PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben made up cracked ribs/MRI story

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 07:00 PM
...because espn says so. :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3894263

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers have no knowledge that Ben Roethlisberger played the Super Bowl with two broken ribs, [nobody did until the mri- TH] :coffee: as the quarterback told a Web site.

According to SI.com, Roethlisberger said his fractured ribs did not show up on X-rays taken before he led the Steelers to a 27-23 win over Arizona on Feb. 1, but were revealed only during an MRI test he had last week.

"Luckily, in the game, I didn't take any big hits to make 'em hurt," Roethlisberger told SI.com. "But I knew all along there was something wrong. There wouldn't have been anything that could have been done about fractured ribs anyway. It was just suck it up and play."

Roethlisberger did not miss any practices before the Super Bowl, although a pool report from the Wednesday practice said he attempted during the middle of the workout to stretch his torso. He missed one practice during the off week before the Super Bowl because of what the team said was a back injury.

"There's not a whole lot to say," Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said Monday. "Ben was fine to go. He was cleared to play. He didn't miss any [practice] time. There was no doubt he was going to play."

The NFL, in an e-mail to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, said the Steelers did not violate the league's injury reporting policy in the lead-up to the Super Bowl.

"Ben's injury was disclosed in the required injury report the week prior to the team going to Tampa for the Super Bowl," league spokesman Greg Aiello said in an e-mail, the newspaper reported. "He was listed throughout that week with a back injury."

In the e-mail, Aiello noted that during Super Bowl week, pool reporter Peter King of Sports Illustrated reported that Roethlisberger took full part in practice and "looked sharp."

"There was no doubt as to Ben's availability. Then, of course, he played the entire game," Aiello said, according to the report.

The Steelers said it would have been difficult for Roethlisberger to play any better than he did in leading the decisive 78-yard drive that ended with a precisely thrown 6-yard touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes with 35 seconds remaining.

Several plays before, Roethlisberger -- leading his sixth game-winning drive of the season -- hit Holmes on a 40-yard completion.

Roethlisberger did not mention any possible injury during postgame interviews. :noidea:

It is uncertain if the validity of Roethlisberger's claim will be proved. :wtf:

NFL teams do not routinely require players to undergo MRIs or other medical tests during the offseason, [unless they have a lingering injury-TH] and Roethlisberger isn't due back in Pittsburgh until offseason workouts begin in April. By then, any problem that occurred before or during the Super Bowl might not show up in tests.

Roethlisberger has previously exaggerated or misstated injuries he supposedly suffered during his five-season career. [in other words, his motorcycle accident was staged like the lunar moon landing and not only does he still have an appendix, he has 2- TH]

The day after the January 2005 AFC Championship Game, Roethlisberger said he broke two toes during the 41-27 loss to New England. Coach Bill Cowher emphatically denied that, saying the quarterback merely aggravated a toe injury from college. Roethlisberger never brought up the issue again.

Roethlisberger also said during training camp in 2006 that he played the Steelers' Super Bowl-winning season of 2005 with a broken thumb. Roethlisberger missed no playing time after supposedly being hurt on Nov. 28, 2005, in Indianapolis, and the team never revealed any such injury.

After Cowher resigned following the 2006 season, Roethlisberger acknowledged he and the coach didn't always get along -- in part, apparently, because Cowher felt the quarterback exaggerated the extent of injuries. :huh:

It also was reported that Roethlisberger sustained a spinal cord concussion against Cleveland on Dec. 28, but the team said only that he had a concussion.

"Ben's health is often the subject of inaccurate reports," coach Mike Tomlin said before the Super Bowl. "He's fine."

when is a concussion NOT a concussion?

everybody knew bens thumb was jacked up in 05. and everyone knew thats why he was wearing the bionic glove with the brace.

what a hack. patfans sould not be allowed to be "journalists/columnists".

SteelCityKing
02-10-2009, 07:17 PM
so what? i lied about having herpes because i wasn't having a flare up! HA! kidding! =)

SteelCityMom
02-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Agree with you completely. The story that started all of this (the toes) was probably blown out of proportion too, and was probably just a case of a rookie not knowing when not to talk to the media. The media will twist anything that players say and work it to fit their needs. I take any story about a sports figure or actor/actress with a grain of salt. You can't always believe what somebody prints up in a paper.

MACH1
02-10-2009, 07:37 PM
What about his 140* fever they reported about. :chuckle:

stillers4me
02-10-2009, 08:20 PM
I really hope Ben wears his ring on his middle finger.

HometownGal
02-10-2009, 08:26 PM
:jerkit: :upyours: ESPN.

Really - what purpose would it serve for Ben to make up or exaggerate his injuries? :doh: He's more than proven himself to be a top tier QB in the NFL in only his 5th season and has 2 SB rings in that time span.

If ESPN can't find a legitimate story out there to report, they'll make up their own. Jagoffs.

hindes204
02-10-2009, 08:32 PM
ESPN pisses me off more and more these days...although, i still listen to Jim Rome religiously

Milkman
02-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah, it's kinda like how they talk about Brady being on the injured list every week for about 2 years...like he's really got a bum shoulder.

SHEESH! :blah:

iloveben7
02-10-2009, 09:02 PM
arghhh I hate all this stuff about Ben being a drama queen and making up injuries.

If any of those idiots actually saw that hit, then they would know that Ben fractured 2 of his ribs. I was at that game and I was freaking out because that hit was nasty and then I saw Ben get up slowly and he was having trouble breathing and then Leftwich was warming up. But Ben came back in and toughed it out like he ALWAYS does.

The Duke
02-10-2009, 09:20 PM
ESPN, just go invent some stories about the cowboys. Stay away from the steelers!!!!

joeyssteelcurtain
02-10-2009, 09:26 PM
What is the deal with the media hateing on ben he does nothing but win and he is a good guy. Come on he fakes injury let it go people

jev7452
02-10-2009, 09:26 PM
they say he didnt miss any playing time likes it a bad thing???! i know its rare that a QB doesnt act like an overgrown child when he gets a "boo-boo" but just because he toughs it up and plays the game he loves, he must be exaggerating.. makes perfect sense.. right

lilyoder6
02-10-2009, 09:37 PM
if ben would of had a broken pinkie finger.. espn would be all over it and treating him like a king

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2009, 09:46 PM
they say he didnt miss any playing time likes it a bad thing???! i know its rare that a QB doesnt act like an overgrown child when he gets a "boo-boo" but just because he toughs it up and plays the game he loves, he must be exaggerating.. makes perfect sense.. right

People probably said the same thing about Crosby in 2007.

Players toughen up and play through injures. What's the big deal unless it's a life threatening one??? :coffee:

Steelers & I
02-10-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm not hating on Ben, I love the guy to death but I believe the story to be 100% ACCURATE!

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm not hating on Ben, I love the guy to death but I believe the story to be 100% ACCURATE!:laughing:

Steelers & I
02-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Laugh all that you want to laugh TONY! I completely agree with the article. You know, statements from Bill Cowher carry a lot more weight to me than YOUR opinion.

Check the story linked below and then imagine how the writers take on Roethlisberger would change if he KNEW that the "spinal cord concussion injury" was BOGUS as well.

http://www.cbssports.com/columns/story/11259642

Drama queen? No, Big Ben is royally tough
Jan. 14, 2009
By Mike Freeman
CBSSports.com National Columnist
Tell Mike your opinion!

Early in the season a player in the AFC told me he thought Ben Roethlisberger was a drama queen.

Then, later in the season, Monday Night Football's Tony Kornheiser said during a broadcast he was told that some in the Pittsburgh media believed Roethlisberger was a drama queen. That was followed by Matt Hasselbeck's exchange during a visit to a middle school in the Seattle area. He jokingly called Roethlisberger a girl.

Ben Roethlisberger suffered a spinal cord concussion vs. Cleveland, but he's still going strong. (Getty Images)
But you got the feeling he really wasn't joking.
Recently former receiver Keyshawn Johnson said Roethlisberger was a "bit of a drama queen." And Key knows drama queens.

All this evidence in hand, I was prepared to bury Roethlisberger as a preening debutante, the Susan Lucci of football.

Then I came to my senses and am posing this question:

Why do so many people outside of Steelersville seem to hate Roethlisberger so much?

He might be one of the more disliked players in football and much of the venom is coming from other players (or former players).

Players almost always defend other players, particularly when it comes to the notion of toughness. I'm not sure if some realize how big a deal it is for a player to basically call another one the "P" word.

Indeed, I was prepared to bury Roethlisberger. Then came news from a Pittsburgh newspaper about the injury Roethlisberger suffered in the regular season finale. When he was hit by two Cleveland defenders simultaneously, Roethlisberger suffered a spinal cord concussion.

The diagnosis sounded familiar. I've covered players who suffered from those injuries before and they've told me it's extremely frightening and dangerous. One mentioned he lost the sensation in his extremities for hours.

As the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote, players who've had this injury in the past have been severely debilitated. In 2002 former Pittsburgh quarterback Tommy Maddox also had a spinal cord concussion and he temporarily lost all feeling in his hands and legs and missed two games.

In September, Baltimore safety Dawan Landry suffered the same injury as Roethlisberger. He was put on injured reserve and missed the season.

Roethlisberger had the injury and came back strong, yet he's called a drama queen.

The injury Roethlisberger sustained is a big deal and the notion that he's dramatic is growing a tad nonsensical and tiresome. "Ben's a damn tough guy," defensive end Brett Keisel told the Post-Gazette. "He's one of the biggest competitors in this locker room. Anytime anyone goes down and someone's poking their fingers and they can't feel it, that's scary. Anytime you get numbness and things like that you have to take every precaution ..."

Here's an interesting stat: Roethlisberger has been sacked a startling 139 times over three regular seasons, which is almost three sacks a game. While some of that is Roethlisberger's fault because he holds on to the football for extended seconds, he's still missed just two starts in some three seasons, with one coming in a meaningless season finale and the other a season opener following an appendectomy. So, in effect, he's really only missed one start.

Your Turn: Reader Rip
PHILLY FLY BOY: This kid has physical toughness. His line has broken down on him more than your 1986 Ford pickup, but mental toughness? Not as much.

Ben Roethlisberger makes too many rookie mistakes. He rarely throws multiple touchdowns in a game, and his passing yards are always low. This is because his own team does not trust him to throw the ball 30-40 times a game.

He will go down as the youngest person to win a super bowl, but other than that he is a rookie quarterback with an amazing defense... same as Flacco. Should be a good game
Writer Retort
Mike Freeman: He makes mistakes because he's still young. They don't throw the ball 40 times a game because they're the Steelers. The Steelers mostly don't play that kind of football. Big Ben is just fine mentally. The only thing he needs to do is stay away from motorcycles.
Click here for more Community reaction

There are a lot of quarterbacks who'd sign up for that sort of queen-ness.

In fact Carson Palmer should call Roethlisberger "Your Majesty."

Yet his drama queen reputation isn't solely the fault of media members or players. Part of the blame falls on the Steelers themselves. The reputation actually began when former coach Bill Cowher contradicted Roethlisberger's statement that he had broken toes after losing to New England in the AFC title game during Roethlisberger's rookie year.

The fact he really isn't a drama queen doesn't mean Roethlisberger is easy to like. He's profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltery and arrogant. He's Captain Smirk. Roethlisberger is always the first one in the locker room to tell the media, "I told you so."

His occasional obnoxiousness, and lack of motorcycle expertise aside, Roethlisberger is the AFC equivalent of Donovan McNabb. We might not appreciate how good he is until his career is long over.

Roethlisberger is tied with Tom Brady for the most victories by a starting quarterback in his first five seasons with 57. He's on the verge of a second Super Bowl appearance. That's not too shabby.

He's a bigger version of Terry Bradshaw, except you don't have to spot him the "C" and the "A."

And you don't have to spot him the 'D' and the 'R' for drama, either.

iloveben7
02-10-2009, 10:42 PM
there's no way in heck Ben's a drama queen, hypochondriac, or arrogant

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 10:46 PM
:laughing:

one doesnt become partially paralyzed and numb from a simple concussion.

and if matt hasselbeck and keyshawn johnson is the source and basis of this article is there really much reason to continue reading?

anyways, you keep trusting cowher, and i will continue trusting my eyes and MRI results. :cheers:

iloveben7
02-10-2009, 10:51 PM
do you really think Ben was pretending that he couldn't feel his fingers after the concussion??

Steelers & I
02-10-2009, 10:53 PM

one doesnt become partially paralyzed and numb from a simple concussion.

and if matt hasselbeck and keyshawn johnson is the source and basis of this article is there really much reason to continue reading?

I don't care for those clowns either but I've heard BOTH Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin DISPUTE injuries that Ben has reported to the media. In fact both coaches sounded a bit disgusted with Ben.

iloveben7
02-10-2009, 10:58 PM
^umm are they Ben? do they know what he's going through?

i'm getting sick and tired of all this bullcrap

X-Terminator
02-10-2009, 11:03 PM
My question is why should anyone give a rat's ass? Everyone knows Ben has taken a beating and his body probably looks like it's been run over by a train about 50 times, and yet, he plays on and continues to WIN, which I thought was the bottom line. The guy played nearly the entire season with a shoulder injury that would keep real pansies like Tony Homo and Ass-Chin Brady on the sideline, and helped lead his team to the SB title...which again, is all anyone should really give a shit about. Ben is nails, period.

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't care for those clowns either but I've heard BOTH Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin DISPUTE injuries that Ben has reported to the media. In fact both coaches sounded a bit disgusted with Ben.so what?

no coach wants a player to disclose their injuries.

especially when a player is coming off a motorcycle accident, appendectomy, and concussion, and allowed to go play against the raiders.

ben may have a big mouth, but he most definitely doesnt lie about when he has been hurt.

if you want to believe he uses it as a built in excuse for when he loses, then feel free to do so.

fact is, he is ALWAYS hurt, and almost NEVER loses.

X-Terminator
02-10-2009, 11:07 PM
so what?

especially when a player is coming off a motorcycle accident, appendectomy, and concussion, and allowed to go play against the raiders.

ben may have a big mouth, but he most definitely doesnt lie about when he has been hurt.

if you want to believe he uses it as a built in excuse for when he loses, then feel free to do so.

He's also taken the blame for every bad game he's played. So really, I don't want to hear the "built-in injury excuse" crap either. He has never used it.

devilsdancefloor
02-10-2009, 11:09 PM
you know why was a xray during the bowl week practice taken and then a MRI IF there was nothing wrong? Coaches wil say oh nah he is a warrior he is fine when a guy has a broken or Sprained ________! think about it if X team knows X player has a hurt ____ dont you think that x team will try to see if it is true or not? players suck it up more than any of us wil ever know to go out a play week to week. i suppoe bens shoulder wasnt hurting at the begining of the season either and coach T was just giving him time off practice:uhh: and about the concussion if he didnt have one WHY didnt he feel team docs stick him wiht a pin or why did they administer concussion test afterwards the following week? I think Espen was the ones who even wrote a article about the spinal cord concussion!? Anyway you can agree with some hack all ya want but as i see docs wheeling him off on a cart and then taking him to a hospital , then saying he has a spinal cord concussion who am i to believe some damn fool or a doctors report? you can decide on your own, but i know what i am gonna beleive!:coffee:

Steelers & I
02-10-2009, 11:24 PM
^umm are they Ben? do they know what he's going through?

i'm getting sick and tired of all this bullcrap

My opinion isn't based on the article. As you stated, the writer doesn't know the extent of Ben Roethlisberger's injuries. But I will tell you who DEFINITELY knows the extent of Roethlisberger's past injuries, that's the Pittsburgh Steeelers.

On more than one occasion, the Steeelers have refuted what Roethlisberger has told reporters or diminished the extent of a Roethlisberger injury. And during these injuries, not once has the Steelers organization ran to Roethlisberger's aid in order to shoot down the validity of these types of articles. That speaks volumes to me.

As they say, where there's smoke there's fire.

iloveben7
02-10-2009, 11:24 PM

completely true

iloveben7
02-10-2009, 11:25 PM
He's also taken the blame for every bad game he's played. So really, I don't want to hear the "built-in injury excuse" crap either. He has never used it.

100% true. He also never takes credit for winning a game either.

iloveben7
02-10-2009, 11:27 PM
My opinion isn't based on the article. As you stated, the writer doesn't know the extent of Ben Roethlisberger's injuries. But I will tell you who DEFINITELY knows the extent of Roethlisberger's past injuries, that's the Pittsburgh Steeelers.

On more than one occasion, the Steeelers have refuted what Roethlisberger has told reporters or diminished the extent of a Roethlisberger injury. That speaks volumes to me.

As they say, where there's smoke there's fire.

i know that. i was saying them as in the Steelers.

windmill
02-10-2009, 11:31 PM
here is the take on the chargers forum kind of jealous?
http://forums.signonsandiego.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Steelers & I
02-10-2009, 11:31 PM
so what?

Tony, no one is questioning Ben's ability to play QB. I'm simply saying that I believe the article. I believe that Ben attempts to make his injuries sound more severe than they actually are. That's all.

I don't know his reasoning for doing it and I don't really care. The dude plays some damn good QB when he has to. That's all that matters to me.

iloveben7
02-10-2009, 11:35 PM
if you don't care, then why did you respond to this?

Steelers & I
02-10-2009, 11:39 PM
if you don't care, then why did you respond to this?

That's what I come here for, at least I thought so. I have as much right to give my opinion as anyone else. You don't believe the article, good for you. I believe the article, good for me.

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 11:39 PM
On more than one occasion, the Steeelers have refuted what Roethlisberger has told reporters or diminished the extent of a Roethlisberger injury. And during these injuries, not once has the Steelers organization ran to Roethlisberger's aid in order to shoot down the validity of these types of articles. That speaks volumes to me.

As they say, where there's smoke there's fire. you mean like when a player says my "back is fu(ked up, and it really hurts" and an MRI later reveals 2 hairline fractured ribs? or when a player admits to having fractures in his thumb or toes, as the team is trying to skirt any media attention for supposedly trying to skirt any "injury report" guidelines because they know their qb is ready and able to go despite any minor boo-boo's?

if thats the case then i agree.

i remember the days when players such as jack youngblood were heralded for playing through a hairline fracture of the leg.

maybe you should try re-watching mario williams crushing bens shoulder in game 1, mcginnest slamming ben in game 17, or 2 ravens spearing ben in the afccg, and come back to this board with some added perpective, (other than opinions you read on an espn site)

:hunch:

iloveben7
02-10-2009, 11:41 PM
That's what I come here for, at least I thought so. I have as much right to give my opinion as anyone else. You don't believe the article, good for you. I believe the article, good for me.

if i don't care about a certain topic, i don't reply to it

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Tony, no one is questioning Ben's ability to play QB. I'm simply saying that I believe the article. I believe that Ben attempts to make his injuries sound more severe than they actually are. That's all.

I don't know his reasoning for doing it and I don't really care. The dude plays some damn good QB when he has to. That's all that matters to me.hey, ive never faulted anybody who believes in santa claus, easter bunny, and tooth fairy.

i used to, and my kid does as well, under my guidance.

in time, she will learn the truth though, just as man learned the earth wanst flat.

Steelers & I
02-10-2009, 11:47 PM
you mean like when a player says my "back is fu(ked up, and it really hurts" and an MRI later reveals 2 hairline fractured ribs? or when a player admits to having fractures in his thumb or toes, as the team is trying to skirt any media attention for supposedly trying to skirt any "injury report" guidelines because they know their qb is ready and able to go despite any minor boo-boo's?

if thats the case then i agree.

i remember the days when players such as jack youngblood were heralded for playing through a hairline fracture of the leg.

maybe you should try re-watching mario williams crushing bens shoulder in game 1, mcginnest slamming ben in game 17, or 2 ravens spearing ben in the afccg, and come back to this board with some added perpective, (other than opinions you read on an espn site)

:hunch:

In reference to the broken toes. The season was over. Maybe you can tell me what the Steelers had to hide with Roethlisberger's injury at that point????:noidea::noidea:

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 11:50 PM
In reference to the broken toes. The season was over. Maybe you can tell me what the Steelers had to hide with Roethlisberger's injury at that point????:noidea::noidea:why dont you tell me what ben has to hide?

he is innocent until proven guilty and since he is being put on trial by YOU, why dont YOU make the case?

until then....

:coffee:

Steelers & I
02-10-2009, 11:51 PM
hey, ive never faulted anybody who believes in santa claus, easter bunny, and tooth fairy.

i used to, and my kid does as well, under my guidance.

in time, she will learn the truth though, just as man learned the earth wanst flat.

Sure thing Tony, everything that we read about, whether it's ESPN or any media outlet for that matter, is total BS. Unless of course it comes from Steelers Fever Forums.

Steelers & I
02-10-2009, 11:53 PM
why dont you tell me what ben has to hide?

he is innocent until proven guilty and since he is being put on trial by YOU, why dont YOU make the case?

until then....

A dude believes an article and now all of a sudden he's put Ben Roethlisberger on trial. Gee whiz, how ridiculous.

StainlessStill
02-10-2009, 11:53 PM
My opinion on this is that there def. is something going on when it comes to who's injured and what is injured in every locker room in the NFL. Obviously someone in the medical fields of team felicities doesn't want any other team around the league know what player is injured, and what injury they suffered. Everything is sugar-coated.

Bottom line is, who the hell cares? I don't give a hell if Ben acts like he has seizures on the sidelines, as long as he wears the Black and Gold, I want him to just WIN BABY! and that's EXACTLY what he is.. a winner, and I am proud he is my beloved teams Quarterback. End of story.

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Sure thing Tony, everything that we read about, whether it's ESPN or any media outlet for that matter, is total BS. Unless of course it comes from Steelers Fever Forums.

my eyes + bens word > your piss poor media reports.

remember steelers vs. chargers in '05, the final drive? that would be an absolutely perfect example to support your stance, right? :popcorn:

tony hipchest
02-11-2009, 12:01 AM
A dude believes an article and now all of a sudden he's put Ben Roethlisberger on trial. Gee whiz, how ridiculous.backing down, i see.... :coffee:

Steelers & I
02-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Steelers deny knowledge of QB injuryComment Email Print ESPN.com news services

PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Steelers have no knowledge that Ben Roethlisberger played the Super Bowl with two broken ribs, as the quarterback told a Web site.

According to SI.com, Roethlisberger said his fractured ribs did not show up on X-rays taken before he led the Steelers to a 27-23 win over Arizona on Feb. 1, but were revealed only during an MRI test he had last week.

Roethlisberger

"Luckily, in the game, I didn't take any big hits to make 'em hurt," Roethlisberger told SI.com. "But I knew all along there was something wrong. There wouldn't have been anything that could have been done about fractured ribs anyway. It was just suck it up and play."

Roethlisberger did not miss any practices before the Super Bowl, although a pool report from the Wednesday practice said he attempted during the middle of the workout to stretch his torso. He missed one practice during the off week before the Super Bowl because of what the team said was a back injury.

"There's not a whole lot to say," Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said Monday. "Ben was fine to go. He was cleared to play. He didn't miss any [practice] time. There was no doubt he was going to play."

The NFL, in an e-mail to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, said the Steelers did not violate the league's injury reporting policy in the lead-up to the Super Bowl.

"Ben's injury was disclosed in the required injury report the week prior to the team going to Tampa for the Super Bowl," league spokesman Greg Aiello said in an e-mail, the newspaper reported. "He was listed throughout that week with a back injury."

In the e-mail, Aiello noted that during Super Bowl week, pool reporter Peter King of Sports Illustrated reported that Roethlisberger took full part in practice and "looked sharp."

"There was no doubt as to Ben's availability. Then, of course, he played the entire game," Aiello said, according to the report.

The Steelers said it would have been difficult for Roethlisberger to play any better than he did in leading the decisive 78-yard drive that ended with a precisely thrown 6-yard touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes with 35 seconds remaining.

Several plays before, Roethlisberger -- leading his sixth game-winning drive of the season -- hit Holmes on a 40-yard completion.

NFL.com Video

Take in the game like never before. For a surround-sound experience, headphones are key.

Roethlisberger did not mention any possible injury during postgame interviews.

It is uncertain if the validity of Roethlisberger's claim will be proved.

NFL teams do not routinely require players to undergo MRIs or other medical tests during the offseason, and Roethlisberger isn't due back in Pittsburgh until offseason workouts begin in April. By then, any problem that occurred before or during the Super Bowl might not show up in tests.

Roethlisberger has previously exaggerated or misstated injuries he supposedly suffered during his five-season career.

The day after the January 2005 AFC Championship Game, Roethlisberger said he broke two toes during the 41-27 loss to New England. Coach Bill Cowher emphatically denied that, saying the quarterback merely aggravated a toe injury from college. Roethlisberger never brought up the issue again.

Roethlisberger also said during training camp in 2006 that he played the Steelers' Super Bowl-winning season of 2005 with a broken thumb. Roethlisberger missed no playing time after supposedly being hurt on Nov. 28, 2005, in Indianapolis, and the team never revealed any such injury.

After Cowher resigned following the 2006 season, Roethlisberger acknowledged he and the coach didn't always get along -- in part, apparently, because Cowher felt the quarterback exaggerated the extent of injuries.

It also was reported that Roethlisberger sustained a spinal cord concussion against Cleveland on Dec. 28, but the team said only that he had a concussion.

"Ben's health is often the subject of inaccurate reports," coach Mike Tomlin said before the Super Bowl. "He's fine."

I don't know what more proof anyone needs. Not only have I previously read the bold portions of the article, I actually witnessed press conferences by both Mike Tomlin and Bill Cowher where they stated "verbatim", many of the quotes in the article.

But hey, I'll be the damn fool here. Whatever you say. I'm not trashing Ben Roethlisberger, I wouldn't trade him for anyone. But the damn article is accurate, PERIOD!

chucoblack&gold
02-11-2009, 12:03 AM
I dont understand these freaking analyst, first they post up their stats which have Ben as the most sacked qb, and then they have the oddasity to say he's a drama queen?:noidea::banging:

I'd like to see them take the hits he has taken and I am more than sure these divas would be on the sidelines on IR making comments like " It sucks watching from the sidelines, I wish I could contribute to my team on the field":doh:

IMO , Ben has earned his stripes and earned my respect as a STEELER type of QB.:tt:

Steelers & I
02-11-2009, 12:05 AM
my eyes + bens word > your piss poor media reports.

remember steelers vs. chargers in '05, the final drive? that would be an absolutely perfect example to support your stance, right? :popcorn:

Now that is funny, considering you posted the blasted media report. :rofl:

tony hipchest
02-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Now that is funny, considering you posted the blasted media report. :rofl::laughing:

and i clowned said "report". (anyone who thinks that was an actual "report" needs a clue)

But hey, I'll be the damn fool here. Whatever you say. I'm not trashing Ben Roethlisberger, I wouldn't trade him for anyone. But the damn article is accurate, PERIOD!:laughing:

well since you typed "PERIOD" it must be true. case closed.

since "the cat" is bored and the mouse about dead (i.e. im about done with you), for future reference, dont believe everything john madden or espn tell you.

i guess its safe to assume you believe holmgrens, maddens, and espn's takes of sb XL, no?

Steelers & I
02-11-2009, 01:41 AM

and i clowned said "report". (anyone who thinks that was an actual "report" needs a clue)

well since you typed "PERIOD" it must be true. case closed.

since "the cat" is bored and the mouse about dead (i.e. im about done with you), for future reference, dont believe everything john madden or espn tell you.

i guess its safe to assume you believe holmgrens, maddens, and espn's takes of sb XL, no?

That's why I come here Tony, so you can school me with what's accurate and what's inaccurate. What I don't understand is why in the heck you're not being paid for your expert coverage of Steelers football. Hell, you should have your own show already buddy.

Maybe I should remind you of something that I've already posted; I WITNESSED PRESS CONFERENCES WHERE BOTH COWHER AND TOMLIN MADE THE STATEMENTS QUOTED IN THE ARTICLE! Should I not believe what came out of their own mouths?

SteelCurtain7
02-11-2009, 04:40 AM
BSPN and Jason Whitlock should get a room already. It's obvious to even Mr. Magoo that they're drinking anti-Steeler haterade. :rolleyes: Tools.

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2009, 07:08 AM
They're just jealous because he's so amazing he's already healed fully from some cracked ribs.

SteelMember
02-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Broken fingers, ribs and toes. ribs and toes. ribs and toes.

"I just think Ben needs these injury stories to motivate him." -Steve Young, pre SB :doh:

paw-n-maul-u
02-11-2009, 09:40 AM
steve young is a doosh.

That would be coming from the guy who had to retire because of ... oh wait ... injuries. He also had The greatest receiver ever to play the game, and Terrell Owens. nuff said. Ben has as many superbowls in half the time.

Stephanie is bitter because Ben is better than him at his own game, making plays and scrambling around when things break down.

fansince'76
02-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Maybe I should remind you of something that I've already posted; I WITNESSED PRESS CONFERENCES WHERE BOTH COWHER AND TOMLIN MADE THE STATEMENTS QUOTED IN THE ARTICLE! Should I not believe what came out of their own mouths?

If Ben was "fine" all along, why was he on the injury report?

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Steve Young as a starter with the best WR in the history of the game...1 SB Ring.

Big Ben...2

Go Put your concussed head up your own arse Steve.

I always hated Steve Young and always will.

lardlad
02-11-2009, 11:50 AM
arghhh I hate all this stuff about Ben being a drama queen and making up injuries.

If any of those idiots actually saw that hit, then they would know that Ben fractured 2 of his ribs. I was at that game and I was freaking out because that hit was nasty and then I saw Ben get up slowly and he was having trouble breathing and then Leftwich was warming up. But Ben came back in and toughed it out like he ALWAYS does.

Yeah he really blew that whole motorcycle accident out of proportion.

SteelerFanInCA
02-11-2009, 03:00 PM
The writer off this article definitely has his head up his ass. Ben's as tough as they come.

JoeLion
02-11-2009, 03:28 PM
When is a crack not a fracture? Broken is fractured, correct? Cracked is still intact or in place.
Paging Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!!

Cape Cod Steel Head
02-11-2009, 03:57 PM
I too think Ben has a flair for the dramatic. He likes to exaggerate.Just watch his Letterman interview. Don't get me wrong he's tough as nails, and I love him for it.

Preacher
02-11-2009, 03:57 PM
By the way Steelers & I. . .

Many times the team doesn't know the extent of an injury of a player. Bettis talked about that, how he was injured, didn't tell the team, and then faked getting injured on a play so his injury could be taken care of without him being cut.

For any NUMBER of reasons, including Ben not wanting the game plan changed, he coulda hid it from the STeelers organization.

steelerdave1969
02-11-2009, 04:51 PM
All I know is is that if Ben keeps on taking a beating like he has the last 2 seasons he will not make half the contract extension he just signed..
:doh:

SteelCurtain7
02-11-2009, 04:53 PM
That's why the team needs to upgrade the O-Line ASAP.

tony hipchest
02-11-2009, 07:11 PM
I WITNESSED PRESS CONFERENCES WHERE BOTH COWHER AND TOMLIN MADE THE STATEMENTS QUOTED IN THE ARTICLE! i witnessed the games and the injuries occur. :noidea:

sackmaster56
02-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Who really cares. Maybe Ben is just having fun with the jagoff journalists that hound on every little word . Big Ben is laughing all the to the bank with two rings.
Go Stillers!! Lets go for 7....

iloveben7
02-11-2009, 08:35 PM
i witnessed the games and the injuries occur. :noidea:

i 2nd that

Steelers & I
02-11-2009, 11:29 PM
If Ben was "fine" all along, why was he on the injury report?

What???? No one has said that Roethlisberger WAS NOT injured. The article states that Roethlisberger has been known to report that his injuries are more serious than they actually are.

tony hipchest
02-11-2009, 11:53 PM
sorry dude, but ben is a quarterback, not a reporter.

the article is bogus. dont buy in.

Steelers & I
02-11-2009, 11:57 PM
By the way Steelers & I. . .

Many times the team doesn't know the extent of an injury of a player. Bettis talked about that, how he was injured, didn't tell the team, and then faked getting injured on a play so his injury could be taken care of without him being cut.

For any NUMBER of reasons, including Ben not wanting the game plan changed, he coulda hid it from the STeelers organization.

I firmly agree with that Preacher. But I ask this, after the 05 AFC Championship Game where the Steelers were defeated by the Patriots, at which point the Season was OVER, why would the Steelers organization, Coach Cowher in particular, scoff at Roethlisberger reporting to the media that he had played the game with 2 broken toes? I mean what did they have to hide? The season was over, there was no more game planning.

I'm not trashing Roethlisberger, some of the people quoted in the article are. I just happen to believe the information contained within the article. That is based on the fact that I've witnessed the press conferences in which both Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin made the statements that the article has quoted them with.

I've also witnessed an interview where Dan Patrick asked Roethlisberger if he had sustained a spinal cord concussion versus the Browns. Roethlisberger confirmed that his injury was a spinal cord concussion. The Steelers organization has stood their ground and stated that the injury was a "mild concussion". Obviously someone isn't telling the truth. I've never known the Steelers organization to lie to the media.

Once again, I don't really care if Ben lies to the media about the significance of his injuries. I believe that he has so therefore I believe the article and that's what has prompted the argument. Once again, with that being said, I wouldn't trade Roethlisberger for anyone. In my opinion, he's the best QB in the league.

iloveben7
02-12-2009, 09:20 AM
^i'm sorry but there's no way in heck that was a "mild concussion." you don't lose feeling in your limbs with a mild concussion.

Steelers & I
02-12-2009, 05:58 PM
^i'm sorry but there's no way in heck that was a "mild concussion." you don't lose feeling in your limbs with a mild concussion.

As someone else pointed out to me, if you watch the replay, Roethlisberger reaches up and grabs his facemask after hitting the ground and then, a few seconds later, he attempts to unsnap his chin strap.

I was told by one of my former-wrestling teammates, who suffered a similar injury, that it would be impossible for Roethlisberger to even squeeze the finger of a medic, let alone reach up and grab his facemask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q-VWtZt13M

tony hipchest
02-12-2009, 07:12 PM
lets see...

should i believe medical professionals, or a former wrestling teammate?

http://www.faqs.org/health/Sick-V4/Spinal-Cord-Injury.html

its not like ben came out and said he was paralyzed. he didnt say his spinal cord was severed. :dang:

Roethlisberger suffered a spinal cord concussion, and he called it "scary" when he could not feel team doctors sticking a pin into his arm on the field

The Patriot
02-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Big Ben made up cracked ribs/MRI story

Brady would never do that...

http://fordhamobserver.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/brady-foot.jpg

Steelers & I
02-12-2009, 10:12 PM
lets see...

should i believe medical professionals, or a former wrestling teammate?

http://www.faqs.org/health/Sick-V4/Spinal-Cord-Injury.html

its not like ben came out and said he was paralyzed. he didnt say his spinal cord was severed. :dang:

Well Tony if you can show me a medical professional, besides yourself, who has came out and said that Ben Roethlisberger suffered from a "SPINAL CORD CONCUSSION" then I'll bow down to you and say, "You're the freaking man Tony!"

In the meantime, I'll stick with the word of the Steelers front office who've stated that Ben Roethlisberger sustained a "MILD CONCUSSION". Thank you for your time.:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Preacher
02-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Well Tony if you can show me a medical professional, besides yourself, who has came out and said that Ben Roethlisberger suffered from a "SPINAL CORD CONCUSSION" then I'll bow down to you and say, "You're the freaking man Tony!"

In the meantime, I'll stick with the word of the Steelers front office who've stated that Ben Roethlisberger sustained a "MILD CONCUSSION". Thank you for your time.:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Um, a spinal cord concussion is STILL a concussion, it is just a different part of the body that is concussed.

tony hipchest
02-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Um, a spinal cord concussion is STILL a concussion, it is just a different part of the body that is concussed.

:huh: i guess steelers & i doesnt get that.

DUH! :dang::dang::dang:

the only problem with ben is he doesnt lie, is pretty up front with the media, and perhaps releases a little more information than the team would like.

ben doesnt really play all those secrative co-op games like brady or manning. he's more into football and balling.

loose lips may sink ships, but it takes more than a pair of vaginal flesh to sink ben.

TackleMeBen
02-12-2009, 10:37 PM
tony, are you not being friendly again. we all know that ben is just jealous that santo is getting all the media attn..lol..

tony hipchest
02-12-2009, 10:39 PM

:

why dont you show me a medical professional (other than your wrasslin buddy) who said he had "just a concussion that didnt involve the spine"?

and even then i wont say "you da man" :coffee:

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

iloveben7
02-12-2009, 11:35 PM
As someone else pointed out to me, if you watch the replay, Roethlisberger reaches up and grabs his facemask after hitting the ground and then, a few seconds later, he attempts to unsnap his chin strap.

I was told by one of my former-wrestling teammates, who suffered a similar injury, that it would be impossible for Roethlisberger to even squeeze the finger of a medic, let alone reach up and grab his facemask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q-VWtZt13M

he just touches his facemask, he doesn't grab it. and yeah he attempted to unstrap his chin strap, but he couldn't because he couldn't feel it. and the numbness probably takes a few seconds to take effect

Steelers & I
02-13-2009, 01:13 AM
Well there's no sense in arguing about this topic any longer. If those involved can't tell the SIGNIFICANT difference between a "MILD CONCUSSION" and a "SPINAL CORD CONCUSSION", then they are just out of touch with reality.

Vagina flesh, yeah great freaking point Tony. You win as always, it's your world Buddy! :thumbsup:

Steelers & I
02-13-2009, 04:05 AM
http://www.pfats.com/pfatsinfo/membership/newsletters/pdf/PFATSSummer2003.pdf

A Semi-Annual Publication of the Professional Football Athletic Trainers Society • Summer 2003 • Vol. 21, No. 1

Management of a Cerebral and Spinal Cord Concussion in a Professional Football Player

Ryan Grove, MS, ATC, Ariko Iso, MA, ATC,
John Norwig, MEd, ATC, Joseph Maroon, MD

Athletic injuries usually do not result in catastrophic and irreversible damage. However, the potential for such an injury, especially when it involves the head or neck, is a major concern for those who care for athletes participating in collision sports. A brain or spinal cord injury can cause permanent paralysis and athletic trainers must be prepared to recognize, evaluate and manage an athlete with this type of injury. The purpose of this article is to present a case study in which a professional football player suffered both a spinal cord and cerebral concussion during competitive play.

Epidemiology

Head and neck injuries tend to be associated with organized sports, specifically football, wrestling or gymnastics. But in reality, these types of injuries are more common in recreational activities such as swimming, diving or playing on a trampoline. Studies show that 10 percent of all sports-related spinal injuries occurred from diving accidents, while only three percent resulted from participating in organized sports.1

Head and neck injuries associated with football have decreased dramatically at all levels since 1975, even though the number of participants continues to increase. Although the incidence is decreasing, several recent high-profile cases in the NFL have shown that these types of injuries can still occur.

Cerebral vs. Spinal Cord

Cerebral concussions occur more frequently than spinal cord concussions and may be more familiar to most athletic trainers. Cerebral concussion: This is an electrochemical phenomenon triggered by a traumatic or violent blow to the head. Although there is generally no structural damage to the brain, a cerebral concussion results from the disruption in the chemical and electrical activity in the brain. Specifically caused by the release of potassium and other ions into nerve synapses, this interruption is commonly referred to as being “knocked out,” and can result in loss of consciousness, confusion or disorientation.

Spinal cord concussion: Although extremely rare, this is analogous to a cerebral concussion in that a violent impact to the spinal column causes function of the spinal cord to shut down due to the electrochemical imbalances. However, instead of losing consciousness, there is a transient loss of all spinal cord functions with no structural damage to the cord itself.

Case Study

The injury occurred on November 17, 2002, in the third quarter of an away game against the Tennessee Titans. Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback Tommy Maddox was running to his left when he was tackled by an opposing player. As he was falling, he received a severe blow to his left shoulder and cervical spine area by a second defensive player. It is believed that this blow caused immediate unconsciousness and loss of sensory and motor function in all four of his extremities. The collision also caused the quarterback’s head to slightly flex forward and rotate to the right. Tommy Maddox is knocked unconscious. This resulted in the anterior aspect of his head and helmet being driven into the playing surface.

On-Field Management

As we approached Maddox, he was motionless and lying face down, so we:

1. Immediately focused on stabilizing his head and neck with manual fixation as a cervical spine fracture or spinal cord injury should always be suspected in an unconscious athlete.
2. Performed a primary survey to assess his level of consciousness, checking his airway, respiratory and circulatory systems. He was unconscious and unresponsive, but we could tell that he was breathing as his thorax was rising and falling.
3. Executed a log-roll maneuver to place him in a supine position, allowing for a more thorough assessment of his condition. We continued to stabilize his head and neck with manual in-line stabilization and slight traction. His helmet was left on with the chinstrap fastened for additional stabilization. Although he was still unconscious, his respirations and pulse were normal. He regained consciousness after several minutes.

4. Had the team physician then perform a secondary survey, assessing his level of consciousness, cranial nerve, motor and sensory functions, and learning as much
information about the injury as possible. From the neurological exam, he determined the athlete had motor and sensory loss in all four extremities and the potential for a cervical spine fracture. 5. Placed Maddox on a spine board using a half log-roll maneuver. Once secured to the board, he was lifted onto on a stretcher via a six-person lift and positioned feet first into the ambulance to prevent axial loading from deceleration and braking during transport to the hospital. Even though the athlete’s respiratory status was normal, we followed our standard operating procedures and removed his face mask with a power screwdriver prior to transport to the hospital.

Diagnostic Testing:
Upon arriving at Baptist Hospital in Nashville, clinicians immediately performed:
An MRI of the brain and spinal cord, ACT scan of the cervical spine, and X-rays of the cervical spine

Cervical Spine MRI: Three primary reasons for the cervical spine MRI are to: Rule out a fracture or dislocation and determine the existence of herniated discs. Identify any bruising, contusions, hemorrhaging or swelling to or in the spinal cord. Determine the existence of spinal stenosis, as there are significant implications regarding further participation in collision sports if the spinal canal is narrowed, even if there is complete return of function. The cervical spine MRI study showed no evidence of fractures, dislocations, herniated discs, hemorrhaging, spinal stenosis or any intrinsic abnormalities within the spinal cord.

Cerebral MRI: Doctors ordered an MRI to identify any brain injury. As no abnormalities to the brain or spinal cord could be identified, they determined the athlete’s loss of function in all four extremities following the injury was due to an electrochemical abnormality and not any structural disruption of the cord.

CT Scan and X-Rays: Doctors ordered a CT scan to identify any cervical spine abnormalities that may not have been apparent on the MRI. They also reviewed plain X-Rays. Results from both tests showed no sign of fracture or dislocation.

Diagnosis

As a result of the on-field and clinical testing, Maddox was diagnosed as having
suffered both a cerebral and spinal cord concussion. Diagnosis of a cerebral concussion was based on: Loss of consciousness for at least two minutes. Concurrent retrograde amnesia for approximately 30 minutes.

The spinal cord concussion was identified by: The athlete’s inability to feel and move his arms and legs for approximately 30 minutes following the injury. The fact that the MRIs, CT scans and X-Rays revealed no anatomical, physiological or structural damage to the spinal cord or spinal column.

Follow-Up Care

Maddox was transferred back to Pittsburgh the next day where the Steelers’ Team Neurosurgeon Joseph Maroon performed a complete physical and neurological exam and administered the Immediate Post Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Test (ImPACT).4 ImPACT is a computer-based testing method used to establish normative values for an athlete’s subjective complaints and cognitive functions including reaction time, memory, orientation and processing speed of the brain.

Maddox first took a baseline exam in August 2001. These results were then compared to the findings from his retest the day after the injury. The post-injury test noted mild declines in memory and reaction time but indicated his acute neurocognitive recovery was excellent. He was re-evaluated two days later and results showed continued improvement with memory and reaction time. Overall, his brain function had returned to a normal state within 48 hours of a significant blow to the head and neck.

Steelers & I
02-13-2009, 04:08 AM
Rehab and Return to Play

Our first goal was to make sure Maddox had a full understanding of his injury and the possible risks associated with participating in football. With the help of diagnostic studies and our team neurosurgeon, he was given the information needed to make a decision about returning to professional football. Once he decided to stay in the sport, it became our responsibility to make sure he was mentally and physically ready.

Since his MRI, CT scans and ImPACT test results were normal, we addressed his subjective complaints by emphasizing a gradual progression to full activity based on complete symptomatic relief. To help him recover mentally and physically from the initial trauma and intensive care treatment, we instructed him to rest and perform simple activities of daily living until he felt asymptomatic.

Once asymptomatic at rest, he began a functional progression of exercise consisting of light nonsport-specific aerobic activities (e.g., riding a stationary bike) and a few sport-specific activities (e.g., throwing a football). We monitored his symptoms using a visual analog scale and additional ImPACT testing. He also increased his mental functioning by participating in off-field activities such as watching film, team meetings and interacting with players and coaches.

The emphasis of his rehabilitation program then moved to position-specific drills. Restrictions on team activities were removed as soon as he felt comfortable. By carefully increasing the time, type (noncontact vs. limited contact vs. full contact) and intensity of sports-related activities, Maddox was able to return to practice. He returned to full competition once he was asymptomatic at rest, with exertion and with contact. Neurocognitive function and Maddox’s report of symptoms were closely monitored during the entire rehabilitation process.

Conclusion

Cervical spine injuries can be devastating for the athlete, the athlete’s family and those who care for him. When a neurological injury occurs, it is the responsibility of the sports medicine team to rapidly assess the scene, immobilize the head and neck and prepare the athlete for transport to a trauma center where

Steelers & I
02-13-2009, 04:34 AM
Now obviously, if you've taken the time to read the article, a concussion IS NOT a concussion. A spinal cord concussion is much more severe.

While on the topic of the Tommy Maddox injury, why do you suppose that the Steelers front office didn't attempt to HIDE the "true Tommy Maddox medical diagnosis" from the media?

I mean some of you have suggested that the Steelers front office downplayed the Roethlisberger injury in order to keep the media from learning the true medical diagnosis. Do you need a link? Look below, the Steeelers reported the PRECISE injury sustained by Maddox.

"Tommy suffered a concussion and spinal cord contusion," Steelers spokesman Ron Wahl said Sunday night.

"He has movement in all four of his limbs. He is awake, alert and has been talking with his family," added Wahl.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher said Maddox was conscious and talking while lying on the field, but had had lost feeling. "We're all cautiously optimistic, as you would know," said Cowher.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2002/11/17/maddox021117.html

Oh yeah, just for the record, the aforementioned press release was posted the day after the Maddox injury. That dang ole BIG MOUTH Steelers spokesman. Better yet, even Bill Cowher spoke of the injury.

Man, this shoots down a lot of your silly :rofl: "Super Secret-Steelers front office" theories.

Oh well, I've brought this FEAST to the table, lets see if you can bring anything to devour my information.

Steelers & I
02-13-2009, 04:54 AM
why dont you show me a medical professional (other than your wrasslin buddy) who said he had "just a concussion that didnt involve the spine"?

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

A medical professional sure as HECK didn't have any problem reporting the spinal cord concussion suffered by Tommy Maddox, now did he? In fact, reports were ALL over the television, internet, radio, and newspapers for several days. Do you remember?

http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/20021119tommy1119p1.asp

A spinal cord concussion in the NFL is BIG news and if Roethlisberger would have sustained that type of injury it CERTAINLY would have been reported by someone other than Roethlisberger himself. :wave::wave::flap:

Oh yeah, maybe Ben Roethlisberger is exempt from extensive media coverage in regards to his injuries. Just like after his motorcycle crash, right? What did we see, like 2 weeks of media coverage, press conferences with all of the Doctors who gave us detailed injury, surgical, and even bladder release details about Roethlisberger.

Keep trying Tony, maybe you can call me a name or something, that should win this argument for you. Besides, name calling is so cool.

Steelers & I
02-13-2009, 04:59 AM
And just in case anyone wants to dispute the fact that Roethlisberger reported that he sustained a spinal cord concussion, take a look at the following video, around the 1:40 mark. It's kind of odd that he's not even able to look at the camera when he answers the question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnvS2-c9Mrw

Steelers & I
02-13-2009, 05:23 AM

http://kdka.com/health/Ben.Roethlisberger.concussion.2.896104.html

Big Ben Sustains Concussion During Browns GamePITTSBURGH (KDKA) ―

It's a sight no Steelers fan wanted to see; Ben Roethlisberger leaving Heinz Field on a stretcher.

Doctors at UPMC Presbyterian say Roethlisberger suffered a mild concussion with no other injuries.

KDKA's Alison Morris went to see our Health Editor Dr. Maria Simbra to find out what Big Ben's injury means.

"A concussion is a short loss of normal brain function usually after a blow to the head," explains Dr. Maria. "So the most common symptoms are going to be confusion and amnesia. In other words, you forget what happened to you whenever you've hit your head."

But the symptoms could be more severe and last longer, especially since Roethlisberger suffered severe head injuries when he crashed his motorcycle in June of 2006.

"Sometimes people can have lingering symptoms, headaches, dizziness, incoordination, trouble concentrating," says Dr. Maria. "Those are the things they're going to be watching for and even sometimes the bleeding and the swelling may not show up for hours or for days. So they have to keep an eye on someone with a concussion, to look for those symptoms and maybe do additional tests if those symptoms linger."

Also, Dr. Maria say once someone has had a concussion, they are prone to other ones.

"You have to be very careful in this situation and long-term there can be cumulative damage to the brain with multiple concussions."

And while it's likely that Roethlisberger will be ready to play in the Steelers first playoff game at Heinz Field in two weeks, Dr. Maria says its important not to rush back to soon.

"If you come back too soon to the game there is a concern called "Second Impact Syndrome," that is a problem where a second blow to the head can completely mess up the way your brain regulates the blood flow and it can actually be fatal."

Dr. Maria says that Roethlisberger's doctors will most likely keep a close eye on him tonight and into Monday.

I'll say it for you Tony, I'M THE MAN!

lilyoder6
02-13-2009, 07:49 AM
then what are some of these reports doing saying that ben had a spinal cord concussion.???

there are just so many... so i chose only 4 at this time

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3828762

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09013/941382-66.stm

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/12/roethlisbergers-injury-was-a-spinal-cord-concussion/

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2009/01/roethlisberger-had-spinal-cord-concussion.html

Steelers & I
02-13-2009, 09:15 AM
then what are some of these reports doing saying that ben had a spinal cord concussion.???

there are just so many... so i chose only 4 at this time

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3828762

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09013/941382-66.stm

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/12/roethlisbergers-injury-was-a-spinal-cord-concussion/

http://views.washingtonpost.com/theleague/nflnewsfeed/2009/01/roethlisberger-had-spinal-cord-concussion.html

The information contained within those articles states either "According to a report by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette" or "The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned" .

Not ONE of those articles are able to claim that a Doctor or Medical facility had provided them with the information. I believe that the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, who by the way, initiated the spinal cord concussion stories, obtained it's information from none other than Roethlisberger himself.

The article that I posted above is the only one that I'm able to find that actually states that a Doctor or medical facility provided the information.

Steelers & I
02-13-2009, 11:04 AM
http://www.kffl.com/article.php/62334/41

Listed below are official NFL injury reports from the 2008 NFL season. Baltimore Ravens SS, Dawan Landry, sustained a spinal cord concussion injury in a week #3 game. As you can see below, (neck) is the proper way to list a spinal cord concussion injury.

As you scroll down to the January 9th injury report of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and by the way, this was the first injury report submitted by the Steelers after Roethlisberger sustained a “mild concussion” versus the Browns, take notice that Roethlisberger is listed as probable with a (concussion).

The January 16th and January 30th injury reports don’t even list Roethlisberger as being injured. Now that’s pretty miraculous when you consider that Dawan Landry’s week #3 injury ultimately landed him on the injured reserve list.

I suppose that one of you will say that the Pittsburgh Steelers "fudged" their injury report. Yeah, yeah, that's the Steelers way isn't it. A dishonest manner in operating an NFL franchise. Oh Sure.:thumbsup:

Once again (neck) is the proper terminology when listing a spinal cord concussion on an NFL injury report. A (concussion) is just that, a concussion.

September 26, 2008

Baltimore Ravens

PROBABLE: RB Willis McGahee (eye), FB Le'Ron McClain (ankle), TE Daniel Wilcox (shoulder/ankle), LB Tavares Gooden (hip), LB Ray Lewis (foot), CB Fabian Washington (neck)
QUESTIONABLE: WR Yamon Figurs (hamstring), OT Adam Terry (ankle), LB Nick Greisen (thigh)
OUT: QB Troy Smith (illness), DL Kelly Gregg (knee), CB Samari Rolle (shoulder/neck), SS Dawan Landry (neck)
INJURED RESERVE: QB Kyle Boller (shoulder), RB Cory Ross (undisclosed), TE Quinn Sypniewski (knee), CB David Pittman (undisclosed)

January 9, 2009

Pittsburgh Steelers

PROBABLE: QB Ben Roethlisberger (concussion)
INJURED RESERVE: QB Charlie Batch (collarbone), RB Rashard Mendenhall (shoulder), OG Kendall Simmons (Achilles')

January 16, 2009

Pittsburgh Steelers

PROBABLE: C Justin Hartwig (knee), SS Troy Polamalu (calf)
INJURED RESERVE: QB Charlie Batch (collarbone), RB Rashard Mendenhall (shoulder), OG Kendall Simmons (Achilles')

January 30, 2009

Pittsburgh Steelers

PROBABLE: WR Hines Ward (knee)

The link to Dawan Landry’s spinal cord concussion story.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Baltimore/Features/2008/wilky092208.htm

43Hitman
02-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Who really gives a damn...Geez, let it go already. We did just win our 6th championship. Also Steelers & I, isn't it about time you made that donation to the site. Cause if Ariens was going to be fired, it would have happened already. So "BE THE MAN" and pay up.

lilyoder6
02-13-2009, 12:41 PM
y are u even getting up upset over the fact if he or if he didn't have a spinal cord concussion...

either way it was a non factor by the chargers game

lilyoder6
02-13-2009, 12:43 PM
The information contained within those articles states either "According to a report by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette" or "The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned" .

Not ONE of those articles are able to claim that a Doctor or Medical facility had provided them with the information. I believe that the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, who by the way, initiated the spinal cord concussion stories, obtained it's information from none other than Roethlisberger himself.

The article that I posted above is the only one that I'm able to find that actually states that a Doctor or medical facility provided the information.

are these the same doctor's or medical facility that said that there was NOTHING wrong with ryan clark last yr???

X-Terminator
02-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Somebody want to tell me why this is even an issue? WHO CARES! Instead of enjoying yet another SB championship, there are people arguing over minutia. Give it a rest, for crying out loud!

SteelMember
02-13-2009, 01:42 PM
I personally love a good minutia.

The chocolate filled ones are the best. De-licious.

TackleMeBen
02-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Somebody want to tell me why this is even an issue? WHO CARES! Instead of enjoying yet another SB championship, there are people arguing over minutia. Give it a rest, for crying out loud!
because people always have to find something to fuss about regarding ben and what comes out of his mouth.lol

Preacher
02-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Its the offseason...

Let the joy commence!

TackleMeBen
02-13-2009, 02:31 PM
which means people have nothing better to do but to question ben on whether he was hurt or not..lol

Steelers & I
02-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Who really gives a damn...Geez, let it go already. We did just win our 6th championship. Also Steelers & I, isn't it about time you made that donation to the site. Cause if Ariens was going to be fired, it would have happened already. So "BE THE MAN" and pay up.

There are 10 pages on this thread so obviously a few people give a damn. Also 43 Hitman, I've already said in another thread, approximately 2 weeks ago, that I would make my donation 4 weeks after the season was over if in fact Arians was still with the team. That leaves me 2 weeks so there's no reason for concern on your part.

This thread isn't really about whether Ben lied or not, I don't give a $hit either way, he's still the effing man in my mind. This thread is about one the forums "alleged tough guys" calling me out because I believe that the article is truthful.

Also, for the record, I have let it go. It's quite apparent that I won this debate by a landslide.

Steelers & I
02-13-2009, 08:41 PM
he just touches his facemask, he doesn't grab it. and yeah he attempted to unstrap his chin strap, but he couldn't because he couldn't feel it. and the numbness probably takes a few seconds to take effect

Sure thing, "the numbness", as you call it, takes effect immediately and typically wears off in a matter of seconds.

steelerNATION
02-13-2009, 10:42 PM
If he actually did have microfractures in his ribs in the super bowl, he did a hell of a job. Bens a beast.

tony hipchest
02-14-2009, 12:05 AM
Oh well, I've brought this FEAST to the table, lets see if you can bring anything to devour my information. :rolleyes: i think i have a plastic spork left over from a KFC meal...

Keep trying Tony, maybe you can call me a name or something, that should win this argument for you. Besides, name calling is so cool.

who needs name calling to win a lame argument? :hunch:

This thread is about one the forums "alleged tough guys" calling me out because I believe that the article is truthful.

Also, for the record, I have let it go. It's quite apparent that I won this debate by a landslide.

:toofunny: awww... did i "muscle" you around and "strong arm" ya?

I'll say it for you Tony, I'M THE MAN!
:rolleyes:
you really think so? you didnt do shit to this "debate". :noidea:

ben still had cracked ribs in the superbowl even if one wants to call them hairline fractures (see the legendary jack youngblood and his broken leg).

i will give you an A for effort on your research, but you still did nothing to differentiate between a mild concussion or a severe one, regardless if its dealing with the spine or brain.

a mild concussion will see players like polamalu or ben return without missing a game. a severe one will see a player like trent green missing a whole season.

its obvios maddox had a more severe concussion in 2002, as he was unable to return for several weeks. ben was medically cleared to return within 2. of course cowher would address the situation accoringly and immediatly say why his player COULD NOT PLAY.

i appreciate your "textbook" attempt of understanding the situation, but it lacks the "street smarts" and the reality of the situation.

ben talked with his doctors and knows his body more than his coaches. i have WITNESSED cowher/tomlin press conferences where they admit they arent overly interrested in the medical jargon from doctors. they are only concerned whether a player is medically cleared to play or not.

that is why the coaches coach, and the medical staff gets paid to make a professional diagnosis.

ben is the one who gets paid to worry about his body. tomlin/cowher get paid to worry about the team. (do you really think coaches look at x-ray photos?- thats what the medical staff is for) :noidea:

anyways, heres to you finding many more opportunities to post in red in victory. :laughing:

MACH1
02-14-2009, 12:21 AM
I've also witnessed an interview where Dan Patrick asked Roethlisberger if he had sustained a spinal cord concussion versus the Browns. Roethlisberger confirmed that his injury was a spinal cord concussion. The Steelers organization has stood their ground and stated that the injury was a "mild concussion". Obviously someone isn't telling the truth. I've never known the Steelers organization to lie to the media.

You must have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. Stay smart. :doh:

Steelers & I
02-14-2009, 11:16 AM
:rolleyes: i think i have a plastic spork left over from a KFC meal...

who needs name calling to win a lame argument? :hunch:

:toofunny: awww... did i "muscle" you around and "strong arm" ya?

:rolleyes:
you really think so? you didnt do shit to this "debate". :noidea:

ben still had cracked ribs in the superbowl even if one wants to call them hairline fractures (see the legendary jack youngblood and his broken leg).

i will give you an A for effort on your research, but you still did nothing to differentiate between a mild concussion or a severe one, regardless if its dealing with the spine or brain.

a mild concussion will see players like polamalu or ben return without missing a game. a severe one will see a player like trent green missing a whole season.

its obvios maddox had a more severe concussion in 2002, as he was unable to return for several weeks. ben was medically cleared to return within 2. of course cowher would address the situation accoringly and immediatly say why his player COULD NOT PLAY.

i appreciate your "textbook" attempt of understanding the situation, but it lacks the "street smarts" and the reality of the situation.

ben talked with his doctors and knows his body more than his coaches. i have WITNESSED cowher/tomlin press conferences where they admit they arent overly interrested in the medical jargon from doctors. they are only concerned whether a player is medically cleared to play or not.

that is why the coaches coach, and the medical staff gets paid to make a professional diagnosis.

ben is the one who gets paid to worry about his body. tomlin/cowher get paid to worry about the team. (do you really think coaches look at x-ray photos?- thats what the medical staff is for) :noidea:

anyways, heres to you finding many more opportunities to post in red in victory. :laughing:

Thanks for the A grade Tony. I guess I'll cut my losses and move on. :drink:

Steelers & I
02-14-2009, 11:27 AM
You must have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. Stay smart. :doh:

And I'll venture to say that you stayed in Idaho last night, :toofunny:

With that being said, does anything else really need to be said about you? :sissies:

MACH1
02-14-2009, 11:43 AM
And I see your uncle/brother/cousin let you off the top of him this morning.