PDA

View Full Version : OK, you've had your two weeks.....

Crow-Magnon
02-11-2009, 09:29 AM
so, who's gonna win the AFC North this fall? :chuckle:

The Ravens are looking at some major FA hurdles and salary cap issues, so at this point, I'm not saying anything. :popcorn:

BlastFurnace
02-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Still celebrating. 2 weeks isn't long enough.
When you waited 26 years between SB's, you learn to appreciate them longer.

Get back with me in August.

Crow-Magnon
02-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Still celebrating. 2 weeks isn't long enough.
When you waited 26 years between SB's, you learn to appreciate them longer.

Get back with me in August.

26 years? Did you forget about SB XL in 2006?

BlastFurnace
02-11-2009, 09:51 AM
26 years? Did you forget about SB XL in 2006?

You must be alot younger than I am. For those of us who are older....the drought went from SB XIV to SB XL. That's 26 years between SB's.

I appreciated XL and I'm going to appreciate XLIII as well. 2 SB's in 4 years is not the norm.

Crow-Magnon
02-11-2009, 10:03 AM
You must be alot younger than I am. For those of us who are older....the drought went from SB XIV to SB XL. That's 26 years between SB's.

I appreciated XL and I'm going to appreciate XLIII as well. 2 SB's in 4 years is not the norm.

Probably not. It just sounded like you were saying you had been waiting 26 years for another Steeler SB win when it was only 3 years. :toofunny:

Hopefully we'll know a little more about where we think our seasons will be heading before August. But since Boller was still the Ravens starter as of August 2008, maybe not!

steelpride12
02-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Well Lets see come back and ask in June this Super Bowl is just to much!
We all know who is favored. With Suggs, Scott, and Ray-Ray possiby gone, your defense won't be much to talk about.

devilsdancefloor
02-11-2009, 10:13 AM
id say at least wait until june a few weeks after the draft! but if you want my answer it would be ths same answer you would get from me if we went 1-15 last year the steelrs are gonna win the AFC North Title:tt03::tt03::tt03:

Crow-Magnon
02-11-2009, 10:13 AM
We all know who is favored. With Suggs, Scott, and Ray-Ray possiby gone, your defense won't be much to talk about.

I see one gone. Maybe Ray, maybe Scott. Suggs will stay, franchise tag or not. We have some other good LB's anyway, like McClain and Barnes. I'm sure the Ravens defense will still be a good one.

steelerdave1969
02-11-2009, 10:16 AM
I think you got to look at the Steelers as the favorites to win the AFC North again in '09. They beat the Ravens last season everytime given the opportunity and then there is Cleveland and Cincinnati. I really think the Bengals offense can get back to where they were in '05 and if they can keep T.J. and just let mouthman move on and they can work on that running game in the upcoming draft they should be tough to beat again in '09. Cleveland had its season ruined with injuries to their 2 star QB's. I still think the Browns can be a good offense with just a little help, they must get some running game to go with a decent passing game when QB's are healthy.
The Ravens are or should still be very tough on defense and if they can keep that Big Mouth Ray Lewis on the team they have one of the best leaders in the league.
But I think the Steelers still have the team to beat in the AFC North.:tt02:

rbryan
02-11-2009, 10:18 AM
I really hope they break the bank for oveRAYted Lewis. That will be the final nail in the Ravens coffin IMO. Hopefully the FO in Baltimore is still drinking the Ray Ray kool aide.

Fearless forcast: Ravens sign Lewis and criple themselves in regards to thier salary cap, franchise Suggs only to have him pitch a fit and sit out. Bart Scott leaves in FA. Ratbirds finish 3 games behind the Steelers in a 3 way tie for last with the Browns and Bunglers.

steelreserve
02-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Well, I think the Steelers are going to only get better, the Ravens will lose a few guys and get slightly worse, and the Bengals and Browns can only get better but they're in such a hopeless position that it won't be nearly enough this year.

We've got no big FA losses, our No. 1 pick from last year will be back, we have a chance to improve our offensive line, plus we'll see who we can pick up in the draft. In fact, last year's rookies barely saw any time on the field, so it'll almost be like we get two draft classes at once this year.

Don't get me wrong -- Baltimore will still be a factor, and depending on whether Flacco advances or has a sophomore slump, they've got a good shot at the playoffs again. But we've got the same team as last year with a few additions, plus an easier schedule. Barring some rash of injuries, we ought to be up there with the best of them again.

drizze99
02-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Not to sound "homer-ish" but the favorite going in has to be the Steelers.

The Ratbirds have too many issues with the cap and FA's plus the fact that they lost some coaches including the D coord, Rex Ryan.

The Shitstains have been rebuilding since they joined the NFL for the 2nd time.

The Bungholes will be the same ol' Bungholes.....

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-11-2009, 10:30 AM

James Lironitis to the Balt Ravens. Well see a different Baltimore next year, the offense might have to carry the Defense. Flacco can only get better but does he have to tools around him to do so??? The defense on the ohter hand have been riding the same guys for too long and finally might be hitting the end of the road. Got a lot of work to there Ozzie.

The Bengals look like they are going to lose BOTH of the name brand players Chad Johnson and Housemanzadah . Yikes, plus everyone has already forgotten about Palmer. You never know he could come back and still be great!, But he will not have the his favorite targets to through too. Its looking really bad for Cincy

The Browns probably have the worst luck I have ever seen. They were ready to turn a new leaf with Quinn, then he gets hurt. But the browns are one healthy season away of being playoff contender. There Offense is atleast, they might want to look in a long turn back, maybe snatch Derrick Ward from the Giants. Their Defense needs a lot of improvement to go far in the post season

As for the STEELERS , my total unbiased opinion :laughing:

The steelers might have the Ace in the hole with Mendenhall. His season ended before he even got to warm up. Damn you RAY :banging: But if Colbert and Tomlin find a answer to fix the Oline and we have 3 healthy RBs in Parker, Mendhall, Moore. We might just be able to bring back the smash mouth offense that all of us Steeler fans feel comfortable with. Plus the Run will open more for the Passing, and less sacks !!! Eureka!! Brilliant!! :drink:

As for our Defense, yikes! If we can sign Mcfadden back and trade off Foote, we pretty much will have all of our starters back next year. Plus the addition of some SPEED from Lawrence Timmons will fun to watch next year.

So my guess is
Steelers
Skid Marks
Ratbirds
Bungels

steelballs
02-11-2009, 10:32 AM

The Ravens are looking at some major FA hurdles and salary cap issues, so at this point, I'm not saying anything. :popcorn:

That's a smart decision on your part. You guys have some real issues to resolve before you even know what the makeup of your team will be next year, let alone predict the AFC North title.

I think the Steelers are favorably situated to take the AFC title again this year. I don't see the Browns or Bengals making much of a move, so if the Ravens don't compete with us, I think it's 3 in a row for the good guys.

slippy
02-11-2009, 11:00 AM
no rex ryan is gonna hurt.

Dino 6 Rings
02-11-2009, 11:08 AM
I predict the Steelers will win the AFC North/Central for the 20th time.

Tying the amount all the other teams have combined. Bengals 7, Browns 6, Titans/Oilers 3, Jags 2, Ravens 2.

Yep, The True Power of the AFC North is without a doubt the Pittsburgh Steelers. Its our Crown, Our Title, we are the Kings of that Hill.

Steely McSmash
02-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Steelers # 1 of course. With the fluffy schedule next year games w/in division will be critical.

Ravens are obvious #2. The D will lose a key player at LB. The front line is good and maybe improving. QB will be better as well. Coach getting experience as well.

Browns are finally trying out the 3rd coach from the NE superbowl team. expect same results...

Cincinatti will be a mess.

stlrtruck
02-11-2009, 11:38 AM
I'd have to say it's the Steelers right now then it will flip flop between the ratbirds and the clowns with the bungals solidifying the basement position.

And according to Ray Lewis the year after the ratbirds won the Super Bowl, he said, "Until another AFC North team wins the Super Bowl, the ravens will be the team to beat!"

So with that in mind, looks like the Steelers will be tops for years to come.

lardlad
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm taking more than two weeks.

KeiselPower99
02-11-2009, 12:12 PM
To be the man ya gotta beat the man!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! And no one right now can overthrow us

MaidenIndiana
02-11-2009, 12:36 PM
To be the man ya gotta beat the man!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

You got to walk down that aisle and look the other guy in the eye WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

aries4972
02-11-2009, 12:54 PM
You got to walk down that aisle and look the other guy in the eye WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Nature Boy:thumbsup:

SteelCityKing
02-11-2009, 01:12 PM

i can't wait until the Ravens and Steelers play and all 3 of those players are missing in action. i want to hear what the Ravens have to say about their defense then. i want to hear them whine, cry, and b**ch about how they lost all of their good players to other teams. because you know it's going to happen.

until then, let's sit back idly waiting for the hammer to fall in Baltimore and see what happens when we play the Ravens next season. =)

Crow-Magnon
02-11-2009, 01:13 PM
no rex ryan is gonna hurt.

I will miss Rex a lot. But I said, and heard, the same thing when Marvin left, and (maybe not as much) when Nolan left. I think the D will be fine. Unless, of course, the LB corps is truly decimated.

It really is a long wait until training camp, isn't it?

Crow-Magnon
02-11-2009, 01:15 PM
i can't wait until the Ravens and Steelers play and all 3 of those players are missing in action. i want to hear what the Ravens have to say about their defense then. i want to hear them whine, cry, and b**ch about how they lost all of their good players to other teams. because you know it's going to happen.

until then, let's sit back idly waiting for the hammer to fall in Baltimore and see what happens when we play the Ravens next season. =)

Do you honestly believe all three wil be gone? I certainly don't.

I see one gone for sure. Maybe two, but not all three.

SteelersinCA
02-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Only one piece of the Ravens puzzle gets better, the QB, the rest is slowly eroding into old age.

Steelers are still the team to beat.

SteelCityKing
02-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Do you honestly believe all three wil be gone? I certainly don't.

I see one gone for sure. Maybe two, but not all three.

IF they lose all 3 players, then it'll be a hell of a season for the Ravens. and i mean pure hell. but, i don't think they'll lose all 3. i'm sure they'll retain Ray Lewis. he's the heart of that team for sure.

i'm honestly excited about seeing what Flacco can do. but i'm not gunning for them in the least bit.

SteelCityKing
02-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Only one piece of the Ravens puzzle gets better, the QB, the rest is slowly eroding into old age.

that seems to be the general consensus around these parts! haha!

SteelersinCA
02-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Double post dunno how that happened, sorry.

Fire Haley
02-11-2009, 01:54 PM

What's not to love?

It can only get better - when we get Ben some decent protection - he will be unstopable next year.

We should get an extra 3rd rd comp pick for Faneca (wonder how he feels right now), so that should help.

Cap looks good, all the pieces still in place, a healthy Mendenhall coming back stronger, #1 defense returning.

Life is good.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Crow, I think they will find a way to keep Lewis and Suggs.......unless the Cowboys really throw a lot of $$ at Ray.

Will need to draft a CB as that was a big area of concern and ...........what is the deal with your Center Brown?? No chance to resign him or is there a decent replacement there already?? Everybody has him going in FA, but they could resign him.

I think its gonna be another dogfight in the North if Lewis stays, but the reality is that the Steelers only stand to lose McFadden and some average O line players. We really should return a better team than this season, so I say the Steelers win it again.

AllD
02-11-2009, 02:52 PM
I see one gone. Maybe Ray, maybe Scott. Suggs will stay, franchise tag or not. We have some other good LB's anyway, like McClain and Barnes. I'm sure the Ravens defense will still be a good one.

Lose a Defensive Coordinator and an impact player, you don't easily go deep into the playoffs. It takes a year at least to focus and find an identity.

If the Steelers stay healthy and fix the line there is no reason for them not to repeat. It's in the tea leaves.

markymarc
02-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Let's see how FA and the draft plays out first.

touchdownward
02-11-2009, 09:37 PM
We're still reigning World Champs until next February. :tt02:

lilyoder6
02-11-2009, 10:21 PM
i think the ravens also need 2 draft a wr ealry in the draft.. mason is 35 i beleive and clayton is a roller coaster... i think they need 2 pick 1 up...

stlrtruck
02-12-2009, 08:07 AM
I've thought about this thread and to be honest with you TWO WEEKS IS NOT ENOUGH!!!

I'm going to enjoy this in to the summer and into the heart of hurricane season. So I'll relinquish my joy about this victory come training camp!

Jackal
02-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Actually, I'm fairly certain I'll still be enjoying this come training camp...and Opening Day...and the Playoffs.

I think I'll stop enjoying this if, and only if, a new champ is crowned at SB 44.

revefsreleets
02-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Flacco will have a sophomore slump, too. I see the Rats leveling out around 8-8 or 9-7.

joeyssteelcurtain
02-12-2009, 11:17 AM
That's simple We are the steelers I will be the first to say it 13-3 see you guys in South F.L

First to 4 first 6 first 7 :tt02::tt02:

steelerchad
02-12-2009, 11:41 AM
I think we have alot going for us that we didn't have last year.
1. On paper, our schedule looks much more favorable.
2. McFadden is our biggest free agent potential loss, which is not bad for a SuperBowl winner.
3. Our O-line played better down the stretch. If we can tweek it a little by adding 1 additional piece it should be an improvement.
4. Mendenhall will be back and should help our underperforming running game.

In addition, I think our key competition, The Ravens will be weaker than this year. Yes, Flacco will have a year under his belt. But they are due to lose a solid LB and that defense is aging. Loss of Rex Ryan should hurt as well. I think the defense falls from #2 to somewhere around #5-10.
The Ravens also play the 2nd place schedule, which means Pats and Colts instead of Dolphins and Titans for us. I think we have a little bit of a break there as well.

For all the reasons above, I think we win the North and the Ravens may not even be 2nd next year.

Morgan
02-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Favorable schedule bad. Better to have a touch schedule and a lower seeding. How many #1 seeds have won the S.B. in the last few years?

lilyoder6
02-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Flacco will have a sophomore slump, too. I see the Rats leveling out around 8-8 or 9-7.

i can see them having a hard time next yr.. if they have 2 replace brown, there starting center, and then we don't know how the loss of ryan will affect the team, and who they lose between the 3 lb's...

HometownGal
02-12-2009, 02:25 PM

Certainly not the Rats. :flap: You've got to find a way to beat us first before even thinking about wearing that crown.

Stlrs4Life
02-12-2009, 05:04 PM

2 weeks? We have until Next Feb when they play SB XLIV. And I don't make predictions.

tony hipchest
02-12-2009, 07:29 PM
it still seems like it was just last weekend, and i dont think ive ever gotten over the high of sb XL cause it just proved we can win it any year.

i wont get off this high until we win the next one.

i hear "Time Stands Still" by RUSH in my head, anytime i think of this (or any) thread about putting this season on the shelf.

it was historic in so many ways.

and the lore will only get better with the passing of time.

stillers4me
02-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Didn't the groundhog say we had 6 more weeks of celebration?