PDA

View Full Version : Steelers fans, Pats are still team of the decade

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Steelers fans, Pats are still team of the decade
06:36 PM EST on Sunday, February 8, 2009

Monday morning quarterbacking following the first Sunday in six months without football . . .

Yes, I know the Pro Bowl was played yesterday. And, no, it does not count as football.

They have every reason to be proud in Pittsburgh. The Steelers are, after all, Super Bowl champions for the second time in four years.

There are residents who have begun to refer to the Steel City as “Sixburg,” because of the Steelers’ sextet of Super Bowl wins, moving them past the Cowboys and 49ers as all-time NFL leaders.

But they also are being pretentious in Pittsburgh, where people are talking about the Steelers as the Team of the Decade.

Those people have short memories and apparently can’t count very well.

The Patriots of New England have won three Super Bowls in this decade and came within seconds of winning a fourth. Twice, the Patriots advanced to the Super Bowl by upsetting the favored Steelers in Pittsburgh. In 2001, the Steelers had given up the fewest points in the AFC. The Patriots won, 24-17, as Drew Bledsoe came off the bench when Tom Brady was injured late in the second quarter and quickly threw a touchdown pass. In 2004, the Steelers had given up the fewest points in the NFL. The Patriots put up 41 and won by two touchdowns, then went on to win their second straight Super Bowl, their third in four years.

For those of you counting in Pittsburgh, that’s three in this decade, to the Steelers’ two. The Patriots have been to four Super Bowls in this decade, twice as many as the Steelers. The year the Pats lost the Super Bowl, they went undefeated during the regular season -- only the second team in modern NFL history to accomplish that feat.

In addition, the Patriots nearly went to a fifth Super Bowl, almost upsetting the high-scoring Colts in Indianapolis in the 2006 AFC championship game.

So that’s five AFC championship game appearances, four AFC titles, and three Super Bowl wins in nine years for New England. Pittsburgh has four AFC championship game appearances, two AFC titles, and two Super Bowl wins.

Now, if the Steelers can repeat in 2009, which would be their third title in five years, there at least would be a meaningful discussion as to whether they deserved to be Team of the Decade.

Until then, it’s OK to be proud in Pittsburgh, but not pretentious. Anyone who thinks the Steelers, rather than the Patriots, are the Team of the Decade is delirious.

The franchising of Matt Cassel is a win-win situation for the Patriots and the young QB. Whether anybody else becomes a winner as a result is somewhat more suspect.

Cassel, who led New England to an 11-5 record after Tom Brady was lost for the season in the first quarter of the first game, will receive a massive bump in salary, from $520,000 in 2008 to $14.65 million in 2009. That’s slightly more than the $14.6 million Brady’s on the books for next season. As a franchise player, Cassel had to be paid the average of the top five salaries at his position.

Clearly, the Patriots don’t want to tie up $29.25 million of the $123 million they have available under the salary cap in two quarterbacks. Having a capable backup is a necessity to remain in playoff contention, as the Patriots proved this past season, but it’s not economically feasible to pay starter’s money to the backup – especially the kind of money paid the best quarterbacks in the league.

While Cassel is being paid like one of the NFL’s top QBs, the question remains if he really is one. The Patriots are hoping several teams in need of a quality quarterback believe he is.

The ideal scenario for New England is that a bidding war develops for Cassel’s services, with at least a couple of clubs offering the Pats an enticing array of draft choices, while at the same time offering Cassel a long-term contract he deems acceptable.

The situation is dire in Detroit, where the Lions are coming off a humiliating, 0-16 season. While Cassel wouldn’t be worth the first overall pick in the draft, the Lions might very well be willing to part with their second choice in Round One, No. 20 overall, which they have courtesy of the Cowboys.

The Pats likely would want more than that, however, and so the question in Detroit is whether Cassel has more potential than the likes of Southern Cal’s Mark Sanchez and Georgia’s Matthew Stafford.

Kansas City, where former Pats personnel guru Scott Pioli now runs the entire football operation, has the third overall pick, but it’s hard to see the Chiefs, even with Tyler Thigpen at QB, parting with that for Cassel. Whether another deal can be worked out – if, indeed, Pioli thinks that much of Cassel, remains to be seen.

It’s not just bad teams who could be interested. Cassel could prove to be the difference maker in the NFC North, where the Vikings (Tarvaris Jackson) and Bears (Kyle Orton) both could use an upgrade at QB as they battle for the top spot in the division. The Bears have the 18th pick in the first round, Minnesota, the 22nd, just ahead of the Patriots.

San Francisco (Shaun Hill and Alex Smith) has the 10th pick. Tampa Bay has a new coach in Raheem Morris and a new GM in Mark Dominik. The Bucs, who have the 19th pick in the first round, may want a new QB, too, rather than old-timers Jeff Garcia and Brian Griese. The Jets also are in need of a quarterback, but it seems highly unlikely Cassel would end up in New York. And what is Vince Young’s situation in Tennessee? If the Titans are worried about his future, they might consider Cassel as a QB who’d keep them in the playoff picture.

Although Cassel exceeded expectations, and clearly progressed as the season went along, the question remains how good he can be with another team.

In New England, he benefited from superior coaching and preparation, as well as familiarity with a highly productive system. He was operating behind an offensive line that, in 2007, had three players in the Pro Bowl. He was throwing to Randy Moss, Wes Welker, and Kevin Faulk – as good a group of receivers as there is east of Arizona.

How well Cassel performs for a new staff, in a new system, behind an O-line that may not afford him the same sort of protection he received in New England, while throwing to less-capable receivers, all makes it a gamble for a team to part with several high draft picks and many millions of dollars to obtain his services.

But can they afford not to?

The Patriots will be hoping the price turns out to be right, lest they find themselves paying big bucks for two starters when only one can play.
http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/jim_donaldson_cassel_0208.3132498c.html

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-10-2009, 12:02 PM
In the comment section at the bottom of the article...you will see "Mr.Biggs"

thats me.

And here was my response:

What the writer and "most" Patriot Fans fail to understand is that, outside of New England, there is a general consensus that the Patriots have an asterick beside all of their wins. The only thing "pretentious" is those who choose to dress up the pig in a dress...and ignore the scandal clad years in their own organization.
Sorry...but a dynasty is never followed by a *

Dino 6 Rings
02-10-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't think the Steelers are the team of the Decade.

I believe they are the best team of the last 40 years however.

6 > 3 every single time.

steelpride12
02-10-2009, 12:11 PM
No not the decade, but whole NFL existance yes. 6 honest championships compared to 3 cheated, asterik wins. Ill take Pittsburgh anyday.

fansince'76
02-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Coming from by far the most conceited and pretentious fanbase in the league. :coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
02-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Coming from by far the most conceited and pretentious fanbase in the league. :coffee:

Actually, getting punched in the face last year and losing the SB after an 18-0 start has humbled many of those guys.

I mean...talk about Eating Humble Pie...getting your lunch money stolen by Eli Manning will pretty much make any person shut up and keep it closed.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-10-2009, 12:20 PM
1) Our 2 honest SB wins trumps three wins with an asterick...(...and the Patriots havn't won a title since they had their cameras taken from them..:chuckle:)

2) We still have the 2009 season...and could very well be telling this writer to kiss our big hairy hineys, this time next year!!!

fansince'76
02-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Actually, getting punched in the face last year and losing the SB after an 18-0 start has humbled many of those guys.

Coulda fooled me - from the "comments" section of that article:

Let's see now; the Steelers win SB two years ago, but afterwards the national press pick the Patriots to win the SB the following year. OK, flash forward to this year: ditto. It seems that it's not just the NE fans that recognize and appreciate a superior product, but smart and creditable sources across the nation do too. What's the matter with the Steelers that they can't be picked to repeat any year? I'll put my money on the Patriots to win any year just based on coaching, talent and smart football; not to on-field thugery which is the Steeler's main claim to fame.

Someone needs to tell this assclown it's 2009, not 2004 and that it isn't our safety getting pegged as the dirtiest player in the league by other players year after year after year. And also that our HC isn't a cheating piece of shit. :coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
02-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Thuggery...awww...he's just complaining that we

HIT TOO HARD!

Dino 6 Rings
02-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Take it, Take that HIT Right across your sorry arse mouth you Pansy!

Yeah, we will BEAT YOU into Submission. You WILL Tap Out and You will Bow Down and recognize that you got your mother effing arse BEATEN to a PULP this season by the SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!

fansince'76
02-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Thuggery...awww...he's just complaining that we

HIT TOO HARD!

Don't recall any of our DLs (or any of our defensive players period, for that matter) being fined on four separate occasions this past season for being a cheap shot artist.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Coulda fooled me - from the "comments" section of that article:

Someone needs to tell this assclown it's 2009, not 2004 and that it isn't our safety getting pegged as the dirtiest player in the league by other players year after year after year. And also that our HC isn't a cheating piece of shit. :coffee:

You will like my answer to this idiot...:chuckle:

jjpro11
02-10-2009, 12:38 PM
funny how they needed tapes to beat us in both afc championship games.

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 01:00 PM
the Patriots nearly went to a fifth Super Bowl, almost upsetting the high-scoring Coltsyeah the steelers almost went to 4 superbowls. its upsetting their hgh infused opponents had to cheat. should be 4-3 if we're gonna talk "almosts". plus we almost went in 97, 94, and "almost" won it all in 95.

we're the best.

suck it patfans.

Dino 6 Rings
02-10-2009, 01:05 PM
yeah the steelers almost went to 4 superbowls. its upsetting their hgh infused opponents had to cheat. should be 4-3 if we're gonna talk "almosts". plus we almost went in 97, 94, and "almost" won it all in 95.

we're the best.

suck it patfans.

Didn't the Patriots give up the Record come back in an AFC Title game to the Colts that year? Like, I mean, choked on it real bad that season?

fansince'76
02-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Didn't the Patriots give up the Record come back in an AFC Title game to the Colts that year? Like, I mean, choked on it real bad that season?

They didn't choke. They weren't at full strength. Their poor pwayers had the fwu and the mean old Colts turned up the temperature in the dome. WAAAHHH! :crying01:

The main problem was that we didn't have enough of our 2nd string D able to play in the 2nd half against the Colts - let alone Seau and Harrison who were both done for the season way before that point.

We had our 3rd choice safeties and a bunch of LBers who were seeing their first major action of the season.

What killed us was that we couldn't make the Colts 1 dimensional by taking away the run - that is, without a doubt, one of the things that hurt us most.

And its something that Seau and Harrison would have helped with.

I know it sounds like excuses, excuses but we were barely able to put a fit body out on D in the second half - there was also a flu epidemic that swept through the team.

Im not a great believer in the 'injuries aren't excuses' motto that seems so popular - if half your team is unable to take the field that has to be a valid issue.

:violin:

steelreserve
02-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I refuse to recognize a Super Bowl champion from 2001, 2003 or 2004, so I don't see how any of this matters. 2 > 0.

MACH1
02-10-2009, 02:25 PM
I

6 > * every single time.

Fixed it for ya. :chuckle:

KeiselPower99
02-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Hell they can call themselves Patty for all I care. If it makes them sleep better at night they can have it.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-10-2009, 02:52 PM
When we win our seventh Super Bowl, we will go 3-0 in Super Bowls. The Pats* will be at 3-1.

Teams if the Decade don't lose when they get to the Super Bowl.

1970's Steelers: 4-0
1980's 49ers: 4-0
1990's Cowboys: 3-0

And when we win SB XLV, that gives if a fourth to thier third (and 8 overall), meaning we get team of the decade anyhow.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-10-2009, 02:58 PM
I mean...talk about Eating Humble Pie...getting your lunch money stolen by Eli Manning will pretty much make any person shut up and keep it closed.

:rofl:

No kidding!!! I bet that Steven Gostkowski could kick Eli's ass......but he stole your ring. :chuckle:

Morgan
02-10-2009, 03:51 PM
To whomever said the Steelers are the greatest team in the whole NFL existence... I'd have to disagree, and I'm a Steelers fan. The Steelers in the pre-superbowl era were TERRIBLE. I mean HORRID. I mean OH MY GOD were they bad.

The Packers and then the Browns were the greatest pre-merger NFL teams, hands down. Of course back then the whole league had less teams in it than each conference has today. It was a different world. But the Steelers were probably one of the WORST teams of the era. In fact, the best thing you can say about the Steelers from 1933 to 1970 is "well, at least they didn't go under."

Greatest team of the Super Bowl era? Certainly. I believe we have the best winning percentage of the era, as well as, as well all know. SIX. :)

Hammer67
02-10-2009, 04:05 PM
This thread amuses me. You guys are all silly. Every last one of yah!

lilyoder6
02-10-2009, 04:08 PM
when u hear about the "era" of the pats and the 3 SB wins they had, the 1st thing will be spygate... just like in baseball.. there legacy is tainted

steelreserve
02-10-2009, 04:33 PM
The Packers and then the Browns were the greatest pre-merger NFL teams, hands down.

So? There really isn't any fair way to compare the "old school" era with today. You're almost talking about two different sports. That's where the argument stops working.

It wasn't just different in the early days of footbal, it was unbelievably different. Compared to today, things were completely disorganized, and the threshold you had to clear to set yourself apart from the rest was laughably low by comparison. Anyone or any team who was even decent by today's standards would have cartoonish levels of success that there is absolutely no hope of duplicating against anything like a high level of competition. I don't think things were even in the same ballpark until the late 1950s-early 1960s.

Godfather
02-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Sorry Pats. 3 > 2 but 2 > 3*

The Patriot
02-10-2009, 06:07 PM
It's laughable that you guys are trying to make this argument.

The Colts are the team of the decade.

SteelCurtain7
02-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Fixed it for ya. :chuckle:

Like I told off the Cheats* fan a while back:

15-4> 18-1* :rofl: :tt:

SteelCurtain7
02-10-2009, 06:16 PM

It's laughable that you're spouting off this nonsense.

Two legitimate SB wins > one legit SB win. Reco'nize. :tt:

Steelcitygal87
02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
and who can forget...

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x313/smokin3000gt/cheaties.jpg

:toofunny: Made with 100% REAL footage lol

The Patriot
02-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Two legitimate SB wins > one legit SB win. Reco'nize. :tt:

How about you take a time out to formulate your ideas. :sofunny:

steelerbackr4life
02-10-2009, 07:14 PM
As much as it hurts me to say. The team from Foxboro is the team of the decade. Regardless if they have a knack for illegaly video taping their opponent then using that info to beat said opponent. Bottom line is they have the hardware.

Having said that there is still one more year left in this decade!
HERE WE GO STEELERS!
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:
HERE WE GO!

SteelCurtain7
02-10-2009, 07:28 PM
How about you take a time out to formulate your ideas. :sofunny:

How about you playing the Patriotard and trolling on another team's MB? Why? Jealous much? Envious that we won--WITHOUT CHEATING? :tt: :rofl:

TeeJay
02-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Pats fans,

If you're gonna cry about it, you can keep that moniker, greatest team of the decade.....

The Steelers will just hold on to those 6 Lombardi Trophy's. And the acknowledgement that they are the Greatest Team in the history of the NFL.......

I know which I prefer.

lilyoder6
02-10-2009, 07:45 PM
As much as it hurts me to say. The team from Foxboro is the team of the decade. Regardless if they have a knack for illegaly video taping their opponent then using that info to beat said opponent. Bottom line is they have the hardware.

Having said that there is still one more year left in this decade!
HERE WE GO STEELERS!
:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:
HERE WE GO!

not rly... even if the steelers do win the SB next season.. it will be in 2010 and that will be the start of a new decade...

we have 1 more football season left in this decade but not SB

steelerbackr4life
02-10-2009, 07:59 PM
not rly... even if the steelers do win the SB next season.. it will be in 2010 and that will be the start of a new decade...

True .I was trying to work the angle that the winner of that game will be the champion of the 2009 season. I really meant it when I said I hated to give that team its just credit.

Morgan
02-11-2009, 06:17 AM
So? There really isn't any fair way to compare the "old school" era with today. You're almost talking about two different sports. That's where the argument stops working.

It wasn't just different in the early days of footbal, it was unbelievably different. Compared to today, things were completely disorganized, and the threshold you had to clear to set yourself apart from the rest was laughably low by comparison. Anyone or any team who was even decent by today's standards would have cartoonish levels of success that there is absolutely no hope of duplicating against anything like a high level of competition. I don't think things were even in the same ballpark until the late 1950s-early 1960s.

That's what I said. It's not comparable, it was a totally different game, and the Steelers were about the worst of the worst of the teams that make it through that era, ergo, the Steelers cannot be considered the greatest team of the "entire NFL existence" is all I said. They're merely (lol) the greatest team of the far superior Super Bowl Era. :tt03::tt:

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2009, 08:06 AM

Nice attempt at deflection!

How's the off season look for your defense Pat? Think they'll draft LBs this year or are you looking at some Free Agent signings to sure things up on that side of the ball?

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-11-2009, 08:26 AM

It is widely held that we won 4 superbowls in the 70's....yet the last one of those Super Bowl XIV was played on Jan 20th 1980.

That made us the 1979 season champions....SOOOOOOO...if we win next year we WILL be the champions of 2009....with three superbowls for that decade.

The Patriot
02-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Nice attempt at deflection!

How's the off season look for your defense Pat? Think they'll draft LBs this year or are you looking at some Free Agent signings to sure things up on that side of the ball?

Well, after a long draft drought we finally picked up Mayo. Because we have the Chargers second round pick this year, I say we draft a CB in the first round and a DE and an LB in the second round.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Well, after a long draft drought we finally picked up Mayo. Because we have the Chargers second round pick this year, I say we draft a CB in the first round and a DE and an LB in the second round.

I wouldnt be surprised to see the Pats pick up Tully Banta-Cain ...he was just released by the 49ers...and he knows your system.

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2009, 12:02 PM

That would go a long way to helping that Defense.

How's the Oline? Free agency peeling any guys away or are the Pats ready to continue next season with the same Offense?

revefsreleets
02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
It's fine if the Pats DO end up with the "team of the decade" honor. Everybody knows they didn't come by it fairly and squarly, so it will always be tainted.

They had their run and will most likely fade into oblivion. Without the aid of videotapes and intercepting the oppositions play calls, they will be pretty average from here on out, so enjoy the "honor". The est of the world knows how things really went down.

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm not one to knock their wins or attempt to taint them. That's no different than people biatching about our win over the Seahawks using the refs as an excuse for Hassleback throwing an int, the TE unable to catch, the MVP RB unable to get yards and their defense unable to stop Hines....

It is what it is, they won 3 superbowls. We won 2 since they won their last one. it is clear that a shift has taken place in the AFC. The Steelers have usurped the role as "team to beat". Until the Pats get back and win a SB they will taste the awfulness of that loss to the Giants.

I tasted the loss to the Cowboys for 10 years. Felt good to get that out with XL and get a second helping of Greatness Pie to boot 3 years later.

Last 10 winners:
Steelers
Giants
Colts
Steelers
Patriots
Patriots
Buccaneers
Patriots
Ravens
Rams

The Patriots appear more on that list, I don't argue it at all. However, we are now the new ultimate power in the universe.

steelreserve
02-11-2009, 12:59 PM
That's what I said. It's not comparable, it was a totally different game, and the Steelers were about the worst of the worst of the teams that make it through that era, ergo, the Steelers cannot be considered the greatest team of the "entire NFL existence" is all I said. They're merely (lol) the greatest team of the far superior Super Bowl Era. :tt03::tt:

I disagree with that. I'm willing to go a step farther and call the Steelers the best team in the history of professional football, and say that football in the '30s and '40s was more like a barely-organized amateur sport, at least by modern standards. I mean, that was still when you'd hear about shit like a team picking up some burly guy off a garbage truck the day before the game and making him the starting middle linebacker.

The Browns and Packers might have been champions of whatever they played, but it was basically a different game. And the Steelers might have been bad at it, but they were also bad at a different game.

Edman
02-11-2009, 02:46 PM
The Steelers aren't exactly the team of the decade. Not yet. But they have been the one of the best since the merger. Second only to Miami in all time wins since 1970. But get this: Pittsburgh has won two Super Bowls since the Patriots won their last one.

steelerbackr4life
02-11-2009, 04:28 PM

Why the draft drought? Did they have less picks? Oh yes thats right they lost picks for CHEATING.

steelerbackr4life
02-11-2009, 04:32 PM
It is widely held that we won 4 superbowls in the 70's....yet the last one of those Super Bowl XIV was played on Jan 20th 1980.

That made us the 1979 season champions....SOOOOOOO...if we win next year we WILL be the champions of 2009....with three superbowls for that decade.

That was what I said earlier in this thread. I forgot all about a similar scenario happening with 14

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Oh if the Steelers win it all again next season, it will be a complete fiasco for all other football fans.

I mean, I'm already a jerk, another win just increases my level of jerkiness 10 fold...at least.

The Patriot
02-11-2009, 05:16 PM
That would go a long way to helping that Defense.

How's the Oline? Free agency peeling any guys away or are the Pats ready to continue next season with the same Offense?

Offensive line doesn't bother me. If Brady plays then he has a quick enough release to make do with average protection. If Cassel plays then we have bigger problems. We're bound to lose a couple names on offense but oh well. Our defense needs to start getting younger.

revefsreleets
02-11-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm not one to knock their wins or attempt to taint them. That's no different than people biatching about our win over the Seahawks using the refs as an excuse for Hassleback throwing an int, the TE unable to catch, the MVP RB unable to get yards and their defense unable to stop Hines....

Attempt to taint them?

They tainted themselves. Do you really think they DIDN'T steal signals? Both via videotape and helmet transmissions? I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but there were WAY too many suspicious reports from plenty of reputable sources as well as all the evidence on the field for there not to be at least something to this.

It was a hot potato WAY too hot for the NFL to confront head-on. It was like the NBA ref/gambling thing. The implications are SO far reaching and nefarious it's best just to slap a few wrists, find and sacrifice a goat or two, and "Officer Barbrady it" with a good old "Nothing to see here, move along!".

The proof will be in the pudding. The Pats will most likely never win any title of significance again.

The Patriot
02-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Attempt to taint them?

They tainted themselves. Do you really think they DIDN'T steal signals? Both via videotape and helmet transmissions? I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but there were WAY too many suspicious reports from plenty of reputable sources as well as all the evidence on the field for there not to be at least something to this.

It was a hot potato WAY too hot for the NFL to confront head-on. It was like the NBA ref/gambling thing. The implications are SO far reaching and nefarious it's best just to slap a few wrists, find and sacrifice a goat or two, and "Officer Barbrady it" with a good old "Nothing to see here, move along!".

The proof will be in the pudding. The Pats will most likely never win any title of significance again.

We were filming other teams' sidelines with a handheld camera. Illegal, yes, interpret it as you will, but its hardly the criminal masterminded plan.

steelerbackr4life
02-11-2009, 08:56 PM
We were filming other teams' sidelines with a handheld camera. Illegal, yes, interpret it as you will, but its hardly the criminal masterminded plan.l

Please if something similar were to happen and any team from Boston were on the other end. The whiny, pity us we are victims media would be relentless with their cries for justice.

revefsreleets
02-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Reports of weird going-ons in re helmet radios too. It's not just one or two things, it's a preponderance of stuff.

Belicheat was a horrid coach in Cleveland then suddenly became the second coming of Vince Lombardi? Really? REALLY?

Granted, it's a ton of smoke, but there is definitely quite a bit of fire here, too...

As Dino said, it is what it is, and nobody will be revoking any titles, but I'm pretty glad it's not my team that won under those circumstances. And, again, the proof will be forthcoming. I expect the level-playing-field Pats to be much more 90's BB led Browns then 60's Packers (i.e. zero titles from here on out).

rbryan
02-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Patsie fans.....your team was exposed as cheating frauds. Never in the history of the NFL has a team been penalized for cheating like NE. In the court of public opinion you've been found guilty. Heres your *

Thats your legacy.....deal with it.

X-Terminator
02-12-2009, 12:03 PM
They have every reason to be proud in Pittsburgh. The Steelers are, after all, Super Bowl champions for the second time in four years.

There are residents who have begun to refer to the Steel City as “Sixburg,” because of the Steelers’ sextet of Super Bowl wins, moving them past the Cowboys and 49ers as all-time NFL leaders.

It's "SixburgH", you chowda' eating asstard.

Dino 6 Rings
02-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Look, accusations of cheating have gone on for decades. There are even fans who like to call the Steelers the Steelroids, or something like that.

Minnesoat vs NY Giants Playoffs, 2000 season, Dennis Green accused the Giants of stealing Radio Signals in the NFC Title game that the Giants won 41-0.

That's the same Vikings team that had Culpepper with nearly 4000 yards passing, Moss with 1400 yards receiving and Rob Smith with 1500 yards rushing.

Yet they couldn't score a single point against the Giants that year.

Take it for what it is. Just throwing it out there. Do we taint the Giants Super Bowl appearance because Denny Green lost his mind after that game?

Dino 6 Rings
02-12-2009, 12:45 PM
I was waiting to see if there was any proof of the Patriots video taping the Rams walk through before that game. However, if you ask Marshall Faulk, he'll tell you video tape had nothing to do with the Patriots win that year, it was all about the Patriots Holding and Tackling him in the backfield without the ball.

steelreserve
02-12-2009, 01:03 PM
As Dino said, it is what it is, and nobody will be revoking any titles, but I'm pretty glad it's not my team that won under those circumstances.

Hey, besides the blatant cheating, don't forget about the help they got from the bullshit "Tuck Rule." That's minus one legitimate Super Bowl win there too.

Dino 6 Rings
02-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Hey, besides the blatant cheating, don't forget about the help they got from the bullshit "Tuck Rule." That's minus one legitimate Super Bowl win there too.

That Tuck rule was pretty amazing wasn't it.

rbryan
02-12-2009, 01:17 PM
When the league steps in and penalizes any team for the circumstances you're referring to then yes, thier titles will have an asterick also.

The patsies were caught red handed and were punished by the league. Its not accusations or inuendos anymore. For Goodeals favorite team to be penalized at all shows they must have done something pretty bad. If not for the media hype the whole thing would have been swept under the rug.

revefsreleets
02-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Like I said, this was too hot for the NFL to handle. Just like the NBA refs. The tentacles reached to far for them to do anything that drastic, so they slapped a few wrists and a few heads rolled, but nothing super major occured. It's too embarassing for them to admit how bad this actually was...

Edman
02-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Look, accusations of cheating have gone on for decades. There are even fans who like to call the Steelers the Steelroids, or something like that.

Take it for what it is. Just throwing it out there. Do we taint the Giants Super Bowl appearance because Denny Green lost his mind after that game?

There is evidence that steroids were rampant throughout the league in the 70's. The Steelers, obviously the high-profile teams of that decade, is sure to catch the most attention for it. Oh yeah, and Steroids were legal and within the rules for that time.

Denny Green just threw out accusations. There is NO substantial evidence to support his claims. There have been no reports of the G-Men being underhanded.

There IS (or at least WAS) evidence supporting the argument for Spygate. The league confiscated the cameras and everything. The Patriots were CAUGHT cheating. Red handed. Fingerprinted. Cut and dry. There is nothing, absolutely NOTHING related between the incidents.

Preacher
02-12-2009, 04:24 PM

Sorry,

We actually have 2 football seasons left in this decade, and the SB is considered part of the previous season.

When you start counting, you start counting at 1, not 0. So the first decade goes from year 1 through year 10.

This decade goes from year 2001 through year 2010.

Thus, 2 seasons and their SB's. This team can put it all to rest and be the team of the decade by three-peating.

steelreserve
02-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Sorry,

We actually have 2 football seasons left in this decade, and the SB is considered part of the previous season.

When you start counting, you start counting at 1, not 0. So the first decade goes from year 1 through year 10.

This decade goes from year 2001 through year 2010.

Thus, 2 seasons and their SB's. This team can put it all to rest and be the team of the decade by three-peating.

I really don't see why people feel the need to break everything into 10-year compartments that start and end with a zero. By pure chance, that's mostly what the only three NFL "dynasties" so far fell into, but if we won two Super Bowls on either side of the 2010 mark, that wouldn't make us any less the dominant team of the decade. The Patriots could just go be the champions of their own little four-year period of horseshit and face the fact that we got mad and dickslapped their "dynasty."

Preacher
02-12-2009, 05:00 PM
I really don't see why people feel the need to break everything into 10-year compartments that start and end with a zero. By pure chance, that's mostly what the only three NFL "dynasties" so far fell into, but if we won two Super Bowls on either side of the 2010 mark, that wouldn't make us any less the dominant team of the decade. The Patriots could just go be the champions of their own little four-year period of horseshit and face the fact that we got mad and dickslapped their "dynasty."

Which brings up a bigger question . . . what is a dynasty?

I have to say, 4 SB's with the same core of players, which would mean about 7-9 years.

Thus, I think there is only two dynasties in the NFL SB era, the Steelers of the 70's and the 49'ers of the 80's.

You can call Dallas and the Pats* mini-dynasties... but I don't think they are true dynasties.

HometownGal
02-12-2009, 05:25 PM
The Patriots* are the FARCE of the decade.

rbryan
02-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Steroids/HGH.......now theres a can of worms no one at NFL headquarters wants to open up.

Its almost comical that they test for steroids at all. Anyone who gets caught now has to be the dumbest MF ever. Todays HGH can't be detected even if they decided to test for it.

Getting caught with steroids is like getting caught stealing 8 track tapes.

steelreserve
02-12-2009, 06:05 PM
I don't know if it's really just about winning Super Bowls, although you definitely have to do that to be considered. The Steelers in the 1970s had a good 10-year stretch when they were in serious contention to win it just about EVERY year. The 49ers had their Super Bowls a little more spread out, but there was a stretch of about 20 solid years where something had to happen that you would consider an upset if they didn't at least make the NFC championship game. It's debatable whether the Cowboys had a run that long, but you could argue that they were also in the same position for almost 10 years.

The other thing that the "real" dynasties had were rivals that were nearly as good over an extended period at the same time -- in fact, quite capable of winning the Super Bowl themselves -- but in the end the "dynasty" cleared any doubt about who was the best team. The original Steelers had the Raiders, Dolphins and to a lesser extent the Cowboys. The 49ers had the Bears and Giants. The Cowboys had the remnants of the 49ers dynasty (which was still good enough to win the one Super Bowl in 1994 and make it to the NFCCG several times) the Packers, and of course the Bills. Then there was kind of an amorphous gap for several years, and I guess now you have this kind of weird three-way thing with us, the Colts and the Patriots all being generally good but rising and falling out of sync with each other.

Heck, it's quite possible to have two "dynasty" teams at the same time, even in hte same conference like we had with the 49ers and Cowboys. Of course, they're not going to be at their peak at the same time. I wonder if that' where we are now, with us rising and the Patriots being stomped back into the dirt.

tony hipchest
02-12-2009, 10:55 PM
in this type of debate there is 1 thing that is the great equalizer that i havent seen mentioned- hall of famers.

the patriots will send-

bill belichick and tom brady

the steelers will send-

bill cowher, alan faneca, jerome bettis, troy polamalu, hines ward, ben roethlisberger.

(of course the patties will always try to claim randy moss but a player should actually win a sb with the team and be with them before actually being considered a part of their "dynasty".)

steelreserve
02-13-2009, 12:30 PM
in this type of debate there is 1 thing that is the great equalizer that i havent seen mentioned- hall of famers.

the patriots will send-

bill belichick and tom brady

the steelers will send-

bill cowher, alan faneca, jerome bettis, troy polamalu, hines ward, ben roethlisberger.

(of course the patties will always try to claim randy moss but a player should actually win a sb with the team and be with them before actually being considered a part of their "dynasty".)

Hey, we might get a couple more guys than that. Out of Harrison, Woodley, Hampton, Smith, Clark, Taylor and Farrior, I bet at least one of them does enough to get in. Especially if we win another Super Bowl. On offense it's not quite as loaded, but who knows if Miller or Holmes will play long enough and be good enough -- agian, especially if we win another Super Bowl.

The thing about our team is, we pretty much use the same core group of players, and we've got a lot of guys who are young and good, so it's too early to tell for a lot of them. The Patriots use a revolving door of mercenaries, which although it might be effective, is pretty uninspiring.