PDA

View Full Version : Holmes catch still has people fuming

mesaSteeler
02-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Holmes catch still has people fuming
February 9, 10:07 AM
by Matt Pawlikowski, Pittsburgh Sports Examiner
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m2d9-Holmes-catch-still-has-people-fuming

It's now been over a week since the Super Bowl ended in a record sixth Lombardi for the Steelers, yet there is still outrage over Santonio Holmes catch and the Cardinals loss.

First, National Sports Examiner Paula Duffy, well versed and one of the more insightful ladies of the airwaves with Sports Journey Radio, posts a great story about Holmes in which she has a slide show from the Arizona Republic where they claim it was not a catch.

Then today, the Phoenix, out of Phoenixville, Pa. ( Maybe they were sore the Eagles weren't in the Supe or just felt bad for the city with the same name) comes out and bashes not only the replay system for another incident in the game, but also Holmes for getting a trip to Disney.

C-mon people! Wake up. The Immaculate extension is a part of history now, and it indeed was a catch. I was there. Saw it with my own eyes in amazement and discussed it with fellow scribes and players alike. The consensus? It was indeed a catch.

Duffy makes a good point though. How is it that Michael Phelps touch of the wall for a record eighth medal in Beijing can be so perfect, yet the NFL way so flawed? According to Duffy, if the league wants things to be smooth a new system needs to be in place, such as the one used there, instead of the current one the league implements.

According the NFL, this is how the current replay system works.

First there is a "live" feed from the network television control truck covering the game.

How this works, is the technician in front of the live-feed monitor cues up the live play by pressing the "make play" button on his console as the ball is snapped. That automatically puts the play on a "touch-screen monitor" positioned in front of the replay assistant. When a replay comes up from the truck, the technician presses a "make replay" button and that automatically pops up on the touch-screen monitor. The monitor can accommodate six replay angles of a single play.

The replay assistant is positioned in front of the touch-screen monitor. This person decides which replays will be relayed to the field monitor for review by the referee after a coach's challenge is issued, and whether an officials time-out will be called for a play review in the final two minutes of each half and overtime.

The video operator at the instruction of the replay assistant, will tap the touch-screen monitor (similar to a bank's automatic teller machine that prompts commands by the tapping of its screen) to transfer one of the replays to the booth's third monitor that is positioned between him and the replay assistant. The video operator can control the speed of the playback on this monitor by the turn of a dial. This is the monitor on which the replay assistant will view all replays. The video on this monitor is what the referee on the field will see.

In 2008, the NFL upgraded for the first time since reinstating instant replay in 1999, making all replay booths high definition for better clarity and crisper images, which means , maybe it's not the replay, instead the officials. At the league meetings back in October, Commissioner Roger Goodell was asked how he felt officials were doing, and he had this to say;

"I am very proud of our officials. They do an extraordinary job under very difficult circumstances. Itís clear that officiating in any sport is imperfect and is going to involve mistakes. Our guys do a magnificent job officiating a very difficult game to officiate."

That was before the Gales of November came churning. Sure there was the Sept. 14 game where Ed Hochuli's terrible call in the Chargers/Broncos game handed the Horses a win. But an even worse scenario I can remember occurred on Nov 14 when the Steelers took on the Chargers. Troy Polamalu scores at the end, but the call is reversed on some bogus call giving the NFL its first 12-11 final tally.

It also infuriated gamblers everywhere as millions was lost on the game.

After that game NFL officials said the rule-making competition committee would be looking to make improvements to replay.

Which brings us back to Tampa. There was no conspiracy here. The refs are not Steeler fans, and the commish was in the audience, so you can bet the zebra's where doing their best. Sure there were some questionable calls, but we're in the press box or watching TV and not on the field. When it came to Holmes, they got things right. All bickering aside, it was a catch, plain and simple. Right Santonio?

"My feet never left the ground," he said afterward. " All I did was extend my arms and use my toes as extra extension to catch up to the ball."

So let it go people, the ruling on the field stands, and Steelers are Champs.

(]The Immaculate extension! I like it. - mesa)

SteelCurtain7
02-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Man...the babies are still crying...! This is so sad. :rolleyes:

SuzyPeppercorn
02-10-2009, 07:23 PM
ummmm..... the final score against the chargers was 11-10 not 12-11.

MasterOfPuppets
02-10-2009, 07:34 PM
just go look at any teams board......they're still whining, DESPITE, somepne posting pictures of his feet down.....they simply ignore the pics and contnue the boohoo session.

pghfrank1948
02-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Colin Cowherd is still fuming about SB XL and the officials giving the game to the Steelers. What a joke, People cant give the Black and Gold credit for winning and it gets old. six-pack super bowl rings = just plain envy from fans and teams who never will get there let alone win. Steelers have been a class act for 4 decades an ad the jealous losers are always going to find fault where there is none. So eat your hearts out losers and face facts.

HometownGal
02-10-2009, 07:40 PM
The haters need to get over it and their own self-pity. The Pittsburgh Steelers won that game fair and square on a phenomenal play and great focus by Santo, the Steelers are XLIII Champs and have a nice, shiny, brandie new trophy to put in their case. Deal with it lahooooosers. :jerkit:

NJarhead
02-10-2009, 07:42 PM
:yawn:

lilyoder6
02-10-2009, 07:48 PM
there are a gazillion pictures of holmes having his feet down... how can u dispute that?

fansince'76
02-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Fair enough. Take away the bullshit TD that Fitz never controlled which also hit the ground (on 3rd down) and give the Cards a FG instead. Give us a FG instead of Holmes' TD. 23-19 Steelers. We still win. :coffee:

SteelerTim
02-10-2009, 07:50 PM
It will go down as one of the greatest catches in SB history. Period!!

Milkman
02-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Doesn't surprise me how much hate we get.
It all boils down to jealousy.

Morgan
02-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Why isn't anyone talking about Larry Fitzgerald's first "td" that was actually incomplete? he STILL doesn't have control of that ball.... it hit the ground. Watch the replay. If the Cards had been pushed back every time Harrison was held, they'd be playing from the bay. Everyone whines about Santonio's celebration which should have been a penalty, but nobody noticed Kurt Warner take his helmet off... TWICE? Give me a freaking break. The Cards LOST. The Steelers WON.

jev7452
02-10-2009, 10:43 PM
seriously its all one-sided arguements.. the steelers had plenty of hurtful calls against them as well but not many people seem to want to bring those up... jealousy/envy are terrible things in the world of sports people

jjpro11
02-11-2009, 12:05 AM
cardinals fans have become the new seahawks fans.. and i have lost all respect for them and hope their team does terrible from now to eternity.

NEPAsteeler
02-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Who cares what other people say. I have a feeling the Cards are going to fade into obscurity after appearing in the Super Bowl just like the Seahawks did after they faced us.

How many rings does YOUR team have? Yeah. That's what I thought. Shut the hell up.

X-Terminator
02-11-2009, 12:32 AM
There are a bunch of pictures from every angle you can think of that shows that Santo's toes were down when he had control of the ball. It was clearly a catch, and the only ones still whining about it are either Cards fans or jealous fans from other teams because they only dream of the success that the Steelers have had. Now I know how Yankees and Canadiens fans must feel.

The Steelers won the game fair and square. There was no conspiracy. The referees didn't give the Steelers a mother fathin' thing.

Galax Steeler
02-11-2009, 04:45 AM
It is time for them cry babys to get over it and move on to next year. It kind of reminds of the seahags a whining in superbowl 40 get over it and move on to next year.

OX1947
02-11-2009, 05:14 AM
Man, all I know is, in about 2 months, I am going to have a wallpaper of 6 championship rings on it. And they're ain't a damn person that can change it. HELL YEE!

SteelCurtain7
02-11-2009, 05:30 AM
cardinals fans have become the new seahawks fans.. and i have lost all respect for them and hope their team does terrible from now to eternity.

Agreed.

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2009, 08:16 AM
We would beat the Cards again if we played, I don't doubt it. Warner knows he fumbled the ball, Fitz knows he got away with a non-catch, their running game knows they are not up to the challenge, their Defense knows they can't stop us when it matters most, they know they can't stop Ben, they know Hines wasn't 100% and we still beat them fair and square.

They want a rematch? Fine, Get there again next season, We'll be waiting Mother Effers!

kittenfantastico76
02-11-2009, 08:26 AM
Are they STILL on this... :doh: Let it go, accept the fact that the better team won! :tt02:

SteelMember
02-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Um, Yeaaaah. :coffee:

and those TPS reports are using a new cover sheet.
Didn't you get the memo?

SCSTILLER
02-11-2009, 08:52 AM
there are a gazillion pictures of holmes having his feet down... how can u dispute that?

Just the same way that they disputed Ben's TD in Super Bowl 40. For a complete off season everyone was saying he wasn't in, but the still photo clearly showed the ball over the goal line. Let them whine, and as HTG said, we will all drool over our shiny new trophy while they bitch and moan!

Milkman
02-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Um, Yeaaaah. :coffee:

and those TPS reports are using a new cover sheet.
Didn't you get the memo?

:rofl:
I love me some Office Space!

Jackal
02-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm not surprised that the article cited here was from an Examiner writer. The Examiner is about as reputable of a journalistic entity as the The National Enquirer. If you're really looking to get your blood boiling, go to The Baltimore Examiner's site and read any of Steve DeClue's articles about the Steelers. With 3rd-rate jokers like these on their staff, it's no wonder The Examiner is going belly-up.

BlastFurnace
02-11-2009, 10:31 AM

I don't think any fan base has ever reached the "sorriness" that Seahawk fans reached and still reach. The Cardinals fan base, IMO, has been pretty tame compared to them.

Atleast Whiz shook Tomlin's hand...unlike that fat pig in Seattle.

BTW, I loved the sour puss face he had on at halftime and after the game.

You know who is really pissing me off is Al Michaels. That guy brings up that game more often than not.

CPanther95
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
How is it that Michael Phelps touch of the wall for a record eighth medal in Beijing can be so perfect, yet the NFL way so flawed?

Maybe because a swimmers touchpad is 26 sf. and an NFL endzone is 4800 sf.

fansince'76
02-11-2009, 12:02 PM
I don't think any fan base has ever reached the "sorriness" that Seahawk fans reached and still reach. The Cardinals fan base, IMO, has been pretty tame compared to them.

How much noise can 500 people really make? Chances are it isn't the true Cards fans doing all the squawking anyway.

lardlad
02-11-2009, 12:51 PM
All you have to do is watch his shoe laces. After he catches the ball they BOTH jerk straight down. You know his feet hit the grass.

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Really all you have to do is look at the reaction of the 3 Cardinals that were there on the play. Not one of them makes any effort to get in the refs face and do the "incomplete" arm swing thing that DBs always do when they are beat. They knew it was a catch. Same way Warner knew he fumbled that last ball.

They knew in their heart of hearts, they weren't going to win that game, they couldn't win that game and the BETTER Team Won.

memphissteelergirl
02-11-2009, 01:09 PM
How many rings does YOUR team have? Yeah. That's what I thought. Shut the hell up.

LOL...new sig! :thumbsup:
Thanks NEPAsteeler! :chuckle::wink02:

scsteeler
02-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Why isn't anyone talking about Larry Fitzgerald's first "td" that was actually incomplete? he STILL doesn't have control of that ball.... it hit the ground. Watch the replay. If the Cards had been pushed back every time Harrison was held, they'd be playing from the bay. Everyone whines about Santonio's celebration which should have been a penalty, but nobody noticed Kurt Warner take his helmet off... TWICE? Give me a freaking break. The Cards LOST. The Steelers WON.

The Truth shall set you free and those words ring of Freedom. We won and that is the end of it. Whine, Whine, and more Whine. The Cards will be like the Seahawks talking for years about what could have been. It must be a Bird thing.