PDA

View Full Version : Favre to retire....

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3898942

Without the tearful public ceremony that accompanied his retirement announcement from the Green Bay Packers just 11 months ago, quarterback Brett Favre has instructed agent Bus Cook to inform the New York Jets today that he plans to retire.

In an email to ESPN's Ed Werder, Favre indicated he had no regrets about finishing his career with the Jets rather than with the Green Bay Packers franchise he represented for his previous 16 NFL seasons. He specifically praised Tannenbaum, Jets owner Woody Johnson and fired coach Eric Mangini _ and even mentioned Thomas Jones and Kerry Rhodes, both of whom were publicly critical of Favre after the team's collapse in the final month of the season prevented the Jets from making the playoffs.

"Mike and Woody, as well as the entire organization, have been nothing short of outstanding,'' Favre said in the email. "My teammates _ Thomas and Kerry included _ were a pleasure to play with. Eric (Mangini) could not have been any better. I enjoyed playing for him. My time with the Jets was short, but I'm honored to be given that chance.''

*Click on the link for the rest of the article..it's a long one.

fansince'76
02-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Riiiiight. I'll believe it when I see it. :coffee:

KeiselPower99
02-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Happy trails.

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Anyone believing that is like the Cardinals having a Lombardi Trophy.

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Do you think they will try and go after Cassel?

KeiselPower99
02-11-2009, 08:53 AM
I think they go for Chris Simms now, Byrons appeal just went up.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Do you think they will try and go after Cassel?

They Patriots are not going to trade Cassel to the Jets. Never going to happen.

As for Favre retiring, good riddance.

And as for Rhodes and Jones complaining about him playing hurt, a 60% Brett Favre was still better than a 100% anyone else they had on the roster to play QB.

rbryan
02-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Pweese don't retire Brett......we need you!!

And they call Big Ben a drama queen.....lol

Trust me, we haven't heard the end of the Favre saga....he'll retire and change his mind 3 or 4 times by September.

HometownGal
02-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Byrons appeal just went up.

BINGO. That young man is going to have some tough decisions to make, but sadly, I think Lefty will be gone and I would be happy for him if he got a starting job with another team - he deserves it! :drink:

As for Favre - I love the guy and all he has brought to the game, but like Gary, I'll believe it when the season starts and #4 isn't on the field, whether it be in NY or somewhere else.

Godfather
02-11-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm kicking myself for not going to the Broke Spoke to see a game.

(The Broke Spoke is the most popular bar in Kiln.)

revefsreleets
02-11-2009, 09:42 AM
No, he's really done this time. He would have been better off just staying away instead of doing this Sugar Ray Leonard imitation, but he's still a 1st ballot HOFer, so...

I'm wondering if the Jets look to the draft for their "QB of the future"...

OneForTheToe
02-11-2009, 10:38 AM
He's retiring, but he may take an extended vacation in Minnesota during the month of July. You know ... just cause he likes the area.:coffee:

brick
02-11-2009, 10:44 AM
i knew this story would break one of these days, and i also knew i wouldn't even react at all when i read it because i won't believe it until next season actually starts.

stlrtruck
02-11-2009, 11:10 AM
I've got this song by Whitesnake playing in the back of my head...

Here I go again on my own, down this broken road....

Blah, blah, blah - Bret. I just hope you're a man of your word this time.

I really can do without the off season circus that has followed you the last 5 years.

The Duke
02-11-2009, 11:35 AM
Just stay retired Favre. that way I can go back to liking you :smile:

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
When the 09 season starts, and he isn't in a Football Uniform for ANY Team in the NFL, I'll believe it.

Now if mid season some team begs him to come back cause they are in dire straits, I won't blame him, but if he's on a roster in August or September, I'll lose tons of respect for the guy.

SteelCityKing
02-11-2009, 11:55 AM
he'll be back. the Lions will probably need a new QB and he'll come in and "save the day."

don't get me wrong, i love Favre. he's a great player and a great icon for young fans and players alike. but he shold've quit while he was at the tippy top of his game. his last year in Green Bay would've done the trick. he just should've stayed retired.

drizze99
02-11-2009, 11:57 AM
F- Favre... I am tired of his BS. When he is not on a team next season, I will believe it.

SteelCityKing
02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
it seems to me that a lot of people aren't surprised AND they don't really care. i'm just surprised that people cared enough to begin a thread about it. haha!

but it is a football topic and primarily a football forum. so, i know Favres name had to pop up in here at sometime. but since nobody cares or is suprised...i'm letting it go.

good luck and good riddance Favre. peace out. =)

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
it seems to me that a lot of people aren't surprised AND they don't really care. i'm just surprised that people cared enough to begin a thread about it. haha!

but it is a football topic and primarily a football forum. so, i know Favres name had to pop up in here at sometime. but since nobody cares or is suprised...i'm letting it go.

good luck and good riddance Favre. peace out. =)

It is football news, so yeah I care and thought other people might want to know what was going on as well. So that is why I started the thread.

It is not so much him retiring that is the interesting part(pretty much saw that one coming anyhow), but more what direction the organization will go in now.....draft or FA....that is what I figured the discussion would lead to.

I didn't know I had to justify why I start a thread lol...must have missed that memo.

Since you are not interested in any of this and don't really care....why did you read the thread to begin with then? ;) lol I usually don't bother reading threads where the topic is of no interest to me.

SteelCityKing
02-11-2009, 12:24 PM
It is football news, so yeah I care and thought other people might want to know what was going on as well. So that is why I started the thread.

It is not so much him retiring that is the interesting part(pretty much saw that one coming anyhow), but more what direction the organization will go in now.....draft or FA....that is what I figured the discussion would lead to.

I didn't know I had to justify why I start a thread lol...must have missed that memo.

Since you are not interested in any of this and don't really care....why did you read the thread to begin with then? ;) lol I usually don't bother reading threads where the topic is of no interest to me.

ohhhh you! haha!

Fire Haley
02-11-2009, 12:26 PM
What, no blubbering press conference?

IF he retires now - only to unretire later, can he play in Minny?

The Jets will be lucky if they win 5 games this year.

devilsdancefloor
02-11-2009, 12:28 PM
http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/3/2/11/f_dramam_4f5310b.png

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 12:31 PM
ohhhh you! haha!

I'm just foolin with ya. :)

Brett used to be someone who I admired, and still do for his ON the field accomplishments. How he has acted though, over the past few years with the Packers...waiting till the last minute to decide...am I or am I not going to play....back and forth...all the attention was on HIM..and what his decision would be. I got so sick of hearing about him dragging his feet every year...which imo was not fair to the Packer organization.

Far too much drama associated with him.

As the saying goes...crap or get off the pot!

Edman
02-11-2009, 01:36 PM
I'll believe it come September when he isn't on an NFL roster.

Until then, I'll take it as a another ruse.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm kicking myself for not going to the Broke Spoke to see a game.

(The Broke Spoke is the most popular bar in Kiln.)

Is there more than one barn in Kiln??

All those sappy old NFL films vignettes of Favre's hometown look like there are only 98 people in old wood shacks there. :noidea:

AllD
02-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Farve needs to open up a restaurant where he can hang out and relive the 1990s. He put together one last effort his last season in Green Bay, but as usual when Brett came before the team they gave him a gentle push.

You put him between Marino and Simms and you have some massive ego problems.

SteelCurtain7
02-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Pweese don't retire Brett......we need you!!

And they call Big Ben a drama queen.....lol

Trust me, we haven't heard the end of the Favre saga....he'll retire and change his mind 3 or 4 times by September.

And BSPN will follow along as the simpering sheep they are with every second of the ensuing fracas. :rolleyes:

Go away, prima donna drama queen. You've worn out your welcome. This is not the National Favrevrevre League.

SteelCurtain7
02-11-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm just foolin with ya. :)

Brett used to be someone who I admired, and still do for his ON the field accomplishments. How he has acted though, over the past few years with the Packers...waiting till the last minute to decide...am I or am I not going to play....back and forth...all the attention was on HIM..and what his decision would be. I got so sick of hearing about him dragging his feet every year...which imo was not fair to the Packer organization.

Far too much drama associated with him.

As the saying goes...crap or get off the pot!

I was thinking the same thing. I totally lost respect for him. He has to wake up and realize we're all sick and tired of his sideshow antics. :mad:

T&B fan
02-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Just stay retired Favre. that way I can go back to liking you :smile:

:iagree: ... and what will Maden do :hunch: :willy: .. mybe go with his :kiss02: Favre :laughing:

steelerdave1969
02-11-2009, 05:10 PM
I love Brett Favre and what he brought to the game for these 18 years of service in the NFL, but I hope this time its for good. God Bless Ya Brett and your wife and family as well..
:hatsoff:

beSteelmyheart
02-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Here we go again...:coffee: Wow, what a big surprise, huh? I am beginning to wonder if he is some kind of egomaniac who cooks up this same old whiny song & dance every off season so that he can sit around the house & watch the spoogefest on ESPN all day long...And just when the talk starts to taper off in the coming days or weeks, he'll throw something else out there to stir it up again. It's getting pathetic.
What's really going to make me want to puke is if he's offered some big deal to join the talking heads & he'll be on NFL live every day this upcoming season & everyone will just cream themselves over his "expert opinion". It'll be too sickening for me to watch.

Steelcitygal87
02-11-2009, 08:18 PM
Here we go again...:coffee: Wow, what a big surprise, huh? I am beginning to wonder if he is some kind of egomaniac who cooks up this same old whiny song & dance every off season so that he can sit around the house & watch the spoogefest on ESPN all day long...And just when the talk starts to taper off in the coming days or weeks, he'll throw something else out there to stir it up again. It's getting pathetic.
What's really going to make me want to puke is if he's offered some big deal to join the talking heads & he'll be on NFL live every day this upcoming season & everyone will just cream themselves over his "expert opinion". It'll be too sickening for me to watch.

Yeah, that is what is so strange/shocking to me...all this drama queen atmosphere that he seems to feed off over the past few years. I never pegged him for that type of person.

While I would NOT want to see him on tv as an analyst, ANYONE is better than Emmit Smith..the guy can not even put a complete sentence together without stumbling all over his words. He is painful to listen to, as he always seems so unsure of what he is trying to convey to the audience.

JPPT1974
02-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Never say never, about Favre though!

lilyoder6
02-11-2009, 10:20 PM
thats nice that favre says he wants 2 retire.. but as of what happened last yr.. i will only beleive it when he is not in uniform for opening weekend on the reg season

Benzbrother
02-11-2009, 10:29 PM
I really really really really really hope this is it....I liked him a lot until the shenanegans he pulled last year during the summer....boy did that get old after a while

SC Steeler Steve
02-11-2009, 11:31 PM
I really dont give a crap about his retirement. But I do understand how it is hard on him to retire, this man is definitly a high intensity competetitor. good luck to him...

Oh, and this is my 200th post BTW... :applaudit::wave::tt03::drink:

jev7452
02-12-2009, 12:20 AM
i really respect(ed) the man but i still think he should have just retired with green bay and i understand he "just wanted to play the game" but was it worth it?? granted he did bring one of the worst teams of 2007 very close to a playoff spot this year which most people seem to ignore, but still.. come on brett just hang up your jock strap

Frankie3521
02-12-2009, 12:33 AM

As much as I respect Brett for what he done on the field, I agree 100%.

Galax Steeler
02-12-2009, 03:55 AM
I have enjoyed watching Farve over the years his decision to retire if fine with me but I hope he stays retired instead of trying to pull what he did last year.Enjoy the retired life Brett.

Godfather
02-12-2009, 09:10 AM
In fairness to Brett, a lot of stars have done the same thing. How many times did Magic and Jordan and Lemieux unretire? And Warner is trying to decide whether to come back to Arizona next year. The difference is BSPN isn't making a circus out of it.

Steelcitygal87
02-12-2009, 09:19 AM
In fairness to Brett, a lot of stars have done the same thing. How many times did Magic and Jordan and Lemieux unretire? And Warner is trying to decide whether to come back to Arizona next year. The difference is BSPN isn't making a circus out of it.

Yes, other stars have done the same thing. It is not the fact that he retired and then came back to the game that I have a problem with, but rather more how he acted when he was in Green Bay by keeping them guessing as to his status from year to year. Him waiting till the last minute to give the Packers his decision(will I or won't I be coming back)wasn't being very fair to the organization at all. They needed to know in what direction to go with the team, which they couldn't do until they hear from Brett what his plans were. In my opinion he handled that whole situation very poorly.

Edman
02-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Jordan and Lemieux didn't retire and suddenly unretire like Brett did. They stepped out of the league for a few years then came back. Mike and Mario stayed true to their word. If they were retired. They were retired.

Neither of them made it a circus and hogtied their respective teams every offseason, they also didn't play like total crap when they returned either.

Brett could've had an amazing legacy worthy of respect to fall back on if he had hung it up years ago. But his ego continued to get the best of him. He's a tired deluded ancient resting on the laurels of his past glory of the 90's. The last time Brett was truly making a case for one of the best QB's of all time.

Steelcitygal87
02-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Jordan and Lemieux didn't retire and suddenly unretire like Brett did. They stepped out of the league for a few years then came back. Mike and Mario stayed true to their word. If they were retired. They were retired.

Neither of them made it a circus and hogtied their respective teams every offseason, they also didn't play like total crap when they returned either.

Brett could've had an amazing legacy worthy of respect to fall back on if he had hung it up years ago. But his ego continued to get the best of him. He's a tired deluded ancient resting on the laurels of his past glory of the 90's. The last time Brett was truly making a case for one of the best QB's of all time.

Are you saying because of his behavior( and sub par play for the most part) in past years, his legacy...all he accomplished ON the field, should not be respected now? Sorry, if I am misinterpreting.

SteelCurtain7
02-12-2009, 05:38 PM

Like someone else said, Mario and Michael actually stepped away for a few years before returning. Apples and oranges there. Also, Kurt hasn't played this game every off-season in the last three-four (as has Lord Favre). IMO, yours is a very poor argument.

Big D
02-12-2009, 05:42 PM
I have a gut feeling he isn't done. I think the minute the attention isn't on him he will go back to the jets and ask for his release and push to play for the vikings. The guy is an attention profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterprofanityfilter

TackleMeBen
02-12-2009, 06:01 PM
looks like he got smart, and got out of ny..lol..

SteelCurtain7
02-12-2009, 06:33 PM
The next John Carpenter flick will be

ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK II- THE BRETT FAVRE STORY. :rofl:

PAMillerGrrl83
02-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Blah Im sick of all the "Favre Talk" give it up already, its over. Thanks now and buh bye!

Preacher
02-12-2009, 07:52 PM
When the 09 season starts, and he isn't in a Football Uniform for ANY Team in the NFL, I'll believe it.

Now if mid season some team begs him to come back cause they are in dire straits, I won't blame him, but if he's on a roster in August or September, I'll lose tons of respect for the guy.

Exactly.

Steelcitygal87
02-14-2009, 06:02 AM
The writer calls Brett the most overrated athlete of our time.

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2009/02/12/favre-retires-again-say-its-so-brett-say-its-so/

When last Brett Favre retired, he wept. If he unretires again, I’ll weep. I never want to see him throw another interception. I feel like I’ve seen every one of them — all 310, if you’re counting — and yet I feel utterly alone in my opinion.

Which is this: Brett Favre is the most overrated athlete of our time.

More overrated than Nolan Ryan. More overrated than Patrick Ewing. More overrated than Ryne Sandberg. More overrated than James Worthy. More overrated than A-Rod.

Favre isn’t the greatest quarterback ever. He’s not even in the top 10. He’s 20th all-time in passer rating, 17th in completion percentage. Yes, he’s No. 1 in yardage and touchdown passes, but he’s also No. 1 by some distance in interceptions. Put it this way: If you added Peyton Manning’s and Joe Montana’s INTs together, you still wouldn’t match Favre’s massive total.

To Favre’s legion of admirers, he wasn’t just a quarterback but The Embodiment Of Football Itself. He was tough and he was daring and he got really excited and he played on the frozen tundra for the old-school Packers and … OK already! But he wasn’t the best quarterback Green Bay had seen — Bart Starr was better — and to me he wasn’t as good as the guy who nearly won a championship with the Arizona Cardinals.

That’s right. Kurt Warner. Who has won just as many titles as Favre, who has been to more Super Bowls, who has a better career completion percentage and a higher passer rating and a lower interception percentage but who had the misfortune of playing most of his career for the wrong Midwestern team in an unfrozen dome.

Unlike down-home Favre, Warner has never been seen as a real man’s man — no Wrangler ads — and hasn’t inspired the breathless adoration that John Madden and Peter King and every voice on ESPN lavished on Favre. Warner is considered a really good quarterback who throws a pretty ball and seems serious about his religion and has a talkative wife. Favre, as we know, is viewed as an icon.

And maybe he should be. Because “icon” begins with the letter “i” — just like “interception.” And just like “I quit.” And please oh please let him stay gone this time. The sport will somehow survive. Although, typically, a headline on ESPN.com Wednesday informed us “the NFL won’t be the same without him.”

No, it won’t. There’ll be fewer interceptions and much less gushing. And the thought of it makes me want to cry happy tears.

SteelCurtain7
02-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Nolan Ryan's overrated? Is this guy hitting the crack pipe or what? :rolleyes:

Steelcitygal87
02-15-2009, 05:54 AM
Nolan Ryan's overrated? Is this guy hitting the crack pipe or what? :rolleyes:

I couldn't believe he felt that way about Ryan either! Overrated?? :jawdrop:

KeiselPower99
02-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Would it be wrong of me to buy a Favre jersey??

Steelersfanforlife
02-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Brett Favre will never retire. he is going to be 90 years still playing in the NFL

Godfather
02-17-2009, 08:47 PM
The writer calls Brett the most overrated athlete of our time.

That writer is retarded.

Yes, he’s No. 1 in yardage and touchdown passes, but he’s also No. 1 by some distance in interceptions. Put it this way: If you added Peyton Manning’s and Joe Montana’s INTs together, you still wouldn’t match Favre’s massive total.

Let's apply this logic to baseball.

Cy Young is the most overrated pitcher of all time. Yes, he's #1 in wins, but he's also #1 in losses. Put it this way: If you added Perdo Martinez and Randy Johnson's losses together, you still wouldn't match Young's massive total.

Reggie Jackson is the most overrated hitter of all time. He's not even #1 in wins, but he is #1 in strikeouts. If you added Albert Pujols and Ken Griffey Jr.'s strikeouts together, you still wouldn't match Jackson's massive total.