but it "broke down the break downs" so to speak and graded the individual lineman. The only possible knock on the site was that it worked off the mistakes made, pinpointing who was responsible for the breakdown, which kind of assumes that the OLman performed their duties adaquately when the plays were successful. Still, it was a cool resource.

Yeah, I remember the posts. It was pretty good despite the grainy video, but most of if I agreed with.

Its true that the only time you hear an linemans name is when he is penalized and then most think he is a bum, which is incorrect. Everybody sees Hartwig's hold and remembers that, but he made a great reach block on Gabe Watson in the 2nd quarter to spring parker down to the 4 yard line.

Conversely, a lot think that Kemo is a great blocker, because he doesnt get penalized that much and they dont hear his name as much as Colon, but he could not make the same block on Gabe Watson on the QB draw..........otherwise Ben scores a TD instead of settling for a FG in the 3rd quarter. Simmons, Colon, Hartwig would be a solid interior line!!!

Edman
02-13-2009, 11:38 AM
This should be a no-brainer. Starks gets retained.

Smith's back has turned to mush and the surgery he had last year hasn't exactly helped. He's on the wrong side of thirty and he did a no-no last offseason: He PINED for a new contract in the media.

Marvel is out of here.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2009, 11:47 AM
This should be a no-brainer. Starks gets retained.

Smith's back has turned to mush and the surgery he had last year hasn't exactly helped. He's on the wrong side of thirty and he did a no-no last offseason: He PINED for a new contract in the media.

Marvel is out of here.

We will see in the upcoming 2 weeks.

-Actually, Marvel Smith is 29 years old, so still on the low side of 30.
-Also, I believe the correct term is Smith had a "Discectomy" to remove a herniated disc that pressed against a nerve. Its a far cry from "turning to mush".
-Finally, I believe it was Smiths agent that PINED for a new contract in the media....its what agents do. Below are Smiths comments......hardly the same tone as a former Steelers O lineman

To me, if it's going to happen, it's going to happen," said Smith, who has been a starter since he was the team's second-round draft choice in 2000. "It's not something I can worry about, for the most part. I love football. Any opportunity I get to play, whether it's in the offseason or not, that's what I plan on doing." http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08164/889330-66.stm

lilyoder6
02-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Greg Ellis successfully came back from achilles injury to be very productive. A DE uses his achilies/calves much more than an O lineman. You want your O linemen to squat in run blocking and use the strength in the quads, hamstrings........if they are up on their toes using the calf.........they have no power.

ellis is 1 case..

to his 1 successful case there are prob 10 failed cases.........

it's very very hard 2 come back from this injury... i forgot bout ellis,, but still he was a lucky one 2 be able 2 come back from it where others fail

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2009, 02:03 PM
ellis is 1 case..

to his 1 successful case there are prob 10 failed cases.........

it's very very hard 2 come back from this injury... i forgot bout ellis,, but still he was a lucky one 2 be able 2 come back from it where others fail

You are guessing that 10% of athletes come back from an achilles tendon injury......not exactly.

Achilles tendon injuries in athletes.
Sports Medical Research Unit, Paavo Nurmi Centre, University of Turku, Finland.
Following surgery, about 70 to 90% of athletes have a successful comeback after Achilles tendon injury. .......Complete Achilles tendon ruptures of athletes are treated surgically, because this increases the likelihood of athletes reaching preinjury activity levels and minimises the risk of re-ruptures http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7809555

Maybe Simmons is in the 70% that come back or maybe the 30% that don't. I dont know, but I give him better than a 10% chance of being in the lineup next year.

SteelMember
02-13-2009, 02:50 PM
At least he dosen't play golf or he'd "push the ball to the right every time and quit the game out of pure frustration."

Well, according to bill murray anyway. :chuckle:

steelerbackr4life
02-13-2009, 02:53 PM
At least he dosen't play golf or he'd "push the ball to the right every time and quit the game out of pure frustration."

Well, according to bill murray anyway. :chuckle:

:rofl: "He'll quit the game"

Preacher
02-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks, I'll call you if I need any help with that! :laughing:

lilyoder6
02-13-2009, 04:42 PM
You are guessing that 10% of athletes come back from an achilles tendon injury......not exactly.

Achilles tendon injuries in athletes.
Sports Medical Research Unit, Paavo Nurmi Centre, University of Turku, Finland.
Following surgery, about 70 to 90% of athletes have a successful comeback after Achilles tendon injury. .......Complete Achilles tendon ruptures of athletes are treated surgically, because this increases the likelihood of athletes reaching preinjury activity levels and minimises the risk of re-ruptures http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7809555

Maybe Simmons is in the 70% that come back or maybe the 30% that don't. I dont know, but I give him better than a 10% chance of being in the lineup next year.

thats athletes in general... that can go from water-polo all the way 2 football...
but in football.. there's not many players that can come back..

lavar arrington tore his achilles... hasn't been signed since...
TKO tore his achilles tendon... i think he is still playing but not sure... but if he is.. he is def not playing like his old self

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2009, 05:13 PM
thats athletes in general... that can go from water-polo all the way 2 football...
but in football.. there's not many players that can come back..

lavar arrington tore his achilles... hasn't been signed since...
TKO tore his achilles tendon... i think he is still playing but not sure... but if he is.. he is def not playing like his old self

Sorry, but just trying to quantify a recovery rate from Achilles injuries, rather than arbitrarily saying 10% and counting Kendall Simmons career over.

The most famous athlete to rupture an Achilles tendon in recent years was Donovan Bailey , the 100m gold medalist from the Atlanta Olympics

Football players can come back from an Achilles tendon repair and cope with a minute loss of speed. One of the most famous to do this was Miami Dolphins' quarterback Dan Marino

http://injuryupdate.com.au/injuries/foot_&_ankle/tendon_rupture.php

A loss of speed would hurt the play of Arrington, but not so much with an O lineman.

mopit55
02-13-2009, 05:26 PM
i agree simmons injury was serious so he will be backup next year. like to watch this offensive line:LT starks LG unger C hatwig RG stapleton RT colon or move into the line max unger or keep kemo and stapleton as a backup.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-13-2009, 05:39 PM
i agree simmons injury was serious so he will be backup next year. like to watch this offensive line:LT starks LG unger C hatwig RG stapleton RT colon or move into the line max unger or keep kemo and stapleton as a backup.

Sorry, but that O line would be worse than this years. Have you watched Max Unger play any football????

-2nd Play of the Senior Bowl game, Unger gets pushed 4 yards deep in the backfield by Fili Moala

-in the Holiday Bowl, Max Unger gets stuffed at the line of scrimmage by 265 lb D-lineman, Derek Burton of Oklahoma state and then Burton tackles the RB for a loss

- in the Nov. 1/08 meeting, California NT Mika Kane (311 lbs) pushed Unger all over the field. Unger was able to get angles on Kane, but not drive him in run blocking. Cal won 26-16

Replacing Kemoateu with Max Unger would make our running game even more nonexistant. IMO, Max Unger is a 6'5" center that needs a zone blocking scheme and cannot handle big D linemen like Shaun Rogers, Domata Peko, Haloti Ngata, Ty Warren, Richard Seymour, Albert Haynesworth, etc.

steelreserve
02-13-2009, 05:51 PM

Now why would you do that? All you've done is keep this year's line and replace one guy with a rookie. That's going to get worse before it gets better.

mopit55
02-14-2009, 05:10 PM
ok guys unger is not the player who can protect inside or help the running game but to keep ben healthy is the major thing so maybe draft a big lineman like duke robinson herman johnson and others...in this draft we must draft an O linemen because haynesworth seymour warren NGATA rogers will hurt our quaterback or offensive game..

lilyoder6
02-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Sorry, but just trying to quantify a recovery rate from Achilles injuries, rather than arbitrarily saying 10% and counting Kendall Simmons career over.

The most famous athlete to rupture an Achilles tendon in recent years was Donovan Bailey , the 100m gold medalist from the Atlanta Olympics

Football players can come back from an Achilles tendon repair and cope with a minute loss of speed. One of the most famous to do this was Miami Dolphins' quarterback Dan Marino

http://injuryupdate.com.au/injuries/foot_&_ankle/tendon_rupture.php

A loss of speed would hurt the play of Arrington, but not so much with an O lineman.

i hope u do know i just threw a % out there... but in more cases than not.. football players will have a very hard time making it back and they don't.. and if some do, then some of those don't play up to there standards....

and i am making references to football.. not any other sports.. even tho i bet it would be a battle to come back from

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2009, 08:46 AM
i hope u do know i just threw a % out there... but in more cases than not.. football players will have a very hard time making it back and they don't.. and if some do, then some of those don't play up to there standards....

and i am making references to football.. not any other sports.. even tho i bet it would be a battle to come back from

I know you just threw a number out there and that is why I have looked up some statistics. Saying that fooball players will have a hard time making it back is OK..........but what evidence do you have?? What players?? Is it just Arrington, because Marino and Ellis came back quite well.

Big thing is that most come back with less speed than before according to those articles I posted and Simmons doesnt need, nor did he have speed. I am optimistic he will be back, but might be wrong. You doubt it because of a couple guys you remember not being the same.

GBMelBlount
02-15-2009, 09:33 AM
The one thing I noticed on this thread is that most everyone differs on who to keep, who to play and where to put them....that is because we ALOT of mediocre (at best) lineman and not a single consensus stud to anchor our line.

Plus the 100 million dollar man may not be around much longer if he keeps getting hammered 50 times a year.

I think we MUST draft O-line early AND often.

lilyoder6
02-15-2009, 10:52 AM
I know you just threw a number out there and that is why I have looked up some statistics. Saying that fooball players will have a hard time making it back is OK..........but what evidence do you have?? What players?? Is it just Arrington, because Marino and Ellis came back quite well.

Big thing is that most come back with less speed than before according to those articles I posted and Simmons doesnt need, nor did he have speed. I am optimistic he will be back, but might be wrong. You doubt it because of a couple guys you remember not being the same.

i hope he can come back too...

but ur optimistic b/c of a couple of guys u can remember... ur 2 against my 2...
i guess the only way 2 find out his 2 wait and see what will happen..

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2009, 12:10 PM
i hope he can come back too...

but ur optimistic b/c of a couple of guys u can remember... ur 2 against my 2...
i guess the only way 2 find out his 2 wait and see what will happen..

No, I am optimistic because of several medical reports on Achilles injuries that say anywhere from 70%- 90% of athletes can come back, but with normal side effects of a slight loss in speed.

Also, I understand the physical demands of playing offensive line. It doesnt require calf strength or speed. Simmons should be fine unless he gets some kind of Browns type infection.