PDA

View Full Version : UFL

drizze99
02-10-2009, 09:32 AM
How many of you will watch the new start-up league? I am a football nut, so I'll be checking it out. To me, it seems like this league will be the minor league for the NFL. What do you peeps think?

ESPN article on UFL (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3894279&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines)

UFL Website (http://www.ufl-football.com)

jjpro11
02-10-2009, 11:40 AM
i wish they would do it over the summer rather than during the nfl season.. arena football doesnt do it for me, and its going to be too hard to compete with college football and the nfl.

steelreserve
02-10-2009, 12:14 PM
i wish they would do it over the summer rather than during the nfl season.. arena football doesnt do it for me, and its going to be too hard to compete with college football and the nfl.

Seriously. Having the season competing head-to-head with the NFL has got to be one of the biggest bonehead moves of all time. This has one-and-done written all over it.

drizze99
02-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Well the games are on Thursday and Friday nights so it is not going directly head to head with college ball of the NFL.

After reading all about it yesterday, I really believe that the NFL is backing this league. With NFL Europe defunct and Arena ball taking a "break", the NFL needs a middle ground for developmental players.

steelreserve
02-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Well the games are on Thursday and Friday nights so it is not going directly head to head with college ball of the NFL.

After reading all about it yesterday, I really believe that the NFL is backing this league. With NFL Europe defunct and Arena ball taking a "break", the NFL needs a middle ground for developmental players.

They definitely do need something like this. There's always the CFL, but that's not really an NFL "D-League."

I just don't think people are going to be that excited about football on Thursdays and Fridays, when there are better games going on in a day or two. Right after the NFL season wouldn't be bad; in the summer would be even better, since all you have to compete with is MLB and all their steroids.

KeiselPower99
02-10-2009, 01:24 PM
I am following it over on their fan forum which has a couple insiders posting on it. UFLACCESS.COM. Anyway I really think this year is more of an experiment with 3 of the 4 teams spliting games between 2 citites. While I love football I really think they should do it in the spring.If there is gonna be a D League for the NFL I think itll be the new USFL.

msafford
02-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Well....maybe the Browns can join the UFL, so they can win something. What am I saying? They'll suck whereever they are.

steelerdave1969
02-20-2009, 06:01 AM
One and Done, just like the WNBA should have been. If not for the NBA the womens league would have been busted after 1/2 a season. Sorry, it just doesnt work.

xfl2001fan
02-20-2009, 06:37 AM
They definitely do need something like this. There's always the CFL, but that's not really an NFL "D-League."

I just don't think people are going to be that excited about football on Thursdays and Fridays, when there are better games going on in a day or two. Right after the NFL season wouldn't be bad; in the summer would be even better, since all you have to compete with is MLB and all their steroids.

Thursday and Friday? IDK I like to watch MAC games on Thursdays...it's always entertaining...and Friday's I tend to go visit the local high school teams. I may check it out...but as others have stated, the timing is terrible. This would be ideal to fill in the time slot that Arena Football initially filled...(right after the Probowl)

The next best ideal slot is to ensure that the Championship game is played the week before the Hall of Fame game (and backtrack the season from there.)

I haven't kept up with this much. Any idea how they are slotting the players? Does each team get to send "x" number of players to a given team...or is it all randomlike?

I didn't know if they would have like 8 teams, with each representing a conference (AFC North, NFC North, etc...)

KeiselPower99
02-20-2009, 08:27 AM
They are quickly turning into a joke league. Going head to head with the Nfl is not gonna work.

NEPAsteeler
02-20-2009, 09:22 AM
I really don't see them lasting for more than a season, maybe two. Why would you try compete with the NFL during the fall? That's so stupid. Oh well. I have the Steelers and Penn State during the fall and my local AF2 (the minor league of the Arena Football League) team during the spring.

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Its sad that this has been tried before and failed miserably. Why do people think this will work again.

The NFL needs to have another league, only not in Europe, it needs a type of Minor League system that it can use to develop players. And if they do in fact impose a Rookie Salary cap, it would help the developmental league because guys wouldn't be so keen on jumping to the bigs too early for that "pay check".

Better to have a year or two of real ball under your belt before you get thrown to the wolves. At least that's how I see it.

ShutDown24
02-20-2009, 11:42 AM
The league will fail, but I'll watch.

As far as people saying this could be a developmental league for the NFL, I'm sorry but college football is the NFL's minor league. Sure, a guy here or there could carry over but it will be similar to the ones that get into the NFL from the CFL or AFL. Just a guy here or there.

xfl2001fan
02-20-2009, 04:51 PM
From what I'm understanding, the NFL is actually trying to back this...so that they can more readily replace their players. It's hard to do that with Arena players because of the vastly different system in place. It may also help the economy out some by creating a lot of jobs. The players who don't make it in the NFL (initially) will have a chance to develop in a gimmick-less atmosphere more akin to what they'll be facing in "the Big League."

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Tony Romo can go play in the UFL and practice so he can attempt to be a real NFL QB as some point in his career.

HA!

PisnNapalm
02-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Why the hell would I watch this??

Big D
02-20-2009, 05:13 PM
it's the new xfl. I would have put this during the nfl offseason, Kind of use this as a minor league football team