PDA

View Full Version : Dog Poo and neighbors

Hammer67
02-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Ok...basically I am asking two things here: 1) Am I wrong? and 2) What would you do?

Backstory:

SO, I live in a nice, new, neighborhood out in the outer, more rural burbs of Detroit. My plan is about 1/4 complete...there is a mix of $300k to $750k homes and a few streets of condos (4 connected units per building with 2 car garages). Real nice places. I live in the end unit condo on a street. Past my end and next to us are empty lots, woods and fields. We share a common back yard for all four residences in a building and all four have back porches. Master bedrooms are on the first floor at the back, as well, right next to each porch.

My wife and I are 30ish and have a 4 month old. We also have a two year old chocolate lab. When he has to go, I go outside with him on a leash and he goes in the weeded empty lot next to us or in the yard which I then proceed to scoop and fling into the weeds in the lot next to me. I am on the end unit, remember. Now, my dog is always leashed and isn't real noisy outside....he is 90% indoor dog unless he is being walked or going somewhere.

My neighbor, who I am cordial with, is a DWM with two kids in high school. He has a little terrier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Highland_White_Terrier). Not a big deal but when he puts the dog out back on a lead, it yips nonstop until he brings him inside. Only annoying when the dog is directly under our bedroom window.

Now, his ex wife has started basically living with him. She has her own little "yip yip" dog, a long haired dachshund (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daschund). This dog is a freaking nightmare. His wife just leaves him outside, without a leash and he proceeds to run around the front and back yards barking AT EVERYTHING and nonstop. He taunts our lab from my back porch. This is bad enough, but because the lazy beeotch won't take him outside on a leash, the dog shits everywhere, mostly in their driveway and in the yard in the back. :poop: :poop:

Now, that's gross, and they don't clean it up. Their driveway is literally littered with bombs everywhere…I am afraid to go in the back because I know it will be a mess. It even shit on our driveway and porch.

Well…here's what I started doing. I can take the noise every so often, even if the dog causes mine to bark at 3:00am waking our baby. I can even take their teen's occasional keggers on the weekend where it sounds like beer pong is being played in our basement at 3:00am. But now I fling their dog's shit over to their driveway, sometimes on their porch, and I have been AUDIBLY shooing their dog away. :banging:

I don't want to be an jerk neighbor, but don't you think that is just poor neighborly etiquette? To just leave your dog roam at will when you let him out? I mean, I am very particular of where my dog goes and won't let him go in the neighbor's yards or even my own without cleaning it up.

Sorry for the Stephen King back-story, but it paints the picture…

revefsreleets
02-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Hire Newman. He'll make your little dog problem go away.

Seriously, you need to confront them. Letting a dog shit everywhere and not cleaning it up is total trailer park white trash, and you have to be firm with these people.

HometownGal
02-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I agree with revs here, hon. There is no excuse for their negligence and ignorance in not cleaning up the messes their dogs make not only on their property, but on YOURS. I would just nicely ask them to keep their dogs out of your yard and to be a little more cognizant of cleaning up after their dogs, as in the summer months especially, the smell will be ferocious! :poop: No one should have to put up with a neighbor's ignorance and total disregard for those who live around them.

If that doesn't work, be sure to leave a few little pieces of Chocolate X-Lax in their backyard as a special "treat". You will see the carpet cleaning truck in front of their house the next day and you and your wife can have a good laugh. :chuckle:

kittenfantastico76
02-11-2009, 11:15 AM
You definitely NEED to say something to them... let them know...I put up with your dogs noise, I put up with your kids noise.... I put up with your dogs roaming around, but I will NOT put up with the poo bombs everywhere!!! It's gross and I highly doubt it's good for anyone's health.

It's too bad you can't get a fence installed around your bit but if it's common ground... I guess it's not a option, and who wants to pay extra when the neighbor can lease the darn dogs and walk them.

Is there a community type person you can call about this? We have signs posted all over my dad's neighborhood - he's in a townhouse community, and it says you MUST pick up your dogs left overs or risk a fine, and the people that live there WILL call you in for it... and you WILL get ticketed...

I'm sorry you're dealing with this... I hate our back yard because it's filled with land mines from the dog... however, it's OUR yard, it's fenced, and we clean them up, she's just a huge poo machine in my opinion once it's done I feel like I have to do it again...

You have the right idea AND the right to voice this, go for it! It doesn't sound like you're close to your neighbors anyway... and further more, if the dogs yapping and teens parties are effecting your baby, that's a HUGE cause for concern... if your baby can't sleep... neither can you, and after a while... sleep makes you go mad... crazy... insane... tell them now and save yourselves a lot of headaches and pent up aggression!

p.s. I cant' STAND yappy dogs!!!! (Ours barks from time to time but gets called inside the minute she starts, out of respect for our neighbors... she's part Border Collie and we think lab).

kittenfantastico76
02-11-2009, 11:16 AM
p.s. if all else fails... collect their dog's poo, put it in a bag, sets it on the door step and lights it on fire!

"It's POOP again!"

Hammer67
02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Hire Newman. He'll make your little dog problem go away.

Seriously, you need to confront them. Letting a dog shit everywhere and not cleaning it up is total trailer park white trash, and you have to be firm with these people.

The guy is a little bit red neck...but not too bad, and we do get along. But god, clean up after that thing! It's not like we live in a trailer park...it's a nicer community. I know the lady on the other side of him is trying to sell...I can only imagine a realtor trying to show that place and seeing all the crap in the neighboring driveway!

:puke:

IronFan
02-11-2009, 11:28 AM
22LR.

Hammer67
02-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I don't mind the occasional party, they are teenagers and parties do happen. But the dog poop is the one thing that really bothers me.

One other thing they do, and there isn't much we can do about it, is that him and his wife chain smoke on their back porch...in the summer if our patio door and bedroom window are open, the smoke just flies in. That sucks.

Hammer Of The GODS
02-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Do what I did. I had a guy who lived in my development (homes in the 250k to 350k range) he lived about 12 houses down from me. Everyday he would walk past my house talking on his cell phone and his dog would do his bussiness and the guy NEVER picked it up. Well, in trying to be a good neighbor I let it slide the 1st two times he did it in my yard. On the third time I walked out to confront him about it. As I was POLITELY trying to tell him to clean up after his dog he never broke his conversation on the cell phone. All I got from him was a "whatever you say" and he turned to leave WITHOUT PICKING UP THE SHYTE. I said hey pick up this shyte. He turned and said it's not in my yard it's in yours and it belongs to you now. Then he started to tell the person on the cell phone about it with a laugh. Now I'm an ex Marine with some PTSD issues and I LOST it. I took the guys phone smashed it on the ground and grabbed him by his shirt and said the following.

You are going to pick up this shit and if I ever see you walking your dog near my yard again we will both be on the 6 o'clock news. You'll be headed for the ER and I will be in handcuffs. Look into my eyes and tell me you understand because I'm F'ing crazy and I WILL go to jail just to teach you some common decency.

Now I'm 6'5" 245lbs and he was all of 5'6" and just shocked that I didn't just walk away and allow him to be an arsehole. He promptly picked up his shyte (with his bare hand) and his cell phone. He never walked in front of my house with his dog again.

I am now the neighborhood hero because apparently this guy had been the neighborhood arsehole for 4 years. He continued to let his dog shyte in everyone elses yard after that so my neighbors asked me to talk to him.

Long story short, I told the guy to straighten up or I would take it upon myself to do it for him. It has been 2 years now and he has since moved away.

Point is that there are people out there who are just plain inconsiderate to other people. I have found that when these people don't respond to politeness they ALWAYS respond to CRAZY! I have NO TOLERANCE for a lack of commom courtesy or a lack of respect towards me.

SO GO FORTH AND PUT THE FEAR OF GOD IN THEM. As they most certainly deserve it.

PS. Be aware that sometimes these punks call the cops on ya. CRAZY often comes at a price. :chuckle:

7SteelGal43
02-11-2009, 11:34 AM
and that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I'm a cat person :wink02:
seriously, confront him, let him know you're not paying a big monthly mortgage to live in puppy sewage !!!!!

Hammer67
02-11-2009, 11:39 AM
SO GO FORTH AND PUT THE FEAR OF GOD IN THEM. As they most certainly deserve it.

PS. Be aware that sometimes these punks call the cops on ya. CRAZY often comes at a price. :chuckle:

I love your style. :drink:

Well, I am cordial with the guy so I will talk to him about it. I always hated the picky neighbor types that called the cops with everything. When I was growing up an older couple lived in the house next to us. She would rat us out every time we had friends over. My dad would say "I know they had people over Saturday night Irene..."

rbryan
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Ex Marine recon here, I have bit different take.

Don't say a word and start working on your "suprised face" for when he asks if you've seen his dogs.

Special Ops/black bag/ 4AM......... find a nice farmhouse somewhere out in the country......nuff said

tony hipchest
02-11-2009, 11:48 AM
take a plastic grocery bag and line your toilet with it. take a shit in it. pull the bag out and go dump the human turd on their porch. throw the bag away so it looks like you dropped trow right their and shit on their lawn.

revefsreleets
02-11-2009, 12:08 PM
and that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I'm a cat person :wink02:

Ca's are grosser. They poop in the house where it smells the whole joint up, and they walk over the poop and pee covered litter, then traipse it all over the house.

Yuck.

7SteelGal43
02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Ca's are grosser. They poop in the house where it smells the whole joint up, and they walk over the poop and pee covered litter, then traipse it all over the house.

Yuck.

hello, mcfly, it's called keeping the litter the box clean. and i'll have u know my house doesn't smell. dogs on the other hand. P. U. !!! :flap:

revefsreleets
02-11-2009, 12:20 PM
I've been in a million houses with cats, and even IF you clean the shit up right after they do it, it still reeks.

Dogs go outside. That trumps animal feces in the house everytime...

Hammer67
02-11-2009, 12:22 PM
hello, mcfly, it's called keeping the litter the box clean. and i'll have u know my house doesn't smell. dogs on the other hand. P. U. !!! :flap:

Actually, if you keep your dog semi clean and don't let them go out side and run around in mud, they don't smell at all. Some people just don't bath or brush their dogs. Mine gets brushed every day and bathed one once a month or whenever we go to a lake or in the woods.

It's just hygenic.

IronFan
02-11-2009, 12:27 PM
This thread is a great example of why I have to live in the woods though. Imagine the OP's complaint thread if he lived next to me and saw me taking a piss off my front porch in the morning or sighting in a handgun off my back deck in the evening after work.

I'm just not refined enough to live in an environment like that.

SCSTILLER
02-11-2009, 12:27 PM
take a plastic grocery bag and line your toilet with it. take a shit in it. pull the bag out and go dump the human turd on their porch. throw the bag away so it looks like you dropped trow right their and shit on their lawn.

Beat me to it. I was going to recommend collecting all of their dogs crap in the little bags and put it in a sealed trash can, not human crap but still the same. Then, when summer rolls around and they are smoking on their back porch, take all the little baggies and scatter it on their back porch with a nice little sign that says "CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR DOG!"

I kind of did this in my condo complex. A guy would never clean up after his dog in the common area between our condo's (and in the SC summer, it started to stink) even though I approached him about 5 times. I bagged up about 10 piles of his dogs crap and put it on his front porch with the same sign. I know he knows I did it because everytime he is outside with dog and poop bag he gives me a dirty look.

Of course, try talking to them first. Then if that doesn't work, try the above.

kittenfantastico76
02-11-2009, 12:29 PM

Don't say a word and start working on your "suprised face" for when he asks if you've seen his dogs.

Special Ops/black bag/ 4AM......... find a nice farmhouse somewhere out in the country......nuff said

:chuckle: All I can picture is Elaine, Kramer and Newman taking her neighbors barking dog out to a farmhouse in the country on Seinfeld.

SCSTILLER
02-11-2009, 12:30 PM

Uhhh, I live with both cat's and dogs (dog is mine, cats are hers). My dog is outside alot and he doesn't smell at all. I take great care of him. Her cats stink and you can't do anything about it cause the will take your arm off with their claws if you try to clean them. They are not rank or anything, but they are dirtier than the dog, hands down.

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Talk to the husband. The ex-wife will just think you're "being a mean person" She's apparently a flawed individual already allowing her dog to crap all over the place.

So just talk with Man of the house and explain to him that the "new" dog is running around pooping in your yard.

Don't bring up the barking unless it happens after hours and you can officially file a complaint with the city for violation of the noise ordinance.

Most likely, he'll talk to the woman, tell her to leash the dog, and either she will, or they will fight and she'll leave on her own.

If that doesn't work, do what I do, Own a Doberman. No neighbors or neigbor dogs mess with your house or yard when you have a Doberman. They leave you be. Trust me.

Hammer67
02-11-2009, 12:43 PM
This thread is a great example of why I have to live in the woods though. Imagine the OP's complaint thread if he lived next to me and saw me taking a piss off my front porch in the morning or sighting in a handgun off my back deck in the evening after work.

Actually, that would bother me less, since you are keeping it in your own yard.

And, don't get me wrong, most of the crap is in THEIR driveway....I have gotten rouge crap in mine as well as our back yard area.

I'm going to talk to him.

7SteelGal43
02-11-2009, 01:41 PM
ok ok, i have to apologize for bringin cats into this. (cats rule) cats and dogs both have their good points (cats rule) and both make fine pets (cats rule). please accept my most humble "i'm sorry" (cats rule) and let's move on :drink: truce, yeah ? (cats rule)

IronFan
02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
We have two dogs and two cats, living in harmony. Bigger dog fan than cat but my Battlecat kicks all kinds of ass. Dude's a killer.

SCSTILLER
02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
ok ok, i have to apologize for bringin cats into this. (cats rule) cats and dogs both have their good points (cats rule) and both make fine pets (cats rule). please accept my most humble "i'm sorry" (cats rule) and let's move on :drink: truce, yeah ? (cats rule)

Cats are good on the #7 at the Chop Suey Palace! Sorry, couldn't resist :chuckle:

Steel Mountain
02-11-2009, 04:30 PM

Seems like a lot of trouble to me. I would wait until 3:00 a.m. and just go take a dump on the front porch right in front of the door. I had a neighbor with a similar attitude. I used to scoop up his dogs crap and leave it on the hood of his fancy schmancy car. He got the idea real quick like w/o a word being said.

NJarhead
02-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Tie a Skunk out back for a couple days. Done deal. :thumbsup:

Hammer67
02-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Seems like a lot of trouble to me. I would wait until 3:00 a.m. and just go take a dump on the front porch right in front of the door. I had a neighbor with a similar attitude. I used to scoop up his dogs crap and leave it on the hood of his fancy schmancy car. He got the idea real quick like w/o a word being said.

Yeah, I have the same mentality, but the last thing I want to do is create a situation of animosity if it isn't needed. No sense in fueling the fire. I think there is a way to handle this by not sinking to the person's level of mentality.

While I want to take a dump on the guys porch with the rest of us, I have to think long term...I also have to respect the fact that we are cordial. The guy is just a slob. And that is a learned trait so his family is that way...if this is the worst situation I have to deal with then whatever...

Anyway, I know there is an ordinance and he can get fined. I think i am going to approach it this way. The association handles snow shoveling of the drives and sidewalks. I am going to tell him I ran into one of them who told me they were going to complain about it and that if I saw him I might want to let him know...hopefully he gets the hint.

MACH1
02-11-2009, 05:20 PM
We used to have neighbors like that, thank god they have since moved. They had little ankle biter yappy dogs and I had them trained to run and hide every time they heard the kitchen window open. :chuckle:

All it took was three, four pumps on the crossman and a well placed bb. You'll be amazed how quickly they learn to run and hide in their dog house. :laughing: Especially at those ungodly hours in the a.m.

revefsreleets
02-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Cats are good on the #7 at the Chop Suey Palace! Sorry, couldn't resist :chuckle:

Beat me to it. Mine was "I love cats...with some farva beans and a nice Chianti"

rbryan
02-11-2009, 06:50 PM
If you've eaten at enough Chinese joints or spent any time in the "exotic far east" (Okinawa for me) you've more than likely been served a lil kitty at some point.

Everything tastes like chicken with enough soy sauce.

SteelCurtain7
02-11-2009, 07:01 PM
p.s. if all else fails... collect their dog's poo, put it in a bag, sets it on the door step and lights it on fire!

"It's POOP again!"

"YOU'RE ALL GONNA DIE!" Billy Madison :rofl:

fansince'76
02-11-2009, 07:21 PM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/triumph.jpg

This thread....is begging....TO BE POOPED ON!!!!

:chuckle:

NJarhead
02-11-2009, 07:36 PM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/triumph.jpg

This thread....is begging....TO BE POOPED ON!!!!

:chuckle:

:rofl:

beSteelmyheart
02-11-2009, 09:26 PM
I feel for you, I really do. Barking dogs drive me absolutely insane. And it sucks to invest so much money in a home only to have some inconsiderate people ruin the peace & quiet that you've earned.
It would be very difficult for me to be civil, I've already gotten into it with a neighbor after yelling "Shut up!" at his barking dog & it never worked, anyway. But try to be civil. At first. (Personally I love Hammer OTG's approach!)
Cats or dogs, shit stinks, period. I enjoy the quiet company of my 2 cats, keyword being quiet.
If they don't take a civil hint then yes, I would get nasty, without getting arrested. If you get arrested make sure the dog is dead so that you don't have to deal with it after wards.:wink02: Be prepared for the woman to be a jerk about it, she's obviously clueless & will kknow that she can now use the situation as a weapon against you to get her jollies. That's when a few shit bombs would be in order!
Good luck, I hope it works out!

fansince'76
02-11-2009, 09:29 PM
If they don't take a civil hint then yes, I would get nasty, without getting arrested. If you get arrested make sure the dog is dead so that you don't have to deal with it after wards.:wink02:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Polamalu Princess
02-11-2009, 09:59 PM
:chuckle:Talk to them first and say that you are willing to help with a solution in the next few days. If they are willing to help and a plan can be made – WONDERFUL! Wait a week if they respond. If not, take all the poo from your baby and dog and throw it on the front lawn and ask questions later once they “get it.”

devilsdancefloor
02-11-2009, 10:08 PM
you covertly go over during the night and clean a good portion of it up in a plastic store bag and duct tape it to the bottom of drivers seat of their cars.:noidea::thumbsup:

T&B fan
02-11-2009, 10:33 PM

this could work . if not a well placed bowl of coolent will fix it ..

dam thats fun :laughing::laughing: and it almost sounds like you may have done this and thats even funnyer :rofl::rofl:

you my friend have it right why would you spend that much $$ on a house and still see your neighbor is just wronge ... I have not only piss from the front porch I have F on it ... as for shoting off the back deck done that too got a 6 point few yrs back less then 30 feet away ... almost could have jumpit and stuck him with my knife ...

sixstringlass
02-12-2009, 06:16 AM

"It's POOP again!"

My grandfather, who disliked most animals, period, lived next door to this couple who had probably 10 dogs. These neighbors let their dogs roam and do their business everywhere... other people's yards, on the road... everywhere.

Anyway, my grandpa got tired of stepping in dog doo when he didn't like dogs, much less own one, so, he started gathering up the dog poop in a wheelbarrow. After about a week, he went over to the neighbor's house on the way to work (he left for work at about 4 in the morning) and unceremoniously dumped it on the dog owner's lawn.

He must have done this ten or twelve times. The neighbors never got the point. Eventually, Grandpa sold the house and moved.

Hammer67
02-12-2009, 09:06 AM
My grandfather, who disliked most animals, period, lived next door to this couple who had probably 10 dogs. These neighbors let their dogs roam and do their business everywhere... other people's yards, on the road... everywhere.

Anyway, my grandpa got tired of stepping in dog doo when he didn't like dogs, much less own one, so, he started gathering up the dog poop in a wheelbarrow. After about a week, he went over to the neighbor's house on the way to work (he left for work at about 4 in the morning) and unceremoniously dumped it on the dog owner's lawn.

He must have done this ten or twelve times. The neighbors never got the point. Eventually, Grandpa sold the house and moved.

So I can imagine just this mountain of shit on the front yard...did they just leave it there? That would be gross.

sixstringlass
02-12-2009, 07:45 PM
So I can imagine just this mountain of shit on the front yard...did they just leave it there? That would be gross.

Yeah, they left it there. Eventually, they got it covered with dirt. Mt. Sh*t, as my father called it, was about 8 feet tall when Grandpa moved away.

My Dad always wanted to build a small catapult that he could fill with the lawn bombs from animals that were not his. He said he would then, when the catapult was full, give the bombs back to the person who owned the dog.

I think that would have been awesome. Never happened, though.

Hammer67
02-13-2009, 11:26 AM
nothing a few poisen meatballs can't take care of

Not unless your interested in jail time and animal cruelty, which I am not. I would rather poison the owners.

Hammer67
02-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Well, well....to top all this off, yesterday was trash day. Well, my neighbor the Redneck, puts his trash out the night before, not in lockable garbage bins, but in loose bags. Of course the wind blew them open and now there are bottles, paper towels, a dirty pillow, milk jug, and god knows what else blown down the street, in my yard and in the empty lot next to mine.

The stuff has been out there for two days.

I took my dog out (on a leash to go in the weeds) and ended up picking up abotu 5 pieces of his garbage from my side of the house and set them in a pile in front of his garage.

steelerbackr4life
02-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Well, well....to top all this off, yesterday was trash day. Well, my neighbor the Redneck, puts his trash out the night before, not in lockable garbage bins, but in loose bags. Of course the wind blew them open and now there are bottles, paper towels, a dirty pillow, milk jug, and god knows what else blown down the street, in my yard and in the empty lot next to mine.

The stuff has been out there for two days.

I took my dog out (on a leash to go in the weeds) and ended up picking up abotu 5 pieces of his garbage from my side of the house and set them in a pile in front of his garage.

Hopefully not to blow back onto your property :banging:
Thankfully I have great neighbors!

TeeJay
02-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Just get a cat - tit for tat and all that - seeing as Cat's only sh*t in other peoples gardens.

Only....just make sure it's a f**king big Cat.......a Lion will do it! :wink02: That'll really f**k up the lil German Dachs. (And make excellent piles on the neighbours lawn!) :thumbsup:

Failing that. just post it all back through their letter box, with a little 'thanks but no thanks' note.

beSteelmyheart
02-15-2009, 07:55 PM
In that sort of neighborhood, isn't there some kind of homeowners association?

Hammer67
02-16-2009, 03:24 PM
In that sort of neighborhood, isn't there some kind of homeowners association?

Sort of...as I said, the plan is about 1/5 complete so the Builders run the assosciation. That being said...I called them and here there have been multiple complaints already from others on the street. They have sent a couple letters and the owner of said assosciation is visiting the property tomorrow to check it out....fine to follow.

Word...