PDA

View Full Version : After review, NFL officials got it right

mesaSteeler
02-10-2009, 07:44 PM
After review, NFL officials got it right
http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090210/SPORTS0506/302109940/-1/SPORTS05
Published: February 10. 2009 12:01AM

Anger, resentment and calls of fraud seem to follow the Steelers after every Super Bowl championship these days.

You could add sour grapes and lunacy to the list, too.

Linebacker James Harrison seems to be the target of many for his late hit in the second half on a poor, defenseless and helpless Cardinals player who got picked on by mean Mr. Harrison.

Just about everyone wanted to see Harrison thrown out of the game for allegedly throwing a punch.

For the sake of argument -- and space -- I'll grant the Steelers haters this point and reserve the right to debate it later.

What exactly would have changed if Harrison had been thrown out?

The next time the Cardinals' offense took the field they scored a touchdown with Harrison on it.

But let's look back at when Harrison was penalized.

The foul took place with about 3 minutes left in the game. Would his ejection have overturned his 100-yard interception return for a touchdown, the greatest play in Super Bowl history?

I doubt it. Although these same people -- the ones who think he never scored on the play -- probably demand it. Consider it changing the rules on the fly for the sake of an argument.

It's the same philosophy that drives those frothy-mad-at-the-mouth fans who want to grant a Cardinals touchdown at the end of the game because Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes should have been penalized for celebrating his game-winning touchdown.

Apparently those extra 15 yards would have put the Cardinals in the end zone before time expired. Except the game ended with a fumble that the Steelers recovered.

Newfound Cardinals fans wanted -- hoped for, perhaps? -- the play to be overturned. It didn't happen and conspiracy theories kicked into overdrive when they thought the play never was reviewed.

Never mind that the announcers confirmed the play was reviewed, as did the NFL after the game.

You see, you need that fringe audience to buy into the conspiracy stuff.

It's the only way they can cope with Steelers domination.:tt03::tt:

- I'm all for global warming. Anything that can make Erie a little warmer during the winter is good in my book.

Just the other day I found another reason to root for rising temperatures. John Dudley has vowed to do 100 jumping jacks on the Erie SeaWolves dugout if the thermometer hits 50 degrees or warmer on opening day.

Join me in the next two months in the Jumpin' John Drive by spewing all the chlorofluorocarbons into the atmosphere to make this moment in April happen.

RICK GREEN can be reached at 870-1891 or by e-mail at rick.green@timesnews.com.

Hapa
02-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Yay! The Cardinals are my doggy!

SteelCityKing
02-10-2009, 07:59 PM
the NFL like to go about reviewing everything after the fact...but for some reason, it doesn;t ever change the fact the we won the darn game!!! why can't people just let it go!? REALLY!?

Benzbrother
02-10-2009, 08:02 PM
I'm just really sick of everybody we beat playing the ref card. I mean really, I would like to think that if we had lost the game we wouldn't have spent the last 2 weeks bitching about every call the refs made, whether warranted or not

steelpride12
02-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Until next season begins no matter what is said we have not heard the last of the whining and crying about how the refs won the Steelers the game.

steelfanman
02-10-2009, 08:44 PM
You think having to read an article or two about the Super Bowl conspiracy theories is bad for you, at least you don't have to live and breath it here everyday like I do.

Please allow me quote the latest in a parade of idiots that I have to deal with every single day here (a letter to the sports editor in todays Republic):

"The only reasons and Cardinals didn't win were because of one mistake by Kurt Warner and three pathetically bad calls by the weakest officiating crew in the history of the Super Bowl"

I overheard a guy at Home Depot last weekend saying: "In my mind, the Cardinals still won the game."

When this is the kind of idiocy we have to deal with every day, no wonder I'm rubbing the win in so much!

Godfather
02-10-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm just really sick of everybody we beat playing the ref card. I mean really, I would like to think that if we had lost the game we wouldn't have spent the last 2 weeks bitching about every call the refs made, whether warranted or not

We've been shafted by the zebras on several occasions...the AFCCG this year, the playoff game against the Colts in 2005, the AFCCG against the Pats* in 2001. DIfference is we sacked up and overcame the bad officiating in two of those games. And after the 2001 game we blamed ourselves (special teams play and two interceptions in the last five minutes) because that's what winners do.

steelerbackr4life
02-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Who cares? let them whine. Last I checked there was no Ref that scored a point in any game. When all is said and done one thing remains.
We are the only NFL fan base that can buy items reading the following:
6 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS :wink02:

tyler289
02-10-2009, 09:05 PM
The Steelers didn't win the Super Bowl. In fact, the refs not only WON the Sb for the Steelers, they are the reason we beat the Ravens three times, beat the Chargers twice, beat the Cowbys, and beat the Pats.

The refs gave us first downs and touchdowns, turnovers and tackles.

The complainers and conspiracy theorists can bite me.

wootawnee
02-10-2009, 09:22 PM
What people do not know is that dude puched James in the huhu before the camera panned in on him...........................

HometownGal
02-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Let the jealous haters hate and wallow in their misery. We've got to get busy and focus on that Stairway to Seven. :tt03::tt:

lardlad
02-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Next big game that is close you'll hear the same thing.

AllD
02-11-2009, 04:12 PM
...and if Jackie Smith caught that ball.. But since he didn't and since the Steelers executed on the final drive, we won.

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm so happy Mike Tomlin has already moved on and is busy watching game file of our future draft picks...cause you know he is...you know he's got the film of our potential first and 2nd rounder and he's breaking it down right now...

That's why we are going to be in the Playoffs again next year...cause of our focus and our dedication to the next drive and the next play.

Keep talking about what happened last week and you're going to go the way of Seattle...way to bounce back after a SB Loss...

jjpro11
02-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Get used to it guys... we have entered the same category as teams like the yankees, lakers, and lately those dirty patriots... We are no longer that loveable team trying to get 1 for the thumb for 20 years.. we are now the most successful team in the entire nfl.

LVSteelersfan
02-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Please don't say Steeler fans wouldn't be moaning about the refs if we lost. Were you people on these boards last year when we lost because of the lack of a holding call at the end of the game? That is all I heard for the past year. Personally, I just live with bad calls and let it go these days instead of dwelling on it. We lost last year because we lost, not because of the refs. We lost because Ben sucked in the first half. End of story. We would have won that game going away if not for three stupid INTS in the first half. Not bashing on Ben because I love him. But that is the truth of the matter.

jev7452
02-12-2009, 12:50 AM
The Steelers didn't win the Super Bowl. In fact, the refs not only WON the Sb for the Steelers, they are the reason we beat the Ravens three times, beat the Chargers twice, beat the Cowbys, and beat the Pats.

The refs gave us first downs and touchdowns, turnovers and tackles.

The complainers and conspiracy theorists can bite me.

dont forget those interceptions and forced fumbles that they practice in rehearsal!! of course the refs have everything to do with all of those too..

also gotta throw some love out to ERIE!! thats my hometown :) been about 5 years though but i do miss it!

jjpro11
02-12-2009, 01:12 AM
Please don't say Steeler fans wouldn't be moaning about the refs if we lost. Were you people on these boards last year when we lost because of the lack of a holding call at the end of the game? That is all I heard for the past year. Personally, I just live with bad calls and let it go these days instead of dwelling on it. We lost last year because we lost, not because of the refs. We lost because Ben sucked in the first half. End of story. We would have won that game going away if not for three stupid INTS in the first half. Not bashing on Ben because I love him. But that is the truth of the matter.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=22822

thats the main thread regarding the jags hold on harrison last season. when reading through the posts, you will see that the majority are vents and acknowledgments that we had a chance and blew the game ourselves.. 'it lasted a whopping 9 days.. i know this forum doesnt speak for the entire steelers fan base across the world, but it does give a pretty good idea of the views of the steelers fan base.

these cardinals fans are acting delirious and pathetic. the cardinals and seahawks are perennial losers who have never won a thing.. they came so close, yet fell short. their fans dont know how to deal with a loss like that knowing they probably will never come that close again in their lifetime. to them i say, too f*cking bad.. if you cant accept losing in a rational way, then you should probably stop following sports all together for your own good.

ricksteelers55
02-12-2009, 04:24 AM
Winners blame themselves after a loss
Losers blame everything but themselves

Steelcitygal87
02-12-2009, 06:25 AM

:drink:

steelballs
02-12-2009, 07:11 AM

Very wise words.
Kind of sounds like a credo the ratbirds need to embrace as they are NEVER responsible for their own demise on the gridiron.

Steelcitygal87
02-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Very wise words.
Kind of sounds like a credo the ratbirds need to embrace as they are NEVER responsible for their own demise on the gridiron.

Really? I have heard quite a few of them give credit to the other team after a loss. Ed Reed and Joe Flacco( very complimentary toward the Steeler's defense), come to mind especially.

Morgan
02-12-2009, 08:25 AM
I believe they're referring to the fans. I could be wrong...I've been wrong before.

steelballs
02-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Really? I have heard quite a few of them give credit to the other team after a loss. Ed Reed and Joe Flacco( very complimentary toward the Steeler's defense), come to mind especially.

Having lived in the land of the rats since migrating from the burg' in the early 80's, I have more exposure to the local media reports / team reports / interviews than most here and have probably been biased because of it.
Every now and then you'll hear a sound bite giving credit to an adversary, but overall, the excuses for losses far outweigh the ability to take ownership for their own demise.
Under Harbaugh this seems to be changing, but I still saw evidence of the old guard this past season.
I should include their fans in this as well as they are probably the most guilty of this tradition of being poor losers.
I do recall your reference to Flacco and Reed giving credit, but for the most part, the excuses given after losses aren't internal.

Steelcitygal87
02-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Having lived in the land of the rats since migrating from the burg' in the early 80's, I have more exposure to the local media reports / team reports / interviews than most here and have probably been biased because of it.
Every now and then you'll hear a sound bite giving credit to an adversary, but overall, the excuses for losses far outweigh the ability to take ownership for their own demise.
Under Harbaugh this seems to be changing, but I still saw evidence of the old guard this past season.
I should include their fans in this as well as they are probably the most guilty of this tradition of being poor losers.
I do recall your reference to Flacco and Reed giving credit, but for the most part, the excuses given after losses aren't internal.

Oh okay, I was going by the "NEVER" in your post........ and Ed Reed and Flacco just popped into my head so that was why I replied the way I did.

Yeah, that is true. Their usual post-game talk is something along the lines of.... 'how close a game it actually was(even though the stats would prove otherwise), we beat ourselves, just wait till we play them on our turf...etc'..Ray Lewis EXCELS at giving those types of responses after a loss.

The thing that really frustrates me to no end is....I could really like the RATS(their style of play is similar to Pitt and they had the #2 rated defense in the NFL), if they didn't have so many players who like to shoot their mouths off all the time. All that bounty talk and beating of their own chests.....I can't stand. They have such talented players they don't need to resort to that kind of thing. If the thug talk was eliminated they would be a likable team. Hopefully Harbaugh can change their mentality in that area.

steelballs
02-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Oh okay, I was going by the "NEVER" in your post........ and Ed Reed and Flacco just popped into my head so that was why I replied the way I did.

Yeah, that is true. Their usual post-game talk is something along the lines of.... 'how close a game it actually was(even though the stats would prove otherwise), we beat ourselves, just wait till we play them on our turf...etc'..Ray Lewis EXCELS at giving those types of responses after a loss.

The thing that really frustrates me to no end is....I could really like the RATS(their style of play is similar to Pitt and they had the #2 rated defense in the NFL), if they didn't have so many players who like to shoot their mouths off all the time. All that bounty talk and beating of their own chests.....I can't stand. They have such talented players they don't need to resort to that kind of thing. If the thug talk was eliminated they would be a likable team. Hopefully Harbaugh can change their mentality in that area.

While I can't agree that I could actually like the rats if they didn't have so many players who shoot their mouths off.... I agree that the two teams are very similar in the way they play the game and I do enjoy their annual tilts each year.

Harbaugh seems to be having a positive effect on these cretons, but they have a long way to go. I agree that the level of talent on their team would make one think that they'd be above such elementary antics, but change takes time and maybe personnel changes are ultimately what will reverse the trend.

When my neighbors (rat season ticket holders) ask me why do I still have such a strong allegiance to the Steelers after residing in Baltimore for over 25 years, I explain that growing up in Pittsburgh.... once a Steeler fan...always a Steeler fan, it's just the way it is. I offer my condolences that their team resides in OUR division and that the road to success will MORE OFTEN THAN NOT go through Pittsburgh. (This really jags them off). Truth hurts.

Steelcitygal87
02-12-2009, 10:29 AM
While I can't agree that I could actually like the rats if they didn't have so many players who shoot their mouths off.... I agree that the two teams are very similar in the way they play the game and I do enjoy their annual tilts each year.

Harbaugh seems to be having a positive effect on these cretons, but they have a long way to go. I agree that the level of talent on their team would make one think that they'd be above such elementary antics, but change takes time and maybe personnel changes are ultimately what will reverse the trend.

When my neighbors (rat season ticket holders) ask me why do I still have such a strong allegiance to the Steelers after residing in Baltimore for over 25 years, I explain that growing up in Pittsburgh.... once a Steeler fan...always a Steeler fan, it's just the way it is. I offer my condolences that their team resides in OUR division and that the road to success will MORE OFTEN THAN NOT go through Pittsburgh. (This really jags them off). Truth hurts.

AMEN!! Pittsburgh, while every season finds itself in tough battles with the RATS, always seems to have the EDGE...that competitive, physical, mental edge. We know what it takes to succeed! :tt03: With the addition of Joe Flacco and Lewis possibly leaving..along with a few others...it will be interesting to see just how challenging our meetings will be in the future.

Maybe "like" was a bad way of putting it lol. Would you go with...'have more respect for?" that team if the situation, in regards to the players attitudes, was not as it is now? Harbaugh certainly has his work cut out for him.

revefsreleets
02-12-2009, 10:52 AM

That's not necessarily true. I expect you are talking about the Jacksonville game. Yeah, that was a shitty non-call, and pretty suspicious if you ask me since it happened right out in the open for all to see, BUT the prevailing attitude I remember is people pretty much felt like we should have never been in a position where one missed call could cost us the game.

steelballs
02-12-2009, 11:06 AM
AMEN!! Pittsburgh, while every season finds itself in tough battles with the RATS, always seems to have the EDGE...that competitive, physical, mental edge. We know what it takes to succeed! :tt03: With the addition of Joe Flacco and Lewis possibly leaving..along with a few others...it will be interesting to see just how challenging our meetings will be in the future.

Maybe "like" was a bad way of putting it lol. Would you go with...'have more respect for?" that team if the situation, in regards to the players attitudes, was not as it is now? Harbaugh certainly has his work cut out for him.

OK...I'll give you "have more respect" for them...damn that hurt!!
Nice chatting with you.

Steelcitygal87
02-12-2009, 11:08 AM
OK...I'll give you "have more respect" for them...damn that hurt!!
Nice chatting with you.

LOL. Nice chatting with you as well.

fansince'76
02-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Please don't say Steeler fans wouldn't be moaning about the refs if we lost. Were you people on these boards last year when we lost because of the lack of a holding call at the end of the game? That is all I heard for the past year.

Funny, the vast majority of complaining I saw for months here after that game was over "3rd-and-6," not that no-call for holding.

Morgan
02-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Simply stated, you can't make blanket statements. There are PLENT Of AZ and Seattle fans that are not, and have never bitched about those Super Bowl losses. There are plenty of Steeler fans who WOULD whine if we'd have lost. Not possible to generalize.

Steelerman67
02-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Simply stated, you can't make blanket statements. There are PLENT Of AZ and Seattle fans that are not, and have never bitched about those Super Bowl losses. There are plenty of Steeler fans who WOULD whine if we'd have lost. Not possible to generalize.
Well, if we'd have lost the game I'd say 90 percent would blame the blown cover 2 on Fitz on that 64 yard TD. We all know each team has to deal with some either questionable or missed calls, why? Because 1)Speed of the game, imagine having ONE chance to get the call right in a few seconds. For the most part the refs do a decent job. 2) Human error, it will never be eliminated, so the team that can overcome them ultimately will win the game.

What's comical to me is that over on the Arizona boards they still have some fans crying like the refs gave us the game. It goes to show how being a fan can so change how you view things. To say things like 'the penalties hurt us on our drives'. Huh? Thems the rules, if you hold and get caught you have to deal with it. Jesh, I mean honestly, you could have called holding on Gandy every play and they would have gotten it right just about every time.

Ooh well, can't make everyone happy, but I guess I'm pretty happy. 6 and counting baby!
:tt03:

Morgan
02-13-2009, 08:03 AM
I don't disagree, man, I'm just saying, SOME people bitch, SOME people take it honorably. You can argue percentages all you want, but it's anecdotal at best.